Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Godlike anticipatory skills this morning on the commute. I knew everything, I saw it all, it was like being Neo. Every car that didn't indicate and then turned, every wobbly cyclist, every earphoned pedestrian stepping off the path, I saw it all happening before it happened. Deadly, I really felt like I was in a trailer for "Limitless 2 - The Commuter". And it was warm and sunny.

Still only got in in the usual time though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Peterx wrote: »
    Godlike anticipatory skills this morning on the commute. I knew everything, I saw it all, it was like being Neo. Every car that didn't indicate and then turned, every wobbly cyclist, every earphoned pedestrian stepping off the path, I saw it all happening before it happened. Deadly, I really felt like I was in a trailer for "Limitless 2 - The Commuter". And it was warm and sunny.

Still only got in in the usual time though :)
    Can I have a part in your movie & not one that gets mashed by an earphone wearing numpty pedestrian who steps off the path to have sword fight with some zombie pirate ninja cannibal robots from another world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Passed the 3000km mark for the year today, not too bad for missing 4 months, first spin over 34kmph average. Happy days

Check out my 34.4 km Ride on Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/407477825

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Beautiful spin on Sunday morning;
    City Centre-Brittas-Blessington-Eadestown-Naas-Sallins-Clane-Kilcock-Maynooth-Leixlip-Lucan-City Centre.
    Exactly 100k at 26.4KPH average, really pleased, at 63 its proof that anyone can enjoy cycling at a half decent pace.
    Bit chilly though, glad I wore legwarmers and winter jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

01Surveyor wrote: »
    Exactly 100k at 26.4KPH average, really pleased, at 63 its proof that anyone can enjoy cycling at a half decent pace.

Enjoying it more now (and probably fitter) than at any age since 17. Hopefully 64 will be even better for both of us;)

• Advertisement

Did 38km @32.9kmph felt comfortable but still need to work on the hills

https://www.strava.com/activities/408822083

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Couple of Whiskeys has last night so opted for a leisurely spin along the Grand canal today. Diverted off the canal after Hazelhatch, and again when trying to get back on at Lyons village. Interesting chat with one of the construction workers, in that a dust path is being put down for bike for the full length of the canal, due to be finished January. Kind of mixed feelings about this, as I derive a certain masochistic pleasure from the muddy, grassy and other lumpy sections over the winter, but on balance a good thing. Relieved they're not tarmac'ing the route, as there's enough tarmac out there already. I kept with the canal as far as Robertstown and back to Naas, the Blessington, Balinacorny and home. Bad choice of return route, I really need to suss out the less travelled L-roads between Naas and Blessington, main road is a monotonous haul.

365155.JPG

For those that haven't tried the canals and fancy a mellow day on two wheels, they're worth a punt this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

50k in today, South city to up around Howth Head and back. 50.03kms according to the bike. My first time up Howth head on the bike and found it alright going even if I was a tad slow but the more I do the quicker I'll get :)

Had a well earned Americano in Chopped at Fairview on the way home, really nice little spot

YEL6pvd.jpg

uedd77k.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just over 65km this morning in 2hrs 21m with average of 27.6 km/h though all that recorded on mobile app ( accurate I ain't sure)

Clonmel - Carrick - Clonmel to Knocklofty and home via Marlfield.

Enjoyable but went out early and tool me 15km to wake up nearly. Wasn't too cold which makes a spin more enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Went for a spin out to Shankill this morning and decided to head up to Kilternan. Was going to head down Gleanamuck but the road was closed and the Garda helicopter was overhead. Only heard what happened when I got home. Doesn't bear thinking about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Went for a spin out to Shankill this morning and decided to head up to Kilternan. Was going to head down Gleanamuck but the road was closed and the Garda helicopter was overhead. Only heard what happened when I got home. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Yeah it's shocking. I had planned doing that on one of my early rides. If I had of set off at the time planned it would have had me going by there at 5:20ish. Glad I didn't now. Must have been a terrible scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

101.5km today on the Pure Mule Sportive in Leitrim. Great crowd for it and brilliant organisation, marshalling and food before during and after.

1080m of climbing over the 101km distance at an average of 26.5kmph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Was dragged away with work this morning when I was supposed to be hitting up the entry to Audax posted here, ended up only managing to get out for a 20km spin around the park with a mate when I got back. Lovely morning out there, warmer than you'd think too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Did my longest spin of the year yesterday. From killenagh to gorey, Arklow, woodenbridge Rathdrum, Laragh. Glendalough. Back through same route. 132 km. Spin up was a slower pace 21km average, left the group on way back and got the average up to 23km which means I averaged 25 km on return trip. My back is acting up this morning unfortunately but legs were fine.
    Much easier from this side...remember going from Tallaght to Laragh..no comparison at all but that was 20 to 25 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Club spin this morning with Clondalkin Cycling Club, 91km all in...2 groups one at 27km/h and another at 24km/h. Great turnout about 20, coffee stop in Sallins. Mostly flat route with some short climbs, average actually worked out at about 29km/h! Nice and dry and not much wind, good spin!: https://www.strava.com/activities/410763676

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

My young fella had his first match of the year today down in Tullow so I left him drive down and took the bike myself, lovely morning for a spin, not really any wind so was able to spin a nice tempo down, had factored in a rough average of 27/28km/hr and a short coffee break but in the event didn't stop and was making a bit better pace so actually arrived before the lads in the cars, had to add an extra 12km on to keep warm.

https://www.strava.com/activities/410981493

After a fairly shaky start the lads pulled through for the win as well so a good start to the day, only got better since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Headed up from Deepark by Dundrum -Stepaside - Johnny Foxes- Glencullen- Cruagh, first time up any of them roads. Some tough ramps on the way up to Johnnys but I'm happy with my times on them. I used to be bottom 10% on a lot of climbing segments, now I'm around the 50% on most and even up around the top 10% on a few so I think that's huge progress in the last few months. I've been trying the Strava climbing training plans on the turbo. Truth be told I haven't done half the plan but I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect. If I keep reading the Emails they send me I'll be flying in no time ;)

Continued on up from Cruagh - Featherbeds and up Kippure for the 10th time this year. It's the first time I think I've been up there with no wind. Didn't make it any easier though.

On over to Sally Gap crossroads and headed up by Lugalla. First chain drop of the day followed shortly by a shard of glass putting a dirty hole in my tyre just as I came up by the lay-by. I took a little coffee break and fixed the puncture but the tyre isn't in great shape.

On down towards Roundwood, Kilmacanouge, Bray, Shankill, Ballybrack, with a couple more Chain drops and the chain rubbing the FD if I was anywhere inside halfway on the cassette. Then up the N11and then I couldn't find the shaggin car!!! Must remember if I'm parking somewhere new to actually REMEMBER where that is.

A total of 81.7km with 1297m in 3:35:58

https://www.strava.com/activities/411059948

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/924571635

Managed to get out for a couple of hours. Bit windy here so was a bit harder than I expected in the second half. Garmin told me I was 32.3Km in the first hour, so was happy with that. Got a bit lost on the way back (again) but saw some new places

Thomastown to Richmond Harbour (Cloondara) on the Royal Canal yesterday.
    Lovely morning, with excellent towpath surface from Thomastown/Killucan to Abbeyshrule. Westmeath Co.Co. have done great work on the towpaths and people are using the amenity, with lots of early morning runners and walkers and a few cyclists. Not a boat in sight! The mini Deep Sinking section on the approach to Mullingar is particularly nice. You now cycle on the North bank of the canal through Ballymaglavy bog (just after Ballynacarrgy) and this means you avoid what was one of the most difficult sections of the Royal. After Abbeyshrule the towpath reverts to grass (Longford have clearly not followed Westmeath's approach). TBH by the time I got to Abbeyshrule I was starting to find the constant smooth surface a bit boring and was yearning for a bit of variety......and I got it! Sections of the towpath between Abbeyshrule and the Shannon are hard work as the grass has got quite long and the path is wet and rutted in some sections, nevertheless the spin is a delight and I arrived in Richmond Harbour after five hours of pleasant cycling and traveled on to Longford to pick up a lift home.
    On previous spins I have always stuck to the way marked path but I am not sure that is necessary any longer as many of the un-waymarked sections of the tow path appear to have been developed and it is clear that parts of the original route are no longer in regular use. The problem is that you can still take what appears to be a the best path only to find that the it peters out and you have to turn back and resume the marked route. Dont be too easily put off though as often a gate or sign can be disregarded and a section of rougher path will lead to a bridge or lock allowing you to get back on course without turning back. e.g. the Ballymagalvy path is marked closed for 'works' but it is quite passable. There is a need to update the way marking to reflect the development of the towpaths, you cant even rely on John Dunne's TowPath Tours anymore.

Just over 65km this morning in 2hrs 21m with average of 27.6 km/h though all that recorded on mobile app ( accurate I ain't sure)

Enjoyable but went out early and tool me 15km to wake up nearly. Wasn't too cold which makes a spin more enjoyable.

Sounds great DHAT. I havent been out with the Carrick lads for a few years but the following spin is a beauty.
    Carrick - Kilsheelan -Fethard-Clonmel-Mountain Road-Rathgormack-Carrick
    You can pay homage Kelly by extending the spin into Mothel and Clonea-Power.
    Stop at the top of Seskin Hill to pay your respects to the great Joe Kelly (Sean's Brother) at his memorial. Every great Irish sportsman has a brother who was 'much better'.....Joe was that brother... RIP
    Carrick for a man or a dog!!

• Advertisement

01Surveyor wrote: »

Sounds great DHAT. I havent been out with the Carrick lads for a few years but the following spin is a beauty.
    Carrick - Kilsheelan -Fethard-Clonmel-Mountain Road-Rathgormack-Carrick
    You can pay homage Kelly by extending the spin into Mothel and Clonea-Power.
    Stop at the top of Seskin Hill to pay your respects to the great Joe Kelly (Sean's Brother) at his memorial. Every great Irish sportsman has a brother who was 'much better'.....Joe was that brother... RIP
    Carrick for a man or a dog!!

Seskin hill and The Mountain Road do scare me a little this early into my cycling journey.

Most definitely on my to do list when I get my road bike on January/February though.

Thanks for the encouragement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Day late again but got 80km in with the club yesterday , flat route with two drags in caherconlish and the hamlet climb. 26.5 k average. Club is knocking back to pace for the winter to make it more sociable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

12k around Donabate Portrane on MTB tonight under a clear starry sky may not have been as beneficial as the turbo trainer, but, a whole lot more enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

short post work spin was a bit of a damp squib gave up on an attempt of Stepaside Lane then got a puncture which turned out to be a cut in my sidewall.

Booted the tyre changed the tube and toddled nervously home with the constant jump scare of a van with hissing brakes making me think my boot had failed.

Still. Miles though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Other than being nearly cleaved 3 times (once very close) mine was a mediocre enough spin today-perhaps the low sun this morning played havoc with people's vision.

Due to my good mount being in dry dock I've had to start using the new winter bike early.

Bought a Boardman Sport recently and am very impressed. Okay, I won't be getting any speeding tickets but for 400 bucks I would recommend. Presumably now €360 with the AXA card:

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-sport-bike

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mario Speedwagon

Hello folks, "long time / first time" poster here.

My bike to work bike finally came through (Merida Ride 400) and took her out for a 30 minute spin this morning through the back of Rush and up the Skerries road. I shouldn't have had those beers last night, I was sucking in the big ones.

Been years since I've cycled at all so although it was tough, I am delighted with it & look forward to spins to come - bloody hell I need to get fitter!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rathfarnham, Sallygap, Laragh, Sallygap and home for 80k and 1.3k climing at 22kph. Chilly enough out in the hills today but loads of cyclists out which is great to see at this time of year.

92km today out with the club, just under 30kmph average. Very enjoyable and a great coffee stop in Enfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Took my first spin into town about 40k , took it the coast road from swords on in , malahide, sutton, clontarf all the way down to fairview and east wall. Great cycle track on the coast, stopped in fairview on the way back for some lunch and popped into the bike shop for a nose and picked up a battery for the pedalometer thing on the bike, took a fancy to a lock and bought the kryptonite one with cable and he threw in the battery for free. Great day for a spin, really enjoyed it

• Advertisement

Went out early and did 59.9km at 27.8 km/h average.

Really nice morning with little breeze. Seen at least 4 dead hedgehogs which always makes me sad for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement