Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thargor wrote: »
    Any pics of the crater and roads?
    Add your reply here.
    Not apart from what's on strava, roads are mostly good, drivers likewise but some very ignorant motorbikers over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nilhg wrote: »
    ... roads are mostly good...
    At least you had the sense to descend the way you came up. I went down the road at the western side - absolutely horrible surface. Probably the nearest you'll get to Paris -Roubaix without having to do any pedalling. I thought my bike was going to fall to pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

nilhg wrote: »
    ... roads are mostly good...
    At least you had the sense to descend the way you came up. I went down the road at the western side - absolutely horrible surface. Probably the nearest you'll get to Paris -Roubaix without having to do any pedalling. I thought my bike was going to fall to pieces.
    Add your reply here.
    I'd seen you say that before somewhere and reckoned better the divil I know.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First spin in a fortnight and boy did I feel it. I had great notions a few weeks ago of training hard before the weather got bad to give myself a better base to work off over the winter but hurt my arm at work so I haven't sat on the bike for the last two weeks.
    I headed up Bohernabreena, Ballinascorney then up Sally Gap and had to carry the bike over the bridge. Continued on up to Kippure where I passed a bordsie just as I was turning in the gate, and then on up to the top and took a rest and soaked in the views. I love that bastard of a hill and today was utterly stunning up there. I was very near to giving birth or something by the time I reached the top though. I intended to stay comfortably in zone 3-4 but the HR was way up and very near my max for a while. That's what happens when you don't exercise enough, eat too much and then fool yourself into thinking you're an athlete as opposed to a tourist on a bike hurtling towards middle age. I did achieve a goal for a segment on Strava so I was happy with that although it always helps avoid disappointment if you set standards fairly low.

I got a puncture in my good new rear tyre on the way down by Lough Bray and took a while to change so that scuppered plans of doing some extra mileage as the sun was getting lower in the sky at that stage. Then I started drifting towards the dreaded bonk.

I saw someone on here a while ago, who shall remain nameless, recommending rice cakes for snacks while cycling. All I will say is it's a good job I brought fruit pastilles and a banana with me Alek!!

I popped down from the featherbeds via Cunard and back to the start for a total of 56km with 1188m and two dead legs.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/424615897

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I headed up Bohernabreena, Ballinascorney then up Sally Gap and had to carry the bike over the bridge. Continued on up to Kippure where I passed a bordsie just as I was turning in the gate,

That was me you passed at the Kippure gate. :) I heard you shout out to me.

I headed on to Sally Gap and saw the 'Road Closed' sign but decided that whatever the blockage, I'd be able to get the bike around/over/through it. When I came to the bridge I had to carefully wheel the bike ahead of me over the wall of the bridge - very gingerly with cleats on!

Marvellous day for cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Back out today for a short 49km spin. Had been off the bike for 3 weeks with a dodgy back. Killenagh. Gorey. Ballymoney, courtown, ballygarret. .home. lovely day to get back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Exceptionally mild alright - I was overheating in shorts and short sleeved jersey. Almost every other cyclist seemed ridiculously overdressed including some with those ski mask/balaclava yokes.

Don't people check the weather forecast! :confused:

worse than over dressing in this mild weather is refusing to admit defeat and at least try and ditch some of the layers.

That and my big pet hate the big flappy luminous jackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Almost every other cyclist seemed ridiculously overdressed including some with those ski mask/balaclava yokes.

That's the armed wing of the JKPB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Yesterday was just idyllic for cycling, smiling now just remembering it.

I went out to Blessington, over the Wicklow gap via the lakes then back to Dublin via Laragh, Roundwood and Enniskerry.

I started with a pair of gloves on but I soon put them away.

The weather was just so lovely, it was amazing to have the copper coloured foliage combined with summer weather, like the best of autumn and summer combined and we have just entered winter! The autumn colours were fantastic. I passed another cyclist coming against me as I crossed one of the bridges over the lake, I was looking out over the lake with the sun shining off the waters. Neither of us said a word but we both just broke into grins, it was a fantastic day to be out on the bike.

manafana wrote: »
    worse than over dressing in this mild weather is refusing to admit defeat and at least try and ditch some of the layers.

That and my big pet hate the big flappy luminous jackets.

but what can you do? I had a soft shell on yesterday and for most of the ride I could have done without it, but where would I put it? If I tied the arms around my waist I would be worried about it flapping into the spokes, not to mention losing things from the pockets. Simplest thing to do is to just unzip it and ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Fian wrote: »
    If I tied the arms around my waist I would be worried about it flapping into the spokes, not to mention losing things from the pockets.

Transfer "things" to the jersey pockets, roll the jacket up tightly from the bottom up to the arms and tie it tightly around your waist. Doesn't look great but I don't think it contravenes the Rules of Cycling.

Transfer "things" to the jersey pockets, roll the jacket up tightly from the bottom up to the arms and tie it tightly around your waist. Doesn't look great but I don't think it contravenes the Rules of Cycling.

If I am wearing a soft shell I normally use a jersey that doesn't have pockets at the rear, I have a few "running" tops from Lidl that are very comfortable.

Still I might try that rolling up from bottom to arms idea next time I am wishing I didn't have it with me. Ofc that could well be in 2016 given the time of year.

but what can you do? I had a soft shell on yesterday and for most of the ride I could have done without it..
    Check the forecasted temperatures beforehand. Arm warmers are useful as they can be removed or reapplied when necessary. And a gillet will take up less space when rolled up. Another option is to remove a base layer which may be easier to carry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Usual lunch time spin up Cruagh - Glencullen - Kilternan and back in what felt like perfect cycling conditions. Front disc brake feels like its biting a bit better, though it could just be me getting used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Yesterday was just idyllic for cycling, smiling now just remembering it.

I went out to Blessington, over the Wicklow gap via the lakes then back to Dublin via Laragh, Roundwood and Enniskerry.

I started with a pair of gloves on but I soon put them away.

The weather was just so lovely, it was amazing to have the copper coloured foliage combined with summer weather, like the best of autumn and summer combined and we have just entered winter! The autumn colours were fantastic. I passed another cyclist coming against me as I crossed one of the bridges over the lake, I was looking out over the lake with the sun shining off the waters. Neither of us said a word but we both just broke into grins, it was a fantastic day to be out on the bike.
    I hope you were wearing more than just gloves, if you weren't the other cyclist you passed wouldn't have grinned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I went out at 8:30 pm last night. It was fine, if not lovely, zipping around Firhouse to Dundrum and back etc but heading up Stocking lane and Tibradden Hill @ 10pm was quite scary.

So dark. Quite slippy too!

I have a decent CREE light though and it was fine for cycling but when I stopped and looked behind me at the top of Tibradden Hill it was pitch black, like deep space.

Seriously dark.

Descending back down to Stocking lane and past mount Venus GRAVEYARD :/ there was a lot of fog. Thick, thick... fog.

Left turn up the rest of Stocking with a right turn down Gunny Hill past another GRAVEYARD.

:/

As lovely as the 2 hours out and 41 odd km done with 560m climbed were, I'm not cut out for the scary stuff.

I've watched too many horror movies.

I think I saw a child in werewolf form BUT it may have been a fox.

That's what they'd want you to think though...

Those werewolves are clever, like foxes...

Ah yes. Reminds me of a cycle from Cork city to Ringaskiddy many years ago with a teenager. He wasn't finding me fast enough, so he sneaked up behind me and said very quietly, "This is the kind of place you can feel the trees picking up their roots and stalking after you", then he took off.

I broke some kind of personal record on that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

On this date 3-Years ago I was thrown off my bike. Wasn't planning on cycling until lastnight when I decided I'd better get out today, I've all Winter for the turbo.
    Strange sunken feeling in my stomach heading for the gate and wasn't only until I had 8km done when I decided to just enjoy this and see where I would end up!

My cycle today was a short but it cleared my head; dropped the shoulders; fresh air back into the lungs; just Amazing feeling I must say

DdjEKf3.jpg
    XBT6ctA.jpg

Some days I just really need my bike. Don't know if that makes sense, but today I just felt like I needed to get a cycle in and just enjoy the feeling of overcoming what I have.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

61kms this morning. Greystones to Enniskerry, up to Stepaside down to Taylors pub and up to the masts on Three Rock. First time up Kellystown rd and found it much "easier" than Ticknock rd. Started raining pretty hard on the way up but then stopped again at the bottom. Quite a few mountain bikers around Ticknock sheltering from the rain under the trees, come on lads, rule#5!:p
    Home to Greystones from there. Nice day to be out despite the soaking!

https://www.strava.com/activities/428037350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I got wet very wet !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Went out Fri late morning toward Enniskerry in incredibly mild conditions and onto the Long Hill then up Sally Gap,stiff headwind to contend with.You could count on one hand the amount of cars/buses passing me in either direction...which was nice.
    Was planning to do kippure but low cloud made my mind up for me.
    Descending down with Lough Bray on the left got hit with a gust off the lough that blew me over to the other side of the road,roads wet,at speed that was squeeky bum time.
    Lovely amble home from there except for a bit of wheel spin on Devils Elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I had to get out today before cabin fever took hold. I'd been keeping an eye on various weather forecasts and last night I decided that 2pm was the optimal time. I headed out by Baldonnell to Newcastle and came back through Tallaght. As I neared home I'd only 40km on the clock so I fluted around on roads with street lights to bring it up to 60km.

The weather looks sh1te for tomorrow and Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Up in Rostrevor today. It was lashing all morning and that kept up for the climb. Kodak corner didn't provide a Kodak moment! Not long after though it cleared up nicely for a bit of sun. Soaked to the bone for the entire run around the red trail but its such a great spot it's impossible not to enjoy it.

...You could count on one hand the amount of cars/buses passing me in either direction...which was nice...
    I did the Wicklow Gap-Laragh-Sally Gap route one bitterly cold day in early January a couple of years ago. After I left Laragh, I didn't encounter a single vehicle, person, beast or bird in the 30k+ to Stocking Lane. I lost all feeling in my hands and face crossing the Featherbeds.

PS - Welcome to boards.ie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

I did the Wicklow Gap-Laragh-Sally Gap route one bitterly cold day in early January a couple of years ago. After I left Laragh, I didn't encounter a single vehicle, person, beast or bird in the 30k+ to Stocking Lane. I lost all feeling in my hands and face crossing the Featherbeds.

PS - Welcome to boards.ie. :)

Cheers.

Never been across either Gaps in January,i'd imagine its quite tricky.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    XBT6ctA.jpg

Some days I just really need my bike. Don't know if that makes sense, but today I just felt like I needed to get a cycle in and just enjoy the feeling of overcoming what I have.

I just can't stop looking at this. Have to go to Kerry again. Looks like it'd be hard to bring the bike on the train with the no-bicycles-at-peak-times rule, though

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/05_dublincork-tralee_280915.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Its this bit of Wicklow way https://goo.gl/maps/Jx21pRpjDFC2
    Last Sunday had magnificent weather, so i decided to take the bike somewhere.
    Took the train from Malahide to Bray, then cycled to the starting point, then you can easily cycle up to the Powerscout waterfall view point, after that its walking and cycling. Got to the top of the peak right for the sunset. One of the most beautiful things ive seen in my life! On the sea side - violet and blue sky, on the other side - bright orange sunset. Valleys covered in fog, only tip of Sugarloaf visible, all the colors around... By the time it was getting dark, i got back on asphalt and cycled the wrong way for a while. After I realised it, I decided to take Luas back to town from Tallaght as cycling back to Bray seemed more tiresome due to terrain - its all the way down to Tallaght. I didnt realise you cant take bicycle on the Luas?? First driver asked me to leave the tram, but then i hid behind the stop, waited for next one and sneaked in in the rear of the tram - either driver didnt notice or didnt care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

sunday spin
    got drowned in 1st 10 mins then sunny for the rest of the spin
    not another cyclist on the roads...no flyby's
    lesson..trust Yr.no and wait for the Sun:)

https://www.strava.com/activities/429046421

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Last Sunday had magnificent weather, so i decided to take the bike somewhere.
    Took the train from Malahide to Bray, then cycled to the starting point then you can easly cycle up to the Powerscout waterfall view point, after that its walking and cycling. Got to the top of the peak right for the sunset. One of the most beautiful things ive seen in my life! On the sea side - violet and blue sky, on the other side - bright orange sunset, valleys covered in fog, only tip of Sugarloaf visible, all the colors around... By the time it was getting dark i got back on asphalt and cycled the wrong way for a while. After I realised it I decided to take Luas back to town from Tallaght as cycling back to Bray seemed more tiresome due to terrain - its all the way down to Tallaght. I didnt realise you cant take bicycle on the Luas?? First driver asked me to leave the tram, but then i hid behind the stop, waited for next one and sneaked in in the rear of the tram - either driver didnt notice or didnt care.

Jaysus!! :eek:

You are one lucky man! :eek: :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I didnt realise you cant take bicycle on the Luas?? First driver asked me to leave the tram, but then i hid behind the stop, waited for next one and sneaked in in the rear of the tram - either driver didnt notice or didnt care.

It mightn't be all about the bike - those shorts are something else ;)

Great video.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement