Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

@smack drop that bike to a good bike shop, like epic who know how to bleed brakes.

Chance hydraulic oil leak in transit? Email rose I bet they'd pay if transit caused problem.

New front discs should be throwing you over handlebars not leaving you unimpressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

smacl wrote: »
    Very pleasant spin today, with plenty of bumps and lumps. Rathfarnham on to the Grand Canal out to Digby's Bridge, then back on the canal south to Naas, road to Blessington, Valleymount, Wicklow Gap, Laragh, Sallygap and back to Rathfarnham. About 142k all in of mixed on and off road over about 7hr30. Loving the Rose CX bike, though still not convinced about the front disc brake, and seriously need a set of decent gloves for the bumpy stuff. For anyone thinking of doing a canal run, the section from Hazelhatch to Lyons Estate is closed (properly closed!) so be prepared to divert. I also figured out that the Garmin 800 is not that intuitive and will need to RTFM at some point.

Holding the hoods more loosely might help with the hands part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Short spin today and fancied a nice coffee, stopped into Starbucks with the bike locked about 10 metres from the front door and I sat there staring at it and sweating the whole time. Don't think I'll be stopping for many coffees lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Went up Bohernabreena, Ballinascorney, Sally Gap. I heard the unmistakable bark of a cock Grouse halfway up the Gap, put the hair on my neck standing up thinking of days spent on the Ox mountains with my dad. Then Kippure, then over by Lough Dan for the first time. Jesus, it's beautiful there. Then down towards Roundwood and Kilmacanouge That's where the suffering started.
    The long drag up the back of the Sugarloaf into a headwind fked my legs. I was going well enough before then, got a few PR and 6th overall on a nice punchy segment.
    I rolled on up the N11, into Bray, on to Shankill and the legs really wouldn't shut up so had a coffee break. It didn't do me much good so I was glad of every traffic light between there and the end of the spin.
    I don't know if I was tired from a late night last night or because I didn't load up on carbs yesterday or both but I'm supposed to be doing the Reservoir Dog in 2 weeks so I'll be eating well and resting properly before that or I'll be in a heap.
    91km with 1347m in 4:05
    https://www.strava.com/activities/386129546

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Short spin today and fancied a nice coffee, stopped into Starbucks with the bike locked about 10 metres from the front door and I sat there staring at it and sweating the whole time. Don't think I'll be stopping for many coffees lol

One rule.

Your bike is under your arse or locked up in the attic.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

todays spin was rather brief unfortunately. Having gradually put more kms and climbing into my legs since I started on the bike 5 weeks ago I decided to take a spin up towards glendalough to see how id fare. Unfortunately for me just before I got to viewpoint a loud rattling noise and a fast stop where I found a nail rammed right through the middle of my back tyre.

a puncture I can deal with but the tyre itself was fecked theres a visible hole in it. I thought better of repairing and going further up the mountain as I wasn't sure going downhill on a tyre like that would be very sensible so I just put a new tube in and coasted back down the cruagh road and home.

really disappointing especially as ive only done about 300km on the bike but sure what can ya do. New tyre needed now though so will have to get one this week.

One rule.

I know but in fairness I didn't take my eyes off it. It's in the shed now which is linked to the house alarm and I still worry, the oh's Trek is in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Clane to Rathangan, Clonbullogue (felt very tired on this first 30km and considered calling it a day early but pushed on) then onto Portarlington before turning to Monasterevin and onto Naas and home. 102kms in 3hrs 50 minutes which is actually better than it looks, as I was only averaging 22kph for the first 30km until my legs came to life and I was then doing 28-30kph for most of the remaining 70kms. I'd brought two 750ml bottles with me (with high 5 and an electrolyte tab in both) and drank both but still felt very dehydrated when I got home.

Had a close call in Newbridge when a very drunk individual just walked out into traffic causing cars to brake hard and swerve, one of them nearly hit me but I braked and swerved myself to avoid the car. The driver pulled up beside me at the next traffic lights, apologised and asked if I was ok. I said it wasn't his fault and we had a laugh at the drunks antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Yeah, I'd be mortified if anyone saw me in Starbucks too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

D3PO wrote: »
    todays spin was rather brief unfortunately. Having gradually put more kms and climbing into my legs since I started on the bike 5 weeks ago I decided to take a spin up towards glendalough to see how id fare. Unfortunately for me just before I got to viewpoint a loud rattling noise and a fast stop where I found a nail rammed right through the middle of my back tyre.

a puncture I can deal with but the tyre itself was fecked theres a visible hole in it. I thought better of repairing and going further up the mountain as I wasn't sure going downhill on a tyre like that would be very sensible so I just put a new tube in and coasted back down the cruagh road and home.

really disappointing especially as ive only done about 300km on the bike but sure what can ya do. New tyre needed now though so will have to get one this week.

Worth carrying a tyre boot for these occasions. Should get you home worry free for most small tears.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    @smack drop that bike to a good bike shop, like epic who know how to bleed brakes.

Chance hydraulic oil leak in transit? Email rose I bet they'd pay if transit caused problem.

New front discs should be throwing you over handlebars not leaving you unimpressed!

Thanks, thinking this way myself. Epic site links to expert cycles in Rathfarnham who are just down the road from me, so will give them a bell.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be mortified if anyone saw me in Starbucks too.

I know and I realised I said 'nice' coffee too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

smacl wrote: »
    Worth carrying a tyre boot for these occasions. Should get you home worry free for most small tears.

Thanks Smacl I didn't even know this existed. Will be ordering immediately and carrying with me in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

(Yesterday) a small but very enjoyable sportif out of Kiltegan; 66 kms or thereabouts at just over 30kmh. Lovely route through west Wicklow and Carlow. Big shout out to the organisers and army of volunteers who made the trip run really smoothly. Chose it as prep for Dublin next week but was a great day in its own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

45k in about 2.5 hours, first spin of any considerable distance (by my standards) and boy am I bushed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

https://www.strava.com/activities/386960216

Short quick one @32km average, changed over to 28mm tyres and my second set of wheels. Had to stop twice to sort out the indexing and burnt my finger on the tyre trying to sort it out on the downtube adjuster. Really enjoying getting the speed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BarryAlfaro

I have a mountain bike and I did 2hrs cycling today on mountains and also got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

One rule.

Funny you should mention attics, The last couple off years I've put mine up there when on holidays.

They can take my TV

They can take my stereo

They can take my wife, but they'll never take my road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Borderfox wrote: »
    https://www.strava.com/activities/386960216

Short quick one @32km average, changed over to 28mm tyres and my second set of wheels. Had to stop twice to sort out the indexing and burnt my finger on the tyre trying to sort it out on the downtube adjuster. Really enjoying getting the speed up

Out of interest, do you find the 28mm quicker? Are you coming from 23s or 25s?

EDIT: I read your strava comment... slower :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Out to Howth and back, boy that was some breeze and the hill up the Balscaddan Road near killed me!

• Advertisement

Cruagh - Glencullen - Kilternan and back over lunch, glorious out there for those thinking of sneaking out this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed to take the new bike out for a technically tweaking oriented spin this afternoon. Having swapped over my first crankset I was super nervous. :o

I was afraid the whole thing would fall apart on me. :/

I was actually petrified.

Had a pile of tools with me to do any tweaking that might be needed and there was a bit of tweaking! There was some twerking* too but that was for my own amusement and that of a couple of cows.

I don't think they got it.

After a few tweaks, the main one being the front derailleur "High" setting being trimmed back, it all seemed fine. The crank arms and pedals stayed on, which was nice.

I went back to the gaff at one point to do another minor tweak and met the missus about to head off on a spin, so I accompanied her to Marley park and then near to her parents gaff where we went our separate ways.

I think she was glad we did as the noise off the Mavic exalith wheels/brake pads was fuppin embarrassing.

That piglet squealing sound better be a "breaking in thing"

All in all a lovely day off work :)

38km with 508m climbing.

Terribly slow though as there was a lot of stopping/starting, and then braking to try and break the pads/wheels in.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

A spin up Lough an Lea in the hot weather. Felt a bit of a BEDUM BEDUM over the last 12 kms and the tyre has a slight twist in it ( there is a technical name for it )/ time to put that gatorskin on thats lying in the back of the shed. Only 1500 odd kms done on that tyre. Besides that, it was a great day for a spin.

http://www.strava.com/activities/387658756?fb_action_ids=1033713046651755&fb_action_types=fitness.bikes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[1031145513586989]&action_type_map=[%22fitness.bikes%22]&action_ref_map=[]

Another cycle cut short with a puncture.

Closer inspection of the tyre and it has thread showing through in places :o

Is 3000km a reasonable time for replacement of a tyre or did last winters turboing speed up the wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

ronoc wrote: »
    Another cycle cut short with a puncture.

Closer inspection of the tyre and it has thread showing through in places :o

Is 3000km a reasonable time for replacement of a tyre or did last winters turboing speed up the wear?

I suspect the turbo didn't help. Different rider weights / power output and road surfaces will be a factor too. I've gotten as little as 1000 km out of a stock giant tyre before it got to the wear marker limit so 3000 km seems like plenty

I suspect the turbo didn't help. Different rider weights / power output and road surfaces will be a factor too. I've gotten as little as 1000 km out of a stock giant tyre before it got to the wear marker limit so 3000 km seems like plenty

I've had about 10k on a pair of Durano plus tyres which are still going strong, I reckon a few bob more for decent tyres is money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

starting glenties harvest fair cycle challenge going up glengesh

361663.jpg
    i'm in the middle !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

jon1981 wrote: »
    Out of interest, do you find the 28mm quicker? Are you coming from 23s or 25s?

EDIT: I read your strava comment... slower :)

Coming from Pave 28's with gp4000 23mm on to Maxxis Re-fuse 28mm tyres on an old 404 on the back and a Zonda on the front.

Feels slower but covers the ground fast enough and much more comfortable, would have been faster but the indexing didn't want to play ball so had to stop twice

I've stock Trek bontrager tyres. The rear is much more worn, flattened out on the contact point, the front by comparison is in pretty good nick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

P_1 wrote: »
    Out to Howth and back, boy that was some breeze and the hill up the Balscaddan Road near killed me!

i've been used to a tailwind when heading out towards howth the last few weeks, yesterday was some shock to the system!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement