Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Trying to get out of the habit of avoiding hills, so I did a 37k loop yesterday, including Strike's Hill, outside Dungarvan.

The route I took I somehow had the climb without the pleasure of the descent. Must rethink my routes in future!

https://www.strava.com/activities/349591078

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not out today, but I've finally got child care sorted for one of my days off and have this planned for tomorrow:
    https://connect.garmin.com/course/10237663

Had a longer course planned too, with more hills:

https://connect.garmin.com/course/10239245

but if its as hot tomorrow as it is today, I might find that too much.

Only posting this now so that I cant change my mind and not get out tomorrow..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not out today, but I've finally got child care sorted for one of my days off and have this planned for tomorrow:
    https://connect.garmin.com/course/10237663

Had a longer course planned too, with more hills:

https://connect.garmin.com/course/10239245

but if its as hot tomorrow as it is today, I might find that too much.

Only posting this now so that I cant change my mind and not get out tomorrow..

I hope your boards gear arrives on time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

https://www.strava.com/activities/349507136

Stopped in the park and raised it another 2cm, still feel like I might need to raise it another CM. How have I been doing it so wrong for so long?

Be careful with this. Saddle too high or too low can destroy even healthy knees. And I mean like 5mm each direction, over a long time! (My friend, a very experienced cyclist, had to take 10 paracetamols to finish Mick Byrne 200... only because he forgot to mark the saddle height when changing the seatpost....:eek: Right knee almost killed him)

If you are unsure whether your seat is right or not by 30mm (!), it would be the best to have a bike fit done - even a cheap&easy one.

I may eyeball your position when I come to see the CdF, but I give no guarantees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Alek wrote: »
    Be careful with this. Saddle too high or too low can destroy even healthy knees. And I mean like 5mm each direction, over a long time! (My friend, a very experienced cyclist, had to take 10 paracetamols to finish Mick Byrne 200... only because he forgot to mark the saddle height when changing the seatpost....:eek: Right knee almost killed him)

If you are unsure whether your seat is right or not by 30mm (!), it would be the best to have a bike fit done - even a cheap&easy one.

I may eyeball your position when I come to see the CdF, but I give no guarantees.

Probably a bit foolish of your friend to continue if he was in that much discomfort. He's still doing damage although the paracetamol may have taken the edge off the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It was his decision to continue. I'd probably quit.

At the end of the day he is fine now and riding 400k this weekend :D It turned out to be a muscle/ligament issue caused by overextending the leg (saddle too high) but I've heard that this may lead to permanent knee damage over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Yeah pondering a bike fit. But at present there's still a bend in my leg and my knees feel a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Only one hill has ever beaten me and that was about 6 years ago . It wasn't especially huge hill but I wasn't fit and had Chinese night before .

It's always been at back of my mind , well I've just signed up for cycle (hard way round) in kerry and that hill is in it so today I thought lets kick that hills ass.

Oh my god the oncoming wind today was unreal and to say it was chucking it down would be a understatement .

Anyway I just about maðe it up . Thank god for that , I don't know what I'd have done if it beat me again .

Get in!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Sort of did my planned ride today..

https://app.strava.com/activities/350751327

Got horribly lost at the start, got stuck in the city - traffic lights every 200m hence first hour only did 19Km!! (really must figure out this Garmin). Found the lake and was away. Lovely day here, mid 30's. Lots of nice cars on the roads (Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc but for me the Maseratis have the best engine tone) By 80Km I was starting to get sore - legs, neck (not done enough lately, I know) but got there in the end, more of a crawl at the end tbh.
    Best part was, my Boards kit arrived this morning so it got its first airing and I'm very happy with it.
    Thanks gobtabh for sorting that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Only been cycling a short time and I know statistics and stuff don't suggest that it's actually that dangerous and stuff, but I've had a few close calls with cars. I don't think any of them were my fault - a couple of people overtaking and leaving no space. Yesterday someone came around a bend verrry fast and was fairly close to my back wheel by the time they slowed down. Have to say, my faith in the safety of it all has been given a shaking :(

On the bright side, I broke 30kph average for the first time yesterday (even if it was in a group!!) If things keep going this way, my faith may be restored!!

Edit: And a couple of weeks ago a guy driving towards us in a van interrupted the phone call he was having to wave angrily at us :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Got a quick 40 k in this evening , struggled a bit 27k average. Need to get back on the bike a it more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

didnt cycle to work today. did Maynooth to citycentre yesterday in 67mins, did home journey in 71 mins. avg kmph 26.8 and 25.4. the road condition along by porterstown house is pure sh1te, just before the turn down into blanchardstown it improves and its pretty okay the rest of the way in through castlenock. (small gripe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

So today, five months since I was in hospital with blood clots in my lungs I actually did some exercise. These five months have been hell. I've had breakthrough symptoms in my schizophrenia due to the stress of being in hospital, nearly dying and recovery (breakthrough symptoms are pretty much the acute symptoms returning, and coming close to psychosis again, including paranoia, general anxiety attacks, etc.) I've been eating unhealthily. I've been desperately distracting myself by writing two novels in a month, taking thousands of photographs, writing poetry, etc. I go weeks without drinking then drink too much for five days in a row. I lie in bed feeling like I'm being attacked by my own brain. All in all it hasn't been very fun.

I had to go back to hospital for something the other day, and a nurse who saw me when I was in with the pulmonary embolisms commented that I seemed to be in a bad way (but she said it nicer than that.) So after sleeping all day yesterday to recover from the hospital today I got back on my bike.

When I was last cycling I was doing 50km without an issue, 50km was fun. I was just getting the bike out after the winter when I ended up in hospital. The winter plus these five months of nothing have been of no help to my health. I did 16.8km today. Hills that I'd power up previously, trying to beat my best times today I dreaded and struggled up. A hill that I previously treated as a warm down I had to stop and take a breather on. But still, I actually managed to cycle. Now to let my butt recover and get back out in a day or two.

I'm wrecked at the moment, but it's a good wrecked.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    So today, five months since I was in hospital with blood clots in my lungs I actually did some exercise. These five months have been hell. I've had breakthrough symptoms in my schizophrenia due to the stress of being in hospital, nearly dying and recovery (breakthrough symptoms are pretty much the acute symptoms returning, and coming close to psychosis again, including paranoia, general anxiety attacks, etc.) I've been eating unhealthily. I've been desperately distracting myself by writing two novels in a month, taking thousands of photographs, writing poetry, etc. I go weeks without drinking then drink too much for five days in a row. I lie in bed feeling like I'm being attacked by my own brain. All in all it hasn't been very fun.

I had to go back to hospital for something the other day, and a nurse who saw me when I was in with the pulmonary embolisms commented that I seemed to be in a bad way (but she said it nicer than that.) So after sleeping all day yesterday to recover from the hospital today I got back on my bike.

When I was last cycling I was doing 50km without an issue, 50km was fun. I was just getting the bike out after the winter when I ended up in hospital. The winter plus these five months of nothing have been of no help to my health. I did 16.8km today. Hills that I'd power up previously, trying to beat my best times today I dreaded and struggled up. A hill that I previously treated as a warm down I had to stop and take a breather on. But still, I actually managed to cycle. Now to let my butt recover and get back out in a day or two.

I'm wrecked at the moment, but it's a good wrecked.
    A recovered butt is a good thing! Get back out and enjoy your time out there.
    well done.

Only been cycling a short time and I know statistics and stuff don't suggest that it's actually that dangerous and stuff, but I've had a few close calls with cars. I don't think any of them were my fault - a couple of people overtaking and leaving no space. Yesterday someone came around a bend verrry fast and was fairly close to my back wheel by the time they slowed down. Have to say, my faith in the safety of it all has been given a shaking :(

On the bright side, I broke 30kph average for the first time yesterday (even if it was in a group!!) If things keep going this way, my faith may be restored!!

Edit: And a couple of weeks ago a guy driving towards us in a van interrupted the phone call he was having to wave angrily at us :(

You'll get used to it. But yes there are a few idiots out there, but they are the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Heading towards Howth along the coast road from Portmarnock - just past Sutton Cross station - some plonker decides to overtake an artic heading towards me and shaves past me. It's times like this that I wish I had a helmet camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Heading towards Howth along the coast road from Portmarnock - just past Sutton Cross station - some plonker decides to overtake an artic heading towards me and shaves past me. It's times like this that I wish I had a helmet camera.

Never wanted to become that person either but had two very close shaves yesterday.

Went for a quick 30k spin to take the strains of the day away, at the start of the ride some woman pulls up to a junction on my left and drives right over the cycle lane I was on sheer metres from me. She did what pretty much every motorist does in such a scenario and looked past me so I had to slow and move right out into the middle of the road to make sure I wasn't clipped.

Then coming home on the same road and turning into my estate I looked behind, all clear moved out to the right of the lane to turn right, indicated and just before turning I look again and there's a tulip half overtaking me at speed.

I seem to be jinxed of late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Headed to Wicklow for a spin, originally planning to do the mid part of Wicklow 200, from Laragh back to Laragh, about 106km.
    Then decided i'd try to get the Strava Alpe d'Huez challenge done in 1 day so modified my route for less distance and more climbing.

My 1st time over Slieve Mann and Shay Elliott, tough enough but i don't think my gearing helps, my lowest is 36 x 25, which is probably ok for better climbers than me but i usually only get to hills like that once or twice a year.

Happy out though as my max climbing on a spin before today was 1200m.
    https://app.strava.com/activities/351562163

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Did my first ever 10 mile TT today. Lamb's cross out to the petrol station outside Enniskerry and back again. Not the flattest route, but the flattest I could find near me. 33:42, which I'm happy ish with. I just threw a set of clip on aero bars on to my road bike and went for it. Before I started I thought I'd be happy with anything sub 30, hence the happy "ish". I'll definitely do more of these, hopefully the odd competitive one too. Time to get looking for more routes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

First proper climb. Decided to go up the Col de la Madone. Thought it'd be handy from looking at the profile. I was very wrong. Its just relentless for 13.1km. The 40 degree heat didn't help nor did the rented bike. Its my own fault for not having checked it over.

Pretty sure I passed Philip deignan. Granted I was coming down as he was going up. https://www.strava.com/activities/351509967

• Advertisement

28.90 km in 70 mins this morning avg. 24.5kmph.

ps, many thanks to the dublinbus driver who stopped to allow me pass him on ormond quay on tuesday morning, whats more he didnt overtake me as we made our way down the quays towards o'connell bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Sarz91 wrote: »
    First proper climb. Decided to go up the Col de la Madone. Thought it'd be handy from looking at the profile. I was very wrong. Its just relentless for 13.1km. The 40 degree heat didn't help nor did the rented bike. Its my own fault for not having checked it over.

Pretty sure I passed Philip deignan. Granted I was coming down as he was going up. https://www.strava.com/activities/351509967

Richie Porte has the fastest time up there. Just shows how good he is when he can beat Armstrong's time:

Great effort BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Don't ask me why, but I decided to head up the Madone again this morning. Took nearly 2 minutes off my time from yesterday but still not close to Armstrong's time...... 3rd times a charm I guess. Fortunately for Armstrong and Porte I'm leaving today so their records are safe for another little while.

It was a little less tough today and had a good bit left at the top so I ended up a bit disappointed. Some chap was absolutely gunning it. He passed me with about 4km to go. I was going to try stay with him but I thought better of it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/352175714

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

oconnpad wrote: »
    Headed to Wicklow for a spin, originally planning to do the mid part of Wicklow 200, from Laragh back to Laragh, about 106km.

Met up with a friend in Laragh and decided to do the same as above. Made reasonable time over the Wicklow Gap and down to Baltinglass despite a bit of a headwind. Found a great new place for lunch there called The Perch that must do the best blaas in Wicklow!
    Decided to cut the corner after lunch and headed straightish for Slieve Maan via Rathdangan. (W200 would have gone through Hacketstown and Knockananna.) Lovely roads especially with a tailwind. Over SM and Shay Elliot and back to Laragh in just under 4 hours.
    85km, 22.0 average and 1490m climbing. Happy day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Met up with a friend in Laragh and decided to do the same as above. Made reasonable time over the Wicklow Gap and down to Baltinglass despite a bit of a headwind. Found a great new place for lunch there called The Perch that must do the best blaas in Wicklow!
    Decided to cut the corner after lunch and headed straightish for Slieve Maan via Rathdangan. (W200 would have gone through Hacketstown and Knockananna.) Lovely roads especially with a tailwind. Over SM and Shay Elliot and back to Laragh in just under 4 hours.
    85km, 22.0 average and 1490m climbing. Happy day.

The Perch is lovely! A bit hipster but food is good and the staff are nice and not preening nobs like in most hipster places.
    Worth the God awful monotony of a cycle out the N81 to Baltinglass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Usual 40km commute to work this morning but beat my best time on that route by 7 minutes. Very happy, until this evening when on my 40 km ride home via a different route, I knocked 11 minutes off my best time for that route! Despite a slowish start this evening as the legs were a bit tired, I really felt myself picking up the pace in the latter half of the ride home to average 27kph for the 40kms. Looking at my stats, I was doing 35-37kph for the last 10km. Not bad for a guy the wrong side of 46!

Tomorrow marks the 1st anniversary of my bike. On my first trip into work on it last year, it took me 1hr49minutes. Did it this morning in 1hr 25minutes. Wonder how much lower I can get that time? While I don't want every commute turning into a time trial, it's heartening to see how much I've improved in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Pretty sure I passed Gay Byrne on the cycle path along Clontarf today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Pretty sure I passed Gay Byrne on the cycle path along Clontarf today....

Well in fairness he is over 80!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ryath

Well in fairness he is over 80!

What does he ride?

I'm putting back in your ninja edit!

A high horse!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Ryath wrote: »
    I'm putting back in your ninja edit!

A high horse!

Not a high nelly?