Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Bloggsie wrote: »
    yes irishrover99, it is the strawberry beds. I spoke to Fingal Co Co today & they advised that there are a number of complaints raised by cyclists against that animal, the dog warden called after my complaint last year & will go back again in lieu of mine & other recent complaints!

I have been chased by this dog - if it's the one after Wrens Nest coming from Lucan direction. Can be dicey when there is car traffic also on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

Getting a bit off topic here lads.

I went out today to do two laps of the TriAthlone bike stage, as it was apparently nice and fast, verdict: it was great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

On the bike to work this morning, coming up to Ranelagh triangle and some plonker on a Giant was on the lane to turn left towards Rathmines. Car ahead of him stops at the lights and he swerves onto the right lane which I was on, travelling faster than him, my front tire came within an inch of his rear derailleur and our tires met. He looks over his shoulder then and doesn't even apologize. Mind you, he was wearing full lycra!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

he was wearing full lycra! still a numpty, just one wearing full lycra!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

quainy wrote: »
    Getting a bit off topic here lads.

I went out today to do two laps of the TriAthlone bike stage, as it was apparently nice and fast, verdict: it was great fun.
    I know someone who did the event, said it was a great spin!

• Advertisement

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I know someone who did the event, said it was a great spin!

It was, there were a few little spots where you had to break heavy but all in all it was very fast and very fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

quainy wrote: »
    It was, there were a few little spots where you had to break heavy but all in all it was very fast and very fun :D

Any route?

astraj wrote: »
    Any route?

This is the best I can do for you :)http://www.triathlone.com/half/#prettyPhoto/1/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice evening spin, Rathfarnham - Cruagh - Viewingpoint - Glenasmole - Glassamucky - Viewingpoint - Craugh. Only 29k, but rampy. Some of the roads between Glenasmole and Glassamucky are 'interesting', and had me hanging onto my brakes, white knuckled. Average speed of a whopping 18kph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

smacl wrote: »
    Nice evening spin, Rathfarnham - Cruagh - Viewingpoint - Glenasmole - Glassamucky - Viewingpoint - Craugh. Only 29k, but rampy. Some of the roads between Glenasmole and Glassamucky are 'interesting', and had me hanging onto my brakes, white knuckled. Average speed of a whopping 18kph!

Do you have meters climbed for that spin? Well done btw!

• Advertisement

Punctured at the Cruagh junction. Destroyed with midgey bites fixing it.

Must be revenge for all the flies I ate last week

Then I punctured again on the way down..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Do you have meters climbed for that spin? Well done btw!

Only 697m, which is a small bit more than a climb of the Sally gap, but just a good bit steeper. I actually found the descending as challenging, steep, very poor surface, and poor sight lines. Similar conditions to the kippure descent, but with a chance of oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Was hoping to do my first 300 today with a spin to Mt leinster but the wife put a end to that at 7.30 this morning when she told me she had been asked to work this evening.
    So went to avoca and back up along the coast road to howth through bray,killiney with strong cross winds.
    Settled a score with hill out of avoca from the w200 a few years when I suffered and had a bad day.

Going to laragh the bottom of one day of my bottle broke from the vibration of the new surface in anamoe. The road from there to avoca is in terrible condition with little patches of new road mixed in. Second water holder completely broke off on the road to killcoole. I've had these on for more than a year, same make so its a bit strange that both broke off same day. The vibrations all day on that surface they use is not good for your arse.

Stopped once at the summit pub in howth, great pub and cheap compared to a lot of the places out there,great value and will return there.

Don't think I'd done 300 today anyway as got a cramp,I think for new electrolites I took for the first time.
    200km, 27.1 kph and just over 2000 meters.

https://www.strava.com/activities/343091933

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

a handy 49k, 32kph, i'm happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Sat morning spin
    Leixlip to Howth, did both hills, "right at the church" on return leg nasty surprise that:eek:
    strong headwind on the seafront going home
    was hoping for more sunshine , least it didn't rain....

https://www.strava.com/activities/343609120/

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

30kish along the Lake Annecy bike path at 25kphish. Sweltering! This place is really geared towards an active lifestyle. Everything about the infrastructure, the locals' attitude towards and consideration for cyclists, rollerbladers, whatever. We could learn a lot.

Rb

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Gave the Royal & Grand canals a shot today - Ashtown to Kilcock on the Royal, down to Sallins & then Grand canal to Dolphins Barn.

Did some offroading in Phoenix Park too. Great day for it, canal roads were in great nick, dry as a bone (although fairly rough with no suspension, I was on my CX bike with 35mm tyres). The road from Kilcock to Sallins is unpleasant though, narrow and busy.

103km @slow km/h https://www.strava.com/activities/343722739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

6am cycle this morning before work near Fermoy, only went 15km.
    Hit 76kmph on a downhill section, hope to break 80kmph tomorrow morning.:)

Im a total beginner. Only my 6th cycle but i must say im really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

brock92 wrote: »
    Hit 76kmph on a downhill section, hope to break 80kmph tomorrow morning.

Im a total beginner.

Probably not the best idea to be honest perhaps spend a bit more time getting used to the bike first.

Out of curiosity what did you record your speed on?

Strava on my android phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Strava on my android phone

Thought so. They're notorious for suspect data so I wouldn't swear by the speed but in your case it may be accurate.

Go easy on the decents it hurts when you come off. :)

Also have strada cycle computer but that was recording slightly faster speed

If i come of at this speed don't think i will be back here to tell ye about it.

Its short enough section and mainly straight so hopefully will never come off on it. Rabbits are the main danger on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Couldn't male the randonne this morning as I was up all night winding the baby.

but got out for a 56km spin killiney to carrickmines-kilternan- enniskerry-roundwood-bray - killiney

https://www.strava.com/activities/343757657

set lots of PB, at one stage i was going balls out down towards Killmac from roundwood, hitting 62km (720m elevation) and accelerating. when a pesky Grey squirrel decides to sit right in my path. I though about going straight for him. but I thought that i had better slow down, the lads would never let it go if I got beat up by a squirrel..

I did a spin earlier in the week around killiney, which really made the hills easier today.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/343757621 (500m elevation )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Went out with a few lads from work so the pace was pretty slow and was more of a social spin. The climbs over here in the lakes are pretty rough. We went over Wrynose which averages 12% for 2.2km and peaks at 30% in spots. Met a guy from Longford Cycling and racing club. We both agreed that the climbs back home in Ireland are a bit more sensible.

https://www.strava.com/activities/343714762

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Went out with a few lads from work so the pace was pretty slow and was more of a social spin. The climbs over here in the lakes are pretty rough. We went over Wrynose which averages 12% for 2.2km and peaks at 30% in spots. Met a guy from Longford Cycling and racing club. We both agreed that the climbs back home in Ireland are a bit more sensible.

https://www.strava.com/activities/343714762

That's some climbing, where you covered in snow at any stage .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

colm18 wrote: »
    Gave the Royal & Grand canals a shot today - Ashtown to Kilcock on the Royal, down to Sallins & then Grand canal to Dolphins Barn.

Did some offroading in Phoenix Park too. Great day for it, canal roads were in great nick, dry as a bone (although fairly rough with no suspension, I was on my CX bike with 35mm tyres). The road from Kilcock to Sallins is unpleasant though, narrow and busy.

Looking at the elevation profile on your strava there you'd have to say that the engineers that built the canals with shovels, donkeys and carts were fair men.

Going Clane-Digby bridge would have cut out the worst part of your onroad journey, though at the expense of a little more KMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

Kildare-Hollywood-Wicklow Gap-Waterfall-SallyGap-Blessington-Home today with the club, we made a bit of an effort to get some of our members who don't usually do hills up there today so the pace was quite steady, it was very enjoyable taking in the sights and smells rather than being fixated on some skinny lads wheel, really enjoyed the spin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/343737762

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

colm18 wrote: »

@colm18 are you thinking of doing the Long Herron Audax ?
    thinking of doing this myself on a Spec crosstrail...a more suitable bike, do you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Its short enough section and mainly straight so hopefully will never come off on it. Rabbits are the main danger on it.

Just take their bikes off them, that'll sort them out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement