Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Ryath wrote: »
    I'm putting back in your ninja edit!

A high horse!

I was just so full of retorts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Domane wrote: »
    Usual 40km commute to work this morning but beat my best time on that route by 7 minutes. Very happy, until this evening when on my 40 km ride home via a different route, I knocked 11 minutes off my best time for that route! Despite a slowish start this evening as the legs were a bit tired, I really felt myself picking up the pace in the latter half of the ride home to average 27kph for the 40kms. Looking at my stats, I was doing 35-37kph for the last 10km. Not bad for a guy the wrong side of 46!

Tomorrow marks the 1st anniversary of my bike. On my first trip into work on it last year, it took me 1hr49minutes. Did it this morning in 1hr 25minutes. Wonder how much lower I can get that time? While I don't want every commute turning into a time trial, it's heartening to see how much I've improved in a year.
    thats motoring Domane, WTF do you have for lunch,you have nearly 5 years on me as well! my commute is just under 29kms & my best is 67 mins with an average of 26.something.
    Tried a new route to stay away from the north quays yesterday nearly 15 mins before I got to Parkgate Street(from the GPO) fcuk it, i'll take my chances crossing over and heading up into the park.

Usual 40km commute to work this morning but beat my best time on that route by 7 minutes. Very happy, until this evening when on my 40 km ride home via a different route, I knocked 11 minutes off my best time for that route! Despite a slowish start this evening as the legs were a bit tired, I really felt myself picking up the pace in the latter half of the ride home to average 27kph for the 40kms. Looking at my stats, I was doing 35-37kph for the last 10km. Not bad for a guy the wrong side of 46!

Tomorrow marks the 1st anniversary of my bike. On my first trip into work on it last year, it took me 1hr49minutes. Did it this morning in 1hr 25minutes. Wonder how much lower I can get that time? While I don't want every commute turning into a time trial, it's heartening to see how much I've improved in a year.
    thats motoring Domane, WTF do you have for lunch,you have nearly 5 years on me as well! my commute is just under 29kms & my best is 67 mins with an average of 26.something.
    Tried a new route to stay away from the north quays yesterday nearly 15 mins before I got to Parkgate Street(from the GPO) fcuk it, i'll take my chances crossing over and heading up into the park.

Well in fairness he is over 80!
    he was doing over 80, in a cycle lane. The feckless rogue!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Big thanks to the mystery person who picked up my dropped pannier off the road on parkgate st at around half 6 last night and left it on the court steps. didn't notice it was gone till I got home despite a record time up infirmary Rd! Wallet and inhalers still sitting in it when I retraced my steps to find it, I owe you a pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Sat spin
    Maynooth Clane Ardclough Celbridge Leixlip
    2 locals stopped on Boston hill for a chat, scuppered my attempt at a PR on this
    kept good pace on the spin to get home for the TdF stage

https://www.strava.com/activities/353582082

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

First post-Marmotte inferno long ride today. Oh the joy of a cloudy dry chilly Irish Summer's day!

Took my regular 105k training route taking in Mt. Leinster and am shocked to find what appears to be a significant bump in my times: 21 Strava trophies including 14 PRs. Not sure if it's a training benefit from the Marmotte itself or perhaps more likely the three weeks of relative rest since (barring a handful of short rides).

RB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm supposed to be marathon training but injury means I'm on the bike at the moment. Today, nice trip out from Rathfarnham, up towards Bohernabreena, in up towards Blessington Lakes, into Blessington, then back home via Rathcoole, Saggart and Tallaght.

About 90km in total, was very enjoyable, the first 10 or 15k were tough but after that it wasn't too bad. 3 hrs 40 moving time, pretty happy with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/353676758

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Just under 80km from Blessington, going Hollywood, Wicklow Gap (absolutely crap surface on the west side of this with Wicklow CC having put down a metric f*ckton of chippings - delighted not to have been descending it!), Laragh, Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride and back to Blessington. Over 1,000 metres of climbing, and was the first up the hills from my group, so pretty happy with that, after suffering last week. Overall probably small fry for most people here, but pretty happy with it having done far too little cycling outside commuting this year.

Also got spotted by colm18 climbing up to Glenmacnass

https://www.strava.com/activities/353741424

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Dublin - Bray - Glendalough - Wicklow Gap - Blessington - Dublin.

135km and 1050m of climbing. For some reason it was really gray day out, I was more or less done with the ride already after first 50k but decided to power through the ride anyways.

Descent from Wicklow Gap towards Blessington was pretty unpleasant with the loose surface and stones thrown from speeding cars and motorbikes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/353868441

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

My cousin is home for summer holidays and her husband is here with her, he's a gentleman and a strong cyclist so when he asked to be shown some of Wicklow's top climbs what could I do but oblige, I gathered up a few lads for company and we headed on early this morning (rolled out of home 6.30ish, met the lads in Kilcullen at 7).

We headed up through Hollywood to the Wicklow Gap (council had one side tarred and chipped by that stage) and since it wasn't a bad morning decided to take in Turlough Hill as well before dropping down to Laragh for coffee and a discussion as to where to head for next, someone had told Thomas about the waterfall climb so he was keen to do that, then we decided that as we'd been to one high spot in Wicklow we might as well try the other, the climb to Kippure.

I hadn't been up there before so decided to take it easy early on, even at that after a couple of hundred metres my right leg decided that it was time to cramp up, luckily a quick switch into my biggest sprocket and a bit of vigorous spinning bid the trick and it cleared after a minute and never came back without me having to stop, it wasn't too long before I was back in the biggest rear sprocket, mashing my way up the steep bit near the top. The view from up there was worth it though.

After a quick drop back to Blessington we headed home through Ballymore Eustace and Kilcullen, somewhere along there I realised I was going to finish with about 157km so I fiddled in a few extra km to make it over the 160, OCD I know but I needed something to keep the brain occupied after I left the others.

160km 2144m

https://www.strava.com/activities/353642127/overview

Slightly disturbing event of the day: we were heading up the Wicklow Gap about 7.30 this morning when a car (coming down the opposite way) slammed on the brakes and stopped beside us, the slightly elderly man was saying something to us so we stopped in case he was in trouble but he wanted to have a bit of a rant at us for cycling 2x2, he was a bit agitated (spittle flying everywhere) and red in the face but there was no smell of drink I could get so we just made our excuses and left, maybe we should have taken the number and rang the guards but really it was just strange rather than anything threatening.

Nice event of the day was a few minutes later, a gent out trimming his hedge (yes at 7.30AM) just up the road gave us a great cheer, said we were hardy fellas to be out so early and wished us the best for the day, evened the score a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Boards.ie Evil 200. Enough said!

https://www.strava.com/activities/353951255

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

70 odd k in horrible weather in local charity spin , lovely White Mavic shoes are destroyed. Pace car was going way to slow , luckily I was able to cut off for home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Rode the Pink Elephant 200 as a permanent, 205km plus 60km or so over and back to join route.

It's my third riding "route"(it has involved a bit) and right now it's a thing of beauty; if a difficult enough 200km ride.

Starting in Ballincollig it follows Lee to Coacford before heading upwards to Northern side of Lee Valley and heading cross country and byroads to Clondrohid and onto Ballyvourney. Here it crosses main road and heads partly up Coum before going from a by road to a former by road! Very rough surface but it is desolate and beautiful in equal measure.

From her it drops down in direction of Ballingeary before turning crosscountry again to Gougane Barra; you really owe it to yourself to cycle or walk in this area. Early Christian Irish monks wer probably mad as hatters, but from St Kevin in Glendalogh, to Colmcille to Gougane they knew how to pick out natural beauty.

From Gougane route heads up Pass of Kilnameigh and onto Keakill and Cousane gap-took I took an alternative and went up the Meelagh Valley, stunning if challenging today with high winds.

Down in Dunmanway and via Reennascreen to Rosscarbery. lonely lumpy section of road with headwinds galore today.

Route follows the coast through Castlefreake and Rathbarry and into Clon, before following coast to Ring and onto Timoleague where it passes the Pink Elephant before turning inland to Bandon and onto Crossbarry, where there is one last climb from Owenbue to Lee Valley and back to Ballincollig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This sounds truly beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I don't mind cycling in the rain. I quite like it actually.

It's like being a kid again.

Coming home soaked.

But it's a complete pain in the hole doing a cycle in the rain and then having to come back to your car, and get your sh1t sorted to get home, while it's still pouring down.

I eventually just hoofed the bike into the back of the car, put a towel down on the seat, changed my socks, put on my shoes and drove home as fast as I could.

There was a good chance the Garda could have pulled me over for some unknown reason, your honour, but I was hedging on the fact that there was a "drowned rat" driving the car, in Lycra shorts, which gave one endless excuses to get off..

Happily I didn't need to spin any tales.

Regardless the Meath Heritage Cycle today was good fun. Did the 100 in 4 hours and at times was hammering it.

I did note that my Garmin went slightly bonkers giving me 220 climbing for the day when everyone else had 500+. I used Strava to "re-evaluate" and I ended up with 500+.

I think those willy warmer covers & garmins don't like the rain/being wet.

No more willy warmer for said garmin!

Beer now, bed later.

... and get your sh1t sorted to get home, while it's still pouring down....
    Car home - what luxury!

Think of the brave souls who did the Brown Stuff 400k yesterday/last night/today. Try sleeping in a field in the pouring rain! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Had entered the Meath Heritage cycle and did want to do the 100km but my mate was doing the 50km with his son so I did that spin with them for the banter and company. However this did not mean that I took it easy today as I cycled from home in Clane to Trim, did the 50km and then cycled home via Rathmolyon, Enfield and cross country to Clane. 130km in total on a miserable soaking wet day with strong winds. Funny how the rain and winds disappeared when I got home! However that's a new distance record for me, so I was pleased with my efforts.

Bike has been cleaned down, polished and oiled. Now here's hoping I can get out of bed in the morning.

Btw, my new bib shorts, the Endura FS260's had their first outing today and they were superb. Not a hint of an ache or a numb ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Had entered the Meath Heritage cycle and did want to do the 100km but my mate was doing the 50km with his son so I did that spin with them for the banter and company. However this did not mean that I took it easy today as I cycled from home in Clane to Trim, did the 50km and then cycled home via Rathmolyon, Enfield and cross country to Clane. 130km in total on a miserable soaking wet day with strong winds. Funny how the rain and winds disappeared when I got home! However that's a new distance record for me, so I was pleased with my efforts.

Bike has been cleaned down, polished and oiled. Now here's hoping I can get out of bed in the morning.

Btw, my new bib shorts, the Endura FS260's had their first outing today and they were superb. Not a hint of an ache or a numb ass.

Perchance, did anyone comment on your new shorts in a small shop, while you were getting a coffee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

My garmin didnt like it today either but it was exposed to the elements. Going up the hill in Slane was a -1% gradient. It worked again after being switched off and on at the food stop. I also had an elevation gain of 458m and a loss of 244m so am stuck in some alternative dimension for now.
    Nice cycle, queue for coffee at the food stop on the 100km was pretty mad so i gave up. Coffee and chocolate brownie back in Trim was fantastic. Some amount of punctures out there today as others have mentioned. Thankfully i didnt see any accidents though.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    ...(absolutely crap surface on the west side of this with Wicklow CC having put down a metric f*ckton of chippings - delighted not to have been descending it!)...
    nilhg wrote: »
    ...We headed up through Hollywood to the Wicklow Gap (council had one side tarred and chipped by that stage)....
    That section spoiled our descent of the Wicklow Gap in the Evil 200 yesterday. Very dodgy surface which seemed to go on for miles. More of the same around Ballyknockan also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Did the "supposed" Meath 160.
    Returning from the pub now - tired.
    Now. As opposed to the finish line

Had 200km in my legs and knowing this makes me happy even if 1080m climbing over 157.7km is feck all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

That section spoiled our descent of the Wicklow Gap in the Evil 200 yesterday. Very dodgy surface which seemed to go on for miles. More of the same around Ballyknockan also.

Saw the preparatory warning signs for this on Thursday when descending towards Hollywood. Couldn't understand the need for fresh tar and chippings when the road surface was so good. What are Wicklow CC up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Yeah, I would have been extremely pissed/disappointed if I had climbed up from Laragh and had to tiptoe down over that! As it was it was rough going getting up through it (pretty sure I pinged a few of the people behind me with stones!) but a 7 minute descent to the Glendalough road was pretty nice after it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

Over in Scotland on holiday and brought my bike with me. Went on a spin this morning of a little over 100km. Very light rain all day but a fab spin nonetheless. Got a nice bit of climbing in and a good long descent into a town called Aberfeldy. I'll go back to there to do that the other way around!! Some great scenery too. Going to try get another couple of spins in before the week is out.

http://app.strava.com/activities/355180847

Perchance, did anyone comment on your new shorts in a small shop, while you were getting a coffee?

I couldn't get those shorts here in the stores I tried so I got them from Chain Reaction online. While I try to spend my yoyos in bricks and mortar stores here when possible, sometimes they just don't have what I'm looking for, like these bib shorts that I'd heard great things about. They're the most comfortable shorts I've worn and I think I'll get a second pair, despite the price. If anyone knows a stockist in or around Dublin, I'd buy them here to do my bit for keeping local cycle stores in business.

28.9 Km this morning, didnt pause the workout beofre going for a shower, when I picked up my phone it was still running & all my numbers are arseways. Ah well sh1t happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I couldn't get those shorts here in the stores I tried so I got them from Chain Reaction online. While I try to spend my yoyos in bricks and mortar stores here when possible, sometimes they just don't have what I'm looking for, like these bib shorts that I'd heard great things about. They're the most comfortable shorts I've worn and I think I'll get a second pair, despite the price. If anyone knows a stockist in or around Dublin, I'd buy them here to do my bit for keeping local cycle stores in business.

I've picked them up before in Cycle Surgery in Dundrum. Understand that 360 Cycles in Clontarf also stock Endura. Agree with you on the comfort of the shorts, have three pairs now as well as a couple of pairs of bib knickers for winter.

Cheers for the heads up. I'll be over the north side tomorrow so I'll try that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Got up at 4 to head out for an easy 30km with herself and a mate.

Barely avoided a grisly death trying to wake her up, and my mate slept it out.

Decided on Howth and back, I'd made enough cold brew coffee for three and wasn't going to let it go to waste. Lovely spin out in the dark, but struggled up the village side. I've been out with my mates so often recently, who're just starting off cycling that is not hit hills in ages. Didn't help that I forgot to take towels, togs, camera and misc. crap out of panniers when everyone else backed out. And 2 litres of coffee...

Headwind descending was bloody awful - 35kmph and pushing it on parts, 60kmph and freewheeling in others. Couldn't face that on the return along the coast, tried finding a nicer route through suburbia. Semi successful, but REALLY cold. Temp had dropped nearly 10 degrees from when I'd left the house an hour before. Back home, 40km in and fully caffeinated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement