Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Greystones, Johnny foxes, up featherbeds and over Sally gap to laragh, back via roundwood and kilmac.

Got lashed out of it at near glenmacnass waterfall by sideways rain for 20 mins, was great craic altogether!. Felt like winter at the time!

103k on a windy day with 26k avg. don't have a gain figure due to a dodgy phone
    It was my first longer spin on the bike in 3 weeks due to work commitments and I felt it today. It's amazing how much you lose when not getting the miles in.

One more week off the bike due to work and then have a busy August and even busier September planned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Kings Mountain 200 as a permanent. Headwind all the way out to Oldcastle but had it on my back for the second half. Spent most of the day being dumped on with heavy rain. Well out of shape and found it really tough compared to earlier in the year.
    229kms door to door.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/356769160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

happyhappy wrote: »
    Greystones, Johnny foxes, up featherbeds and over Sally gap to laragh, back via roundwood and kilmac.

Got lashed out of it at near glenmacnass waterfall by sideways rain for 20 mins, was great craic altogether!. Felt like winter at the time!

103k on a windy day with 26k avg. don't have a gain figure due to a dodgy phone
    It was my first longer spin on the bike in 3 weeks due to work commitments and I felt it today. It's amazing how much you lose when not getting the miles in.

One more week off the bike due to work and then have a busy August and even busier September planned!
    Must try that route sometime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Up stocking lane to the Gap and home via Manor Kilbride, first decent cycle in a few weeks, felt good tho.
    Averaged 25.3kmph, just under 60k.
    Enjoyable except for when coming down from the Gap towards Manor Kilbride, that first 2 or 3 km that's very fast, some little **** coming the other way in what looked like a Suzuki Swift, opened the rear passenger door towards me! ****ing wanker could have caused a serious accident. Not sure if it was an attempt at a joke or to scare me or a genuine attempt to knock me of, but either way, what a total scumbag.
    Looked to have a yellow reg as a looked back over my shoulder.
    No harm done as I didn't panic. I drive a very powerful motorbike so I think that makes me a much better cyclist in terms of looking after myself.
    Be careful out there lads, some right nutters around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

Got another 70km or so out and about around Scotland today. Much nicer weather than Monday but still very windy. Managed over 1000m of climbing and did two good climbs. One was 2.6km at 9% average. The end of the descent from this was very steep with some very sharp almost 90 degree turns. Was glad to get down safely. Other climb was nothing so steep and was 5.3km at 5.6%. Big long descent from that then for about 20km or so which was a nice way to finish the spin.

http://app.strava.com/activities/356766983

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

terrydel, maybe it'd be an idea to tell the Gardaí and make sure to get an incident number; and to ask to have it logged with the recent Facebook post.

Must try that route sometime!

All the climbing is in the first half with plenty of options from laragh to add to it and still get back to the stones in one piece!!

terrydel wrote: »
    Up stocking lane to the Gap and home via Manor Kilbride, first decent cycle in a few weeks, felt good tho.
    Averaged 25.3kmph, just under 60k.
    Enjoyable except for when coming down from the Gap towards Manor Kilbride, that first 2 or 3 km that's very fast, some little **** coming the other way in what looked like a Suzuki Swift, opened the rear passenger door towards me! ****ing wanker could have caused a serious accident. Not sure if it was an attempt at a joke or to scare me or a genuine attempt to knock me of, but either way, what a total scumbag.
    Looked to have a yellow reg as a looked back over my shoulder.
    No harm done as I didn't panic. I drive a very powerful motorbike so I think that makes me a much better cyclist in terms of looking after myself.
    Be careful out there lads, some right nutters around.

Was it the Seat Leon that is featuring on other threads here and motorbike forum?? The shop staff in laragh were talking about that car today and it is even in one of the local papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Headed off from home on DNS this morning and met up with Tom, my guide to all things Wicklow in Roundwood. Ended up doing an interesting loop through Laragh, Glenmalure, left at Brown Hill, Ballinaclash, Rathdrum and back to Roundwood for a late lunch at Sugar Mountain before heading home. No major climbs other than the Long Hill and Shay Elliot but plenty of short sharp sections including a 15% somewhere near Greenan. 133k and 1885m in 5:26' with an average of 24.5kph. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/849342999

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Biggest ride to date done this morning in and around the Cuilcagh Mtns. 66.5km with 933m gain with a cat 3 and 2 climb which have been a massive jump in the climbs im used to which are only 1 to 4 km long . Would have been delighted with a tad of a higher average speed but alot of the roads were recently resurfaced including the 2 big descents and the top of the last big climb which I was annoyed to see. Still happy with getting over 20kph average. Might seem like a very slow speed for some but was great for me over this terrain.

https://www.strava.com/activities/357250555

Some pics

mzQUHc.jpg

tzGZPH.jpg

T8FD2S.jpg

uW5bQs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Biggest ride to date done this morning in and around the Cuilcagh Mtns. 66.5km with 933m gain with a cat 3 and 2 climb which have been a massive jump in the climbs im used to which are only 1 to 4 km long . Would have been delighted with a tad of a higher average speed but alot of the roads were recently resurfaced including the 2 big descents and the top of the last big climb which I was annoyed to see. Still happy with getting over 20kph average. Might seem like a very slow speed for some but was great for me over this terrain.

https://www.strava.com/activities/357250555

Some pics

mzQUHc.jpg

tzGZPH.jpg

T8FD2S.jpg

uW5bQs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

happyhappy wrote: »
    Was it the Seat Leon that is featuring on other threads here and motorbike forum?? The shop staff in laragh were talking about that car today and it is even in one of the local papers.

It wasn't no. I'm a biker myself so well aware of that story, crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've been commuting on my Fuji hybrid for the last few months, but borrowed my brothers Wilier road bike and cycled into work today. Been keen to consider the step up and this was my first time on a "racer" since the 80's.

Without even trying (except to figure out the gears and to stay upright) I smashed my fastest average speed and equaled two strava PRs without even getting out of the saddle.

The rider may be the real factor in a carbon v alu road bike fight, but it seems there's no place for hybrids in the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

143km after work today
    Inchicore, chapelizard ,clonee ,dunboyne ,summerhill ,kinnegad Edenderry celbridge and home to tallaght
    Soaked to the bone don't think it stop raining the whole time I was out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Few slow miles today before the Prudential Ride 100 tomorrow. Excited!

Have any boardsies made the trip over to London to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Had plans to leave the house before 0700 and blow off worky stuff until tomorrow.

Mrs RS broke my iron discipline however, and I ended up having to go into work anyway.

Escaped at 13:30 and decided to change things up a bit by going left at the first bridge on Cruagh and into the M.C. Escher nightmare that is the space between Glencullen and Enniskerry. (Trying out new DhB Carbon soled shoes so had a brief stop in Edmonstown to adjust cleats a bit).

I'm man enough to admit that when I came to the ridiculously sharp and droppy bend on Barrack road I wasn't man enough to take it, I walked around the corner shamelessly.

Got a missed call from work on the way through Glencree and eventually gave in and rang ze boss while stopped at Sallygap Carpark, got chatting to a chap out training for the Sean Kelly and on his way home before taking off again and trundling up the last kicker on the gap to chat briefly with a Sportive/rain fanatic who was about to inflict Kippure on himself for the first time.

I commented how I'd taken my armwarmers off at the start of the spin but it was about time to put them back on just before he turned off.

This was when I learned that I had lost my good Endura armwarmers... :(

A small bird raced me a bit on the way down to Laragh and a pair of suicide sheep caused me to jam on right after the waterfall (Seriously lads, you were both painted to the walls, why both dive into the centre of the road).

Got to Laragh in time for the Hippy Cafe to apologetically inform me that I'd missed food & coffee hours...nards...contemplated the food in the minimarket but was in a fit of pique at that point and stormed on to the other gap, as usual I was horribly slow getting up the Wicklow gap but managed non stop to the top at least.

My descent was somewhat spoiled by the ****ty road resurfacing hijinks so I missed out on a better top speed and got to the end of the chippings with my neck and shoulders in a jocker which I never fully shook off.

Took a left before Blessington into the wilds of Kildare and stopped in Maynooth for a service station sandwhich and more water. Trundled back to Leixlip before my GPS decided it hadn't been fully charged after all and zapped itself.

Crawled in the door at 21:30 - got text message to go and fix something at work. Yay.

Also the DhB ASV professional bibs get a thumbs down from me for anything over 50k.

In two parts due to GPS battery lols.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/359004314
    https://www.strava.com/activities/358999938

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I've been doing a particular loop in Nort Wickla lately that's just shy of 50km. Plenty of variety, bit of climbing (allowing time to practise my Contador dance:rolleyes:) and a few techincal bits so naturally I'm delighted that I'm managing it at an average of of 30-31kmh. Did a bit of calculating last night and reckoned if I did it today I'd have covered 1000km in the last two months (including a fortnight's break when on holidays). Hopped off on my merry way this morning and plugged in the old 510 on my return......986km.

Moral of the story? Always do your calculations when you're sober!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Headed up Stocking Lane and Kippure today to see if my couple of big climbs on holidays would help me tame the mountain. Nope.
    Went too hard up Stocking Lane right at the start and spent most of the climb try to get back into my rhythm.
    Then Kippure.
    It was as if she was expecting me.
    It was fking horrible up there, possibly the worst it's been for me and I'm daft enough to have gone up there in rough enough conditions. Crosswinds trying to drive me over the barriers, rain and the cloud was as thick as can be, glasses completely fogged up.... I need my fking head examined.

Came back down quite chastised.
    Headed over to Ticknock afterwards and suffered up that too. I actually think I need a proper bike fit done as my lower back and knees were a bit tender by the time I'd finished, whereas I was pain free after my spins on the rental bike on holidays.

Uploaded to strava and I'm 50m short of completing the Giro climbing change. I'm chuffed to have climbed 9950m in less than a month, it's more than twice what I've ever done before, but annoyed that I didn't crack the 10,000 on this spin. I'll have to go out for a ramble later if I'm let.
    70 km with 1390 climbing.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/359444058

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

116 km with 1300m of climbing in windy windy conditions. Last 10k home on my own was a struggle, legs sore now. Couple of hairy descents today , wind ,rain, cow ****e and 90+kg makes for interesting descending....

Did I mention it was windy 😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

havent done anything over 20km since the baby arrived last july :eek:

So went out this morning to howth in full lime green regalia, had a headwind all the way and climbed the long way up the hill

Arms and shoulders suffered a bit on the way home but ultimately it was pretty much my fastest ever trip to howth which was surprising given lack of cycling and erm moderate weight gain :o

56km, 500m, off this week so will be out 2/3 more times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

We're in the process of setting up a new club over here in Kendal. I spent a while looking around when I first moved over from Dublin but couldn't find anything that appealed to me or that was at racing. The club is something that appeals to everyone. I'd been to a good few of the meetings but it was my first spin out with some of the new potential members. I ended up on the back on Saturday just pacing people back up to the main group. It's different from what I normally try and do but it was definitely nice to not have to push on at any stage.

A mate and I brought the group back into Kendal after about 60km's and then headed off for another few km's at a faster pace. Ended up doing just over 100km.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/358701214

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Sarz91 wrote: »
    We're in the process of setting up a new club over here in Kendal. I spent a while looking around when I first moved over from Dublin but couldn't find anything that appealed to me or that was at racing. The club is something that appeals to everyone. I'd been to a good few of the meetings but it was my first spin out with some of the new potential members. I ended up on the back on Saturday just pacing people back up to the main group. It's different from what I normally try and do but it was definitely nice to not have to push on at any stage.

A mate and I brought the group back into Kendal after about 60km's and then headed off for another few km's at a faster pace. Ended up doing just over 100km.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/358701214

Lovely over there in the Lake District , never cycled there but plenty of rolling roads and climbs I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

shaka wrote: »
    Lovely over there in the Lake District , never cycled there but plenty of rolling roads and climbs I'd say

It's a bit more severe than Wicklow anyway. Takes a bit of getting used to. Everything seems to go straight up. Very few climbs without at least one section of 20%. Haven't seen a standard crank in a long time (I lie, my girlfriend picked me up one by mistake, had to pick up a 32 to even it out.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Cancelled spin as it was too wet and windy. Plan B did 3.5 hours on the turbo. Im gone insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Amprodude wrote: »
    Plan B did 3.5 hours on the turbo. Im gone insane.

Yes. Yes you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I'm man enough to admit that when I came to the ridiculously sharp and droppy bend on Barrack road I wasn't man enough to take it, I walked around the corner shamelessly....
    ...Better known as 'The Devil's Elbow' (...and the final climb on the Boards.ie Evil 200 ;)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

...Better known as 'The Devil's Elbow' (...and the final climb on the Boards.ie Evil 200 ;)).

Climbing wimp though I am I think I'd rather climb it than descend it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Was out yesterday, even though I didn't feel the best. Got a bit lost (again) but found roughly where I wanted to be. My roughness didn't improve so I cut it short - and got stung by a wasp that flew into my helmet on the way home

https://www.strava.com/activities/359288728

Then had to hit the pool with the kids and visitors so no room in the car for me so took the bike

https://www.strava.com/activities/359547864

fell asleep at the pool, and got a bit burnt.

Top day really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's a couple of months since I posted here as I've been off the bike thanks to a problem with one of my legs.

I managed a few spins on holiday in France last week including descending l'Alpe d'Huez. I had planned to climb it but that was off the cards due to my leg. I managed to get over 100km done in 4 spins which was way more than I had hoped for.

So, today, back home I decided 'fcuk it - I'm going out for a spin". I headed out the Embankment to Manor Kilbride and back. It felt great to be out on the road again and I'd say I was grinning like a cheshire cat the whole way. It was a struggle in places with my leg but I kept within my limits.

40km, 283m at a slow but comfortable 21km/h.

Now I need to figure out a way to go under the radar at work at get out for another spin some evening this week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

Out today for just shy of 60km. In hindsight it was a pretty stupid idea to go out in that wind but I'm back home in one piece and managed to stay on the bike!

Went out to the Windy Gap from Castlebar and turned around and climbed it from the steep side. The spin back into C'Bar was so bloody hard into the wind. Thought I'd never make it back. Got a bit too hairy for my liking at times. The traffic in fairness was accommodating and gave me plenty of room for the most part.

Castlebar home then was no better and the wind seemed to have gotten a lot stronger from when I set out. Got off the main road and relaxed a bit when I did. Up and over a nice little climb and in home safely.

Did over 1000m of climbing in the 60km.

https://www.strava.com/activities/360326814

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement