Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Bloggsie wrote: »
    changed my home commute spin last nite, turned off porterstown road & down rugged lane(what a state that is in, pot holes & cracks every where) then along the lower road & up mount joseph towards fort lucan, suprised by my speed up it (15.1 kph) 30.04 kms in 1hr 18. a strong head wing home has my legs feeling tender today.

So Rugged lane was rugged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

So Rugged lane was rugged?
    no, it is effin rugged!
    didnt help that i had a car up my jacksie for most of the way down it, he must have thought that by reving the engine right behind me that I would go faster, got to the bottom & turned, he turned an overtook me in a 03D micra, my bike is worth more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Short spin. Gatorskins failed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Had my touring bike loaded up in the car for a weekend in Kerry, hoping to get a fair whack of the Ring in, just had to finish off some jobs in town so took my CX bike. On the way home in the rain, two tourists stepped out in front of my turning path while looking straight at me, ended up locking the brakes, losing balance and sliding down the street on my side, but thankfully avoided them.

Left hand and leg is pretty messed up. Won't be holding a handlebar for a few days. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

Out to howth from chapelizod and back. My last decision before leaving was to take the rain jacket out of my back pocket, I wont need it. Bad idea, where did that shower come from as I hit the quays?

Got beeped at just before the set of temporary stop/go lights at St Annes park going towards Howth. I was in the middle of the road as the on-road cycle lane was in a terrible state. I politely explained to the guy why I was cycling where I was and that it was only for a short distance. He informed me that cyclists aren't allowed use that stretch of road while the roadworks are being carried out, that there was a sign back there. Needless to say I saw no sign. Any truth to what he said, it sounds mental but that doesnt mean the council wouldnt implement it.

Getting up Howth hill quicker each time so that's all that really matters anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There is a sign informing that the cycle path is closed. It means that cyclists have to use the road, and even if it wasn't there, they are still entitled to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

Thats what i was thinking alright. Saw the cycle lane closed sign on the way home and had an "ahhh, thats the sign he saw" moment. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I cycle that way every day - there's a sign saying the bike lane is closed. Driver sounds like a bit of a gobsh!te. There's another asking motorists to watch for merging cyclists ; don't know where from to be honest. I find the guys operating the stop/go very helpful to cyclists.

is it only me who thinks the go sign should read "Allez! Allez! "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

On a happier note I heading towards Baldoyle from Portmarnock approaching the small roundabout about 300m from the church. Three roads join the roundabout. It's basically a tee-junction with the roundabout dropped onto the middle of it. A bus is coming the opposite direction to me and reaches the roundabout before me - the bus is signalling right, intending to turn back the way he came.

Fair play to the bus driver he slows and stops on the roundabout, prepared to yield the road to me even though he has right of way. It is good to see road users thinking safety rather than "I have the right of way so it's ok if I hurt you"

More of this kind of thing.

I have plenty of time to stop and wave him along. He's happy, I'm happy - good start to the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

On a happier note I heading towards Baldoyle from Portmarnock approaching the small roundabout about 300m from the church. Three roads join the roundabout. It's basically a tee-junction with the roundabout dropped onto the middle of it. A bus is coming the opposite direction to me and reaches the roundabout before me - the bus is signalling right, intending to turn back the way he came.

Fair play to the bus driver he slows and stops on the roundabout, prepared to yield the road to me even though he has right of way. It is good to see road users thinking safety rather than "I have the right of way so it's ok if I hurt you"

More of this kind of thing.

I have plenty of time to stop and wave him along. He's happy, I'm happy - good start to the day

I remember reading here once, something along the lines of "Why should I thank people for allowing me to do what is my right?" In relation to having the right of way as a cyclist.

Because it's not the worst thing in the world to give a car etc driver a thumbs ups or whatever, for being nice.

There have been plenty of times where a car etc driver could have made their maneuver and not impeded me but they didn't and showed patience to let me on my way.

I always try and say thanks in some small way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I remember reading here once, something along the lines of "Why should I thank people for allowing me to do what is my right?" In relation to having the right of way as a cyclist.

Because it's not the worst thing in the world to give a car etc driver a thumbs ups or whatever, for being nice.

There have been plenty of times where a car etc driver could have made their maneuver and not impeded me but they didn't and showed patience to let me on my way.

I kinda see where you're coming from generally but it does irritate me a little when making a right turn on a yellow box junction and the motorist coming the opposite way makes that irritable "come on, come on" hand gesture as if they are doing me a favour. They are obliged to allow right turns as it is the whole purpose of the box junction.

(PS in NMG's scenario, I'd say the bus driver stopped due to experience of knowing that 99% of vehicles entering that roundabout from the Baldoyle side take the 1st or 2nd exit and he knew that the cyclist or any other driver coming from the Portmarnock direction would not have been expecting him to continue back to Baldoyle. I've used that roundabout countless times and have never experienced it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Getting a bit tired of those non tiring long distance club spins.

Cut from the group for the time being and going solo. Want to keep the heart rate up and really work myself.

Did a nice 50k this evening and it's the first time I'm properly wrecked in ages!

Good feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

. I find the guys operating the stop/go very helpful to cyclists.

is it only me who thinks the go sign should read "Allez! Allez! "

Found them the exact same, on a couple of occasions they told me exactly when they were going to change the signal and what car would be last, helped me get going before the traffic and get half way through the roadworks before cars were back up my a€&se

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Today I headed towards northwest and went to Navan and Trim from Dublin. Nice flat roads with good hard shoulders and moderate to low traffic. Took a coffee stop at Tara Hill among 10+ other cyclists enjoying the weather today. Side note: chocolate muffins are definitely worth the try there.

Morning was superb with sun and no wind, but as usual that didn't last and the way home was battle against heavy headwind :pac:

https://www.strava.com/activities/364201693

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

70kms this morning. Greystones out the n11 to Enniskerry and on up to Glencree. From there up to the mast on Kippure. Somehow took 12 mins off my previous best time from Enniskerry to the mast! Also managed the whole way without stopping so very happy with that.

From there I headed out to Sally Gap and then up by the Pier Gates. Down into Kilmacanoge and home to Greystones. Absolutely beautiful morning and the first time in ages I didn't need arm warmers.

https://www.strava.com/activities/363988668

Had a quick shower when I got home and then another spin with my wife and daughter down to Ashford for coffee and playground and home again. 35kms so 105 for the day. Happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I kinda see where you're coming from generally but it does irritate me a little when making a right turn on a yellow box junction and the motorist coming the opposite way makes that irritable "come on, come on" hand gesture as if they are doing me a favour. They are obliged to allow right turns as it is the whole purpose of the box junction.

This is one of the things that really bugs me. Some of the most dangerous situations I have been put in as a cyclist have been where a driver on my side is being polite to a driver crossing the road from te opposite lane while I am coming down the bike lane. I'm all for being polite but if everyone does what is expected on the road it's safer for all of us.

Back OT, drank too much last night so did the short option of a sportive today, lesson learned that Meath is super flat after being told the hard bit was over when I hadn't even moved out of the big ring...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Took the Grand canal from town out past Digby's bridge and back for a leisurely 85k hangover cure over about 5 hours. A bit of a grind into the wind on the way out, but a much appreciated tail wind on the way back. Great mix of people out there today, from kids swimming and racing ponies, anglers, cyclists, walkers and kayakers, not to mention more swans than you could shake a stick at, herons, rabbits and quite a few rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did the Meath Summer Classic today, only did the 60km, I have some kind of chest infection.

Not too bad today couldn't get everything out of myself and with the wind could only average 31kmph. Completed it solo as I find in the smaller distances the group is not as experienced.

https://www.strava.com/activities/364054064

Regardless of having done the Tour of Meath thing 100 a couple of weeks ago and the Tour of Kilkenny 110 last weekend, my cycling has suffered a lot due to illness and work over the last few weeks. I haven't been able to get out in the mornings at all.

I miss my morning hill spins :(

Managed to get out this morning after a struggle to do a couple of laps of the reservoirs near me. 650m climbing with 36 km done.

Very tempted to do the Tour Of Kildare in the morning but I am not sure that
    "Go and do your cycle, it's not like you haven't abandoned me for the weekend before for cycling" is actually permission.

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

135km is tough windy conditions for the ring of North Kerry (RoNK) , averaged 26.7 . Very happy considering the conditions, last climb out of Tralee towards Abbeydorney nearly did me but made up for it on the downhill and flat.

Well done to Finuge CC on a tough but enjoyable event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Very tempted to do the Tour Of Kildare in the morning but I am not sure that
    "Go and do your cycle, it's not like you haven't abandoned me for the weekend before for cycling" is actually permission.

Just wait till you begin Audax! You're mooching around the bedroom at 4am geting you stuff together and she says "Sure we'll go out tonight for a change - do what you want today but just make sure you're home by 8pm".

After 300k and 13 hours in the pissing rain and wind, you're rightly set up for going out when you get home! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

second this positive reinforcement works, likely they will go out of there way to do that again next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

Love it!!! It's not just in my house so!

Conversation when I turned up in the living room the last evening with my new yellow Gabba 2 ready for a quick evening spin...

"What's this?"
    "My new jersey/jacket thing"
    "Christ, they'd see you on the fcukin moon"
    "It's bright enough alright I suppose"
    "How much did it cost? It better not have cost more than €100. "
    " Ya, it was more than €100"
    "Oh sweet Jesus. It's a bloody jersey. €100?? Are you serious?"
    "Well it was a little bit more. It's not just a jersey you see........."
    "I don't want to know....I just do not want to know......."
    "Right so, I'll am, just go for a quick spin so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

G1032 wrote: »

Conversation when I turned up in the living room the last evening with my new yellow Gabba 2 ready for a quick evening spin...

"What's this?"

And that is why you get gear posted to work, or a friends house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Had a big ride planned - 135K - as herself and the kids are away. Got up and out early, but after 25K, just slogging up a long drag I start to hear a strange ping noise. Then my garmin tells me I missed a turn, I go back 50m to a gravel track that is a bit steeper than the hill I'm already on, push off and the rear mech mangles itself into the rear wheel!! I decide to turn back. The rear wheel is so buckled that even with the rear brake opened, it is still rubbing every turn. I managed to cobble it to stay in one gear in the middle of the block, so I've 2 gears to get home on. I've to go back through the city (Zurich) which isn't great at the best of times. Summer is roadwork season and everywhere seems to be dug up, so it's a struggle to find my way. Quickest way is towards the zoo, but thats also a big hill. I manage about 2/3 of the way up before unconsciously going for a lower gear. Ooops. Now the rear mech totally gives up and is back in the rear wheel again. Now the whole thing has snapped, but still holding the chain sort of in line. The hanger is ok so its all kinda good. After walking up the hill, I can sit and coast down the hill and sort of ride on the flat (lots of skipping and clicking of the chain).
    Back home now enjoying a cold beer and peace n quiet. Might take the mudguards off the commuting bike and try again tomorrow. Time to shop for new parts as well...

https://www.strava.com/activities/364801935/segments/8707163686

I decided to err on the side of caution and didn't do the TDK today.
    I'm a slow learner but I try. If only all me ex girly friends could see how far I have come on :D

Which isn't a lot infairness :/

Did a 17 km warm up from Firhouse over to Dundrum and back and then hit the Hills. Stocking lane to the Mount Venus turn off and then over to Mutton Hill and Tibradden Hill. Who do I speak to about getting that changed to Tibradden Mountain? There is quite a few stretches of 13% on that fuppin' "hill" Some cracking views to be had though.

Went back down and stopped at http://www.thehazelhouse.ie/ cafe for a coffee but they broke their coffee machine so I had a tea instead.
    Downhill and then back up Stocking Lane to turn off at Gunny hill and decided to fit in the Hill up to the Orlagh Retreat. Another little toughie!

37.5km done with 607m of climbing. Few more of those spins this week and I'll be ready for the weekend.
    manafana wrote: »
    second this positive reinforcement works, likely they will go out of there way to do that again next time

For full disclosure... this is me, bar the insecure bit at the end. http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/06/24/culchie-living-in-dublin-still-finds-himself-saying-hello-to-passing-strangers/ :(

Now I just have to wait for the missus to get up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

G1032 wrote: »

"What's this?"

Did you show her the scorpion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne-Kilbride-Ashbourne-Ratoath-Blanchardstown-Dunboyne.

50k With a hangover, Settle in now for The Liverpool game with a beer.

and as usual wind in my face at every turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

not yet wrote: »
    Dunboyne-Kilbride-Ashbourne-Ratoath-Blanchardstown-Dunboyne.

50k With a hangover, Settle in now for The Liverpool game with a beer.

and as usual wind in my face at every turn.

C'mon Stoke !! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Tour of Kildare 110km avg 28kph

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement