Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Currently injured so no running. Decided to take the bike out after work on Wednesday.

Over the Toll bridge, up through Fairview, Clontarf, Howth etc. Back through Sutton, Baldoyle, Malahide and back into town. Very pleasant. Not having cycled that distance before the neck and shoulders were a bit sore towards the end but nothing too bad.

Only down side was puncture around Baldoyle, just about as far away from home as I was likely to get. Had a spare tube but it was one that recently patched and not tested out before hand so wasn't sure it would get me home.

Also the mini pump is incapable of fully inflating the tyre so was a nervous enough cycle home from there, knowing I was rightly screwed if I got another one.

Overall very happy though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/346906458

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Tackled my first really big climb today, Puerto San Glorio in Cantabria. 26.1km @4.9%, 1294m ascent.
    Set off nice and early from the guesthouse, temperature was about 18. Nice sweeping descent for about 5 km, just enough to get a feel for the rental bike, a Fuji Sportif. I must say, it's actually a nice comfortable bike. A good bit heavier and not a snappy as my own but nothing wrong at all with it.
    I made decent time on the first part of the climb from Potes to La Vega but I slowed down a bit to save energy as I have a bad habit of going off to fast and blowing up.
    Some people can climb in Z2, I'm not one of them. I got my rhythm in between Z3 and Z4 and just kept turning the pedals.
    I stopped a couple of times on the way up, not because I was tired but because the scenery was just fking outrageous. I stuck a few photos up on the strava but they do the place no justice. Watching the Vuelta last year I managed to convince herself we should come here and I'm just completely blown away by the place. Anyone looking for an alternative to the alps or pyrenees should check out the Picos de Europa. I lost count of the number of eagles and condors flying overhead. Spotted 2 Pine Martens too. Road surface was immaculate....Cycling heaven IMHO.
    Made the top of the Puerto San Glorio pass feeling fairly good and decided to turn up a small road to a viewing point giving me about another 100 m elevation. I have a pair of hideous polka dot socks. I wore them for the irony. I figure when I was dying on the climb, unable to lift my head I'd see the polka dots and hurl some abuse at myself for pretending I could cycle up a mountain. Turns out I didn't have to. Smooth road and even gradient made the climb quite bearable.
    Then the descent..... The real reason for climbing!!! 26 km in 35 minutes. Could have been a bit quicker but for bloody cars taking over the road- tourists, hmmph ;)
    Then that lovely sweeping descent at the start came back to haunt me. Temperature was up in the high 20s now and with 65 k already done I suffered like a dog to get home. Then I spotted the poxy socks. Oh well...

I'm chilling out now, don't think I'll do any cycling tomorrow. I'll let the Queen off shopping or sightseeing on her own while I look after the kids.
    Sunday morning I think I'll try for Fuente Dé. Look out Purito ;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/347887755

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Tackled my first really big climb today, Puerto San Glorio in Cantabria. 26.1km @4.9%, 1294m ascent.
    Set off nice and early from the guesthouse, temperature was about 18. Nice sweeping descent for about 5 km, just enough to get a feel for the rental bike, a Fuji Sportif. I must say, it's actually a nice comfortable bike. A good bit heavier and not a snappy as my own but nothing wrong at all with it.
    I made decent time on the first part of the climb from Potes to La Vega but I slowed down a bit to save energy as I have a bad habit of going off to fast and blowing up.
    Some people can climb in Z2, I'm not one of them. I got my rhythm in between Z3 and Z4 and just kept turning the pedals.
    I stopped a couple of times on the way up, not because I was tired but because the scenery was just fking outrageous. I stuck a few photos up on the strava but they do the place no justice. Watching the Vuelta last year I managed to convince herself we should come here and I'm just completely blown away by the place. Anyone looking for an alternative to the alps or pyrenees should check out the Picos de Europa. I lost count of the number of eagles and condors flying overhead. Spotted 2 Pine Martens too. Road surface was immaculate....Cycling heaven IMHO.
    Made the top of the Puerto San Glorio pass feeling fairly good and decided to turn up a small road to a viewing point giving me about another 100 m elevation. I have a pair of hideous polka dot socks. I wore them for the irony. I figure when I was dying on the climb, unable to lift my head I'd see the polka dots and hurl some abuse at myself for pretending I could cycle up a mountain. Turns out I didn't have to. Smooth road and even gradient made the climb quite bearable.
    Then the descent..... The real reason for climbing!!! 26 km in 35 minutes. Could have been a bit quicker but for bloody cars taking over the road- tourists, hmmph ;)
    Then that lovely sweeping descent at the start came back to haunt me. Temperature was up in the high 20s now and with 65 k already done I suffered like a dog to get home. Then I spotted the poxy socks. Oh well...

I'm chilling out now, don't think I'll do any cycling tomorrow. I'll let the Queen off shopping or sightseeing on her own while I look after the kids.
    Sunday morning I think I'll try for Fuente Dé. Look out Purito ;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/347887755
    were did you get the socks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

325km, 4000m elevation, 27,7 avg.

https://app.strava.com/activities/348246150/overview

That's about as much as I am able to say now, I am totally exhausted ;-)

(kudos to Ford2600 for preparing the southern leg of this ride! The scenery was stunning, roads generally very good, as promised :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'd like to do that route someday, maybe next time I'm visiting the in-laws. You must have had a decent tailwind in places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Alek wrote: »
    325km, 4000m elevation, 27,7 avg.

https://app.strava.com/activities/348246150/overview

That's about as much as I am able to say now, I am totally exhausted ;-)

(kudos to Ford2600 for preparing the southern leg of this ride! The scenery was stunning, roads generally very good, as promised :) )

Great ride. Enjoy the beer, grub and rest.

Glad to help you get the most out of your parental leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Well done Alek. Epic stuff. You are turning into a natural* Audaxer.

*Audax is not natural.

You must have had a decent tailwind in places.

Can't say I haven't ;) The route is great, maybe except the part after Laragh - the original plan was to go via Sally Gap but at that stage thinking of more hills made me want to vomit, if you excuse ;)

Glad to help you get the most out of your parental leave!

Parental leave is a godsend, but only if kids are away :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Left the house at 10.30, my first trip out on the road bike since the Maratona on July 5th.
    Usual route from Clondalkin up to Ballinascorney, then onto Sally Gap, then went to Roundwood from there, which I think I've only done once before in all my time cycling, as I usually go onto Laragh instead.
    It was a right slog coming back to the Gap!
    Sppedo gave up on me (think I need a new one!) so no idea of the stats, but it was between 85-90k and deffo over 25kmph. Felt great all the way back from the Gap, flew back from there.
    Had the misfortune to encounter a cycling nobhead on Ballinascorney. Passed two lads and said hello, the first guy responded in kind, but his pal's first comment was the oul 'ive never done this hill before'. That **** irritates me, its a real getting excuses in early for me, God forbid you think they aren't any use. Personally I couldn't care less, Ive never judged or cared about another cyclists ability in my life.
    Anyway, I went on ahead and coming just over the top he got on my back wheel and stayed there for a couple of minutes. He then went to overtake and the first thing he says is 'ah youre in the granny wheel'. My reply was basically 'don't sit on my wheel for a couple of minutes and then overtake and make a snide comment to insult me'. I always do the last 800 metres of that hill in the smallest gear, has never done me any harm.
    Told him he would be better off being polite and then just ignored him.
    Reminded me of the old maxim, 'if you haven't anything nice to say, say nothing.'
    Anyway, rant over, really enjoyed the cycle otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Hit the hills today; 3-rock, Kilmashogue, Tibradden, Cruagh, Sally Gap, Kippure & Devil's Elbow - wind was crazy at times, particularly going up the gap. I was seriously slow but happy to get the metres in the legs. Loads of cyclists out today --102k & 2000metres https://www.strava.com/activities/348629569

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

57 kms last night around south Dublin.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/348151513

52 kms early this morning around the Blessington lakes. Very cold to start off but only had a short sleeve jersey on. Went past someone's garden and saw about 15 wild deer snooping around! It's a very long time since I cycled around those lakes, should do it more often.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/348442971

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

terrydel wrote: »
    Told him he would be better off being polite and then just ignored him.
    Reminded me of the old maxim, 'if you haven't anything nice to say, say nothing.'

Ah yes, those sparkling wits who call (from their car) "Taking the bike for a walk?" as you puff up a steep hill pushing your heavy bicycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

After a morning of stretching and icing, and agood old foam rolling till tears of my treacherous ITB I managed a brief cowardly spin around the park on the new bike.

I suck but it can suck it up, twice I hit large roots or rocks that I didn't see coming and the bike just danced over them, once I found a lovely camouflaged ramp in the middle of a grass trail about 1 second before hitting it ,but the bike took the small jump gracefully despite the wibbly lump astride it, climbing is no problem on it and the tyres were fine for dry conditions at least.

So far so happy out, I even tried to practice a few dismount drills in the field around the papal cross but the fear of being taunted by small children after inevitably failing stopped me from pushing through to completion.

https://www.strava.com/activities/348833883

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hey RS, I'm not sure its a great idea to be foam rolling your ITB, have you been to a Physio? I've been told that you are much better off concentrating on loosening up your TFL which will help release the ITB. Hope you get it sorted anyway.

My ride today brought me from Terenure to Enniskerry, onto Delgany via Glen of the downs, Greystones, Bray and back via Dalkey and Dun Laoighre. About 70km in total.

My longest ever ride at about 3 hours in terms of moving time. Currently in the middle of marathon training but can't run due to a calf injury. The upside is getting to go on rides like this. Great day for it, even if it was a bit windy.

Plenty of nice climbs and also some terrifying descents (for me at least).

https://www.strava.com/activities/348698404

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hey RS, I'm not sure its a great idea to be foam rolling your ITB, have you been to a Physio? I've been told that you are much better off concentrating on loosening up your TFL which will help release the ITB. Hope you get it sorted anyway.

My ride today brought me from Terenure to Enniskerry, onto Delgany via Glen of the downs, Greystones, Bray and back via Dalkey and Dun Laoighre. About 70km in total.

My longest ever ride at about 3 hours in terms of moving time. Currently in the middle of marathon training but can't run due to a calf injury. The upside is getting to go on rides like this. Great day for it, even if it was a bit windy.

Plenty of nice climbs and also some terrifying descents (for me at least).

https://www.strava.com/activities/348698404

I have spent more time with physioterrorists than most, on my unreconstructed knee I have a particular set of injuries that are to be managed rather than cured, other pressures of late have disrupted my stabilising ecosystem of stabilising exercises. allowing the itB to pull my partial knee cap out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Went up Fuente Dé, scene of Contador's great win over Purito today. On paper it was nowhere near as hard as the climb I did on friday but I could still feel the legs a bit tired after spending half yesterday traipsing around the trails in the countryside with the wife and kids (mostly carrying the 3 year old).
    Left the guesthouse about 7 after a good bowl of cereal and a banana and there wasn't a sinner on the road. The beginning of the climb out of Potes to Camaléno was easy, average of about 2% so I made good time there. Then the road started to kick up a little but despite a bit of burn in the legs I was feeling good enough so I pushed on and passed a sign that said 11% 300m. It was a whole lot longer than 300m.
    I was inside my target time and the scenery was gorgeous so I took a breather and a photo then ploughed on. Then just outside Los LLanos the road kicked up harder again and I damn near lost that banana on myself. Had to put the foot down and stop myself wretching. Wouldn't mind but the HR wasn't out of control, I wasn't blowing up, I just had to fight with the breakfast for about 30 seconds before I could get going again.
    After that little incident I felt better all over and when the next ramp of 12% at Cosgaya I actually powered up it.
    From there to Espinama was steady enough and from there again to the top was a bit rampy but managable.
    Couldn't resist punching the air like Contador when I passed the spot where the finish line was. Then I realised the road continued for another 200m or so so I went up there turned round, came back to the spot for a few pics and then headed for home.
    I said it the other day but again, the scenery is just breathtaking here and the road surfaces are a dream. I'll definitely be back

63km with 1500m climbing in 2;36 @ 24kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/349156712

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Lovely morning.

Friend popped over for his first cycle in years, he's looking at getting a bike on the BTS next week and borrowed my spare.

Out to Howth with himself and another, I had all my panniers on with the purpose of stopping and getting fish from the harbour. Stocked up on salmon, mackerel and prawns, then on the return journey, decided to pop over to Dollymount, hit up some trails to the marshy section and picked a bag of sea beet and samphire. Took a pretty hilarious spill on the way back, rabbit holes and sand sent me and the fully loaded bike flying into soft grass but all good apart from a bruising to my pride. My mate was on my CX bike, was very jealous of him flying through the dunes.

Fish on the smoker when we got in the door, samphire cleaned and a quick boil. Clean plates. My mate asked if we can head out again during the week. Result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

77kms this morning. From Greystones in to Ranelagh, Dundrum, Stepaside, Enniskerry and back home. 186 kms since Friday which is enough for me! Huge amount of cyclists out today, seemed to be a constant stream of them from Greystones to Shankill!

Felt really great today and really enjoyed just taking in the sights and sounds around Dublin. Came to the conclusion today (not that it was ever in doubt) that- I. Love. Cycling.

OldBean wrote: »
    Lovely morning.

Friend borrowed my spare.

By which you mean your wife's bike?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's cold up n Kipnure!

https://www.strava.com/activities/349507136

After yesterdays first spin on the CX bike I realised my saddle might be set a little low on the roadbike so gave it a 2cm boost and set off.

Stopped in the park and raised it another 2cm, still feel like I might need to raise it another CM. How have I been doing it so wrong for so long?

Anyways, due to the poor state of my knees I decided I'd better keep it fairly flat and went Strawberry Beds-Clonee-Kilbride-More zooming around on backroads-stop at a friends house for a coffee and cycling chat then back to Clonee- Finglas (where some obese young hard men apparently unaware of my deadly (to them) ability to maintain a light jog for several minutes tried scaring me by screeching girlishly as they passed in their car - to a missed turn requiring me to use the canal path back to Ashtown- to the Park and home.

Sad though I was at being relegated to easy routes it still felt great to be out, and my knees feel if anything, better for the spinning (with more pull) in the higher saddle position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Such a pity there isn't a cycle path along the south bank of the Liffey across from the Strawberry Beds. The Lower Road is a bit deadly.

Is there an old version of Strava that works on older phones available for download anywhere? With my terrible sense of direction I keep having to rediscover routes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

116km with 1700m of climbing. I', in rag order now but needed that!

Stopped an helped some ladies who were in difficult with their bikes. Chain caught on the casstee. My good deed for the day (for stopping the two ladies sorted it out them selfs!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

godtabh wrote: »
    116km with 1700m of climbing. I', in rag order now but needed that!

Stopped an helped some ladies who were in difficult with their bikes. Chain caught on the casstee. My good deed for the day (for stopping the two ladies sorted it out them selfs!)

Saw that on Strava, Some great climbing, well done. I aspire to that stuff :D

It would kill me :/

Saw that on Strava, Some great climbing, well done. I aspire to that stuff :D

It would kill me :/

Cycling up to Kippure nearly killed me!

With the Evil coming up and the damage I did on holidays I needed to get a big ride in today

godtabh wrote: »
    I needed to get a big ride in today

tumblr_m5i82qs3yg1rr7wnno1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

Tour of Kerry stage 2 today.
    Tralee, Farranore, Kllarney, Gap of Dunloe, Molls gap, Ballaghbeama, Glencar, Killorglin, over the little Mountain and back to Tralee.

Tough day in the saddle, beautiful weather and the scenery... STUNNING, let me say that again, STUNNING.
    I've never stopped during a sportive before for a photo but the view from the top of the gap of Dunloe demanded one.
    I need to go to bed now, I'm wrecked.

141.32 km
    5:07:04 Moving Time
    27.6 kph Avg Moving Speed
    60.6 kph Max Speed
    1,537 mElev Gain
    1 m Min Elev
    265 m Max Elev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

one way spin to Ballydangan(near Ballinasloe) from Leixlip this morning
    Youngest lad off to Gaeltacht , headed off before the family and met later
    OMG the wind i know its died down since friday but it was still a killer for me on the old Dublin Galway route N4/N6, wide open no shelter..none
    only 2 other cyclists on the westbound route and that was at Intel just after leaving Leixlip...
    met some more heading eastbound around Kilbeggan Moate Athlone on club spins. i now appreciate looped spins and a few fellow cyclists in a sportive etc to hide/shelter in the group

https://www.strava.com/activities/349797163

• Advertisement

devonp wrote: »
    one way spin to Ballydangan(near Ballinasloe) from Leixlip this morning
    Youngest lad off to Gaeltacht , headed off before the family and met later
    OMG the wind i know its died down since friday but it was still a killer for me on the old Dublin Galway route N4/N6, wide open no shelter..none
    only 2 other cyclists on the westbound route and that was at Intel just after leaving Leixlip...
    met some more heading eastbound around Kilbeggan Moate Athlone on club spins. i now appreciate looped spins and a few fellow cyclists in a sportive etc to hide/shelter in the group

https://www.strava.com/activities/349797163

I do that route regularly. Only done it twice in the opposite direction. The way home is so much better!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement