Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

devonp wrote: »
    @colm18 are you thinking of doing the Long Herron Audax ?
    thinking of doing this myself on a Spec crosstrail...a more suitable bike, do you reckon?

Hey, thanks for letting me know about that; hadn't heard of it..I'll definitely look into it (would be my first Audax). Yeah ,the crosstrail would be good I'd say, I could have done with some suspension today :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Did the paddy martin randonee 120 route which was a great course and well organised. Met plenty of bray wheelers members - decent people all round.

Had one of those days where my legs just didn't seem to have power in them but was happy with the average when I got back so no complaining! Think I went out too fast and suffered on the hills as a result.

118.1kms 26.5 avg 1675 gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

94 k this morning,
    the group averaged about 25kph for the first 2 hours, this included a couple of punctures.
    I can't even tell you the route we cycled but it included all the back roads of west Limerick I never knew existed but I know we went through Ballingarry then over to O'Rourkes cross on the Charleville / Limerick road and flew back home with the wind at our backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did the Three Provinces 300k Audax today. Almost incessant rain made it tough going. (Also suffered first puncture since January).
    305k in 11h 50m averaging 25.8km/h with 2,400m climbing.

https://app.strava.com/activities/344035783

(Hard luck to ford2600 who was forced to abandon due to a mechanical. Hope you got back ok.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Did the Three Provinces 300k Audax today. Almost incessant rain made it tough going. (Also suffered first puncture since January).
    305k in 11h 50m averaging 25.8km/h with 2,400m climbing.

https://app.strava.com/activities/344035783

(Hard luck to ford2600 who was forced to abandon due to a mechanical. Hope you got back ok.)

I'm curious, given the km's you're doing how many bikes a year do you go through? No but seriously what are you using that makes these distances even remotely comfortable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm curious, given the km's you're doing how many bikes a year do you go through? No but seriously what are you using that makes these distances even remotely comfortable?

Plenty of htfu I'd imagine.

I've seen WA out a few times and yet to see him even remotely look like he's struggling. These (wannabe) Audax lads are a different breed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Weekly pilgrimage to the hills. I had notions of doing some repeats of Kippure but when I got on the bike the breeze was none too friendly so I just decided to stick with the lower climbs. Started with Kilmashogue to take it easy ;) then Ticknock and the masts then up Kellystown. Then up and down Cruagh and finally back up Stocking Lane.

First time up Ticknock/3 Rock. I actually enjoyed it for some reason. I was fairly slow but felt good. Felt fine on Cruagh too and then halfway up Stocking Lane....power cut. Not like a normal bonk, well normal for me -didn't get all whitey and cold sweats like I usually do. Just completely lost strength in the legs. Speed dropped right down and I had to keep alternating between sitting and standing just to keep moving.
    Wouldn't mind but it was only about 50 km into a planned 80-100. That was just knocked on the head right there and I said F##k it, Lesson learned -Eat a bigger breakfast and probably should have ate better yesterday too.
    66km in 3:13 with 1475m climbing. Set a few prs including some top 5 overall so happy out.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/344381641

Heading to Asturias / Cantabria next week hence the hill repeats. Convinced the missus that we should go there while watching the Vuelta last year. I'd like to come in here boasting about conquering mighty climbs like the Angliru but I'll probably end up blowing my ring on the first bit of a hill I come to. I will do better than I would have done a few months ago though and despite hating hills until recently I'm looking forward to doing more when I get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Nice spin this morning. Weather wasn't too bad at all. Managed to get my gilet off and into jersey pocket while keeping moving which I was happy with since this time last year I wasn't able to cycle with hands off the handle bars!!

Visited home county Galway, then dipped into Roscommon and then back to Mayo. All in all I did 90km on the button at average speed of 30.6k m/hr

I don't use anything special. I usually stick on the Brooks B17 saddle if I know I'm doing 200k+ (although I've often used the standard saddle).

Both of my regular road bikes have in excess of 25k on each of them so I've convinced myself that I'm due a new one soon. It's more tyres, chains, cassettes and chainrings that I get through pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Due to health reasons I've done bollix all in the last week or so.

A bit of a spin around the Tallaght reservoirs that saw my heart rate go out the window, then a spin around Corkagh Park with the missus, which by the end of I wanted to shoot myself in the head. Nothing to do with her! Just so boring.

My inner Goat shed a few tears.

I never knew I had an inner goat :/

Though I now have the utmost respect for anyone who races there, especially those doing the 2015 Corkagh Ladies Series.

They average about 35kph.

Fair play, in fairness.

Did two laps of the reservoirs yesterday with about 680m climbing.

Happy enough with that even though I descend like a granny.

A granny who still has all their skin attached to their face!

I've a fair bit of work to do to get myself into shape for the POTP :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

https://www.strava.com/activities/344796710

Another unwanted gap in my cycling life stutters to an end with a short spin around the park, something bad happened in my surgically reconstructed right knee on the last lap.

Also all previous records for cars driving on the wrong side of the road were obliterated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Drove down to Laragh with a friend and started from there so do two laps of the Sorrento Mountain Classic route, Still coming back from my pelvis fracture so didnt want to put huge pressure on my left leg. Felt good on the drags but not great on the proper hills. My 52-36 is a pita, must see if I can swap for a compact

Good for the soul though

https://www.strava.com/activities/344785996

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Borderfox wrote: »
    My 52-36 is a pita, must see if I can swap for a compact

If you are I'd be interested subject to fitting etc. PM so as not to derail thread. :)

.. My 52-36 is a pita, must see if I can swap for a compact....
    What are you using at the rear? It might be easier to put on a 30 or a 32 rather than changing the front.

(In saying that, the cage might not take it).

...especially those doing the 2015 Corkagh Ladies Series...
    Be sure to give a shout to our McNSCC ladies when you're there. They've been doing us proud lately!
    ...I've a fair bit of work to do to get myself into shape for the POTP :/
    That should be no bother to you - 150k approx and I don't think there's a pile of climbing in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What are you using at the rear? It might be easier to put on a 30 or a 32 rather than changing the front.

(In saying that, the cage might not take it).

I have a 30 on the rear!! I'm on a medium cage derailleur. About 10 pounds over my before accident weight so that is a problem. I had intended racing this year hence the 52-36

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I have a 30 on the rear!! I'm on a medium cage derailleur. About 10 pounds over my before accident weight so that is a problem. I had intended racing this year hence the 52-36

The SS one can take a xx-30 on the rear. The GS (Medium?) can take the 11-32 which, when I asked here, somewhere, is close to being the same if not a tad better than running a 30 on the rear and a 34 on the front, with the new 36/52 yoke.

I think its like having a 30.5 on the rear or something like that.

EDIT Found the math here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95102559
    Be sure to give a shout to our McNSCC ladies when you're there. They've been doing us proud lately!

They are doing very well. Some great "pain faces" to be had too!
    I tend to remain neutral though, the last thing I need is several water bottles bouncing off my noggin by "accident" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

This morning I didn't cycle 4.5k from Glasnevin to Stephens Green nor did I cycle back to Glasnevin later in the day. Tomorrow I won't either.

Having travelled on a variety of bikes over much the same route for 30+ years, I no longer have to face the dubious joys of a daily commute. Instead I will hopefully be able to take to the hills and highways whenever I feel like it.

What will I miss?
    The regular exercise that made getting fit a lot easier.
    The occasional chats with fellow commuters.
    Beating the lights on Gardiner Street from Sean McDermott St to Gardiner Row.
    Passing chock a block traffic on rainy mornings.

What won't I miss?
    Pedestrians walking out in front of me without looking.
    Drivers opening doors without checking their mirrors.
    The van that didn't miss me.
    The chaos of Tara St and D'Olier St.

I had briefly thought of borrowing a helmet cam to record the commute for posterity but it is so deeply ingrained in my memory that I reckon there is no need.

... I no longer have to face the dubious joys of a daily commute. Instead I will hopefully be able to take to the hills and highways whenever I feel like it....
    Enjoy it Mercian Pro! It's a stage of my life that I think about every day (8 years to go).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Yesterday I wandered out along the Dodder - saw a heron and an egret fishing by the outlet of the Swan beside Lansdowne Road, saw many parents and children enjoying the walk or the cycle, stopped in the new fancy deli/butcher's/fish shop The Lotts to buy some purple garlic and arbequina olive oil, had a spin along Sandymount…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

This morning I didn't cycle 4.5k from Glasnevin to Stephens Green nor did I cycle back to Glasnevin later in the day. Tomorrow I won't either.

Having travelled on a variety of bikes over much the same route for 30+ years, I no longer have to face the dubious joys of a daily commute. Instead I will hopefully be able to take to the hills and highways whenever I feel like it.

What will I miss?
    The regular exercise that made getting fit a lot easier.
    The occasional chats with fellow commuters.
    Beating the lights on Gardiner Street from Sean McDermott St to Gardiner Row.
    Passing chock a block traffic on rainy mornings.

What won't I miss?
    Pedestrians walking out in front of me without looking.
    Drivers opening doors without checking their mirrors.
    The van that didn't miss me.
    The chaos of Tara St and D'Olier St.

I had briefly thought of borrowing a helmet cam to record the commute for posterity but it is so deeply ingrained in my memory that I reckon there is no need.
    Have a cracking time Mercian Pro(you lucky, lucky B*****d) I have 20 plus years left before I have time to enjoy the highways & byways.

new route today to avoid my 4 legged friend on the lower road, maynooth> leixlip confey> porterstown> castlenock/phoenixpark> work. 1hr25mins. nice spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

**Watch out Warning**

Just a heads up for those out in the Dalkey / Killiney hills these summers evenings.

Was out yesterday and came across a few groups of teens "Playing Chicken" with bikes descending the hills...twice I was faced with a horned up young lads showing off to the ladies , by standing in the middle of the road and moving left & right ...he was lucky not to get a box from me :mad:

DominoDub wrote: »
    **Watch out Warning**

Just a heads up for those out in the Dalkey / Killiney hills these summers evenings.

Was out yesterday and came across a few groups of teens "Playing Chicken" with bikes descending the hills...twice I was faced with a horned up young lads showing off to the ladies , by standing in the middle of the road and moving left & right ...he was lucky not to get a box from me :mad:
    numties, they must have gotten to much sun or all the blood has gone to their mini brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

49 k this evening with tri club, Limerick -Sixmilebridge- Newmarket on Fergus-Shannon-Limerick.
    37.4kph average with a little gallop to the line at the end.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    new route today to avoid my 4 legged friend on the lower road, maynooth> leixlip confey> porterstown> castlenock/phoenixpark> work. 1hr25mins. nice spin.
    did the same route home yesterday after work, the road surface along by porterstown is appalling. cant cycle today nothing to do with being tired or sore legs, its due to a major case of "big chief roaring hole"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Crappy morning on the bike. Up at 4am after a few g&t's too many last night, and wasn't thinking straight. Out to the 40ft with some friends.

Got out there, relaxed for a bit, and came back to a flat rear tyre. Went to change the tube and realised I didn't bring my set of Allen keys, and the only ones I had in my saddle bag were for my other bike. Then realised in my dazed state, I hadn't even brought my wallet so could wait for a shop to open, or get a taxi or a dart home.

Had to stop every 10 minutes and pump up, then ride at 15kph back into the city, trying to stand to leave weight on the front tyre the whole way.

Ended up getting stuck in the rush hour traffic I got up at 4am to avoid. Guy in a merc driving in the bus lane hit my backside with his mirror. Didn't catch his reg because he was flying, and I was concentrating on not tumbling off the bike.

Made it up past the fruit markets and some teenagers still dressed and drunk from last night who'd robbed pallets of fruit hit me with an apple.

Got home and found out I'm out of coffee.

Gone back to bed. Duvet day.

OldBean wrote: »
    Crappy morning on the bike. Up at 4am after a few g&t's too many last night, and wasn't thinking straight. Out to the 40ft with some friends.

Got out there, relaxed for a bit, and came back to a flat rear tyre. Went to change the tube and realised I didn't bring my set of Allen keys, and the only ones I had in my saddle bag were for my other bike. Then realised in my dazed state, I hadn't even brought my wallet so could wait for a shop to open, or get a taxi or a dart home.

Had to stop every 10 minutes and pump up, then ride at 15kph back into the city, trying to stand to leave weight on the front tyre the whole way.

Ended up getting stuck in the rush hour traffic I got up at 4am to avoid. Guy in a merc driving in the bus lane hit my backside with his mirror. Didn't catch his reg because he was flying, and I was concentrating on not tumbling off the bike.

Made it up past the fruit markets and some teenagers still dressed and drunk from last night who'd robbed pallets of fruit hit me with an apple.

Got home and found out I'm out of coffee.

Gone back to bed. Duvet day.
    Thats some amount of kicks in the B***ox to get so early in the day, the moral of the story, if you drink G&T's dont go out on the bike the following day, get up & drink more G&T's!

Beware descending from Cruagh. There is an accumulation of gravel on one of the corners from someones driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

43km to Howth and back at 7pm this evening in lovely, frisky weather...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement