Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

100th ascent of Howth for 2015 today, and what a day for it

Howth100_zpsc6hdgkzh.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Up at 6am, took in 59km @29.8 average to start the day the right way.... blah blah :D
    Was chilly until 7am but was superbly pleasant. Except for NW wind the dirty thing! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

RonanCFD wrote: »
    100th ascent of Howth for 2015 today, and what a day for it

Howth100_zpsc6hdgkzh.jpg
    Don't know whether to look at the view or the steed. Either way, nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Luxman wrote: »
    Don't know whether to look at the view or the steed. Either way, nice

In fairness both are pretty special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Lovely evening so decided to head for the hills around Ardclough after work. Halfway up Boston Hill was asking myself why :D

Still hit PBs on nearly every segment which I'm very happy about. Averaged over 31 on Dowdstown to Barberstown. A year ago i was happy with a 25 average.

http://www.strava.com/activities/322576878

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

34k, 495m, 23.2kph avg. A couple of loops around Forth Mountain. First spin since Wicklow 200. Went out planning to just take it nice and easy and loosen up the auld legs but found myself pushing hard on segments and grabbing a couple of PBs. Gorgeous evening. Happy out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely evening for it. just a 36k spin around st margarets/kilbride etc., 27.1km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Glorious weather today, had a delightful 28k spin around the Park out to Chappo and back home again via the Liffey and the Grand Canal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Today was the first time my legs felt like legs since the Wicklow 200 so i did a fairly handy 21kms this evening. First time this year i wore just shorts and a jersey but was still quite cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

50k in the glorious sun. 5k in I was thinking should have worn sun cream. Arms are a bit red now, but who cares? It beats the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

39km with the club spin, 2nd spin of the day and the legs were telling me about it all the time.
    Westport to Louisburgh, glorious day. Average 36.6kmph.
    94 for the day. Think I might not rise at 6am for another spin in the morning! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yop wrote: »
    Average 36.6kmph.:D
    jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

50km this evening - but I am wondering was everyone, on their way from Howth to Dublin, doing 40kmph+ as I thought I had a good day yet I must have been the most overtaken cyclist ever... couldn't even catch up with one female rider, but there was an upside to that in a form of interesting views :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

omri wrote: »
    50km this evening - but I am wondering was everyone, on their way from Howth to Dublin, doing 40kmph+ as I thought I had a good day yet I must have been the most overtaken cyclist ever... couldn't even catch up with one female rider, but there was an upside to that in a form of interesting views :D

Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

omri wrote: »
    50km this evening - but I am wondering was everyone, on their way from Howth to Dublin, doing 40kmph+ as I thought I had a good day yet I must have been the most overtaken cyclist ever... couldn't even catch up with one female rider, but there was an upside backside to that in a form of interesting views :D

fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Very windy out there this evening. The chilliness is still there too. 22km after 23km yesterday evening. Not too bad. Being inactive for a month with a bad back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Swords 10 mile TT last night. Not much to report except for being passed by I think Colm Cassidy who had his nose stuck right up the backside of a derny who was motor pacing him. He ripped past me like I wasn't moving even though I had an average of over 40kph! Made to feel real normal after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Christ it's freezing out there!

Got 90k in. Lucan - Ardclough - Kill -Eadestown - Lap of a Blessington Lake - Saggart - Lucan.

Temperature dropped considerable as I cycled. Was wearing base layer and a jersey but had to stop to put on gilet and casquette. Really missed not having arm warmers or a heavier jersey.

Still a lovely route and great to get out.
    Splendid pear and crozier blue salad in Grangecon cafe, but jeez their espresso sucks. Stiff (and chilling) headwind from Blesso to Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

ROK ON wrote: »
    Christ it's freezing out there!

Got 90k in. Lucan - Ardclough - Kill -Eadestown - Lap of a Blessington Lake - Saggart - Lucan.

Temperature dropped considerable as I cycled. Was wearing base layer and a jersey but had to stop to put on gilet and casquette. Really missed not having arm warmers or a heavier jersey.

Still a lovely route and great to get out.
    Splendid pear and crozier blue salad in Grangecon cafe, but jeez their espresso sucks. Stiff (and chilling) headwind from Blesso to Lucan.

Was out that way myself, chapelizod to blessington, lap of lake and back again. First time out there, i hit blessington before the lap which was a mistake. By the time i got around i wasnt going back to blessington for coffee.

Cold enough alright but glad I went out. Another goal reached for me. Had coffee and ice cream when i got home to make up for no coffee stop.

Edit: Had been warned about roads from saggart to blessington for quality/speed of cars (by non-cyclist admittedly). Roads were grand, hard shoulder most of the way in great condition. And I can honestly say that every car gave me loads of space on the sections with no shoulder, more than needed really but I'm not gonna argue with them about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

N81 is my daily commute keeping a close eye for boardsie jerseys but nothing spotted yet. I often wonder who then, if any, are boardsies? still waiting to spot somebody:)
    brianomc wrote: »
    Was out that way myself, chapelizod to blessington, lap of lake and back again. First time out there, i hit blessington before the lap which was a mistake. By the time i got around i wasnt going back to blessington for coffee.

Cold enough alright but glad I went out. Another goal reached for me. Had coffee and ice cream when i got home to make up for no coffee stop.

Edit: Had been warned about roads from saggart to blessington for quality/speed of cars (by non-cyclist admittedly). Roads were grand, hard shoulder most of the way in great condition. And I can honestly say that every car gave me loads of space on the sections with no shoulder, more than needed really but I'm not gonna argue with them about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I was on my way home yesterday morning on the N11 northbound. The head wind I was facing into explained how I had managed 62kmh through Glen O'Downs southbound on my way out.

Anyway, at the junction for the Glenview Hotel I spot a tractor coming on to the N11 from the side road so gallantly I pull in and wave him past-then pedal like the clappers to get the draft. All the way to Kilmac at 45kmh with no effort! Not just that but the driver indicated every action before he did it. When we approached Kilmac he indicated left, tooted the horn and gave me a left signal with his arm. Cue a big thumbs up from me and a return wave from the farmer.

Obviously these tactics were not new to him but chapeau all the same to this man. He gave me a dig out just when I needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not freezing here! 25 degrees now at 9pm almost!
    Just back from a hilly 30k after getting the kids to bed - my new evening spin route. Not easy (for me)

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/800964545

Must be making progress, got a few PRs

https://app.strava.com/activities/323397078

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

got a big scare this morning along Ormond Quay when a big fookin coach decided to hug me, i scared the sh1t out of some american tourists as I roared some choice words at the pox driving it(what a waste of time, shouting at a bus!) my heart rate went up several notches, i never even took the reg number of company name to complain I was that shook Im more annoyed over that than anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

due to other commitments, booze, crap diet and laziness ive not done a properish spin in 5 weeks but last few days been bugging me not been out so headed out for a quick 15km spin up over howth and back home. i think the progress in fitness & stamina id built from february to may has well and truly gone down the swany and im back to square 1. Feel fecked after now and heart rate monitor was getting readings above what id normally get. stravas telling me i set 2 PRs & my 2nd best tiem on that route. think i might go out for another lap later though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Tis a tough life.

Went up on the MTB for the first time in a while for a night spin. Snapped my chain just after this picture. Went to fix it only to realise that I left my spare links in my other Camel Back.

Freewheeled back to the car.

351837.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Monday took my usual loop up around Cruagh and the featherbeds. Saw a grey-hooded crow eating the ar$e out of a dead fawn at the Cruagh/Tibradden junction...:(
    Then chanced the roadworks in Enniskerry; doubled back as the surface was gravelly and lost my balance. Clipped out with the left foot and fell to the right. Numpty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

cjt156 wrote: »
    Monday took my usual loop up around Cruagh and the featherbeds. Saw a grey-hooded crow eating the ar$e out of a dead fawn at the Cruagh/Tibradden junction...:(
    Then chanced the roadworks in Enniskerry; doubled back as the surface was gravelly and lost my balance. Clipped out with the left foot and fell to the right. Numpty!
    sorry that you fell & i honestly hope your not hurt, but your story made made me smile cos thats the kind of sh1te that happens to me!

44km around north county dublin this evening. perfect conditions for it; not too hot and not too cold.
    i'm back on the bike just over two months and thought i'd hit a plateau, but it's coming together nicely; i'm back up to being able to put in 27kph+ over 40 or 50k and not feeling like i've banjaxed myself before i get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

62.9km today, breaking in the new steed. Set out without any particular route in mind, and ended up going Clonsilla - Dunboyne - Summerhill - Kilcock - Maynooth - Leixlip (including a first go at Captain's Hill) and back to Clonsilla. Average moving speed of 29.1km/h, which is a good deal better than my best average over that distance on the other bike, and it included about 15 PBs on Strava.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Tour de South Roscommon today
    117km 3h38m elev 656m 32kph avg
    wore the full new Boards kit, grand
    a bit chilly at the start, most had arm warmers, warmed up later

good organization, great food, (esp the home made scones with clotted cream and raspberry jam, scoffed a lot of em at the end in Clann na Gael GAA clubhouse)

https://www.strava.com/activities/324703705

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement