Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

This may be a long one....

So, for the last 15 years or so, our family has always come down to Kerry for a week or two in the summer. Over the last few years, as I've gotten more interested in cycling, I've wished that I had the bike with me. This year I do.

Got here on Saturday, so yesterday I headed out to Sneem. From where we're staying (Caherdaniel) it's a 45km round trip. And it's absolute bliss. Road surface for the most part is like butter, no lights or roundabouts and very very little traffic. Also, it's not as hilly as Wicklow, the gradients here are much lower. Yesterday was also the first time I've ever said "wow" when greeted by a view. About 5km outside Sneem, came around a right hander to be met with an unobstructed view of the Reeks. They look like something from Middle Earth. We're leaving on Saturday, wish I could stay to do the ROK cycle. Those of you doing it, you're in for a treat. Weather was **** today so didn't get out, planning on doing Cahersiveen tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

manafana wrote: »
    yeah rome is not cycle friendly without that tiber path you couldn't cycle into rome

That was Cycling Safaris' view too.

Have seen very few commuter cyclists here but plenty in all the gear doing weekend spins. Between Roman driving and the road surfaces, it's pretty hairy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

The gravel doesn't seem to be a problem for some! :eek:

The gravel makes it one of the best descents IMO :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In Lake Tahoe now. Did a lap of the lake. 117km with 1300m of climbing with a max altitude of over 2000m.

It was tough. The heat and altitude (& a few beers last
    Night) made it hard!

A few pros train out here. Came a cross a BMC rider. He was fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

godtabh wrote: »
    In Lake Tahoe now. Did a lap of the lake. 117km with 1300m of climbing with a max altitude of over 2000m.

It was tough. The heat and altitude (& a few beers last
    Night) made it hard!

A few pros train out here. Came a cross a BMC rider. He was fast!
    lake tahoe, pahh, nothing like Ireland at the moment high teens this morning @ 07.00, by the time i got in @ 7.20 it was already over twenty, it gonna be a hot one.

28.45 km, 1hr 9mins 25.1avg.

the amount of effin spanners on the quays & parkgate st breaking red lights and bombing down the quays, it'll all end in tears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Zyzz wrote: »
    The gravel makes it one of the best descents IMO :pac:

Sphincter-puckering just watching that; I descend at max 1/3 of that speed I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Went to change my tyre from Sundays blowout and found this in two place on the non drive side of my rear Zonda :-(

DSC_0717_zpsugwrlwao.jpg

thats not good, how old are they?

About a year and a half

Borderfox wrote: »
    About a year and a half
    I wont be buying them so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Borderfox wrote: »
    Went to change my tyre from Sundays blowout and found this in two place on the non drive side of my rear Zonda :-(

Did you hit a pothole hard or something on that spin?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hernia acting up a bit this morning, so rather than the usual Cruagh run at lunch, took the hybrid out and went for a lap oh Bohernabreena reservoir and some of the surrounding back roads for about 25k of very mellow mooching about the place. Fantastic out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bloggsie wrote: »
    lake tahoe, pahh, nothing like Ireland at the moment high teens this morning @ 07.00, by the time i got in @ 7.20 it was already over twenty, it gonna be a hot one.

28.45 km, 1hr 9mins 25.1avg.

the amount of effin spanners on the quays & parkgate st breaking red lights and bombing down the quays, it'll all end in tears!

To be fair to Lake Tahoe it's pretty warm here too

oconnpad wrote: »
    Did you hit a pothole hard or something on that spin?

Surface was crap all day but nothing out of the ordinary, might have hit a pothole coming over the blessington lake bridge. The bead on the tyre snapped and the tube exited but I stopped straight away.

Ordered a pair of Pave 28 from superstar components so see how we get on with them

im sure its toastie alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Been cycling to work three times a week for the past month to up my mileage as it's an 82k round trip. Up to today, I've been steadily lowering my time until I'm doing it regularly in 90/92 minutes each way. However this evening I had a bad feeling starting out home, in the heat and into the southerly winds, which unfortunately turned out true. I just couldn't get into a rhythm and it was a slog the whole way home. I did the same route into work this morning in 90minutes but it took an extra 11 minutes to make it home. I felt so tired and drained and it was like cycling through treacle.

I'm not overtired and I rest a full day between cycles, eg if one week I cycle to work Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I do a lunchtime gym session on Tuesday and Thursday for upper body weights and core training. Must be the heat as I was flying it this morning averaging 35kph for,the last 10km (there are few steep hills in the first stretch that bring my average time down). I think I should stop timing my spins as they're all turning into one man races�� which take the pleasure out of the spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Had you enough water to drink? Both beforehand and on the spin?

OldBean wrote: »
    Had you enough water to drink? Both beforehand and on the spin?

I normally drink about 750ml before I leave home/work and I bring a 750ml bottle with me on the commute. Might not have been enough though in this heat.

I'm a heavy drinker anyways (Tap water, San Pele, beer, cider, wine, the works...) but I'd easily have went through twice that in this heat. I'm completely not used to it, and find I'm sweating far heavier. Trips I'd normally bring one 750ml bottle, I've a second on me just to make sure.

It's also just sticky and grimy out. Makes me think of Summer in the US.

I'd bring a second bottle with me on longer weekend spins but perhaps I should bring two bottles with me on the commute until it cools down again. Although a nice bottle of Bulmers would also make a nice back up:D

• Advertisement

This fits perfectly into my bottle holder...

aspall-cyder.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Serious accident involving bike in clontarf.

Hope all is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Headed out at 6am for the usual Hill stuff and the Garmin said 16 degrees of heat!

It hit 17 by 7am and it was just wonderful :)

Finishing off June with just over 750km done and 9,738m of climbing done too.

I had to reign in my OCD this evening about not doing 10,000m climbed.

Beer in the fridge helped, a lot.

Not so much so for the new bike I just bought :/

meh.

I could be dead in a few weeks :/

Hopefully not before I get a go on the new bike! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

For even more horribleness keep going past Glencree until you get to the mast in Kippure - a Category 1 climb and probably as near to an Alpine climb that you'll get here!

https://app.strava.com/segments/4841082

(...and Mr Sherlock manages to average 23km/h on it.)

This post inspired me to give this segment a try today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/336391267

Fell short of Ryan Sherlocks time by just over 3 mins.
    That means I have to try it again :eek::(

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lovely spin up to the summit this evening. Bit of congestion going through Malahide and Howth with a car slowing my decent back down but apart from that a really enjoyable evening. 42k in about 1:33 (Garmin decided not to save the info so not exactly sure of the details.)

Plenty of people out enjoying the sun still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This post inspired me to give this segment a try today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/336391267

Fell short of Ryan Sherlocks time by just over 3 mins.
    That means I have to try it again :eek::(
    Fcuking hell - that's seriously impressive and you're 30 minutes faster than me! :eek:

(I'd like to think I stopped off at the coffee shop in Glencree but I don't think I did).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fcuking hell - that's seriously impressive and you're 30 minutes faster than me! :eek:

(I'd like to think I stopped off at the coffee shop in Glencree but I don't think I did).
    Scrap that last comment. I just zoned right in on my ride and I did go to the coffee shop. Phew! I was feeling really medicore there for a few minutes. :D

(I probably didn't realise that I was mid-segement until I uploaded the ride).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Scrap that last comment. I just zoned right in on my ride and I did go to the coffee shop. Phew! I was feeling really medicore there for a few minutes. :D

(I probably didn't realise that I was mid-segement until I uploaded the ride).

Sure you did :pac::pac::pac: :D

Glorious out there. Went for a late loop up stocking and back by Kiltiernan. Got a weeks worth of protein swallowing flies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Just did a short 27K this evening, very hot out there. I decided to do something about my average speeds, they had been dipping to 25kph, so a shorter faster one was in order - got it back up to 28.2 - very happy in this heat.

https://www.strava.com/activities/336364387/segments/7977723783

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement