Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Hauki wrote: »
    Today I had my beast-mode on so took on both Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap. Lots of ups and downs along the way and in an absolutely gorgeous weather.

I was quite surprised that I'm still feeling pretty good. On my way back I was actually thinking if I should go up to Sally one more time from Blessington side. Well, probably it was best to leave it for now. Who knows, maybe next week?

Great spin but, if you were felling good, the Lake Drive might have cured that. It also keeps you off the N81 longer as do the back roads to Brittas. If you manage to keep up the training over the Winter, watch out for the Orwell Randonnee in the Spring. It goes back up Sally Gap a second time but also includes a few other "interesting" climbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

quozl wrote: »
    Last one of the weekly Summer leisure spins that I run for my club :-(

Kilmashogue, Kippure, full Wall, Djouce and Lugalla. Gorgeous weather and a decent 23.4 kph average.

Where is the Wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Where is the Wall?
    https://www.strava.com/segments/824925?filter=overall

The first bit of it is very steep but that quickly turns into moderately steep, which it maintains.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Went to the track at Sundrive - warmed up, did the vets 500m TT Championship (ages 50-59), came last, felt sad:(

Warmed up again, did the 2km pursuit Championship, won gold medal, felt (very) happy:D

(first time I've ever won a medal for anything)
    Over 4 years since I posted this - knew I would not do well in today's sprint and TT, so not overly surprised to be last in both. Retained the pursuit and took silver in the scratch, so I'm more than happy this time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

90 km with handy flat route for St Joseph's foundation cycle in Charleville . Good to get back into saddle after the disaster of the rebel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

https://www.strava.com/segments/824925?filter=overall

The first bit of it is very steep but that quickly turns into moderately steep, which it maintains.

I know the KOM on this didn't realise he was that strong a rider. I'll be avoiding any spins he's on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Last one of the weekly Summer leisure spins that I run for my club :-(

Kilmashogue, Kippure, full Wall, Djouce and Lugalla. Gorgeous weather and a decent 23.4 kph average.

Are you a serial killer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Quick Question, does Strava give you km updates whilst cycling, similar to MapmyRide?

Did 55km yesterday early, Clonmel-Carrick- Glenbower and back to Clonmel. Really getting a buzz for it and cannot wait to get a road bike on January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

103km today on the Pieta 100km in Limerick, first time breaking the 100km barrier, chuffedh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

Anyone on Barnaslingan this morning? massive deer standing in middle of the road at bottom of hill before Scalp farm on Enniskerry side, called the ranger but didnt sound like theyd do anything as it wasnt injured, hopefully it found its way back up into the woods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Was all set to do the Tour of South Meath with the Clonard road club but had a voice in my ear during the week reminding me that I got out for the Reservoir Dog last week so I had to go to a kids party thing in Tallaght. Well I'll go if I can bring the bike and get a quick spin afterwards. OK, Deal.

Got to say, the weather was perfect. Short sleeves today, it might be months again before I can wear them. Headed up Piperstown / Bohernabreena. I had almost forgotten how nasty some of the ramps were. Strava says about a 6% gradient but there's plenty of spots where the garmin was saying 12-15%.
    Came down it again and then went up the main Bohernabreena road and turned for Cunard. Got to the top there and descended Stocking Lane. Had a very fückin hairy moment on the first corner after the viewing point. Had to jam on the brakes to avoid a car coming up in the middle of the road. Completely locked up and only just about avoided the barriers. I left half my back tyre on the road and half my spare tyre in my chammy.
    As a footnote, I made the last repayment on the bike yesterday so I'm now saving for upgrades. I definitely need a new back tyre, probably get a front one too. And maybe some DA C24s to put them on if santa is listening ;)

39 km with 850m
    https://www.strava.com/activities/401608015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

To work along the canal. Half seven certainly isn't early enough for quiet roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/402069499

Wasn't sure if I was up to riding today as I was off work sick last night with a temperature and generally felt crap. Up early enough as had to get the kids off and as the morning wore on I felt more like getting out. Weather looked grand so off I went. It was a bit windier than I first thought, but I felt good for the first hour. After 2 hours, I was starting to feel quite slow. I'd only planned to do 50-60Km, so only took one bottle and no food. Got a bit lost and ended up in the city, which really kills the pace. Managed to find my bearings, but had to get home via the zoo - which is on a huge hill! Luckily I was on my commuting machine which has a triple, as I had totally bonked at this stage.
    Wobbled back (I really was going that slow at this stage) home after a shade under 85Km and 822m climbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

On my last week of holidays so got out for a nice spin this morning! 102kms Greystones down to Rathnew over to Rathdrum, Avoca, Arklow and home via the coast road. Great day for it and felt good until Arklow. Don't know what it is about that coast road but I always struggle on it. Felt really bad on it today and just limped home. Still, can't beat cycling when everyone else is working!

https://www.strava.com/activities/402049054

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Did a bit of an ABC spin yesterday. I tend to go "light" for those unless it's an early morning thing.

Going light means ditching useless grams, such as the usual bunch of keys for just the single house key.

Every gram counts. (So I was told)

I nearly had a heart attack going up to Tibradden forest yesterday. HR issues are why I prefer to go out early morning, my HR being less fupped.

Said mini heart attack obviously started my heart and the second repeat up Tibradden wasn't as bad. I think I did about 600m climbing for the day.

Decided to fight the whole procrastination thing this morning and just get on the bike.

Everything was going well and I was very pleased with my ability to overcomes various issues right up until the millisecond I closed the front door.

I hadn't reattached the front door key to my bunch of keys :(

So I headed of for a spin lit by the moonlight and street lights as it's quite dark at 6am.
    This is what it looks like at 6 am from the top of Stocking Avenue.

2i8wvn5.jpg

I'm naming these Autumnal/Winter weekly morning outings "Tesco Spins" ala every little helps.

Anyways, when I got back to the gaff there was no waking up my missus, she sleeps with earplugs in. Lucky for me I had enough gear in work to see me through the working day (and car keys). Put bike in car and drove to work.

I'll be getting a spare key cut now and keeping it in the car.

So 17.5km done with 215m climbing. I'd have loved more climbing and less KMs but I was obviously distracted :/

Roll on tomorrow morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. Put bike in car and drove to work.....
    ...Wearing cycling shoes? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Worse, just socks.

Very, very weird.

Never mind that, some spin today for you :D

Tomorrow's motivational toon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Did a bit of an ABC spin yesterday. I tend to go "light" for those unless it's an early morning thing.

Going light means ditching useless grams, such as the usual bunch of keys for just the single house key.

Every gram counts. (So I was told)

I nearly had a heart attack going up to Tibradden forest yesterday. HR issues are why I prefer to go out early morning, my HR being less fupped.

Said mini heart attack obviously started my heart and the second repeat up Tibradden wasn't as bad. I think I did about 600m climbing for the day.

Decided to fight the whole procrastination thing this morning and just get on the bike.

Everything was going well and I was very pleased with my ability to overcomes various issues right up until the millisecond I closed the front door.

I hadn't reattached the front door key to my bunch of keys :(

So I headed of for a spin lit by the moonlight and street lights as it's quite dark at 6am.
    This is what it looks like at 6 am from the top of Stocking Avenue.

2i8wvn5.jpg

I'm naming these Autumnal/Winter weekly morning outings "Tesco Spins" ala every little helps.

Anyways, when I got back to the gaff there was no waking up my missus, she sleeps with earplugs in. Lucky for me I had enough gear in work to see me through the working day (and car keys). Put bike in car and drove to work.

I'll be getting a spare key cut now and keeping it in the car.

So 17.5km done with 215m climbing. I'd have loved more climbing and less KMs but I was obviously distracted :/

Roll on tomorrow morning...

Ive often done that with the key, forgetting to reattach it and locking myself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Beasty wrote: »
    Over 4 years since I posted this - knew I would not do well in today's sprint and TT, so not overly surprised to be last in both. Retained the pursuit and took silver in the scratch, so I'm more than happy this time....

What was your pursuit time ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

https://www.strava.com/activities/401985239

Keeping going on my short sharp spins, 37.5km @32.2kmph Dunshaughlin to brace town to Kilbride and Ratoath to home. very enjoyable and the weather was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Up at 0500 to do a little bit of maintenance on the bike, followed by a short but fast spin for sunrise. Bike sorted, and was just after re-inflating the tubes, getting dressed when the rear tube pops. Glass had gotten into the tyre, and hadn't managed to do any damage 'til it resettled and the tube was re-inflated.

Back to bed with me.

0km, but a minor heart attack counts for at least 5, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

No work yesterday so took off heading for Sally Gap - Laragh - Enniskerry. Lovely day for it.

As I was climbing stocking lane the battery on Di2 gears went out. Continued up to the viewing point and had to decide whether to continue or not. The rear derailleur was still functioning but the front was straying in small ring.

Decided not to continue, figured that the rear would also give out before long.

First time I have charged it, expected from what I have read that it would last longer between charges but perhaps it didn't come fully charged.

Anyway, lesson learned. Not hard to check the charge on it and it seemed to charge really quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Worse, just socks.

Barefoot. Lovely, comfy way to drive...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lovely lunch time spin up Bohernabreena, Glassamucky, Miltary road, and back via Cruagh. Fantastic weather, and would have stayed up there all day if it wasn't this goddamn work lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Fixed this mornings puncture and set off for Malahide with a mate. Spectacular day outside, with quite a few others making use of it. As two rather proud coffee dicks, we decided to try a pumpkin spiced latte from Starbucks while in Malahide as a bit of a joke. Even tacked on the premium 'bright roast' single origin to see if it'd be more palatable.

It wasn't. Probably ended up 2km/h faster for the first 25 mins on the return, and 2km/h slower after that from bumming out after all the sugar.

Also, got a new PR on the Hurry Up Or They'll Rob Your Bike segment, which is still my favorite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just a 30k for me this evening around Dublin. So many bikes with no lights when it got dark, the bright evenings are gone people. Then I got ran into by a girl on a Dublin bike when going by her on Westmoreland St, how I stayed up is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Saw some numnutt on a Dublin Bike this morning flash thru a crossing for kids school manned by two lollipop wardens, no shame on him, Jesus

Just back in now from about 12k on MTB on the eerily quiet and misty roads around Donabate /Portrane

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

A 38km spin from Swords to Malahide, Ballyboughal, and back takes me to 3548km ytd, exceeding total for all of 2014. Happy days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunchtime spin up Cruagh, Miltary road, glorious descent down Glassamucky brakes with Aldoc playing on the inner jukebox and back home. 24k with 442 climbing in 1hr10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Wow! What a day! 126kms, Greystones over to Tallaght where I met my Dad (70 in January and still flying!) and we headed up the Blessington road. We headed out to Valleymount and parted ways at the turn off for Ballyknockan. He went back to Tallaght for a 70km trip his biggest yet and on my old mountain bike too! I headed on up to the Wicklow Gap. The weather was simply amazing and I think I even got a bit sunburnt! Down into Laragh and I stopped for coffee and a slice of lemon and almond cake in Glendalough Green which I never usually do but the weather was just too good! Home then via Kilmacanoge. Rode from just after Roundwood with a guy taking turns in the headwind, if you're on here thanks for the tow! I think that was the best day I've ever had on a bike, just incredible!

https://www.strava.com/activities/403429653

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement