Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Handy 40k last night @ 27k average, happy enough as I had tough evening of reverse lunges and squats with core the night before in the gym. Struggled in large chain ring so spun out the legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bloggsie wrote: »
    You stopped to pick up stones & throw them at a rottweiler, unless you were absolutley fooked why not just put some power down & piss past it!

Big dog, very small road and my previous with rottweilers involved a trip to the emergency nurse in a shoddy Thai clinic for wound cleaning. I did a Uturn this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Have had no Internet at home since last Friday so this is a bit late but anyway, Went for a short spin on Sunday evening and decided to have a good go at it on the flat.
    Longwood Enfield Kilcock, gave it welly to see if my recent hill work has paid off anything on the flat. It definitely has. I was able to keep a sustained effort going much better. I was fairly shagged by the time I got to Kilcock though so I trundled on and decided to take the back road over to Newtown to have a crack the hill there. About a km down the road a big lump of a rottweiler came trotting towards me. I stopped and picked up a handful of stones and he kept coming so I threw them at him, he accelerated so i got the fk out of there fairly fast and came back the way I went.
    Got home in decent time but couldn't sync the garmin so couldn't see my times on Strava and if it's not on Strava it doesn't count, right? ;)
    Finally got the hump this morning and uploaded the tcx file from Map My Ride on the phone.
    Happy days, a load of PRs and a sneaky KOM too.
    45km in 1:29, 30kmph https://www.strava.com/activities/331762446
    Still no bloody Internet though.

Was the dog being aggressive when it first approached you? Im sure the stone attack made up its mind if it wasn't!!
    Much maligned dogs, but all the same the owner should have a bit more responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

fair enough, your better safe than sorry. thanks for the heads up, I live out that neck of the woods so I'll keep an eye out for cyclist hating rottweillers!.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to be chased by a weimaraner occasionally on the road between kilsallaghan and st. margaret's, but i've not seen it in months. it didn't seem to be doing it in a friendly manner either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

terrydel wrote: »
    Was the dog being aggressive when it first approached you? Im sure the stone attack made up its mind if it wasn't!!
    Much maligned dogs, but all the same the owner should have a bit more responsibility.

A dog should be under the control of its owner at all times, simple as that. People who either refuse or are unable to keep their dogs from straying onto the public road shouldn't be allowed to own dogs. Having been knocked off a bike myself once while travelling at speed, I can tell you for certain whether or not the dog is usually good natured is neither here nor the there when your facing medical bills and lost earnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

30km out to the 40ft at 5am this morning with some commutery-cyclist friends. Lovely relaxed spin for sunrise, no swim for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

smacl wrote: »
    A dog should be under the control of its owner at all times, simple as that. People who either refuse or are unable to keep their dogs from straying onto the public road shouldn't be allowed to own dogs. Having been knocked off a bike myself once while travelling at speed, I can tell you for certain whether or not the dog is usually good natured is neither here nor the there when your facing medical bills and lost earnings.

Funnily enough, on Monday when I was going up the old military road towards Sally Gap, the last real steep bit about 4k from the Gap, where people park on left to view the lake out to the right, 2 happy looking dogs coming down that hill towards 10kmph me! They looked like they were together and someone's pets, I had to shoo them out of they way or fall over!
    Felt bad for not stopping actually, cos they looked lost and it seemed a very weird place to see to dogs wandering. Hope they got home safe.

Btw, one was a black lab type and the other a brown terrier, both about knee height and looked well cared for, deffo saw collars and tags on them. Anyone else spot these pair on Monday, would have been about 6-6.30 ish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Funnily enough, on Monday when I was going up the old military road towards Sally Gap, the last real steep bit about 4k from the Gap, where people park on left to view the lake out to the right, 2 happy looking dogs coming down that hill towards 10kmph me! They looked like they were together and someone's pets, I had to shoo them out of they way or fall over!
    Felt bad for not stopping actually, cos they looked lost and it seemed a very weird place to see to dogs wandering. Hope they got home safe.

Btw, one was a black lab type and the other a brown terrier, both about knee height and looked well cared for, deffo saw collars and tags on them. Anyone else spot these pair on Monday, would have been about 6-6.30 ish?

If they stray on to a farm this time of year they'll be lucky to see the end of the day if spotted. I live out the country and I regularly get chased by dogs belonging to gob****es who can't be bothered to lock their gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Cycled from Dundrum to Glendalough, via Djouce, Roundwood etc.

The sun was shining so I decided to continue over the Wicklow Gap towards Blessington. Missed the turn for the road that takes you through the lakes and into Blessington, so took the turn at Hollywood.

The extra few km's took me over the 100km mark. My 3rd 100km+ cycle in a row, so happy with that.

107.1km in total, with average spped of 24.7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Day 3 of the Hospice Cycle covered Pisa to Sienna so well into Tuscany now. After yesterday's horror climb to S. Anna, it was great to tackle more normal 6 to 11% gradients on Monte Serra. What a difference a few degrees can make especially over 11k.
    70k of rolling countryside before reaching San Giminiano for a late lunch. In Siena now having viewed the Campo and retreated to a local hotel for dinner and bed. 142k over 7 hours with 2185m of climbing. Off through southern Tuscany to Bolsena tomorrow with plenty of hills en route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Dunno about rottweilers per se but I find a spray of a bottle of Nuun or Zero flavoured water all over them usually does the trick.

Same spin as yesterday for me today. Punctured (again-on my brand new puncture resistant tyre :mad:) and was going to walk home as I was only 1.5km away but I decided to change it there and then seeing as I'd have had to do it at home anyway.

So there I am on the side of the road with the bike upside down and I see a bloke approaching from the nearby Topaz with a gerry can. I nodded towards the can and said "I see I'm not the only one hit with a bit of bad luck today anyway" to which he replied "yeah, but at least yours was unavoidable". I got the distinct impression that somebody else was at fault for his problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Short spin up Cruagh to the featherbeds and back. I actually set a PB up cruagh but a lad passed me so fast on it I felt like I was standing still!! Thanks to the stalker abilities of flyby I see it was Aaron O'Donoghue so my ego feels a little less bruised now.

Lovely evening to be out but the roads were very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Did the Wicklow 100 route. After puncturing on my last 3 spins, I finally got around intact. It turned out to be uneven rim tape that caused me 5 puntures!

Anyway, lovely day for it and I had some warm rain which is a rare thing in this country.

I laughed to myself at the bottom of the steep hill at barndarrig, I was half expecting the Marshall from the ww200 to be still there shouting at me to select a low gear. Legend of a man!

102.34k, 27.1 avg, 1261 gain, 3.46 pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gofaster

Bit late, actually thought I had posted it yesterday but managed my longest spin so far.

114km, 25kph, 1097m climbing.

A lot slower than my usual average speed. Have never experienced pain like it lol 88km was my previous longest.

my cycle, my bloody walk more like, punctured at the bottom of the hill onto the lower road, spent 20 mins trying to get the effin tyre off, no joy(i admit i should have practised doing it) I walked almost to the anglers rest when a guy pulled over, Many Many thanks to Shay from the fatheads cycling club, he dropped me off near the 4courts & i made my way to the GPO.
    I wouldnt mind but I was on course to get in under in 1 hour 10 mins for my commute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunchtime run up Cruagh / Foxes / Bluelight and back. Since getting the Garmin 810, at long last I'm looking at my times with a more critical eye using Gramin Connect. Mind you, I've zero faith in the calorie count its giving me, must start wearing the HRM to say what that says. Still awaiting a hernia op so told not to push myself beyond 'light training' but starting to formulate plans to get properly fit again this autumn. Been a few years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In Santa Cruz, Califronia now.

Rented a Trek 5.2. Had an epic cycle planned.

Then I slept in.

Then the road at the start of the first climb was closed!

I was short of time but went exploring. Some epic climbs / country side here. The decent in to
    Fenton is the best I've ever done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/332866381

86.4 km/h you were shifting on that downhill alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dan2912

Waterford up to and around mount Juliet, not a cup of coffe to be had. Golfers only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Owing to crazy work schedule at the moment can only get out for the odd one hour spin, so looking to push myself on these spins. Going well today (first ever top 10 on a segment; okay it was a 2015 top 10 but I'll take it!) on a local loop until I got my first ever puncture. No spares (silly me). While awaiting rescue a very kindly lorry driver pulled in and offered me a lift: wonderful gesture, much appreciated.

Day 4 of Genoa to Rome was from Siena to Bolsena and was about as good as cycling can get. Quiet roads, good surface (until we got to Lazio), perfect weather and superb scenery. No shortage of hills either with 2215m of climbingb over 145km in 6:45'. Lost out in the sprint for the town sign again so only one chance left for points!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    86.4 km/h you were shifting on that downhill alright. :)

I wasn't brave enough to look down. The decent in to Fenton was unreal. It's through a redwood park. It was as beautiful as it was terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

Sala to Uppsala and back yesterday. Warm but windy as ****.

I seem to be cursed with the weather.

73km commute this morning in the piddling rain. 30.5km/h Ave so looking on the bright side I'm happy out.

Now to figure out how to dry out my gear in the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Usual 19k commute into work today - the significance is that through the first 6 months of this year I've now cycled further than in any other full year - I should be over 3K km by the end of the month!

Neleven wrote: »
    Owing to crazy work schedule at the moment can only get out for the odd one hour spin, so looking to push myself on these spins. Going well today (first ever top 10 on a segment; okay it was a 2015 top 10 but I'll take it!) on a local loop until I got my first ever puncture. No spares (silly me). While awaiting rescue a very kindly lorry driver pulled in and offered me a lift: wonderful gesture, much appreciated.
    afternoon neleven, the only difference between us is, I had spares but couldnt get the blasted tyre off, (I plan a few practises over the next few days. after walking for over an hour, I got a lift! I too am that soldier.

Well that spin hone was a hell of a lot warmer. Ahhhhh.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did a tough day's work on site yesterday to leave myself an easy one today so I could cycle in and not be too wrecked. First time doing the full commute to this job.
    Headed off nice and early, luckily enough as the breeze was really doing me no favours. Still made the journey in decent time, Longwood-Enfield-Kilcock-Maynooth-Celbridge-Saggart-Tallaght. 52km in 1:51 @ 28.3 kmh.
    Plenty of stick from the lads when I was changing out of my bib shorts. "Jaysus Steve, are you some kind of Midget Wrestler?" was probably the best one.
    Then the foreman tells us that we can leave the section we did yesterday to the other lads to finish as we have a couple of walls that absolutely need to be stood today and concrete is coming at 2. So that was the easy day fú**ed.
    Commute home was a tough bitch, that sneaky crosswind that slowed me down this morning had swung around into a headwind for the return leg. I felt like I was climbing all the way home and I hadn't an ounce of extra energy to spare. I ate a bar and drank plenty but I was just dead legged. The back wasn't in great nick either after all the pulling and dragging at work. Took the wrong turn across through City West and added another couple of km that I could have done without. Garmin was dead too, no harm really as my HR and cadence would only depress me.
    56km in 2;07 @ 26.4kmh
    Still feeling tired now tbh, Can't see myself bothering the missus tonight:o

To work- https://www.strava.com/activities/333514775
    Home- https://www.strava.com/activities/333520871

Despite my somewhat negative tone I'm actually happy and getting over 100km on the bike today. Might give it a shot again some of the days next week.

• Advertisement

If anyone is thinking of cycling in Italy, keep clear of Lazio province. The road surface makes Cavan look like a billiard table and resulted in quite a few pinch flats and one broken saddle. Tuscany on the other hand is amazing and well worth visiting.
    Made it into Rome yesterday evening after another 140k day. Highlights were a tough ascent of Monte Cimino in the morning and a glorious 12k cycle path along the Tiber into the centre of Rome.
    Totals for the week were 698km, 9925m and over €100,0000 raised for the Hospice by the 53 participants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement