Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Passed 5,000km for the year so far with a 107km from Dundrum out to Naul, Balbriggan and back to Dundrum.

While it was a beautiful day, I had a fair oul head wind once I turned at Balbriggan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Finished June with a 75km spin today bringing me to 875km for the month in around 36 hours in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Second cycle down in Kerry. Had planned to go to Caherciveen, but the road that way was completely under fog, so bailed out after 5k and headed to Sneem instead. Cycled home in the humid misty rain. Yiz ****ers seem to be getting all the sun in Dublin. 100km so far in Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Left home at 6.30 this morning to "beat the heat". Thought it would be a lovely coolish time to get to work. How wrong I was. I don't think I've ever sweated so much on a cycle. Very very warm out there but no wind to cool you. Carrying a backpack with clothes etc didn't help. However I still did the 43km in 93minutes. Not bad for me in this heat.

Have to really strip down to the bare essentials for the return leg tonight. Anyone know where I can get a mankini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Domane wrote: »
    Left home at 6.30 this morning to "beat the heat". Thought it would be a lovely coolish time to get to work. How wrong I was. I don't think I've ever sweated so much on a cycle. Very very warm out there but no wind to cool you. Carrying a backpack with clothes etc didn't help. However I still did the 43km in 93minutes. Not bad for me in this heat.

Have to really strip down to the bare essentials for the return leg tonight. Anyone know where I can get a mankini?
    Just wear the bib shorts on there own that looks mankini-ish. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Been cycling to work three times a week for the past month to up my mileage as it's an 82k round trip. Up to today, I've been steadily lowering my time until I'm doing it regularly in 90/92 minutes each way. However this evening I had a bad feeling starting out home, in the heat and into the southerly winds, which unfortunately turned out true. I just couldn't get into a rhythm and it was a slog the whole way home. I did the same route into work this morning in 90minutes but it took an extra 11 minutes to make it home. I felt so tired and drained and it was like cycling through treacle.

I'm not overtired and I rest a full day between cycles, eg if one week I cycle to work Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I do a lunchtime gym session on Tuesday and Thursday for upper body weights and core training. Must be the heat as I was flying it this morning averaging 35kph for,the last 10km (there are few steep hills in the first stretch that bring my average time down). I think I should stop timing my spins as they're all turning into one man races�� which take the pleasure out of the spins.
    Hi Domane,
    I have noticed that despite myself I am getting very annoyed if I dont go faster than the previous cycle, I had hoped I wouldn't become a clockwatcher when out on the bike, I suppose I am just competitive, need to temper that reaction & just enjoy the fact Im not on a train!

good times for your commute it must be said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I leave @ 6.05ish, yesterday 17 degress, today 19degrees! fookin marvelous! only drawback is the backpack with clothes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just back from my lunchtime run up Cruagh - Kilternan. It was like a casting session for Lord of the flies, with yours truly tasked with picking the fly from many thousands of hopefuls. Average speed for the run is improving slightly, though more due to nailing the descents than anything else, 67kph today for 23kph average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

48kms this evening. Greystones up past Djouce on to Roundwood and back home through Kilmacanoge. It was a beautiful evening for a spin until I turned on to the N11 for home and the ****ing wind hit me. It was horrendous from there all the way home. Then when I stepped off the bike? No wind! ****ing bizarre!

Trim home to Clane on a lovely evening. Was dreading it due to the heat but once I got going, I didn't notice it much. Was a little tired after this mornings spin but after I got the first hill out of the way (dare I say it's getting easier?), my legs got into a rhythm and I picked up the pace averaging 31-33kph for the next 15kms until some muppet in a Clio pulled out of a side road straight in front of me and brushed off me sending me into the verge. No damage to me or the bike but gave me a scare. Only got a partial reg but I'll talk to my local Sergeant tomorrow to see if he can track him down. After I got going again, I found it a lot tougher and like the previous poster, a strong headwind had appeared out of nowhere. Still I broke my previous record for this route by a full 5 minutes:D

Add this mornings spin and that's 86kms today in just under 3 hours. Not bad for an old fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

340k today - my longest ride to date! :cool: Fabulous weather for it. Wrists sore now.

https://app.strava.com/activities/337138881

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

340k today - my longest ride to date! :cool: Fabulous weather for it. Wrists sore now.

That's impressive! :-)

Just 10 times longer than my 33km this evening. 33km in the absolute torrents of rain. I wasn't 20 yards down the road and the heavens opened! Loved it though! Wasn't cold and kept a good pace for the loop. 33km at 31km/hr

Up to now I've been pleased with my 250-300kms per week. I feel pretty inadequate now:o

Respect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Up to now I've been pleased with my 250-300kms per week. I feel pretty inadequate now:o

Respect!

That's nothing to feel inadequate about!

Anything > 0 KMs on the bike is something to be proud of.

We're all different and all our own little goals are something to be proud of.

Plus Mr. Ash is actually a Patient at St. Pats, who think's he's a motorcycle and they let him out three times a week as part of his rehabilitation.

FACT! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

45 km with average of 28km average, bloody wind wouldn't leave me alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Respect!

250-300 km a week is a hell of a lot of cycling though. You're talking 12000 -15000 km per year at that rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

7400 calories^ :eek:? Thats the kind of thing you consult a doctor before doing...

I did 30k, down through Greystones and back to Bray around the foot of the Sugarloaf and Enniskerry, still stiff after my canal adventure but the conditions are too good to be inside.

One good thing about doing 100km on an old Raleigh MTB on rough trail is that it makes your roadbike feel like it has an electric motor on the back when you get back on it.

60km out and back to Caherciveen today. The road from Coomakista down to Waterville is probably the nicest descent I've ever done and one of the most satisfying climbs. One the way home I first spotted Coomakista about 5km before I actually got there. Headwind all the way home from Caherciveen. 160km for the week, hopefully I'll get above 200 tomorrow before we head home on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Just did the Ring of Kerry.

Rathfarnham - Sallygap - Blessington lakes - Wicklow gap - Laragh (Coffee) - Sallygap - Rathfarham, for ~120k over 6 hours in glorious sunshine at a meandering pace. Bit windy on top making descents off Wicklow gap and featherbeds a bit more technical* than I'd like, but all good. For some bizarre reason a really enjoyed the climbs up the Wicklow gap and Glenmacnass today, albeit I was travelling at a puny pace, and without a doubt the section from the top off Glenmacnass to the crossroads had me thinking that I won't see Enniskerry again before the ice comes.

(* technical, in that I was crapping myself as I go seized by random gusts)

• Advertisement

The road from Coomakista down to Waterville is probably the nicest descent I've ever done and one of the most satisfying climbs.

If you're out that way, from Waterville to Balligasheen and Glencar is a fantastic climb / descent combo, though the climb is a bit tough (for me at least). From Glencar you can take an easy enough spin back to Waterville via Lough Caragh and Cahirciveen, or for another climb, Ballaghbeema - Sneem and back to Waterville. Not likely to make it to Kerry this year, and missing the cycling already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I cycled around my garden trying to get used to the spd clips. I gave up after 20 minutes. I'll come back to it tomorrow. And probably the next day as well.

I cycled around my garden trying to get used to the spd clips. I gave up after 20 minutes. I'll come back to it tomorrow. And probably the next day as well.

Loosen the tension to allow an easy unclip, and find a park or bit of quiet road to practise on. Unless you've got a huge garden, its not going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Cycled to Killarney last night and ended journey by going from 61km/h to 0km/h in a few seconds with help of brakes but mainly side of bus!

whichever way i looked at it I had to put my hand up. Few scrathces and bumps but still managed a good night in Killarney. Wheel rim on back is done for.

Bus driver was a complete gent, rang twice and offered to pay for any damage. I said no thanks, just delighted to be alive and kicking and not hurt.

Hope @Gasco doesn't read this! The Genesis is fine otherwise :)

Killarney's a fair haul, where did you start from? Hope you manage to pick up a spare wheel, fantastic cycling in the Kingdom. And that you're in one piece as well of course.

smacl wrote: »
    If you're out that way, from Waterville to Balligasheen and Glencar is a fantastic climb / descent combo, though the climb is a bit tough (for me at least). From Glencar you can take an easy enough spin back to Waterville via Lough Caragh and Cahirciveen, or for another climb, Ballaghbeema - Sneem and back to Waterville. Not likely to make it to Kerry this year, and missing the cycling already.

Back in the Pale now. Didn't get to cycle that way, but we drove it this morning. I agree that it looks like a fantasic road. Used it as a detour to get away from a certain cycling event :P

While I'm here, 220km and 2,500m or so of climbing over 4 days during my sojourn to Kerry. Having seen the event first hand today, I'll definitely be doing the ROK next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Yeah i did the same a while back...
    With the mrs pissing herself laughing at me. Trying to avoid the dog ****e!
    Best do it on quiet stretch with no lights and keep on clipping in and out.
    I would recommend trying to clip in from starting point once you get used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

smacl wrote: »
    Killarney's a fair haul, where did you start from? Hope you manage to pick up a spare wheel, fantastic cycling in the Kingdom. And that you're in one piece as well of course.

Not too bad just over 100km but had been planning a meandering route home today including tackling Mullaghnish to mast but not good be. Happy out though given slap I hit bus,

Roads on inner peninsula are stunning alright, hopefully I'll get to ride Inner Ring 200 as a permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I learnt a lesson today.

If you are at 100km and decided to treat yourself to a breakfast sandwich, don't take it outside with your coffee and leave them on a wall and then go back into the shop to get your bike.

Take them out with your bike.

Otherwise you might find two seriously happy little dogs eating your breakfast sandwich.

:(

Anyways.

I managed to knock out an unplanned 133 km with 1,600m climbing today. I had figured on about 75 km but me bike just won't let me off it.

The weather helped!

Not being the cleverest individual on the planet, at the 100 km point I decided to go up Ballinascorney and do a loop of the Tallaght reservoirs to go past the 130 mark. It was plan B.

Plan A was to go from Manor Kilbride and up Sallys Gap. :/

My legs have now belatedly told me that there was a plan C, stay on the blessington road all the way home.

I probably shouldn't have been saying "Shut up legs!" :)

Great day out on the bike!

Why some people I "met" were wearing windbreakers, rain coats, arm/leg warmers is beyond me. :confused: It was lovely out at 7 am ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Yeah i did the same a while back...
    With the mrs pissing herself laughing at me. Trying to avoid the dog ****e!
    Best do it on quiet stretch with no lights and keep on clipping in and out.
    I would recommend trying to clip in from starting point once you get used to it

Ha reminds me of my first time only last year ..we have a very large underground car park lots of room for quick sprints ..testing my new "LOOK" Keo's , tried an emergency stop ,,brakes worked fine but feet failed to disengage as expected ( Wrong tension set ) :mad: ..2nd time falling when grinding to a halt trying my first Vico Rd Killiney Hill :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement