Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Managed 52k today, only my 2nd spin since the SKT160, its been a bit of a fallow period since!
    Nothing too strenuous, up Ballinascorney and out onto the N81 and onto the Texaco just past Blessington village. Quick turnaround and home via the Embankment Road and down thru Citywest and out past Corkcaigh park.
    Averaged 26.6kmph which wasn't bad at all considering, tho the wind if anything seemed to be with me both directions on the N81, tho not complaining!
    Just under 2 hours rolling time.
    Using my lidl speedo for only the 2nd time, after my cateye let me down on the SKT, one time too many for me, so its been binned. Lidl yoke t'is grand, not as slick but does what I need, and for €6.99 you cant really go wrong can you!
    Nice to get out, and home before this sodding rain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Under pressure for time again today so it was a quick 28.5km spin @31.5kmph, changed the pave wheels over to 28mm Maxxis refuse tyres and got a new ultegra rd.

Was happy with average considering the wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

50k yesterday. Through rathfarnam up cruagh road to the sally gap and back down via powerscourt to dundrum. Nice climb up to the sally gap, dry and warm. An hour plus of almost constant uphill.....would be really good prep for the etape or marmotte. Deserted up there. Started to rain at the top so came home in pouring rain. Really tense descent and journey through rush hour traffic in Dundrum. If only there was a b and b to stay in near the top.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

48km dome, elevation gain 373m.

Headed off early as it is a cracking morning. Nearly got poleaxed by two cars at roundabouts, one was my fault but the other wasn't.

Really enjoying the cycling and off to Dungarvan now to check out a Cube or likewise bike with a 105 group set. This bike shall be my reward in January for hard work and some decent weight loss hopefully.

Just one Q, what and when to eat whole doing say a 50km spin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

dahat wrote: »
    Just one Q, what and when to eat whole doing say a 50km spin?
    On a 50km spin I think you could get away with just a banana and a water bottle. Have the banana after an hour or so, and drink the water at regular intervals (a slug every 10-15 minutes, or as you feel you need it). It's best to eat and drink before you get hungry or thirsty.

You could take some chocolate or a figroll or similar along with you for backup. Better to have it and not eat it, than to not have it and end up bonking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

100 and something k of rebel tour . Was going well , best time up Healy pass ever then completely bonked - dizzy , weak legs and the shivers . Had to spin the legs to get back to the in laws.

Didn't bring enough food for starters and the nappy changes of my little girl at 2 and 5 this morning didn't help . Will get some kip and finish it in the morning.

Bad day in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Went out to register for the great dublin bike ride and warmed up for tomorrow afterwards by heading to Howth in the nice weather.

Got my first top 10 in a segment ever, v. happy with it. Combination of trying to find Smithfield and gale force winds on way home brought down what I was hoping would be 25kph avg.

http://www.strava.com/activities/390465183

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

After about 6 weeks of relative inactivity due to slow healing injuries from a crash and the pressures of harvest time I was keen to get back up into the mountains again, for most of the week it didn't look like we'd be finished up for the weekend but a big effort and some long days got us over the line yesterday just before the rain arrived, so last night I decided if the weather cleared I was heading up today. I hadn't been up Slieve Maan from the Glenmalure side this year so that was the plan which really only leaves one route coming from the Kildare side of the Mountains.

I was going well before the crash but knew that wouldn't be the case now so took it nice and handy heading across, didn't want to blow up miles from home, felt OK on Hollywood and the Wicklow gap climbs so couldn't resist the call of Turlough Hill, bloody cold and windy up there, glad of my gilet for the descent to Laragh for coffee and a sambo.

The climb to Shay was grand, took it nice and easy, Slieve Maan is still a hard bitch of a climb, no respite there at all but ground my way up and over without any major drama before heading on through Aughavanna and the Ballinabarney Gap to the Glen of Immal. I felt good there so took the scenic route around to Donard for my second coffee stop and a refill of all my bottles.

Was feeling quite strong with all the major climbing done so took a slightly circuitous route home from Dunlavin to finish up with 151km and 2300m of climbing, the speed was a fairly pedestrian 21.7km/hr but not too worried about that, just wanted a decent spin in the legs before the Reservoir Dog next week.

https://www.strava.com/activities/390586999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Went through 63 Strava segments on a 70+ km route and didn't get a single PB or a 2nd or 3rd.

I blame the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Went through 63 Strava segments on a 70+ km route and didn't get a single PB or a 2nd or 3rd.

I blame the wind.
    Did you accidentally mark the ride as 'Private'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Giants Causeway Coastal Sportive.

Damp start to the morning but eventually dried out and a great route. Included a brilliant food stop, attacked it like I hadn't eaten in a week. May have ended up overdoing it on the caramel shortbread but it set me up for Torr Head which was a good finish to the day. It was tough enough hitting it with 160K in the legs but made it ... just about. Definitely in the top three climbs I've done.

A good way to sign off on the sportive season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,636 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A slow 2k around lunch time, had my 6 year old and 3 year old out on their bikes, but solo riding for the past few weeks and this was our first daddy daughters cycle.
    The 3 year old learnt very fast via a balance bike while the 6 year old took ages as we went stabilisers with her.

We took a trip to the beach and back several porpoises were putting in a show. Great day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Did you accidentally mark the ride as 'Private'?

Just checked and everything set as normal. Just a slow day in the saddle :o

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

I did the Oldcastle tidy towns cycle today. 81.5 kms with an average of 32.3 in a very strong group. Fast average speed compared to what I normally do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Another wet day today. I used to wimp out and stay in when it rained but I was forced off the bike with a leg problem for the months of June and July. Since then I just get out when I can despite the weather.

It was only spitting rain when I left the house and we headed out to the N11 and carried on to Greystones where we stopped for coffee. The rain was hammering down as we descended the hill into Greystones. I could barely see. At this point I was soaked and of the opinion that it was not possible to get any wetter.

After a stop for decent coffee and a croissant in Greystones (the 3 Qs or something like that) we headed back the way we came. 62km in total and 560m.

In July the consultant told me that I should be able to walk 2 to 3km in 3 to 6 months if I kept at it. 'Bo11ox' I thought and my stubborn streak took hold - I've cycled over 1,000km since then. It's a lot tougher than it used to be but at least I can get out on the bike and get some decent spins in. That's why rain doesn't bother me anymore.

The only negative from today is that I spent a few hours cleaning my bike yesterday. I removed the cassette and cleaned it, cleaned and lubed the chain, spent ages cleaning the frame to the point where it was gleaming. Now it looks exactly like it did before I started. In some ways I still hate the rain!

EDIT: 200km for the week on the bike. I also walked 11km just to keep the doc happy......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

65km today, rained the whole way round, got soaked but loved every minute of it

Gonna have to invest in some mudguards though, my arse was filthy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Did a local charity cycle today. It was a beautiful morning for it. would have been 80 km in total but didn't record the short ride home so I was left at 79.5km. First hour was ridden at 30km/h which is unbelievably fast for me and thought I would bonk or collapse near the end but I was fine. stayed dry for all except for the km or 2 ride home when I was annoyingly soaked and frozen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'm just after getting my bike up and running again after a long off period (dropout had cracked and I took a long time to get around to fixing it coupled with pure laziness), so I went for a decent spin in the pouring rain up Killiney Hill, it felt good to be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

Did the tour of Strangford today 130km or so. Forecast terrible weather but turned out not too bad with just one heavy shower at the start. A ferry journey in the middle which was a first for any sportive I've done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Did 48km with elevation gain of 232m.
    Under two hours with average if 25km or so.
    Clonmel-Carrick-Glenbower the back to Clonmel. Nice little pull to Glenbower from Carrick, good solid work on my Hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Punctures Galore

Took 20 mins to get tyre off. Valve on replacement tube was too short. Took another 15 mins to replace that tube. Got a slow puncture on the way home. Had to stop at every light to pump it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Second morning back on the bike today after breaking my arm at the end of July, just below the shoulder joint. Just a 7k commute each way on my hybrid. Arm also out of the sling all day and my physio has stepped up a significant notch.

All adding up to discomfort, but I am glad to be back on the bike.

Hopefully come the weekend I will be able to go for a cycle on the road bike, will aim to head from Dundrum to Valleymount on the Blessington lake drive. I think that is about 70k round trip. If I find I am struggling at least it is pretty much downhill the whole way home if I decide to abandon, and not so steep as descending from the mountains which would add to the weight going through my arm/shoulders.

Really looking forward to going on a weekend cycle again and really pleased to be back cycling to work. Weather forecast is fine this weekend too :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time on and off road cycle. Up Cruagh and into Massey's wood but found it a bit too muddy on the Marathons so went up Cruagh lane in search of any other off roady bits (nope), back down to Mutton Lane, Tibradden lane, Tibradden woods, Cruagh road and home. Pretty short in distance, but plenty climby, and more importantly, great craic. Fair play to anyone who races cross, just getting up the muddy slopes as a painfully slow solo effort has me looking for the oxygen tent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

I had to take a trip to Howth today as the weather was just lovely. Still needed a base layer and legs warmers but enjoyable spin. I took a spin down the hill to Baily lighthouse as someone on here mentioned it before. Lovely and peaceful down at the end. Got chatting to a fellow cyclist over a coffee in Il Panorama in Howth. Headed home and felt strong towards the end where I have been known to slow down for the last 10k or so. 92k in total , 27 avg with 700m up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

godtabh wrote: »
    Punctures Galore

Took 20 mins to get tyre off. Valve on replacement tube was too short. Took another 15 mins to replace that tube. Got a slow puncture on the way home. Had to stop at every light to pump it up!

Now there's an idea to avoid fines for RLJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

nice little 26km jaunt this evening, hadn't been on the bike for a week due to wheel issues just said id do a short one to get the body used to it again.

surprised myself with how strong i was feeling. 250m of climbing in there and averaged 26kph which is the fastest ive done so far whilst out.

jeez this cycling malarky is addictive lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

lovely little spin on a glorious sunny day 40k around the hills of co. kilkenny , muckalee / brown mountain etc. Never tire of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Just back from 54k, slow average but loads of climbing involved.
    Instead of going up Ballinascorney, for the first time ever I turned up past St Anne's GAA and on up past Glenasmole taking the road to Glencree, to where it meets the intersection if you were coming from the view point/stocking lane. Nice tough bit of climbing, dunno why I never tried this before!
    Carried on the to the next viewpoint at Lough Tay (?) and stopped where it flattened out. Guy came by me just before the little cottage on the left, and we chatted on the way up the climb. If you're on here mate, nice to meet you, I knew I'd leave ya on the hill :p In all seriousness tho, that climb never gets easy!
    Turned back then and stopped in Armoury café for the first time, on the recommendation of my brother, for a lovely cup of tea and a cake.
    Then home via Glenasmole again.
    Nice day on the bike and felt good and strong.
    Will deffo take the route more often now, its a nice little challenge and hits the 50k mark perfectly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

terrydel wrote: »
    Will deffo take the route more often now, its a nice little challenge and hits the 50k mark perfectly.

Those back roads around Glassamucky and Piperstown between the Military road and Glenasmole are fantastic ok. Surprisingly rampy with really remote feel for somewhere so near town. If you enjoy that kind of barely paved l-road, the circuit around Knockree at the back of Glencree is also worth a visit and gives you an option of the full wall as well if you're that way inclined.

Cruagh run again for me at lunch yesterday, really need to start doing some earlier morning stuff to get further afield on weekdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did a nice little route yesterday, from Dunshaughlin to Culmullen on to the Hatchet into Dunboyne and straight back up to Dunshaughlin. 32.9km in 1 hour

Went past the place where I had my bad crash without my head melting!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/394004705

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement