Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

AA tweeted about ice and snow around sally gap last night, careful out there today folks

https://mobile.twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/667830718286827520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Thud wrote: »
    AA tweeted about ice and snow around sally gap last night, careful out there today folks

Stocking lane, spotted a patch of ice at viewing point but ventured up to Featherbeds anyway, sheets of ice everywhere so turned back. That was around 830 so might be fine after a few hours sunlight but be carefull. Unlike Bulmers, descending over ice is not fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

Thud wrote: »

They didn't lie, a lot of slush on the road from kippure down to the crossroads:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 frosty90

crosstownk wrote: »
    Where exactly on Dorset St.? I'll be heading that way later (just after dark) and I'd like to know where it is so I can do my best to avoid it!

Sorry I only saw this now. It was opposite the Auld Triangle heading towards town. I hope you didn't fall off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cycled from Rathfarnham to Enniskerry this afternoon, didn't even hit the hills as I was on a singlespeed. Just wanted to get out! I was wearing my Aldi winter cycling jacket that I picked up a month or so ago and it was finally in it's element. I felt I was able to keep warm, and open it up when I was putting some effort in. Nice day out there, but pretty cold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

23kms around Greystones this evening. Haven't been out much in the last two weeks so nice to be out! Have to say, there is just something about winter cycling that I love!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I was under a bit of time pressure today and my +1 was running late so I didn't get out on the road until just before 11. It was cold. That NW wind wasn't as bad as I'd expected but it did lend to the wind chill factor. 42km around Dublin and out to Newcastle and back through Saggart with my feet like blocks of ice despite overshoes. Thankfully a warm shower sorted them out.

While it was cold today, it wasn't anywhere near as cold as my spin home from work yesterday evening. My hands were freezing by the time I got home - so cold they were red - and then sore as the heat returned. Thankfully feeling returned before I lifted my first pint. I stuck with the Guinnes Mid Strength as I didn't want to completely fcuk up this morning's spin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

frosty90 wrote: »
    Sorry I only saw this now. It was opposite the Auld Triangle heading towards town. I hope you didn't fall off!

I was so cold on the way home last night that I forgot all about looking out for the diesel! I got home without incident. It was that cold that I reckon the diesel may have turned to wax. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    ... I didn't get out on the road until just before 11. It was cold....
    It was pretty cold when I headed to work at 6.30am. One of the very few mornings when I didn't feel the need to lower the zip on the winter jacket. The Garmin gave an average of 1 degree but with the wind chill, it felt a bit lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Any word on the Gap/ featherbeds today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Sun spin

not as cold as i thought it would be, really nice day overall, a bit gloomy up in the hills, looked nice back in Howth from top of Bohernabreena, but no rain some isolated wisps of sleet, only felt cold on top of BoherB

https://www.strava.com/activities/437367365

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

120km door to door taken in the Louth coastal tour . Got to exchange views with Irelands top ranked cyclist and the cycling Ireland president while supporting a good cause . Sure where would you get it !

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭YungKeo

I was forced into a ditch in order to avoid crashing straight into the back of a car that pulled out of a side road. Thankfully I got off lightly with only a few scrapes and a burning sense of anger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Haven't been on the bike for the last 3 weeks due to an ongoing arm injury and it was a few weeks before that to the previous cycle but I made up my mind I was going out today no matter what. I went up Seskin for the first time, tough enough but short ish. Then went up ballinascorney and over by Scurlocks Leap. I blew my gasket on that to get a PR and decided against the Sally Gap and Kippure, so I turned and went back up again and then down to the Bohernabreena Reservoir and had a ramble back along the shore before coming back and tackling Cunard.
    Christ, I died on that hill today. Had to stop to "take a photo". The few weeks lay off has done me no good. I found it cold enough out there, I was glad of the arm and leg warmers but could have done with a gilet for the chest on the descents. On the plus side my new 25mm Contis were a revelation. So much smoother than the cheap 23mm things I had on before.

A slow 60 km in about 3 hours something with nearly 1200m climbing https://www.strava.com/activities/437408054

Great to be back on the bike though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Left Shankill 8.30 in the direction of Sandyford then across Mt Venus rd and down to Ballycullen.Cool enough at that time.Everyone else going the opposite direction 😊
    Continued up Ballinascorney rd and across Brittas direction.Fair bit of crap on that rd.
    Down the n81 and swung left for the lake drive,stopped at the lake and ended up chatting to a few sound lads from Blessington.....the 'Resevoir Dogs' on their jerseys haha.
    Through Lacken and over the Wicklow Gap,bit damp and misty up the hills,lot of motorbikes whizzin bye,some at crazy speeds considering the time of year and conditions.
    Passed a few sheep along the way and managed the descent into Glendalough without passing anyone on the opposite side.Didnt touch the brakes till the junction at the bottom.......which was nice.....and rather exhillerating 😊
    Stopped in Laragh for a hot tea and then homeward.
    Once the sun came out it was a pleasure to be out on the bike today.
    112kms door to door.
    Cant beat a winter cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Had my first ever encounter with a helmet camera wearing, would-be vigilante road cop madman today. This guy was stopped waiting for a green light for a right hand filter. I was taking the same turn and the lights went green just before I got to the junction, so I thought "grand, I'll just go round his outside". Cue him screaming "Undertaking is illegal, even on bikes!!" at me. Thought no more of it until we locked our bikes fairly close to each other at college, where he came up to me and informed me that he had me on camera, would be handing it over to the Guards, and reminded me that I broke a red light last week (which I found deeply unsettling). Asked him what he thought the Guards would do with his ****ty helmet cam footage, and he said "well, more than anyone else is doing". His closing comment was "**** you (complete with flipped bird), I hope you die on the way home".

Sometimes ya just have to laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Had my first ever encounter with a helmet camera wearing, would-be vigilante road cop madman today. This guy was stopped waiting for a green light for a right hand filter. I was taking the same turn and the lights went green just before I got to the junction, so I thought "grand, I'll just go round his outside". Cue him screaming "Undertaking is illegal, even on bikes!!" at me. Thought no more of it until we locked our bikes fairly close to each other at college, where he came up to me and informed me that he had me on camera, would be handing it over to the Guards, and reminded me that I broke a red light last week (which I found deeply unsettling). Asked him what he thought the Guards would do with his ****ty helmet cam footage, and he said "well, more than anyone else is doing". His closing comment was "**** you (complete with flipped bird), I hope you die on the way home".

Sometimes ya just have to laugh :)

A tad unsettling alright, unusual to get such a lunatic on a bike in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I don't care what anyone says, that ALDI pro cycling gear from two years ago is the dog's bollix, for the money.

I can't comment on this years fare.

At 0-1 degrees yesterday my legs were lovely and normal, rather than warm or cold in the full leg'd bibs. With an aldi/lidl long sleeve base layer I was fine up top too, while wearing an Aldi winter jacket. Similar to the 20e one on offer this year but in white.

Managed to climb over 600m and do 32km over the last two mornings before work. Quite slowly though :/

I may not have a great face but I do like it attached to my skull.

It's winter!

Right... back to upgrading the software from v42.12 to 43.00.

It's Alpha :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Had hoped to head for the mountains before the weather got too bad but the gray skies and damp turned the wheel north-west instead. Turned off just before Trim and headed cross-country to Duleek. Got a bit lost soon after trying to keep off the main roads but eventually found Ardcath and headed home via the R130 and St Margarets. Don't know what trill the locals get from turning the signposts around but it's a right pain in the Assos.
    110k in 4:07' which is 26.6kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Beautiful day for it. Bray to Kilcoole, Newcastle, Rathnew, Ashford and back. Glorious morning. Only passed 2 others on bikes surprisingly (although I do appreciate that work gets in the way of some!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Weepsie wrote: »
    Day off work, woke up to see it was quite pleasant out, last forecast I'd checked said rain in the afternoon, but light in the morning. Out I went to the Naul and back, around 52 km. First leg out was enjoyable, though the first 5 km I struggled with some heavy legs. From the Naul back it started raining and the wind was brutal for about 15 km. Didn't enjoy some of the return due to that and some close passes so speed dropped a bit but glad to have gotten out for the first time in a while.

Was looking out at that rain and pitying anyone caught in it. Glad I got out yesterday even though it was damp and misty.

I try to avoid the Ballyboughal road and prefer the Oldtown (R122) and Garristown (R130) roads. They are certainly quieter and seem more enjoyable overall. The Glebe Road at Kilsallaghan is a handy link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

Did 50km out the coast to Dun Laoghaire, on to Killiney and home via Sandyford/Rathfarnham. I wouldnt be overly familiar with the roads so its nice to see somewhere new.
    i didnt expect the rain to get so heavy to be honest, forgetting my shoe covers was a big mistake. I expected a light drizzle for a few minutes but the last 90 minutes was continous. I quite enjoy cleaning the bike so now that I'm warm and have had my coffee it's time to get back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Wet one today, winds gusty from the southwest. Wore a flanders baselayer with gabba long sleeve and a pocket liner on top of that with Sorpasso windproof tights, perfect for the conditions. Did 44km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Kudos for anyone heading out today. Cold wet and Windy and i'm just about over the flu :(. An hour on the trainer will suffice. I'll chance it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

82 wet and windy kms on the Mullingar to Athlone Greenway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

62km this morning with 4 others from the club, cool wet and windy, a perfect test for the Galibier Mistral foul weather jacket I got recently, the more I've worn it the more impressed I've been but today was the first really foul day I've been out in it. Had a ls baselayer and a ss summer jersey on under it, was always completely comfortable and warm, yes some dampness got in, mostly wicking up from underneath and down the neck but when there is no windchill it really doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Just 20kms around Greystones this evening, but considering I was violently ill all day yesterday it's not so bad! Plus, I passed 5000kms for the year so, happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭smackyB

Did my longest and first organised event cycle today, 80km around half of Lake Taupo in NZ. 25km/h average which I'm happy with though my lower back was killing me for the last 25km so will need to sort that out before doing any more long distance stuff. Should probably invest in some cleats and shoes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I'm on the wimp list today. Picked up 'a knock' playing GAA yesterday. Looking out at that weather seems to have aggravated it. Might get on the indoor bike later, mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

smackyB wrote: »
    Did my longest and first organised event cycle today, 80km around half of Lake Taupo in NZ. 25km/h average which I'm happy with though my lower back was killing me for the last 25km so will need to sort that out before doing any more long distance stuff. Should probably invest in some cleats and shoes too!

Well done. A bike fit from someone experienced would be a good investment. Some lower back pains can be rectified from a proper bike position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement