Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Fog as far as the eye could see this morning (ie not very far). First time riding in fog for ages so I stuck the lights on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

42km @31kmph weather was great even with a headwind home.

Back on the Powerbar recovery drink again and find it great

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Fog as far as the eye could see this morning

Sounds like a Bord Failte add as done by Waterford Whispers.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

learn wrote: »
    What was your pursuit time ?

2.54 which was 5s slower than last time and 12s slower than I did in the Irish Masters to following year although on both occasions wind conditions were a lot better than Saturday (indeed I have only gone marginally faster than my 2012 time indoors - I'm sure the wheels were a massive benefit that year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Wow! What a day! 126kms, Greystones over to Tallaght where I met my Dad (70 in January and still flying!) and we headed up the Blessington road. We headed out to Valleymount and parted ways at the turn off for Ballyknockan. He went back to Tallaght for a 70km trip his biggest yet and on my old mountain bike too! I headed on up to the Wicklow Gap. The weather was simply amazing and I think I even got a bit sunburnt! Down into Laragh and I stopped for coffee and a slice of lemon and almond cake in Glendalough Green which I never usually do but the weather was just too good! Home then via Kilmacanoge. Rode from just after Roundwood with a guy taking turns in the headwind, if you're on here thanks for the tow! I think that was the best day I've ever had on a bike, just incredible!

https://www.strava.com/activities/403429653

Would you not sort out a new rothar for the poor man. At least give him a chance ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

smacl wrote: »
    Sounds like a Bord Failte add as done by Waterford Whispers.

Check out the Waterford Whispers story on Mecca. I think you'll enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Beasty wrote: »
    2.54 which was 5s slower than last time and 12s slower than I did in the Irish Masters to following year although on both occasions wind conditions were a lot better than Saturday (indeed I have only gone marginally faster than my 2012 time indoors - I'm sure the wheels were a massive benefit that year)

Not bad from a standing start and that head wind on the back straight, Do you have normal racing drop bars on your Wattbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Jaysus lads it's getting nippy out there :eek: !! Wrap up well before heading out, don't forget the thermos!

Down to Howth this morning, up the hill, down it, and up the hill again and back home. Some serious wind, but just short of 26 km/h avg so happy out. I think the thought of a warm cup of tea at home got me a couple of PRs on the way back :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/405272453

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Short 30km in 1hr 15 before lunch. Fairly chilly, but loads of people out. Anyone planning on heading out to Enniskerry, the road from the scalp filling station to the station just outside the village has been dug up, it's all loose chippings and no road markings. Not sure if that's a recent development as I haven't been out that way in ages, but it's a pain in the tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Einstein? wrote: »
    Jaysus lads it's getting nippy out there :eek: !! Wrap up well before heading out, don't forget the thermos!
    Cold indeed! I was planning on heading up to Sally from Glencree but it was so cold that I decided to turn towards Featherbeds and sprint home for hot shower and food.

No more riding on summer kit, I guess :mad:

https://www.strava.com/activities/405352925

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Rathcoffey GAA club fundraising Cycle this morning. Fairly flat 90km but at 34.7km/h average. :eek::eek:

Got caught up in the lead group and it basically turned into a hammerfest.

https://www.strava.com/activities/405364944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Went off at 8am n like others said it was nippy out....

Clonmel to Golden to Cashel and back to Clonmel with a little extra at the end to get over 60km, 62km in total.

2hrs20m with average of 26.4 km/h.

Delighted as that's as far as I have gone plus I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Sat spin
    over to Cupidstown via Maynooth, Rathcoffey, Clane, Bodenstown, Kill , Rathmore, Kilteel, Cupidstown back via athgoe, celbridge

dull day(could have done with a rear light) a bit chilly but dry
    not many out over this way in the pm

https://www.strava.com/activities/405510161

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

110k today
    Tallaght to manor Kilbride then around blessington lake drive and on up over wicklow gap to laragh had planned on going back up over Sally's Gap but my legs said not today. So headed back via roundwood and enniskerry
    Gave my galibier mistral its debut today and glad I decided to go winter kit as it was cold up them hills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

As mentioned... 'twas indeed quite nippy out this morning!

Didn't bother with leg warmers and that was OK but the summer spandex type base layer is getting ditched for some of the Aldi/Lidl wolly'er ones.

Glad I had arm warmers and my wind breaker light jacket too.

Managed 90k or so including the to/from for a group spin. Not really sure where we went but I know we were in Kilcock.

Then genius boy decided to do a bit of climbing and try for the Strava Fondo.

I can't help it :(

Did the Reservoirs near me close to Ballinascorny and then a few local loops and up Stocking lane to end up with 131km done for the day with 1,040 meters climbed. 23 avg speed.

Also saw a red squirl near the reservoirs, which was cool. rare little fellas! (Nearly ran him over but we won't go there)

23'd century this year according to http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/annualSummary.php w00t!

Good day out on the bike!

oh...Bar the total pr1ck who decided to over take us as a group and even though he had a completely empty road ahead of him decided to pull back in and missed me by a hairs width, as I was at the front of the group and on the right.

Best punishment pass ever. Top stuntmen coordinator types couldn't have choreographed such a close call. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

well was supposed to head out with the boards crew for a group spin but my 13 month old had other ideas. Arrived at 9.10 and no sign of anybody so set off for a spin on my own up towards eniskerry.

way up the road saw a group of riders. Could it be the boards lads I thought ? Drilled it for 2 km to catch em. Small group of 4 no boards jersey and another bigger group a few hundred meters ahead so didn't stop straight by them and kept going to catch the other group.

Dang was Orwell wheelers group and not the boards lads ah well. Decided to follow behind the Orwell group hanging 15 - 20 meters back just to get an idea of how a group spin operates anyway having never done one before.

picked up on some handsignals and how they drop back off the front so just kept following em at a safe distance till we got to enniskerry. They stopped at a junction and I took that as a hint to do one so I dropped off the pace for a few km to let them disappear up the road.

legs weren't feeling great so instead of heading onto glendalough I turned up towards powerscourt waterfall climbed up the featherbeds and then decended down by viewpoint and the hellfire club all the way home culminating in my first ever KOM on the last segment before my house.

my longest spin and climbing so far. Pity I didn't get out with the boards crew but next week please god.

47.8km with 750m of ascent.

https://www.strava.com/activities/405955052

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

oh and just like unknown soldier yesterday I also spotted the rare sight of a red squirrel on my cycle today. probably the same fella lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

D3PO wrote: »
    well was supposed to head out with the boards crew for a group spin but my 13 month old had other ideas. Arrived at 9.10 and no sign of anybody so set off for a spin on my own up towards eniskerry.

way up the road saw a group of riders. Could it be the boards lads I thought ? Drilled it for 2 km to catch em. Small group of 4 no boards jersey and another bigger group a few hundred meters ahead so didn't stop straight by them and kept going to catch the other group.

Dang was Orwell wheelers group and not the boards lads ah well. Decided to follow behind the Orwell group hanging 15 - 20 meters back just to get an idea of how a group spin operates anyway having never done one before.

picked up on some handsignals and how they drop back off the front so just kept following em at a safe distance till we got to enniskerry. They stopped at a junction and I took that as a hint to do one so I dropped off the pace for a few km to let them disappear up the road.

legs weren't feeling great so instead of heading onto glendalough I turned up towards powerscourt waterfall climbed up the featherbeds and then decended down by viewpoint and the hellfire club all the way home culminating in my first ever KOM on the last segment before my house.

my longest spin and climbing so far. Pity I didn't get out with the boards crew but next week please god.

47.8km with 750m of ascent.

https://www.strava.com/activities/405955052

You must have just missed myself and ted1 as we left about 9.10am. I was there at 8.50 and didn't see anyone else. We done preety much the same spin as you with tibradden lane added on at the end. Nice relaxing spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

First time in a group spin today, also first time back on the bike in well over a year.

Loved the group setting - very friendly and makes the trip a lot more enjoyable.
    Happy also with how I was on the bike - remembered key things like how not to mess up clipping on, how the gears work and how gravity like to mess with you on hills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Feeling the effects of a cold at the moment, so no big spins, but managed to convince my fairer half to come out for a short spin round the park.

Was really nice just pootling along at 15-20km/h watching the deer on the quieter trails. Would have been great altogether if it weren't for a driver on the road to Farmleigh attempting to run us off the road while beeping, then overtaking and slamming on the brakes. Not what a new, unconfident cyclist needs.

Gardai said "ah he'd have to have hit you for us to look in to it". Complete cop out, begging the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

OldBean wrote: »
    Feeling the effects of a cold at the moment, so no big spins, but managed to convince my fairer half to come out for a short spin round the park.

Was really nice just pootling along at 15-20km/h watching the deer on the quieter trails. Would have been great altogether if it weren't for a driver on the road to Farmleigh attempting to run us off the road while beeping, then overtaking and slamming on the brakes. Not what a new, unconfident cyclist needs.

Gardai said "ah he'd have to have hit you for us to look in to it". Complete cop out, begging the pun.

I hear that they can only investigate successful murders too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

26km done this morning.

Average 14.2mph

Giant escape 3 hybrid 32x700 tyres.

Nice morning cold but fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

26km....

...Average 14.2mph
    My head hurts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

26km done this morning.

Average 14.2mph 22.85kph

Giant escape 3 hybrid 32x700 tyres.

Nice morning cold but fine

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Ha sorry bot that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Took a spin up to see my brother today. Longwood- Trim- Navan- Slane- Collon- Ardee- Dundalk. 78.8 km in 2:42:32 @29.1kmph.
    Fairly flat route to start but a few humps around Slane and a bigger hump before Collon and then some rolling road at the end near Dundalk.
    The weather was gorgeous but I'm glad I had the long sleeve jersey on. It might be sunny but it's definitely not summer anymore.

https://www.strava.com/activities/406437626/overview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A few laps of Howth head this evening, just 31.07km but unusually for Howth there was a strong head wind on the way up the graveyard side this evening, and bloody freezing at the summit.

Short enough spin, but I'm coming off a 10 day cold/chest infection and have a Judo competition next week so just wanted a short, sharp CV workout this evening (and an excuse to work up a thirsty for a few pints tonight :P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Back to back for the Giro De Galway training. Got in 110km both days, colder Saturday than Sunday. But it was a pleasure to be out.
    Only few more weeks until the giro itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

Not today but over the weekend….

Sat night 6 or 7 pints of Guinness in local followed by about 4 bottles of home brewed 7.5% alcohol Weiss beer at an Oktoberfest house party – in bed after 03:30
    Up at 8:00, one slice of bread and butter in the gob, out the door for 90k from Northside to Kilternan -> Cruagh -> Sally -> Enniskerry -> Kilternan -> home with 1200m of gain. A slow 21kph but given the state I was in at the start I’m amazed I finished it.

As I said to my cycling partner yesterday, only for I woke up drunk I wouldn’t have been able to get out of the bed!

Almost lost the contents of my stomach on the way up to Sally a few times too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

That is pretty impressive.

A crowd of us went down to Listowel for the Ring of North Kerry a couple of months back.

Rake of pints in John B's the night before.

Woke up drunk, sailed through the first 40k. Really sobered up in the first food station, and ended up taking the turn for the short course. Justified it by feigning interest in the Monaghan v Tyrone match. We had to do the short course to be able to get back and watch that match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement