Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Really missed my spins this weekend, my dodgy back went into spasm after the 132 km spin last weekend 😢. Hopefully it will be okay for the long weekend coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I felt cold and slow today. I headed off in shorts and a light jacket but 500 yards from the house I was thinking of going back to put on long bibs and an extra layer. I didn't, I thought I'd warm up in a few minutes and be fine. That didn't happen, my legs, arms and chest felt cold for the whole spin. I've often been out in far colder weather and felt fine but today just got to me. I stopped for a coffee in Trim to get warmed up a bit and didn't feel too cold at all while sitting down outside so it was obviously not that cold. After the coffee I trundled up through the town and decided against doing the extra mileage I had been planning. Just one of those days that didn't feel right I suppose.
    Rolled on home and had a hot bath. Felt much better but then I watched the Rugby.... Ah well.

A flat 69km in 2:30 a 27.7 kmh. https://www.strava.com/activities/415372236

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

decided to change things up a bit today so instead of heading up the mountains decided to keep to more flat / rolling terrain. Went out to Blessington and then turned up towards Killtell, through Kill back down into Rathcoole, and then back to Firhouse. A lot of people out on their bikes today passed plenty of people enjoying their Sunday spin including a group from Nass Cycling Club who were pulled up waiting on a puncture repair.

Felt good had bags of energy and could have kept going for a few more hours only there was a certain rugby game i wanted to get back for the buildup of. Longest spin so far and also my fastest 55km at 28.1 kph only 371m of climbing done though.

Ive signed up to go on one of the beginner spins with Orwell wheelers next week, based on the ave speeds i was doing up the mountains, 23-24kph now im kind of wondering if i should look at asking can i maybe go with their next group up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/415368967

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Spin up the mountains yesterday and seen Doc Brown!!
    Very interested to find the whole story on this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Spin up the mountains yesterday and seen Doc Brown!!
    Very interested to find the whole story on this....

Getting ready for Wednesday?

https://www.facebook.com/October212015BTTF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Quick spin this weekend so as to be back in time for The Match.
    City Centre-St.Margarets-Garristown-Four Knocks-Naul-Ballyboughal-St.Margarets-City Centre.
    Exactly 75km at a slowish 26.1kph.
    Nice spin with three 'climbs', Grallagh, Four Knocks, Naul.
    Cold even with a winter jacket.
    Traffic jam in the Naul with people waiting to get into the coffee shop, looked like a big crowd from Clontarf CC.
    Dont get the coffee and cake thing myself as I just get cold and stiff, so I keep going, and looking forward to a hot bath.... mmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

I did the Pink Elephant 200 Audax on Saturday, starting and finishing in Ballincollig.A really brilliant route but a tough day out.
    The weather was great though, which always helps.
    The scenery in parts is just incredible, especially the newly devised section of the route into Gougane Barra from the Northeast.
    Well done to the organiser, first class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Did 50km yesterday from the girlfriend's in Delgany, over towards Laragh, via Newtown Mount Kennedy/Roundwood.
    Cateye died (again) so no stats.
    Was a fairly chilly morning, so took a while to get going. But enjoyed it all the same. Bang on two hours really.
    The hill just after Newtown Mount Kennedy (following a right turn up past some apartments on the right) is a fair challenge!
    Enjoyed a change of route, first time I've cycled from her place as a base, will have to do more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I did the Pink Elephant 200 Audax on Saturday, starting and finishing in Ballincollig.A really brilliant route but a tough day out.
    The weather was great though, which always helps.
    The scenery in parts is just incredible, especially the newly devised section of the route into Gougane Barra from the Northeast.
    Well done to the organiser, first class.

250km no, and on your worst bike?

Great day on bike even if you slinked off and left me with a few monsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

terrydel wrote: »
    Did 50km yesterday from the girlfriend's in Delgany, over towards Laragh, via Newtown Mount Kennedy/Roundwood.
    Cateye died (again) so no stats.
    Was a fairly chilly morning, so took a while to get going. But enjoyed it all the same. Bang on two hours really.
    The hill just after Newtown Mount Kennedy (following a right turn up past some apartments on the right) is a fair challenge!
    Enjoyed a change of route, first time I've cycled from her place as a base, will have to do more.

That's slaughter hill, it's an aptly named bastard alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

That's slaughter hill, it's an aptly named bastard alright!

Haha, cheers mate, nice to put a name to my misery!
    Might try persuade her to move haha :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

70kms yesterday. Greystones up to Kilternan via the Old Connaght rd in Bray. Down to Ranelagh from there and out the Rock rd to Dun Laoghaire and back to Greystones through Killiney. Thought I was going great until some fecker wearing a pair of plaid (!) shorts and a t-shirt ****ing breezed past me heading into Bray. I thought ok maybe he just caught me unawares but I struggled to keep up with him through the town and going up Windgates he absolutely blew me away! Incredibly demoralising! Tail firmly betwixt legs getting home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

31km @33.1 kmph average, nice spin. Picked up a 105 5800 group set today in Cycle superstore, onwards to 11 speed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Borderfox wrote: »
    31km @33.1 kmph average, nice spin. Picked up a 105 5800 group set today in Cycle superstore, onwards to 11 speed!!

I upgraded to 5800 late last year and I love it. Slick.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Giro De Galway completed.
    373km, 14.5 hours in the saddle over 2 days. Great fun in fairness and the weather was super! :)
    Body felt great, think I found a golf ball and its stuck in my rear, but its going :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

373km, 14.5 hours in the saddle over 2 days. Great fun in fairness and the weather was super! :)
    Body felt great, think I found a golf ball and its stuck in my rear, but its going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

yop wrote: »
    Golfball stuck in your rear, that must have brought a tear to your eye!

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Golfball stuck in your rear, that must have brought a tear to your eye!

Ah it was interesting. I just moved a lot on the saddle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

38km @31.7kmph avg

Felt great today, kilometres were ticking off so quick. Groupset fitted and fettled and working like a dream, front derailleur shifts are so quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Finally got a kid free day off so got out for 72Km. First 50k or so is grand but after that I got too close to the city with many sets of lights and trams etc that slowed me right down. I need to fettle the route into maybe a figure of 8 to keep out in the countryside more. Weather was great the past 2 days, but was drizzle and cool when I set off, still, it climbed to 14 degrees when I was home

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/935533008

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Ferocious headwind on the way out but didn't mind that because it meant I'd have a nice tailwind coming home. Well, in theory it should but it didn't work out that way. Naturally then of course the loose spoke that was supposedly tightened during the bike's 6 week service came loose. Hand tightening wasn't enough to halt the irritation. Not the most enjoyable spin of the year.

But I'm not complaining :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

Got our this morning for 102km. First long spin in ages. Legs were tired for the last 10km or so. Went over Lallys mountain from the Killavally side. Coming from that side makes it a very long climb. In before the worst of wind and the Gabba 2 and a base layer was just the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I hadn't planned to go out today but the opportunity arose and I took it. I managed to get 40km done. I went out by Baldonnell and Newbridge and back home on the N81. Thankfully I missed the rain showers as I didn't bring my rain jacket.

The bloody wind is back and from tomorrow we'll have the dark evenings. Poxy winter :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

crosstownk wrote: »
    I hadn't planned to go out today but the opportunity arise and I took it. I managed to get 40km done. I went out by Baldonnell and Newbridge and back home on the N81. Thankfully I missed the rain showers as I didn't bring my rain jacket.

The bloody wind is back and from tomorrow we'll have the dark evenings. Poxy winter :(

I wore a Windslam Gilet today. Lovely and warm on the way out into the headwind.

Icy tailwind on the return leg onto the breathable mesh back :(

I've never had a tailwind before...feckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Dying Light 200 Audax

Last audax for the yr/season.. for me anyway
    wonderfully organised, food etc at the controls and a great grub back at the finish. thanks to Andreas and all the other volunteers for this
    really enjoyed the spin and as always met great cycling companions

a bit wet and windy at the beginning..maybe i was the only one starting in shorts?? (sans leg warmers ..correct me if i'm wrong) but the day cleared up to brillant sunshine

https://www.strava.com/activities/419445498

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Yesterday on my second ever "big' cycle I headed off with a friend with the aim of cycling Swords to Dalkey and then getting the DART back.
    Off we set down the coast road and had lunch in Dunlaoighre and cycled all the way back. 3hrs 20 and 70km later. Sore today.
    Met other cyclists along the way and the weather really was nice and bright but that wind though... Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGlitchKing

I don't go for cycles. I ride around on a metal steed, navigating the maze of Dublin while fending off bus mirror shaped guillotines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne-Kilcock-Maynooth-Lucan and home..

Hard fcuking work with a hangover, and the wind is a snakey basturd seemed to come from all directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Cycled to work last night - must have pressed the button on the Garmin twice as my recorded distance was 10m!

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/937805245

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

First of the winter training today, forgot to put HR strap on so just kept the cadence high. Hard getting used to concentrating on cadence and controling speed. 2.5 hours done. Change of tyres from to 25mm heavier winter ones was a bit strange too at first.

Smiled to myself after a little wobble when I got a shout from the DW group before passing me. Didn't realise they were so close behind me, they were going at a fair pelt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement