Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭buffalo

Best thing about a 90km cycle? Guilt-free burger with extra cheese and bacon in the pub afterwards. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

68k through north Leitrim and Cavan with a lot of climbing from 8am yesterday. -6 in the car when I left to meet the club at 7.30am. Lovely morning for a spin with dry roads and no wind. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

reilig wrote: »
    68k through north Leitrim and Cavan with a lot of climbing from 8am yesterday. -6 in the car when I left to meet the club at 7.30am. Lovely morning for a spin with dry roads and no wind. :D:D:D

We are all more interested in what happened afterwards!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    We are all more interested in what happened afterwards!?!

Nothing much really. A few mild complaints and then I took them to the beach for a long walk. Had the 2 of them tucked up in bed by 8pm - they were up early after all! Gave me a chance to clean the bike, degrease the chain and oil it up again! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I used to live right around the corner from there, up the road from the Glatthoff, if you know it and then for a month or two across from the Movenpick.

It's pretty good for commuting by bike as 95% of my routes are car free. Some of it is shared footpath/cyclepath but at the times I commute there isn't anyone around.
    I'm looking forward to the warmer weather and night shifts so I can get out for some more decent spins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

53 km, up to Blackwater and back. Nice day out, bringing a change of gloves was a master-stroke. Lots of coughing afterwards though :(

Hoping to do more kms tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

My first commute on my new Trek 1.1 and I loved it. (Why did I buy a hybrid in the first place?).

The sun was out this evening on the way back and I was actually disappointed I had to go home.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

reilig wrote: »
    Nothing much really. A few mild complaints and then I took them to the beach for a long walk. Had the 2 of them tucked up in bed by 8pm - they were up early after all! Gave me a chance to clean the bike, degrease the chain and oil it up again! :D

For a minute there, I was picturing you taking your bikes for a long walk on the beach, and then tucking your bikes up in bed, and then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

On my commute home from UCD yesterday eve, got flagged down by two cyclists at the ALDI/LIDL roundabout in finglas. Turned out they had a puncture and broke their pump. Lent them mine to sort their tire and it turned out they were also heading to Ashbourne, so I rolled home with them. The cycle up the old N2 goes far quicker when you've a bit of company!

That's my good deed done for this week!

Up Howth this morning on the new bike... and I didn't break all my PBs.

I don't understand.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Up Howth this morning on the new bike... and I didn't break all my PBs.

I don't understand.

New bike?! Pics or GTFO!

EDIT: Does it have an ultegra chain? That's probably why you didn't break any personal records...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Navan - Kentstown - Ashbourne - Airport - Malahide - Portmarnock - Howth Head - Raheny. 85Kms in 3hrs 25mins cycle time. Avg 24Kms.

Pros from Cycle - distance covered, getting up howth head, coming down howth head, enjoyed just being out.
    Cons from cycle - howth head going up (felt like I was going backwards at one stage, first time doing it on the bike), shoulders at the end from howth to raheny were getting achey and sore, also need shoe covers as feet got way too cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lovely morning for it this morning. Got an hour done. It would be nice if it stayed like this for the rest of the week

colm_gti wrote: »
    New bike?! Pics or GTFO!

EDIT: Does it have an ultegra chain? That's probably why you didn't break any personal records...

All in good time. I'll post in the Images of beauty thread when I have a chance to take a decent shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

On my commute home from UCD yesterday eve, got flagged down by two cyclists at the ALDI/LIDL roundabout in finglas. Turned out they had a puncture and broke their pump. Lent them mine to sort their tire and it turned out they were also heading to Ashbourne, so I rolled home with them. The cycle up the old N2 goes far quicker when you've a bit of company!

That's my good deed done for this week!

They probably sucked your wheel all the way - its a boring old stretch alright

Went out early enough this morning aiming to do the same route as last Tuesday (Ashbourne - Garristown - Naul - Snowtown - Greenanstown/Herbertstown x 4 - Naul - Garristown - Ashbourne), but with a full gas attempt up Greenanstown/Herbertstown to try and claim the KOM....dropped my chain going from big ring to little ring halfway up the first attempt, chain jammed, found its way back on but was skipping, turned out I damaged a link. Removed the link at the top of the hill and carried on, something still not right. Snowtown descent into Naul, slightly uphill section in the middle, 50-11, went to put power down, POP! Chain burst into tiny pieces. Disheartened, I rang my dad who luckily was working from home to come rescue me. Managed to salvage enough to piece it back together and limp in the direction of home, met dad between Naul and Garristown...should have stayed in bed...

42km, 792m ascent, no KOM's and a broken chain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Decided to give a good blast at a short segment on the way home yesterday, along Templeogue road. Gave it a hammering, 40km/h all the way, lungs on fire with the cold air, but happy that I had to be in the top 3. Upload to strava and it turns out that I pulled up too early on the segment and came in 45 seconds slower than I would have if I'd pushed on.

Plus the guy holding the KOM on that segment admits that he got it by drafting a bus all the way along it at 45km/h. I'd be interested to take the road bike at it when the conditions are right (easterly wind on a Sunday morning) and see if I could beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Went out early enough this morning aiming to do the same route as last Tuesday (Ashbourne - Garristown - Naul - Snowtown - Greenanstown/Herbertstown x 4 - Naul - Garristown - Ashbourne), but with a full gas attempt up Greenanstown/Herbertstown to try and claim the KOM....dropped my chain going from big ring to little ring halfway up the first attempt, chain jammed, found its way back on but was skipping, turned out I damaged a link. Removed the link at the top of the hill and carried on, something still not right. Snowtown descent into Naul, slightly uphill section in the middle, 50-11, went to put power down, POP! Chain burst into tiny pieces. Disheartened, I rang my dad who luckily was working from home to come rescue me. Managed to salvage enough to piece it back together and limp in the direction of home, met dad between Naul and Garristown...should have stayed in bed...

Would a Chain Deflector have helped (This, or this)? I don't use one myself but I have had the chain fall off as you did once or twice in the past. It didn't damage the chain but it did damage the paint around the BB. I'm sure it may have been more than paint damage if I had a carbon frame ... :eek:

route66 wrote: »
    Would a Chain Deflector have helped (This, or this)? I don't use one myself but I have had the chain fall off as you did once or twice in the past. It didn't damage the chain but it did damage the paint around the BB. I'm sure it may have been more than paint damage if I had a carbon frame ... :eek:

Might have helped alright, but it's the first time that's happened to me in over 10k kms so I'm hoping it's just a freak accident. There's probably 6000kms on the chain at this stage, so it's probably about time I put a new one on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Half-thinking about racing A4 this year and all the threads at the weekend inspired me, so I went out for a hard 70k, aiming for an average HR of over 150.

Turned out I picked up a KOM along the way (tailwind a bit more than I thought!), and an average HR of 154, average speed of over 30km/h over 77km.

Big lunch for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

First time on the bike in almost a week after a heavy enough cold. Still sniffling but I just had to get out. Managed a few hills, Athgoe followed by Windmillhill, up onto the N81 for Seskin then Sally Gap turning off for the harder side of Ballysmuttan and an unnamed climb further round. Back through Kilbride and on home. Felt sh1t in parts but got a good rhythm on the last two climbs, giving the lungs a good clearing! Only time I had a tailwind was on the drag up by that Avoca place in Saggart/Rathcoole. Gave it a good lash there! Solid enough 75km.

I'll give the two races a go at the weekend if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Big lunch for me!
    Have some fizzy water and go to bed instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Have some fizzy water and go to bed instead.
    *sticks fingers down throat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Cycled into work just fine this morning!

Nothing unusual in that but that's what I was grateful for.

Took off my studded winter tyres and inner tubes from my bike last night and fitted new road tyres and inner tubes.
    My first time doing such a job on my own instead of taking it to the lbs, was convinced I'd puncture this morning or the wheels would fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Obviously u should sue strava for the cost of the chain and the cost of petrol for your dad and I'm sure u could sue for emotional damages too. If it wasn't for strava and its stupid koms you wouldn't have been going up herbertstown in the big ring in the first place,feckers really should know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Managed a 89k spin today taking in 1022m. It was blooody chilly tho. But put in a good enough week 240k and 2500m not bad for three cycles, I hope this is the start of things to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

56km ride today. I last did the route on Jan 26th where I did a 7:58 on a climb. Did it today in 5:55. Loooads of new PR's as well, well chuffed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Did an 80k spin around some crappy back roads around charleville yesterday which had me wondering why the hell would anyone ever want to cycle on cobbles long distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

80 Km yesterday Cork, Inishannon up church hill (a wall):( Brinny, Crossbarry, Coachford, Dripsey and back to the city. That stretch from Inishannon over to Crossbarry is relentless, very heavy roads and lots of little hills that take it out of ya, really enjoyed it though. Cold and calm so no complaints there
    Today a quick 25 Km blast down around Midleton, legs still sore from yesterday but worth it and the fitness is improving towards the atlantic challenge on Easter sunday. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

a 110km spin with Orwell yellow group today. Usually do the white group but was looking to take a step up. Fantastic day for a cycle today. One of the best rides of the year so far

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement