Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Post W200 I stayed off the bike till thursday :D

It was 200km.

200km with a lot of climbing.

I wouldn't drive 200km for a "day out" if I was paid for it! (Unless it was a lot of money) Note: Will drive 200km for a day out for a lot of money.

Did a few hill reps on Thursday morning to make sure the legs were OK :) Same on Friday too and I was gutted that I had to go to work as I was just getting warmed up at 20km with 350m climbed. It was a beautiful morning.

Ended up having just a gas day out on the bike today!

There was no "Saturday early morning" spin due to people being on holidays so I headed out with the Laurels Training/Charity Crew at 9:30am. (All are welcome btw, Just get to the Laurels pub in Clondalkin pre 9:30am)

The legs were fine but I decided to bunny hop a few speed ramps at the end in Newcastle and got a puncture and lost the group, they thought I split off from them. :(

Got home with 86 km done @ 25.2 average and couldn't persuade the missus to go out for a few km with me so I decided to do a few hill reps to take me over the 100km mark, due to OCD issues :)

Ended up at the DSPCA were there was a Family day out event with barbecues/candyfloss and some good craic.

Result!

One lovely filthy fattening hot dog for one please!

It was a great day out on the bike.

I'm prone to taking a lot of pics (as people i'm friends with on Strava can attest to :D ) when I am out and about and while taking some of my bike with some Star Wars people in the background, one of the girls from the DSPCA took my phone off me and told me to get in with them.

I didn't really have a choice!

Sometimes it's sh1t to be alive, sometimes it's great.

This was one of those great times.

102km done with 680m climbed. 24.3 avg but I am all about the meters climbed!

Starwars!
    2e211d5.jpg

Lovely hot dog.

154as6b.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

116km before breakfast.

A lot of drunks out this morning. Was stopped for directions to Loughlinstown in Dundrum. Had some yobs chase me with golf flags. This was before 6am!

A few scotts lads getting early flights too. They looked worse for wear!

https://www.strava.com/activities/324997987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

godtabh wrote: »
    116km before breakfast.

A lot of drunks out this morning. Was stopped for directions to Loughlinstown in Dundrum. Had some yobs chase me with golf flags. This was before 6am!

A few scotts lads getting early flights too. They looked worse for wear!

https://www.strava.com/activities/324997987

Convenient alright, did you need anything on bike?

At least the drunks weren't in the cars. Always in the back of my mind when out early morning at weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Post W200 I stayed off the bike till thursday :D

It was 200km.

200km with a lot of climbing.

I wouldn't drive 200km for a "day out" if I was paid for it! (Unless it was a lot of money) Note: Will drive 200km for a day out for a lot of money.

Did a few hill reps on Thursday morning to make sure the legs were OK :) Same on Friday too and I was gutted that I had to go to work as I was just getting warmed up at 20km with 350m climbed. It was a beautiful morning.

Ended up having just a gas day out on the bike today!

There was no "Saturday early morning" spin due to people being on holidays so I headed out with the Laurels Training/Charity Crew at 9:30am. (All are welcome btw, Just get to the Laurels pub in Clondalkin pre 9:30am)

The legs were fine but I decided to bunny hop a few speed ramps at the end in Newcastle and got a puncture and lost the group, they thought I split off from them. :(

Got home with 86 km done @ 25.2 average and couldn't persuade the missus to go out for a few km with me so I decided to do a few hill reps to take me over the 100km mark, due to OCD issues :)

Ended up at the DSPCA were there was a Family day out event with barbecues/candyfloss and some good craic.

Result!

One lovely filthy fattening hot dog for one please!

It was a great day out on the bike.

I'm prone to taking a lot of pics (as people i'm friends with on Strava can attest to :D ) when I am out and about and while taking some of my bike with some Star Wars people in the background, one of the girls from the DSPCA took my phone off me and told me to get in with them.

I didn't really have a choice!

Sometimes it's sh1t to be alive, sometimes it's great.

This was one of those great times.

102km done with 680m climbed. 24.3 avg but I am all about the meters climbed!

Starwars!
    2e211d5.jpg

Lovely hot dog.

154as6b.jpg

102km in full stormtrooper kit? - chapeau mate! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ford2600 wrote: »
    Convenient alright, did you need anything on bike?

At least the drunks weren't in the cars. Always in the back of my mind when out early morning at weekend.

Food wise? I brought some GCN energy bars with me. Kept me going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Headed up Kippure from Cruagh nice and early today. Descended via Stocking Lane and then headed over to Bohernabreena and up Glenismole/Cunard. There was a group from Moynalty heading up there and I asked one of them where they were going, Kippure they said. "Tough enough, I've been up there already " says I. "You're not going again are you?" and right there and then it was like a red rag to a bull. "Well I am!!! " says I. Off up again I went but the feckers from Moynalty didn't.
    Christ was it tougher the second time. However I took a rest at the top and a few more cyclists showed up, among them a chap in a Boards top so I introduced myself and it turned out to be Alek!
    We chatted and headed down together. I was glad of the company because as we hit the featherbeds I came awful close to a bonk and if I hadn't had the moral support and or too much pride to die in front of a fellow Boardsie I'd probably have keeled over :)
    I crammed my mouth full of Fruit Pastilles and made it through the worst of it and we parted ways at the bottom of Stocking lane. Proper gent you are Alek, Hopefully we'll run into each other again.
    My Garmin died on the descent but I got the TCX file from Map My Ride on the Phone. You'll have to take my word for it that I kept the HR firmly in Z2-Z3 all day and my cadence was 100+ all the way around ;)
    I'm claiming the 100 on this as 2xKippure should get a bonus 5km :)
    98.7km, 2115m climbing in 4:46:35
    And I'm fking wrecked.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/325219397

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Set myself a target of 500km for the week, passed it this morning on a short 50km from Dundrum - Enniskerry - Glencree - Military Road - Johnny Foxes - Dundrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Great Western Lakes Sportive in Mayo.

Amazing scenery.
    Very well organised and marshalled.

135km
    4 hours 50 mins
    882m climbing.
    27.9km/hr avg
    60km/hr max speed.
    3570 kcals

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Blackrock fun cycle, 10k with the 5 year old on her new Frog bike. Good crowd at it enjoying the sun, great to see a load of youngsters getting into it. Thanks to dlr county council for organising.
    No KOMs tho :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Got out for a couple of hours, which will have to tide me over for the week as herself is away so I'll be on childminding duties as well as work. 68k with an ave of 27.7 and over 500m climbing - which seemed to be all in one hill!.
    The weather on Garmin connect said it was 20 degrees, but riding back near home there's a thermometer on a sign that read 27, and I definitely got some sun (more on one arm than the other..)

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/804105071

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

That was one glorious day to be on a bike! 48kms Greystones to Dalkey and back. An absolute joy to be out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Glasnevin out to Trim in a light NW wind, across to Bettystown via Duleek in a NE wind, home via Naul and Oldtown with no wind at all. Some beautiful quiet roads east of Snowtown where I came across a large bird of prey tucking into a pigeon. It looked a bit pissed off at being disturbed but the pigeon looked worse.
    Last training spin before heading out to Genoa next weekend for the Hospice cycle to Rome. Will find out fairly quickly if I have done enough training as it's 135k and 2,650m the first day. Only 775m today over much the same distance in 5 hours.
    Gave the new Boards jersey it's first outing today and bitterly disapointed at no hails or mentions in Sightings. Maybe I'll have more luck in Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Gorey - Arklow - Woodenbridge - Aughrim - Carnew - Hollyfort - Gorey. Just under 80 at just over 29kph, longest solo spin I've ever done. Was pushing hard a lot of the way, kind of disappointed not to get into low 30s having done W200 at 26.6kph average...obviously big difference when not in a big group.

Was chased twice by a pair of dogs, one time in particular I was really freaked, big angry looking things and very persistent. I roared at them as I sprinted away, they kept coming for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Glasnevin out to Trim in a light NW wind, across to Bettystown via Duleek in a NE wind, home via Naul and Oldtown with no wind at all. Some beautiful quiet roads east of Snowtown where I came across a large bird of prey tucking into a pigeon. It looked a bit pissed off at being disturbed but the pigeon looked worse.
    Last training spin before heading out to Genoa next weekend for the Hospice cycle to Rome. Will find out fairly quickly if I have done enough training as it's 135k and 2,650m the first day. Only 775m today over much the same distance in 5 hours.
    Gave the new Boards jersey it's first outing today and bitterly disapointed at no hails or mentions in Sightings. Maybe I'll have more luck in Italy?

Enjoy Italy Mercian pro, I am beyond jealous. Best of luck with the spins, hopefully the hailstones on sallygap in the mb160 will have you properly acclimatised for the Italian peaks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

63km today Dun Laoghaire - Howth - Castleknock - Dun Laoghaire. Had to take 15min break after 50km to visit family in Castleknock. Toughest last 13km Ive done. Legs were so heave but happy with the spin - in future will not take any breaks. Will ask the family to get in the support vehicle if they want to see me :) (and privide with sticky can of coke and bread sticks).

Lovely day for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

happyhappy wrote: »
    Enjoy Italy Mercian pro, I am beyond jealous. Best of luck with the spins, hopefully the hailstones on sallygap in the mb160 will have you properly acclimatised for the Italian peaks!!

Thanks happyhappy. I think I missed the hailstones - it's amazing how the weather can change in 5 minutes:)

4Tv5MP.jpg

This is a summary of what lies ahead. The best known climb is Monte Serra near Pisa first thing on Day 3. We will have Paul Kimmage along to lead us out and to make sure we stay clean!

If I am not too knackered and the wi-fi works, I will try to post a few reports along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Think I'm coming down with a dose of sinuses but couldn't let that day pass without getting on the bike. Bray-Newtownmountkennedy-Roundwood (via Callow Hill)-Old Long Hill-Enniskerry and home.

51.6km with 946m climb and 57.6kmh max .

As Roundwood main street was like Grand Central at midday I decided to head home via the Old Long Hill. The serenity of this gem is marvellous-mind you, it also helps that there's a terrific descent at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

cython wrote: »
    62.9km today, breaking in the new steed. Set out without any particular route in mind, and ended up going Clonsilla - Dunboyne - Summerhill - Kilcock - Maynooth - Leixlip (including a first go at Captain's Hill) and back to Clonsilla. Average moving speed of 29.1km/h, which is a good deal better than my best average over that distance on the other bike, and it included about 15 PBs on Strava.
    what was captains hill like, ive only ever gone down it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

48k loop Newport to Castlebar on Saturday.

This is going to be a bit sad compared to speeds y'all are talking about, but I was really happy to get a 23.6km/h average over the 2 hours (I was emptying the tank to manage that).

https://www.strava.com/activities/324624730

Trojan wrote: »
    48k loop Newport to Castlebar on Saturday.

This is going to be a bit sad compared to speeds y'all are talking about, but I was really happy to get a 23.6km/h average over the 2 hours (I was emptying the tank to manage that).

https://www.strava.com/activities/324624730
    nope not sad at all Trojan, unless you plan on going racing it is not all about speed. it is about being out on the bike in the 1st place and enjoying it & getting a bit fitter is a plus.

my averages are not great but I couldn't really care, Im just happy to get out(and back without falling or puking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

On Saturday gone, 61km loop and 1100m climbing from Marlay park out to Enniskerry up past Powerscourt towards Ballybawn cottages towards Roundwood turned just before Roundwood up towards the viewing point over Lough Tay (Guinness lake) with clear view of Djouce on the right, the climb to the viewing point over Lough Tay nearly killed me :pac:

I could not believe my eyes when I saw a coffee van up at the viewing point, was sent from the angels!

Stopped there for 20 mins or so and continued up towards Sally Gap, swung right and headed for Glencree on the old Military road (not quite into Glencree but direction), continue on the Military road all the way to stocking lane and back to Marlay park.

Cracking weather for it!

Route attached for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

personal milestone achieved yesterday with my first 100k cycle(105k actually).
    training for the ring of kerry and had previously only done a max of 70k.i do a 45k route twice a week and 50 to 60 on a sunday usually.now the thing is although it was a fairly flat 105k,485m gain avg speed 25.5km/h i felt very weak towards the end,maybe partly as i only had water throughout and was really hungry last 20k or so.I also had a real nagging pain at the back of my right knee and calf area every time my leg was extended which i hope wont be a problem.
    anyway its the thought of coomakishta,molls gap and an extra 75k that have me filled with self doubt this morning.am i biting off more than i can chew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

i felt very weak towards the end,maybe partly as i only had water throughout and was really hungry last 20k or so.

You need to eat! I did 61km with 1100m of climbing. I had a big bowl of porridge and a banana about 60mins before i set off and consumed 2 bananas and 2 Nutri grain bars during the cycle, i probably didn't need the extra Nutri grain but took it anyway. Also a 750ml bottle with Electrolytes in it. Fuelling up during the cycle is key, obviously we all have different metabolisms but if you experiencing hunger pains during the cycle you haven't enough stored carbs, no wonder you were wrecked.

You'll be well able for ROK, the key for Molls gap is to take the rest at Kenmare, eat a good sandwich and Brack and coffee :D , rest 20 mins and then set off. It's not steep just a long long drag.

The reason you are worrying is because you did 100km unprepared in my view! Next time bring food and notice the difference, your confidence levels will rise.

PS. with respect to the nagging pains, could be 101 different things unfortunately. if you still have them a few days after the cycle I wouldn't ignore them. You could start with stretches but if it persists you might need some advice from a Physio on exercises to help. A bike fit might be needed. I think most ppl would advise a bike first as the first step to rule out the bike setup as the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Bloggsie wrote: »
    what was captains hill like, ive only ever gone down it?

Steep, but pretty short. I came from a standing start at the corner (stopped with lights/traffic), and while Strava says I averaged 8.2 km/h up the steep/short segment, that starts where I was stopped queuing, and I suspect my average on the actual hill was a good deal better, seeing as it also says I took 1:43 for that bit, which I definitely wouldn't have spent on the first part of the hill on its own! I had probably been building it up in my head to be worse than it actually is, though I was certainly left to catch my breath after it!

thanks for the reply, what % did strava quote for the incline?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

jon1981 wrote: »
    You need to eat! I did 61km with 1100m of climbing. I had a big bowl of porridge and a banana about 60mins before i set off and consumed 2 bananas and 2 Nutri grain bars during the cycle, i probably didn't need the extra Nutri grain but took it anyway. Also a 750ml bottle with Electrolytes in it. Fuelling up during the cycle is key, obviously we all have different metabolisms but if you experiencing hunger pains during the cycle you haven't enough stored carbs, no wonder you were wrecked.

You'll be well able for ROK, the key for Molls gap is to take the rest at Kenmare, eat a good sandwich and Brack and coffee :D , rest 20 mins and then set off. It's not steep just a long long drag.

The reason you are worrying is because you did 100km unprepared in my view! Next time bring food and notice the difference, your confidence levels will rise.

PS. with respect to the nagging pains, could be 101 different things unfortunately. if you still have them a few days after the cycle I wouldn't ignore them. You could start with stretches but if it persists you might need some advice from a Physio on exercises to help. A bike fit might be needed. I think most ppl would advise a bike first as the first step to rule out the bike setup as the issue.
    thanks for your advice.ill be better prepared next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

thanks for the reply, what % did strava quote for the incline?

Just created a quick private segment there to take in only after the lights, and it states an average of 7%, so probably not as bad as I might have feared before I had gone up it. To be fair I had gears to spare (only because of it being short and sharp, mind), so it couldn't be all that steep, no matter how it felt!

cython wrote: »
    Just created a quick private segment there to take in only after the lights, and it states an average of 7%, so probably not as bad as I might have feared before I had gone up it. To be fair I had gears to spare (only because of it being short and sharp, mind), so it couldn't be all that steep, no matter how it felt!
    I commute 2 or 3 days a week from Maynooth to the C/centre on the weekends I try to get out for 40-50ksI have thought about going up it but I am concerned that it is so narrow just past the hotel and anytime I have been on it the traffic is quite heavy, I might come a cropper with a tail back of angry motorists giving me the daggers! Feck it, i'll just follow the mantra start like an old man, finish like a young man and get it done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

nope not sad at all Trojan, unless you plan on going racing it is not all about speed. it is about being out on the bike in the 1st place and enjoying it & getting a bit fitter is a plus.

Heh, well I was speaking in the context of the speeds mentioned here.

Don't get me wrong, I was delighted with 23.6km/h, but there's room for improvement and I would like to get a bit faster.

I think I've more of a sprinter's build though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

8 am start. Up ticknock, kilmashouse, tibradden lane,cruagh road,stocking lane, down bohrnabreena. Went back up to the military road by kilakee road thinking it was col de thourmalet as its called on strava but looks like I missed the start of it. On to kippure, then down through glenncree and up bridge road.

Smashing day and conditions couldn't have been better. Was feeling great all day and didn't want to stop.

92.9 km, 2344 meters , 22.7 kph.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/325879702

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement