Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Uneventful but nice spin to Howth and back. Didn't bother heading down the village descent, traffic was a bit crap.

Trying to figure out what to wear on spins is a pain in the arse at the moment, it's not warm, but it's humid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

OldBean wrote: »
    Uneventful but nice spin to Howth and back. Didn't bother heading down the village descent, traffic was a bit crap.

Trying to figure out what to wear on spins is a pain in the arse at the moment, it's not warm, but it's humid.

Light windshells and ultra light rainshells in the jersey pockets are the job. I usually have either a light windshell from TK maxx or a Gilet in the back pocket (if I'm wearing arm warmers) and always have my cheap n cheerful decathlon rain gilet in there too.

Definitely not time for the winter jersey yet.

Yeah, I'd went for a light base layer, 3/4 bibtights and a merino Jersey. Far too much.

Yeah, I'd went for a light base layer, 3/4 bibtights and a merino Jersey. Far too much.

Are you sure your low average speeds problem wasn't down to time spent blacked out on the bike?

More likely carrying around my whole body weight in sweat.

But hey, average speeds went up 5km as soon as I took off the sensor on the rear wheel. Didn't realise how heavy it was...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Did just over 50km this morning but was more eventful than usual.

Clonmel - Kilsheelan - Fethard and back to Clonmel was the plan but felt good in Fethard so went straight on instead of back to Clonmel.

Road brought me to Rosegreen eventually but I was lost for a bit and two large dogs came flying at me while I was climbing a small incline, nasty tbh and got a bit of a fright.

Spin was good other than the dogs and I'd love to do it again but I'm sore now and need to re hydrate maybe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cycled down from dublin to athlone using the new greenway from mullingar as far as moate. amazing surface & tarred better than most roads, not formally open yet so have to skip around a couple of fences at points.

also took the royal canal way from near killucan to mullingar so would estimate a good 45km away from traffic of the 124km total. will head back up on the bike tomorrow all going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

dahat wrote: »
    Did just over 50km this morning but was more eventful than usual.

Clonmel - Kilsheelan - Fethard and back to Clonmel was the plan but felt good in Fethard so went straight on instead of back to Clonmel.

Road brought me to Rosegreen eventually but I was lost for a bit and two large dogs came flying at me while I was climbing a small incline, nasty tbh and got a bit of a fright.

Spin was good other than the dogs and I'd love to do it again but I'm sore now and need to re hydrate maybe....

Scarey stuff when that happens. That's the sticks for you tho, dogs are not kept tied up. Glad you weren't hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

A short 40km route this morning from the airport to St margarets, Oldtown, Ballyboughal then back along the Naul rd past Roganstown Golf club and back to the airport, was mild enough and small bit of wind.

Started the clock there at the junction of Collinstown lane and Swords road (i'd took it handy from Killester to starting point so in total 55km+) leading to the stretch along the airport runway. Nothing too eventful happened, past a cycling club after the turn for S parallel road along the airport, wasn't sure which club, was tough enough slog staying ahead on my own with the wind, but as I had passed them I was determined not to be caught up :D

Was going to stop off at Rubys for a coffee but forgot my money, so I just kept on going.

Ave speed 29.4kph over 40km. Happy enough with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another mixed road and fire road spin for me today. Rathfarnham - Enniskerry - Old long hill - Paved bit of Wicklow way - Laragh - St Kevins Way towards Tonelagee - Laragh - Sally gap - Rathfarnham. Only 100k but 1.9k climbing much of which was off road. I'd hoped I could cut across from the fire roads back onto the Military road, but even though I was only about 250m away at one point, barbed wire and the Glenmacnass river said no.

363017.JPG

That aside, a truly fun spin, and nice to look at the Military road from above for a change. You can just about make out the Glenmacnass climb on the left below.

363018.JPG

Loving the Rose CX at this stage though really must drop it into the LBS to get the front brakes sorted. Still crap at descending on chunky gravel, but hopefully practise will improve things. 6hr20 all in, and its starting to sink in that unpaved roads are not comparable to paved ones in terms of speed or effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

terrydel wrote: »
    Scarey stuff when that happens. That's the sticks for you tho, dogs are not kept tied up. Glad you weren't hurt.

Could have gone badly wrong but glad it didn't and we cycle on. Few stones on the pocket for next time i pass there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

High Kings cycle challenge today, rode up and back 120km @30kmph. Felt great today bar a couple of hills at the end but not too worried about them for the moment

https://www.strava.com/activities/395392899

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Long one today, doing RTTY in Munster is not easy, 3 200km's, a 300km and a 400km to choose from and one of the 200km's is over an hour away, so tackled the 3 Rivers 300 today for variety.

Really nice route for the bike, mainly centered in Cork with a 40km or so in Kerry.

Other than, centre of Iveragh peninsula there is nothing in Ireland that I've cycled on that comes near Borlin. It is on a par for beauty with anywhere I've been in France, Spain etc. Sh1t surface in parts but other than that a pure joy on a bike.

Fasted for first 120km and not a whole pile to eat after that, with a lot of travelling during the week, limited sleep and another 2 days with no food(don't ask I may be a little eccentric :)) I'm a tired boy now.

14h 20mins total time door to door including stops, most of it solo, it was a long day! 320km in total including ride to join route. Was going to tackle Beara 400 but was gently advised to get my head read:). Thank fcuk.

2 more months to go to complete RTTY.

Major kudos as always to the men of audax Ireland who plan these magical routes; you have no idea of the effort involved to make most of this lovely country of ours.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8215512

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ford2600 wrote: »
    Other than, centre of Iveragh peninsula there is nothing in Ireland that I've cycled on that comes near Borlin.

Congrats on the ride. Always amazes me how the ring of Kerry cycle manages to totally avoid all the best cycling on the Iveragh peninsula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

smacl wrote: »
    Congrats on the ride. Always amazes me how the ring of Kerry cycle manages to totally avoid all the best cycling on the Iveragh peninsula.

Sound.

Check out ROKON's route the Inner Ring 200 route on Audax Ireland. Proper route, I've ridden all the roads but not in that order. Dunloe, Black Valley, Molls, Ballaghbeama, Ballikisteen, Rossbeigh etc. Pure magic

BTW @smacl would you get those brakes sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Westport to Dublin - 260km - 26.8km/h - can't feel my legs :D

http://www.strava.com/activities/395665813

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

smacl wrote: »
    Another mixed road and fire road spin for me today. Rathfarnham - Enniskerry - Old long hill - Paved bit of Wicklow way - Laragh - St Kevins Way towards Tonelagee - Laragh - Sally gap - Rathfarnham. *Snip*

Met you up the long hill yesterday. Definitely not a day for the long sleeves. Lovely bike btw.

Hungover windy ride to Howth and back. Neither myself nor my mate could face the hill after a day watching rugby in the pub yesterday.

As punishment, we were into a headwind in the way out and the way back.

Oh, and match traffic around Croke park. Was there any games involving teams from NI earlier today? Was loads of yellow reg's around, driving terribly. Mate was nearly splatted by one pulling in on the left randomly, and another drove the wrong way down a road in clontarf.

Hungover windy ride to Howth and back. Neither myself nor my mate could face the hill after a day watching rugby in the pub yesterday.

As punishment, we were into a headwind in the way out and the way back.

Oh, and match traffic around Croke park. Was there any games involving teams from NI earlier today? Was loads of yellow reg's around, driving terribly. Mate was nearly splatted by one pulling in on the left randomly, and another drove the wrong way down a road in clontarf.

I hope you caught the driver and vigorously tousled their hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Reservoir Dog sportive today. 124km, 1900m 5:36 moving time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/396405091

It was one of the toughest days I've had in the saddle. I made it up Bohernabreena and Cunard OK, no problems across by Lough Tay and down to roundwood but started to feel it a bit just before the food stop in Laragh. The climb up Glenmacnass was a slog. I knew I'd suffer then so I just did my best to keep the HR in check. I was very thankful of the tailwind up the Sally Gap and once I came through the crossroads the elation gave me a spurt and I got my legs back.
    Of course that was relatively short lived as I struggled up Ballysmuttan. Then around by the Lakeshore... Jesus Christ that rolling road seemed to go on and on. At one point I came round a corner in Lacken I think and the road just kicked right up. I was in the big ring and nearly came off trying to drop down. The photographer in front of the pub had a great chuckle.

On the plus side, my recent bike fit seems to have eliminated my sore knee and back and I had no cramps today. That's a serious result as far as I'm concerned.

The event was really well organised and marshalled. I'd definitely do this again but I'd make sure I was in better shape!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cycled back up from athlone to dublin having cycled down on friday. typically enough having had a headwind when heading down the wind had turned for today's return spin :mad:

still felt better than expected after friday's spin seeing as i've not done decent mileage recently. arse pain was limited, biggest problem was the balls of my feet!

131km at 28.3km/h, happy enough with that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Club spin, only 4 did the full spin, one was an An Post Rás finisher and the other a monster of a cyclist. Really suffered.
    114km @30.1kmph and 920m of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Some years ago, I was browsing in the LBS when I bumped into a work colleague, didn't know that he was a cyclist. During the conversation he told me that he used to regularly cycle from Swords over to the Dublin mountains and back. I probably looked at him as if he needed to be assessed but also increased respect. That was approx 15 yrs ago. Yesterday, that was me. 73km from Swords to Clontarf over to Blackrock , Three Rock, via city centre to Swords. Thoroughly enjoyable. Takes me to 3300km ytd or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

First weekend spin in a long time - spin out around Meath with a coffee stop in trim. 93 km at just over 29kph average so happy with that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not a great spin this morning. Came off the bike going around the corner. Banged up hip/elbow.

Broke the rear hanger and badly scratched the rear mech. In the LBS now for an assessment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

godtabh wrote: »
    Not a great spin this morning. Came off the bike going around the corner. Banged up hip/elbow.

Broke the rear hanger and badly scratched the rear mech. In the LBS now for an assessment

It was the first morning in a long time with slippy conditions. Hope bruising isn't too bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It was the first morning in a long time with slippy conditions. Hope bruising isn't too bad.

The ego took more of a bashing than the body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

cycled back up from athlone to dublin having cycled down on friday. typically enough having had a headwind when heading down the wind had turned for today's return spin :mad:

still felt better than expected after friday's spin seeing as i've not done decent mileage recently. arse pain was limited, biggest problem was the balls of my feet!

131km at 28.3km/h, happy enough with that

What route do you take?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Maybe I'm a pussy but I'm already needing gloves and hat on my morning commute in Dublin. It's freezing! I still see people in shorts and tshirts, mad yolks.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm a pussy but I'm already needing gloves and hat on my morning commute in Dublin. It's freezing! I still see people in shorts and tshirts, mad yolks.

It was positively balmy this morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement