Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Someone stole my back light (a bloody expensive one) in the office today, not ****ing impressed.

will check the cctv tomorrow and dish out an appropriate level of ass whooping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

In the office? Or outside the office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

91k out to Howth. Had some nice section with a tailwind but slogged it home the 25k. Happy to be out and within a minute of getting home the wind whipped up and tore the ivy off the back wall. Nicely tired now. Last 3 spins were on the turbo. Nothing nicer than being out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In the office? Or outside the office?

in the office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

in the office!

Some colleagues you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Sat Spin
    over in the Algarve for a few days
    hired a bike from Megasport a Couler- Radar?? carbon 105 had BMC technology written somewhere on the bike??
    downloaded a route from Ridewithgps Fred van derMeer?? made it.
    great weather 20-24C blue skies, lots of up and down route
    deserted roads, great surfaces, only came across 1 MTBer and 2 roadies i think(forgot to check the flybys) and my first real snake in the wild ever crossing the road up in the hills!!
    only thing , was deserted up in the hills first pub/cafe (very local) at 75Km in needed water badly got it and a cafe duplo
    oh and i passed through a hamlet called California, will post pic maybe later if i can find out how
    124Km 1935m
    https://www.strava.com/activities/432636539
    btw hows the weather been ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

devonp wrote: »
    needed water badly got it and a cafe duplo

Cycling in Italy in the Summer on the Hospice Cycle, Paul Kimmage's favourite tipple was a cafe doppio. In fairness, he saw the humour in this before we had a chance to point it out.
    btw hows the weather been ??

Sh*te - first week in ages when I didn't manage to do a decent spin. Had to make do with some circuits of the Park thanks to the rain and/or wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

After two weekends of procrastinating and not really cycling on either of them (Did catch up on Dominion only to discover its cancelled:( )and Doctor Who too, I decided last night that no matter what I was heading out this morning, regardless of the hangover. I even committed myself to two group spins.

No one turned up for either! :/

They have a thing called "common sense", which I lack.

It was one filthy, filthy morning out. Constant rain in the form of light rain to heavy rain and at one stage hail stones. Lets not mention the wind :(

102km done and 1,264m climbed.

Butter hill is an utter see you next tuesday. I did it twice :/ (I mentioned common sense, yeah?) In fairness I was contemplating Sally gap.

Only a wetsuit will keep you dry in hours of constant rain but my Galibier Mistral jacket turned out to be worth every penny and a lot more. I didn't get cold at all and it was 3-4 degrees for most of the morning.

I did get wet as such but I was always comfy. I kept waiting for the cold wind chill to kick in but the jacket did its job and some.

Those Aldi pro waterproof socks were great too.

Today was the first time I have ever had to hose down a bike (gently) after a spin. There was no way my missus would have let me bring it into the house in that state! I was bleedin' lucky to be allowed in.

Tenth Strava Fondo for the year (cos I'm a sap) and my 24'th century this year.

All in all, I actually really enjoyed myself today, the last 20k was kinda tough though.

I'm so going to stuff my face with Dominos later, post beer'age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Quick and dirty 37k in north dublin, out over the m50 on the rathoath road and back in through finglas. Not really wet or cold, windy as hell though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Off out in somewhat windy weather at just after 9am, solo spin as usual.

Clonmel- Newcastle - Clogheen - Cahir - Clonmel.

First time doing this trip and slightly lost at one point but a kind lady told me to follow the white line and I'll get home eventually!!

As per usual my phone GPS failed so unsure how far i went I map it later. Very blustery at times but stuck at it with respite from the wind on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I didn't go as far as any of you guys did today, only cycled 20k, but I'm building up to longer distances. I met some ferocious wind going up a hill which was tough to cycle through. Then up the next hill I overtook someone, a massive deal for me :) My max heart rate hit 192 on the cycle, dunno if it was battling through the wind of peddling like crazy to overtake someone that caused that rate. A good cycle nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

Wet and windy club spin from Kells to Delvin and back. Horrible wind over to Delvin and a great tailwind back. 47.6 done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

65k around wicklow today, some hills and lots of crap road. Saw a deer though, should have brought the rifle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

biZrb wrote: »
    I didn't go as far as any of you guys did today, only cycled 20k, but I'm building up to longer distances. I met some ferocious wind going up a hill which was tough to cycle through. Then up the next hill I overtook someone, a massive deal for me :) My max heart rate hit 192 on the cycle, dunno if it was battling through the wind of peddling like crazy to overtake someone that caused that rate. A good cycle nevertheless.

20k out on the bike is an excellent spin, especially at this time of year, even more so if the weather conditions are slightly against you aka the wind :)

Well done. 20k out on the bike is better than not being out. You should be chuffed with yourself. I remember being over the moon that I did 15km and didn't have a heart attack. :p

You had a good day out on the bike and that is what really matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It was one filthy, filthy morning out. Constant rain in the form of light rain to heavy rain and at one stage hail stones. Lets not mention the wind :(

102km done and 1,264m climbed.

Fair play in that weather yesterday.

I saw your spin on Strava and noted the coffee stop at Blessington Lakes Golf Club. I decided that I'd make that the target this morning for my own coffee stop. I struggled against the headwind out the N81, through Manor Kilbride, Blessington and out to the golf club. I was looking forward to some nice nibbles. When we got there, they told us they had no cake/scone/croissants :eek: :mad: We had to settle for a bar of Snickers. That said, the staff were very friendly and very apologetic and a tea, coffee and two Snickers was only €5 which wasn't bad despite it didn't meet our needs!

Still, 70km in today's windy weather was welcome. We sailed back to Dublin on the N81.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

60km yesterday morning from Drumcondra -> Phoenix Park -> Strawberry Beds -> Lucan -> Dunboyne -> Maynooth (tough)

Then back home via Leixlip, Luttrellstown and the Park (easy).

Light rain for the most part. Very, very windy.

First spin in a few months, so was determined to get out on the bike. It is nice to feel the wind on your face on a day like yesterday. Beats staying indoors, so long as you have decent kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

that is a decent spin, with the wind yesterday it must have been a biatch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

First spin in almost a fortnight due to weather/work/bit of a dose. Where did that wind come from???

Really enjoyed it. Lovely, fresh winter morning-and very little traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Bit windy !!!!

Hopped on the Turbo Trainer with Sufferfest "The Wretched" ... quite apt name .... Jaysus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Yesterday morning,up to Kilternan across to Sandyford,Whitechurch then up Cruagh Rd past and onto Featherbeds.Thought the wind was bad up till that but not a patch when I went up past the Lough and Kippure.
    Wasnt forecasted to be strong but by jaysus it nearly blew me to a standstill.Soldiered on to Laragh but had to stop for a few mins at Glenmacnass waterfall and marvel,gorgeous spot!
    Continued onto Laragh and back through Roundwood and Enniskerry.
    Would have been nice with a bit of company but still thoroughly enjoyed it,all 92kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

130Km and 1513 of climbing. My furthest ride ever! I had planned more climbing but due to my poor planning, the climb I started near lake Zug was better suited to either a mountain bike or a goat - straight up and all off-raod gravel and roots!
    Changed tack and rode around the lake, stopped for a sandwich and mars bar in Arth and then got lost when I got back to Zurich (as usual) in the city.
    My Garmin seems to only know one way home from the city so I got to go over the hill to Dubendorf, by FIFA HQ, which was a nice way to end...
    Had some cramps on one knee and thigh - never had that before, but I was wearing my winter boots and not my usual shoes that I got fitted in.

https://www.strava.com/activities/434768794

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

78k around Meath for me today. Felt terrible for the first 40mins or so but I will blame my painting bonanza yesterday and all those steps up and down te ladder. Found some energy and focus and kept it steady. It was breezy in places but I wasn't threatening strava so ignored the garmin. Feet got cold as I thought I wouldn't need overshoes about an hour from home. Then a puncture abouy 6k from home got me even colder. I resisted the urge to just call air support but I limped home with a squishy front tyre. I actually liked that pressure. Very smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

in the office!
    What happened with this? You were going checking the CCTV...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Passed my target distance of 3,000km for the year today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 frosty90

I was on my usual morning commute from Drumcondra to Dundrum this morning. Heading down Dorset street when out of nowhere the bike ended up 5 metres ahead of me down the road. I got up and noticed a strong smell of diesel. Turns out Diesel doesn't improve grip on Tarmac!
    To make matters worse, the nice new jacket I bought yesterday has 2 holes in the sleeve. Not a nice start to the day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Wanted to do the four ramps up to Tara for a while and go to do it yesterday, took it handy and finished just around sunset. Just a little damp apart from the crap the farmers drag out onto the road.

Check out my 39.7 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/435631631

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The cycle track north of the sam beckett bridge is still covered in glass. I've had 2 punctures there in the last month. Seriously considering going up there with a brush and sorting it myself. Changing my route just makes the commute longer, and I'm a man of routine god damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

cycle-sweeper-500x500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

frosty90 wrote: »
    I was on my usual morning commute from Drumcondra to Dundrum this morning. Heading down Dorset street when out of nowhere the bike ended up 5 metres ahead of me down the road. I got up and noticed a strong smell of diesel.

Where exactly on Dorset St.? I'll be heading that way later (just after dark) and I'd like to know where it is so I can do my best to avoid it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

First morning of the season I've had to wear gloves :( Tis finally winter!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement