Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

60k taking in Gallows hill on the clare/limerick border twice, tuff enough but stayed dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

ford2600 wrote: »
    Did you show her the scorpion?

Lol. That was probably half the problem! She saw the scorpion on arm warmers I got a while ago. She simply said "Those weren't cheap". I decided a grunt was the best reply!

Was out today with boardsie 12element. We got a punishment passing from a fuel tanker (one of those long tankers that delivers fuel to the petrol stations). We were both kind of a bit shook after it. In the few seconds that it took to pass us (we were in single file) I thought I was going be hit / dragged under it.
    Other than that we had a nasty head wind for a long portion of the ride. Very enjoyable nonetheless. Picked up a couple of unexpected strava top 5's. Didn't even know the segments existed. Happy days!

84km done. 28.6km/hr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Tour of kildare this morning. Registered for 110k and set off on that route but after hill of Allen i hit 60k mark and the body was already screaming at me. Peeled off onto the 65k route and limped home for a total of 80k. Furious with myself. Mind you i probably should have done something on the bike since last may before trying for 110!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Tour of Kildare today , got in with a good group from the start , at the first food stop at about 45km in we averaged 36kmph on the button .
    I missed them on the way out and waited for a few of my other mates to come in , they werent feeling it in their legs so i ended up doing the remainder solo as couldn't find another group to settle with .
    Total for the day

Spin down to naas 26.6km at 25.7kmph avg

Tour of kildare 110km at 31.3kmph avg

Spin home 25.8 km at 32kmph avg

Pretty tired now.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

Dromara Hilly 125km today. Oh boy, tough one. I think there was around 2500m of climbing for the 125km. Took in the big climbs in county Down, including Dree Hill, Windy Gap and Spelga. Weather wise turned out great and the event itself was really well organised. Beautiful countryside but just to hilly for a Clyde like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

40km spin out to loosen the legs after the ronk yesterday , felt fine. Didn't push hard just a bit of recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

Dromara Hilly 125km today. Oh boy, tough one. I think there was around 2500m of climbing for the 125km. Took in the big climbs in county Down, including Dree Hill, Windy Gap and Spelga. Weather wise turned out great and the event itself was really well organised. Beautiful countryside but just to hilly for a Clyde like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I broke my arm 2 weeks ago. So I am commuting by Luas instead of by bike. I wish I could talk about my cycle today, I miss it :(

Also i got myself a new road bike at the end of June, had one short spin on it before going abroad on holidays, then broke my arm shortly before returning. Was really looking forward to getting out on the bike.

Anyway, not trying to moan really, more to remind myself how bloody great cycling is and looking forward to getting back in the saddle in a few weeks.

Could be worse, my brother in law came off his bike last week and broke his elbow, he was due to do the Dublin iron man this weekend and is gutted to have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

Not today but……

Headed up to Sally Gap on Sat for the first time in too long (pesky kids and summer things getting in the way!)

Went up via Kilternan and R116 to Glencullen instead of my usual route via Ballyboden Rd -> Edmonstown Road -> Cruagh Woods.

I found the that route via Kilternan a lot easier than the other one – normally I’d be puking up a lung by The Merry Ploughboy but by the time I’d got to Johnny Foxes (ya can’t beat pubs as landmarks) I was grand. Nice bit of decent from past Foxes to where the two routes meet (R116 hits Cruagh Rd)

And Sat morning was an absolutely stunning morning for a spin.
    Lough Tay never ceases to take my breath away (what's left of it by the time i get up there!)
    Us Dublin dwellers are absolutely blessed to have those hills/mountains on our doorsteps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Decided to get out today after yesterdays disaster, and make the most of no child minding as everyone is away. Chucked a route onto the garmin that I'd made a while ago, without really checking it. Hilly would be an understatement. One long drag up of almost 10K, on pristine new tarmac had me really looking forward to the descent, however, this is where I should have looked more closely at the route. The descent was off road. a decent enough track to start, but then it turned to gravel, then stuff I'd love on my MTB. At this point I was fully on the brakes and trying hard to stay upright and descending slower than I climbed!! Then I got a flat so had to walk/scramble/slip the rest of the way (thats the section with 0 cadence...) Fixed the tyre and set off again, back on a road.
    I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with my Garmin, but I can't get turn by turn directions from a route I've input with Garmin connect. I have my home in the unit, so after the flat, I decided to just navigate back home, and hey presto, turn by turn directions came up. I set this to on at the start, and got one white arrow as I started off (it also said, 'nearing end point') and didn't get any further turn directions. I just followed the pink line of my route.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/860979372

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

G1032 wrote: »
    We got a punishment passing from a fuel tanker (one of those long tankers that delivers fuel to the petrol stations). We were both kind of a bit shook after it. In the few seconds that it took to pass us (we were in single file) I thought I was going be hit / dragged under it.
    No helmetcam? If you got a company name, location and approx time, it is worth reporting this to the company, so that hopefully they have a word before he kills someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Was cycling up Sallys Gap rather slowly earlier this morning. I looked over my shoulder and realised there was hundreds of flies hovering over me and landing on my back. They must of been attracted to the sweat.

Decided to speed up to get rid of them. Did a quick burst and got rid of them, but they caught up with me. Did another burst and they caught up with me again. This game continued for a few hundred meters until I ran out of bursts.

I was struggling towards the top, just as a coach load of tourists got off their bus at the top viewing point. I tried to put on a brave face as I struggled around the last corner and out of their sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Bit of a weird one today. Had planned on going up by Bohernabreena/Ballinascorney and down by Mount Seskin. Got halfway up only to find that the road to Ballinascorney will be closed for the next week due to roadworks. Came back down and took a right turn off towards Friarstown, hoping to join up with the military road. There is a nasty, nasty looking climb along that road. just checked it now, 2.5km at 6% average, with bits kicking up to 12%. It doesn't sound too bad, but i just didn't feel it today. Anyway, ended up on a meandering, enjoyable ride that didn't really go anywhere in particular. 36km, 1 hr 45, 380m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

61kms this evening Greystones out to Enniskerry then Stepaside. From there on up to the masts on Three Rock. Back home the same way. Found it very warm on Three Rock and the ****ing flies didn't help!

https://www.strava.com/activities/366695957/overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Had a great cycle in the Phoenix Park after work this evening.

Lots of people out making the most of the nice weather doing laps.

Fun watching everyone flying around the park on the Strava Flyby app.

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#366748128,XdzaFXs23BXwndsV3n7bFT5F2xW8o9oVE3nbFWzj2hWjMdwVbGzcFRrN3BXb2doV/BXbFUes2hU6GdsVg9TaFZEX2xU=

https://www.strava.com/activities/366748128

I know it was only 41.9km but it now makes my overall total done on the new bike (got Sept 2014) to over 1,000 km's .:D

This is from someone who had not been on a bike in 20 years but is now ready for the next few targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

G1032 wrote: »
    We got a punishment passing from a fuel tanker (one of those long tankers that delivers fuel to the petrol stations)

Similar happened to me recently. Unfortunately for the driver of the marked artic he didn't notice the Roam2 strapped to my helmet. In a further case of misfortune for him and due to the diligence of a local Garda (via Traffic Watch) he was hit with a fine and now has a few extra points on his licence.

Did my (latest) usual 45km loop today in a new record 30.9kmh average. First time out since I got the all clear from a CT scan last Saturday (always get them lumps and bumps checked early) so maybe it was a "good form" ride.

As regards the flies on Sally Gap:

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/07/22/****in-flying-ants-everywhere/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just back from a slightly extended lunch time spin up to the sallygap from Rathfarnham. Beautiful out, but as with the previous post I'd seriously recommend some insect repellent if you're planning on hitting the hills today. Modest pace for 42k in 2 hours, but pleased enough to be getting back into the hills again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Just back a while from a pleasant afternoon spin. As some of you might know I've only been on a road bike for the past week and a bit so just really spinning the legs right now as I get comfortable and gradually increase the amount of vertical meters Im doing.

Was the first time I ventured out in the evening and probably not the best time with work traffic on the roads, its probably no coincidence that I also then encountered my first driver related bike issue when some dipsh1t pulled out of a turn straight across the road and cut me off. Only for the fact I bunny hopped up over the kerb the muppet would have side swiped me off the road.

Not even the courtesy to apologise for it as he just sped off. So lesson learnt for me anyway. Another first was my first little "cycling injury" dropped the chain and ended up somehow slicing my thigh as I unclipped :blushes: :)

All in all though beautiful weather for a cycle plus my arse is getting used to the saddle too not even a hint of soreness this evening lol, the distance gradually increasing and my average speed and climbing meters also increasing each spin :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/367368123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Only recently got a new bike to replace one stolen from me in April, and have stuck to doing laps in Phoenix park rather than any serious ramps. Decided to take it up the wicklow last wk and died a death up cruagh woods, stopped a couple of times and only got as far as the zip line before turning back as I grossly overestimated how long it would take me and was already running late to be back home. Nevertheless, gave it another go today.

http://www.strava.com/activities/367882244/

Managed to get up and over into Glencullen without dropping the foot. Halfway up the climb was looking for a lower gear that wasn't there but was somehow able to grind it out to the bridge before the junction for some respite, and took it handy in the saddle from there.
    It's a gorgeous morning out there....didn't meet one cyclist between a commuter passing under the m50 before I started til another ahead of me coming round marley park on the way back down.

retalivity wrote: »
    Halfway up the climb was looking for a lower gear that wasn't there but was somehow able to grind it out to the bridge

What's your lowest gear? A new cassette might save you a bit of pain and be kinder to your knees in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Out for a social spin last night. Ended up doing about 20k more than I'd planned and finishing in the dark. Coming down a country road with a front light that the battery was weakening on brought down the average speed a little. Only second time on the bike since June due to holidays so was a well needed spin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/367602708

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

lunch spin up cruagh and back down through bohernabreena. perfect conditions and couldn't have done the climb any better. a KOM and a few top 10's which will go down as my best climbing spin yet. very happy with where i am fitness wise at the moment. i knew when i got to the top and seen i had 3-4 gears left i was sure i had done a good time.
    when i got back i checked my results the KOM and top 10's were in the hidden results along with 30 other results so i had to unhide them and refresh my results. happened yesterday to me with a KOM as well so be aware of this.
    also beware first part of the descent is awful, gravel and horse **** everywhere.

https://www.strava.com/activities/367933828/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

my mormal commute spin in this morning. I noticed that I am becoming a cranky old duffer, for the last few mornings the number of people jogging/walking on the cycle path in the park has really started to get on my thruppenny bits, I passed 2joggers this morning & they were annoyed that I asked them to move over!
    Aside from that what a cracking morning for a 30km spin.

lunch spin up cruagh and back down through bohernabreena. perfect conditions and couldn't have done the climb any better. a KOM and a few top 10's which will go down as my best climbing spin yet. very happy with where i am fitness wise at the moment. i knew when i got to the top and seen i had 3-4 gears left i was sure i had done a good time.
    when i got back i checked my results the KOM and top 10's were in the hidden results along with 30 other results so i had to unhide them and refresh my results. happened yesterday to me with a KOM as well so be aware of this.
    also beware first part of the descent is awful, gravel and horse **** everywhere.

https://www.strava.com/activities/367933828/overview

Makes for a lovely spin in the other direction, as you have the rough climb up Glassamucky followed by a decent descent either via Cruagh or Stocking lane. Fair play on that average speed for that terrain, I'd be waaay slower and search for extra gears rather than looking at them,

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Did kippure for the first time today. What a day for it too. Was little or no wind at the too which has to be very rare.

The last part of the climb was tough, the little bit hidden around the corner nearly killed me because I thought it flattened there but there was another 300 metres of road to the top! The view was worth it.

66km 1176m climbing and 24.1 average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

50 k with the club last night, felt bad after ronk on Saturday but kept with the fast group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

happyhappy wrote: »
    Did kippure for the first time today. What a day for it too. Was little or no wind at the too which has to be very rare.

The last part of the climb was tough, the little bit hidden around the corner nearly killed me because I thought it flattened there but there was another 300 metres of road to the top! The view was worth it.

66km 1176m climbing and 24.1 average

That bit is arguably the toughest bit I reckon! The fooking flies up there today where unreal, hate the little bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

100k ish, up stocking lane to Sally Gap and onto Laragh, back home via Wicklow Gap-Valleymount-N81-Blessington, down past Corcaigh Park for home.
    Poxy speedo gave up (again, getting well sick of it) right at Sally Gap, so missed the 19km to Laragh in which I was flying, with a nice tailwind. Also didn't register probably 4-5km of Wicklow Gap, then came back to me. Finished with 79km at 24.3kmph avg, kinda gutted as I reckon I'd have been well above 25kmph given the speed I did from the Gap to Laragh, even with the missed km's on Wicklow Gap, bringing it back down. I think I'd have had 26kmph avg maybe, which wudda been great over that route and in that heat.
    Fook was it hot coming over Wicklow Gap! Sweat was hammering down off me, stopped at the top to clean glasses, get sun cream out of my eyes.
    Lovely cycle apart from my back giving me gip for the last 30km or so, I think I need to go get a bit of work on it, loosen it up a bit maybe.
    Ah well it wont kill me, glorious day and would have been a sin not to make the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gave Priest's Leap (Cork side) a go this morning while on the way from West Cork to East Limerick. I'm still traumatised! Holy fcuk! :eek:

• Advertisement

Back up the sally gap yesterday evening though suffered as I'd missed lunch. Bike was creaking too, and got home to find the left crank loose and the seat had dropped by almost 3cm. I think tonight will be spent giving the bike a bit of much needed TLC rather than heading out again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement