Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

cracking spin home yesterday, to the guy on the trek going up the quays last nite with half a dozen eggs in each pocket of your shorts(combats style shorts) you were 100% correct to have a go at the numpty who pulled out of the petrol station on the quays just in front of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

did 2 laps of Howth this morning before breakfast or even had anything to eat 25km in total. Normally do 1 lap on 14km spin and Im ok but by the 2nd time up the summit i was wasted. Free wheeled in a very cold wind down the hill through the village and slogged the rest of the way home. Still in bits now and jaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Thought I had plotted a good route out west from the Park yesterday but things came a bit unstuck beyond Kilcock. First heavy traffic on the R148 and then found myself back on the canal towpath for a few km. At least the long grass has been cut since last week but it seemed a lot bumpier. Quite roads again through Longwood before I decided to turn at Raharney and head back towards Trim via Ballivor.
    Annoyed to find the tar & chipping crew were in action on the R154 before Batterstown. This road had a great surface and was one of my favourites. How do County Councils decide resurfacing is needed?
    Back home through Damastown and Cappagh trying to push the average over the 27 mark. 145k and 26.7kph with very little climbing and great weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed to drag my sorry ass outta bed three early mornings this week. It's not easy dragging your ass outta bed at 5am :/ It's easier when there is a big beautiful sun out there :(

Total of 78.9 km for the week with 1334 meters of climbing and a lot of OOTS stuff done. OOTS being Out Of The Saddle.

I was in bits after the TDKK tbh.

More so than the WK200.

It occurred to me rightly or wrongly that it was more or less due to the fact that I usually do hills in the saddle bar those little "ramp" bits, like the end of the hill up Sally Gap.

I probably spent 30 minutes of a ten hour cycle out of the saddle on the W200 versus about 45 minutes of a 4 hour cycle with the TDKK

I came to a conclusion I was using a muscle group or configuration that i needed to work on. The state of me even thinking that!

Anyways, it "seems" to be working. I've been getting OOTS all over the shop and the body seems to be adjusting.

Hopefully the legs will be OK for the weekend.

Bit of a spin coming up that has me nervous! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Longest ever cycle today ,total of 230km after get lost a couple times went from tallaght to youghal via dunlavin Carlow waterford ,last couple 20 km were bit of a struggle as the legs were getting heavy ,first couple of hours rain the sun mixed weather all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

60km after work with 600m of climbing , legs still not right after last weekend

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

162km down to Athlone.

https://www.strava.com/activities/369367587

Into a head wind for 100km plus. Wasn't bad but just saps you.

Nice new route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

2 unexpected sat commutes about 40km
    then a quick pit stop for some pain au raisin and a coffee at home
    then change bike and off for 67km dunboyne summerhill enfield and home
    big difference btw the Cayo and the Canyon, gettin into the Cayo more than i thought

107Km in total
    https://www.strava.com/activities/369481918

godtabh wrote: »
    162km down to Athlone.

https://www.strava.com/activities/369367587

Into a head wind for 100km plus. Wasn't bad but just saps you.

Nice new route

you must have been feelin strong to tack on that extra bit rather than direct route

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

devonp wrote: »
    you must have been feelin strong to tack on that extra bit rather than direct route

Had to be in Athlone for 1. Gave me some one to play with. Got there early for a few browny points and got a good spin in too. Win win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Friday after work......70 km manor Kilbride, Sally gap, military road, Glencullen and home. Annoying spin...kept raining and then sunshine so spent half my time putting on and off my rain jacket.

Highlight of the spin was getting stung on the lip. Cycling along and got hit by a large insect in the mouth. Lip like a balloon now 2 days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

45km up to ballyboughal and home. Glorious morning, not a puff of wind on the way out and sea was like glass passing through portmarnock. Spotted a few big groups heading the opposite directionon on the way home. Furthest ive done in months and felt grand up to 40km when i could feel the legs starting to tire out. Slowly building back up to get 2 targets done by end of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First time up the Blooms today. It's gorgeous over there and the weather was perfect for a spin. I took the advice of Nilhg and parked in Clonaslee. Up The Cut first, not a bad climb at all. I was expecting worse so I left a bit in the tank and then the next thing I was at the top. I was talking to my mate yesterday who lives nearby and he told me drop in for a cuppa and maybe convince him to come out. So after going a bit astray I met him and had a nice cuppa and biscuits but he wouldn't join me for the spin.

I took a while to get going again afterwards. Headed up Glendine then after another minor wrong turn. No bother at all for about 3 km then the pain starts. It's a tough bitch, make no mistake about that. A few times I was down to slow walking pace and very near to taking a breather but I didn't. Maybe I should have, my knee has been niggling me at work all week and Glendine didn't do it any good.

I turned around at the top and descended back down, a hairy enough descent. I would not like that in the wet. Then I headed for Wolftrap but got a puncture just before the start so that held me up a bit again.
    Wolftrap wasn't that bad either. Very rampy though, no long even gradient. I could lie and say I had loads left in the tank for it but I think the 2 stoppages went against me as the legs were beginning to burn a bit and the knee was stopping me climbing out of the saddle.
    I continued on down to Kinnity, there's a few hundred yards at the start of the descent that shook the shíte out of me. Lost a bottle and actually thought I'd break my forks or frame with the rattling that went on. Then some beautiful smooth tarmac but I remembered the advice here about the moss in places and sure enough had a near one a minute later when I touched the brakes. If I'd been going faster I might have been in serious bother. It was a lovely smooth surface though, makes you wonder why the council can't do that on the rest of the roads.
    I had notions of doing Cappard but when I got into Kinnity I just turned and headed back towards Clonaslee. Got to the car, unclipped from the bike and buckled over with a cramp. First time in a while that I've got cramps, definitely a combination of dehydration and exertion.

Tl;Dr... Clonaslee, Blooms, The Cut, Glendine, Wolftrap, Kinnity, Clonaslee. 79.3 km with 1229m in 3:27@ 22.9kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/370306483/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Garthvader

Did 50km.... But happiest that I made it up to Glencullen from Kilternan, not cycling that long so hadn't made it up that hill yet without stopping.

We all have our challenges!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Leinster loop 130km 27.3 average. Class event, atmosphere in the groups was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Did my longest ever cycle today, a (meager by this forum!) 47k. 26 km/hr and just shy of a 1,000ft of climbing. Quads are tired now!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,208 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pconn062 wrote: »
    meager by this forum!
    We all started somewhere and your pace was pretty fast for you first time over that distance. You may be surprised at how quickly you can build the distance up (and if you are ever struggling it's easy when cycling just to slow down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Did the 130km Leinster Loop, lovely day for it, even got a decent chat with Stephen Roche! :)

Average speed - 34.4km/h
    Max speed - 94.7km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Leinster Loop 90km. Strava gave up after 52km but finished in about 2.38. Up to Tullow was 52.7kms at 32.3; going back up was downwind and quicker. Great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Zyzz wrote: »
    Max speed - 94.7km/h

😳I assume that wasn't when you had your chat with Stephen Roche...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Neleven wrote: »
    😳I assume that wasn't when you had your chat with Stephen Roche...

It was! Stephen wouldn't get off my tail like :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I went out today for my usuall training for hard way round on 29th August up ballagsheen and then around caragh lake in co Kerry . Today was a od day tho , my mate that was with me fell off his bike but was ok and I nearly came a cropper myself .

Then down the road a poor lady we only passed an hour before was in middle of road , she was in a bad way poor girl . She fell off bike going down a hill . So much blood , makes me sick just thinking about it. We put her into the ambulance and another feller took her and her husbands bikes to look after them .

I've always been a bit relaxed about helmets to be honest even tho I wear one now , never ever leaving house without one ever again .

I hope that lady's ok tonight x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Really had little energy cycling home after night shift this morning. Plus, it was only 12 degrees so had to dig out the tights and arm warmers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

it was only 12 degrees so had to dig out the tights and arm warmers

All the autumn gear you need is to push harder.

:pac:

Plus, it was only 12 degrees so had to dig out the tights and arm warmers...

an Irish summer spin..:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Short little cx spin this morning before work while the grass was still dewy. Started looking at hacking through the big mound in the field for some short sharp power burst climbs but then creamed myself (again!) when turning off a rut and the sidewall just rubbed off the side of the rut and I went down. Getting a nice collection of bruises from this cx malarky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed an "interesting" event yesterday. A sportive of sorts but with an unusual format or one that I am not used too?

It was a local GAA thing in Nordie land that was "90 Miles".

During all their training prior to the event people (local, it was quite local based) were put into teams, with a team leader, based on their abilities and as such every team was sent off on the morning at a set time, a bit like a TT?

Being based in Dublin I got put in a team based on hearsay! :(

I didn't mind the pace overall, it was fine but I was out of my comfort zone on the hills :/ but that's a whole other story.

Managed to knock out the 90 miles and a little extra to end up with 153km-Avg Speed of 27.5 + 1,171 m climbed. Average climbing speed = 23.4 which is about 10kmph faster than I usually climb!

Covered Tyrone, Armagh and Monaghan too.

BUT :D

Best of all my Dad did the 50 mile event and he, due to work and illness has only managed about 400km on the bike this year.

But he did it.

I'm very proud of him. Really proud of him. He was the oldest person doing it too :)

I knew he'd find it tough so I gave him some gels and told him when/where to take them. He was struggling towards the last quater when he took some and to quote himself " I was a different man"

I'll have to get him a box of them now.

I'm not a gel user btw. 9 in two years but I can see that increasing for 100km+ spins.

Amphetamines for cycling! :P

Also, I'm glad I was taken out of my comfort zone. Something to work on, like stopping smoking. I'd be a much better cyclist without the 40 a day habit tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Managed an "interesting" event yesterday. A sportive of sorts but with an unusual format or one that I am not used too?

It was a local GAA thing in Nordie land that was "90 Miles".

During all their training prior to the event people (local, it was quite local based) were put into teams, with a team leader, based on their abilities and as such every team was sent off on the morning at a set time, a bit like a TT?

Being based in Dublin I got put in a team based on hearsay! :(

I didn't mind the pace overall, it was fine but I was out of my comfort zone on the hills :/ but that's a whole other story.

Managed to knock out the 90 miles and a little extra to end up with 153km-Avg Speed of 27.5 + 1,171 m climbed. Average climbing speed = 23.4 which is about 10kmph faster than I usually climb!

Covered Tyrone, Armagh and Monaghan too.

BUT :D

Best of all my Dad did the 50 mile event and he, due to work and illness has only managed about 400km on the bike this year.

But he did it.

I'm very proud of him. Really proud of him. He was the oldest person doing it too :)

I knew he'd find it tough so I gave him some gels and told him when/where to take them. He was struggling towards the last quater when he took some and to quote himself " I was a different man"

I'll have to get him a box of them now.

I'm not a gel user btw. 9 in two years but I can see that increasing for 100km+ spins.

Amphetamines for cycling! :P

Also, I'm glad I was taken out of my comfort zone. Something to work on, like stopping smoking. I'd be a much better cyclist without the 40 a day habit tbh.

Well done mate, and to your dad also.
    I think its kinda funny you know you had 9 gels in 2 years tho :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd be a much better cyclist without the 40 a day habit tbh.

You'd also be going shopping for a new rothar

Fair play to your auld fella and yourself sounds like one of ye enjoyed the day more than the other :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier viewpost.gif
    I'd be a much better cyclist without the 40 a day habit tbh.
    You'd also be going shopping for a new rothar

Fair play to your auld fella and yourself sounds like one of ye enjoyed the day more than the other biggrin.png
    As in €10 X 2 X 365 = €7,300 :eek::eek::eek: A very nice rothar indeed ...

I kicked the habit myself years ago. It's not easy but if you literally put the €20 in a jar on a daily basis, that will help to reduce the pain a little when you see it accumulate.

<UNWANTED ADVICE MODE>
    Giving them up is actually the easy bit, it's staying off them is what gets most people. Buy more bikes, chew rocks, kick the dog, whatever, but do what you can to stay off them for the initial period.

Then when you're out of this, just tell yourself one thing and believe it: If you ever want a cigarette again, just go ahead and have one. But first make yourself believe 100% that this one cigarette means you will be back on them again as you were before.
    </UNWANTED ADVICE MODE>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement