Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

100kms this morning, my furthest since the WW200. Greystones Enniskerry Stepaside Tallaght The Lamb Sally Gap Glencree Enniskerry Greystones. Early start at 4-45am! It was absolutely beautiful to be out so early with no one around except a few heads only going home! Was heading up the road towards Sally Gap and saw what I first thought was a hedgehog on the road ahead of me. When I got closer I realised it was a coconut! Which was ****ing random! Lovely day on the bike!

https://www.strava.com/activities/333844800/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

108km today, my last big spin before the Maratona Sunday week.
    25.4kmph.
    From Clondalkin up thru Tallaght and over Ballinascorney and on up to Sally Gap, then over to Laragh, stop for tea and a sandwich and back home over the Wicklow Gap via Valleymount/Blessington/N81.
    Shattered when I got home! But I seem to be doing this big rides at a reasonable pace now (imho) so I must be improving. Biggest spin since W200.
    Not much planned between now and Sunday week, might do a gentle spin Monday, then hoping to do 40-50k over in Italy on the Friday, maybe get one of the climbs in, just for the psychological benefit :D
    Kids birthday party now, that'll be tougher than today's cycle haha

Oh, and if the poor lad who I met at Brittas on the way home whose chain had snapped is on here, hope you got home ok mate. Had a couple of bars left and forgot to give you one, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Zig-zagged to Drogheda and back from Dublin. 150.4km and 757m of climbing.

Really tough day due to gusty winds and rain showers that soaked me thoroughly few times. This ride really took the life out of me. Then again, it's nothing that hot shower and warm food couldn't fix!

https://www.strava.com/activities/334167917

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

105km 4.5 hours into a gusty headwind and it was a one way trip so I didn't even get the chance to enjoy the wind.

It really began to hurt at only 60km and bonked badly at 90km due to having not eaten and totally unprepared for battling the wind.

My ears are still ringing.

On the plus side I now know a footlong subway fits in my back pocket. Had to eat fast as I was fit to fall over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Had intended doing a 300k today but after being out half the night drinking, my legs basically told me to go fcuk myself. Couldn't really get going at all and crawled my way around Wicklow.

Had to settle for 213k with 2,480m climbing with a disappointing average of 23.6km/h. (Passed the 10,000k year to date during the ride :cool:).

https://app.strava.com/activities/334281066

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

(Passed the 10,000k year to date during the ride :cool:).https://app.strava.com/activities/334281066

My 2,000km milestone on Thursday suddenly doesn't seem too hot :o *

* but congratulations and well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

65km of hills today around Wicklow.
    That climb coming up out of Powerscourt Waterfall towards Glencree is horrible.

2 hours 49 mins
    951m climbing
    23km/hr average
    65.5km/hr top speed

Some day for it
    Took 9 minutes off my previous attempt at this route

https://www.strava.com/activities/334727784

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

65km of hills today around Wicklow.
    That climb coming up out of Powerscourt Waterfall towards Glencree is horrible.

agreed, it is endless, scenery's nice if you're not too busy chewing your stem from start to finish :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Did 92k on my own this morning with about 50 of it into that bloody wind, wish that wind would just f#ck off !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Had intended doing a 300k today but after being out half the night drinking, my legs basically told me to go fcuk myself. Couldn't really get going at all and crawled my way around Wicklow.

Had to settle for 213k with 2,480m climbing with a disappointing average of 23.6km/h. (Passed the 10,000k year to date during the ride :cool:).

https://app.strava.com/activities/334281066

I'm forever in awe of your posts, I can hardly cycle to work after even an evening on the batter :o

• Advertisement

......That climb coming up out of Powerscourt Waterfall towards Glencree is horrible....
    For even more horribleness keep going past Glencree until you get to the mast in Kippure - a Category 1 climb and probably as near to an Alpine climb that you'll get here!

https://app.strava.com/segments/4841082

(...and Mr Sherlock manages to average 23km/h on it.)

.. I can hardly cycle to work after even an evening on the batter :o
    Well I didn't get out of the scratcher until 9am - I've been worse on earlier on work commutes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

For even more horribleness keep going past Glencree until you get to the mast in Kippure - a Category 1 climb and probably as near to an Alpine climb that you'll get here!

Start on Bray Seafront for another few metres ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Did 113 in in the Sliabh Luachra tour in Rathmore, tough tough day , sunburn,windburn and the legs are burnt off me from the rolling road. Did most of it on my own, very good tour would recommend to anyone next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did 88km at the Wicklow Peaks today, the bead decided to depart from the rim in a big way so the very nice Pat Spillane from Naas Cycling club picked me up.

colm18 wrote: »
    Start on Bray Seafront for another few metres ;)
    Now that's a bit of a drag alright! Only one on the leaderboard so far. Guaranteed podium place for the next one to do it regardless of pace. :D

https://app.strava.com/segments/9412109

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Now that's a bit of a drag alright! Only one on the leaderboard so far. Guaranteed podium place for the next one to do it regardless of pace. :D

https://app.strava.com/segments/9412109

Sounds like my kind of leaderboard, might give it a bash this week

colm18 wrote: »
    Sounds like my kind of leaderboard, might give it a bash this week
    Might give it a go myself soon but knowing my luck I'll take a wrong turn somewhere around Bray and only realise when I upload the ride, and after all the effort, that it hasn't registered.

(I've thrown myself at the mercy of that altar of pain that is the Gap of Mamore on two occasions only to get home with nothing registered on the Strava segment. :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Is that surface to the mast ok for a road bike?

ozzy jr wrote: »

Going up is fine, it's a bit hairy descending at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ronoc wrote: »
    Going up is fine, it's a bit hairy descending at speed.

Yep, I'm not a whole lot faster coming down it than going up, lots of gravel in the corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

If anyone is thinking of cycling in Italy, keep clear of Lazio province. The road surface makes Cavan look like a billiard table and resulted in quite a few pinch flats and one broken saddle. Tuscany on the other hand is amazing and well worth visiting.
    Made it into Rome yesterday evening after another 140k day. Highlights were a tough ascent of Monte Cimino in the morning and a glorious 12k cycle path along the Tiber into the centre of Rome.
    Totals for the week were 698km, 9925m and over €100,0000 raised for the Hospice by the 53 participants.

yeah rome is not cycle friendly without that tiber path you couldn't cycle into rome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

If anyone is thinking of cycling in Italy, keep clear of Lazio province. The road surface makes Cavan look like a billiard table and resulted in quite a few pinch flats and one broken saddle. Tuscany on the other hand is amazing and well worth visiting.
    Made it into Rome yesterday evening after another 140k day. Highlights were a tough ascent of Monte Cimino in the morning and a glorious 12k cycle path along the Tiber into the centre of Rome.
    Totals for the week were 698km, 9925m and over €100,0000 raised for the Hospice by the 53 participants.
    well done.

Up Cruagh - Glencullen - Kilternan - Rathfarnham for my lunchtime spin. Glorious out there, but for anyone heading out there later, I'd avoid descending between the bridges at Cruagh as there are roadworks going on and one lane is closed. Largely ok going up, but the descent could be tricky with oncoming traffic, so Stocking lane or Pine forest road would be a better bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

58k at 27.3kmph. Just out to spin the legs before Sunday's big test. Up Ballinacorney out onto the N81 and up to Russborough house for a nice tae and sanger! Love it up there, very relaxing and the grub is lovely.
    Flew back with a nice tailwind down the Embankment Road.
    No more bike now til Italy.
    A tad nervous to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

No more than 10km out and got a phone call, had to sprint back in. Gah.

Guess 20km total is better than 0km total.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    As smacl says, the gravel is a problem on the descent. The gravel lies in the centre and if you overcook a bend, you risk crossing it. The gradient is also deceptive when descending as there's nothing to give it perspective such as hedges, buildings, trees etc. and suddenly the speed picks up rapidly. It can also have strong crosswinds as there's no shelter.

Going up is fine.

As smacl says, the gravel is a problem on the descent. The gravel lies in the centre and if you overcook a bend, you risk crossing it. The gradient is also deceptive when descending as there's nothing to give it perspective such as hedges, buildings, trees etc. and suddenly the speed picks up rapidly. It can also have strong crosswinds as there's no shelter.

Going up is fine.
    The gravel doesn't seem to be a problem for some! :eek:

The gravel doesn't seem to be a problem for some! :eek:

Before giving it a go mind you, worth remembering it did cause problems for others; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78968278

All good if you've got the skills, but I for one certainly don't and will be taking it easy on this one for some time to come.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time back out on the bike in a week and a half, after experiencing knee pain. knees were complaining again today while on the bike, will see how they feel in the next few days.

26km, 27km/h ave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement