Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

A strange day really, everything went opposite than normal.
    Head-wind into work, 2 close passes (I can't remember the last one in daily commuting) and then on the way home the traditional free-flowing sections I got stuck in traffic and vice-versa. The south circular road was jammers from St James to Kilmainham as normal but every car had left space for me to sail up the left of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Between family, work and weather, hadn't been out for awhile so snuck out up by stocking lane, the viewing point, back by the DSCPA, Tibradden road, Whitechurch and home. Very mild out there, but a bit weird heading out in the dark after bit being on the bike for a bit. Short and sweet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lovely morning this morning. A good spin and even beat the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

godtabh wrote: »

The rain was just starting to hit Dublin centre when I left this morning, so got wet, but not too badly. Had hoped to cycle to Dundrum to do some shopping after work, but that'll be very much weather permitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

more d1ckheads on the road than usual this morning I found , Orange jacket ,Yellow Luminous yellow leggings and my bike lit up like a Christmas tree but still i was invisible to some clowns on the road!!! grrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Cold and damp commute here. Was foggy and only 1 degree at 07.30 but that was better than the -5 one morning last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...and even beat the rain.
    The rain was just starting to hit Dublin centre when I left this morning, so got wet, but not too badly....
    Soaked to the skin a few kms into the 100k club ride this morning. Constant heavy rain so found it difficult to stay warm.

https://www.strava.com/activities/443625933

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Soaked to the skin a few kms into the 100k club ride this morning. Constant heavy rain so found it difficult to stay warm.

Did you fall off a cliff?

Did you fall off a cliff?
    Bloody dodgy Garmin elevation profile - corrected now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Couldn't have been a whole lot worse weather-wise. If it happens again the next time I am out, you know I have put a hex on things:)

• Advertisement

Couldn't have been a whole lot worse weather-wise. If it happens again the next time I am out, you know I have put a hex on things:)
    You chose a great day for you inaugural ride with us! :)

(BTW - There's usually more of us but the weaker ones wimped out this morning).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Just the 7k commute home, but there is some lunatic going up the grand canal in dublin about 10k/hr with everything covered in plastic bags - body, head, arms, fronts basket, panniers, handlebars pedals, the lot. Git stuck behind them for a few hundred metres and a few times they were nearly blown away with all the bags acting as sails!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It was lovely out this morning @ 6am. No one in work believed me! There was no wind and dry roads. It really was lovely, like an April morning. 4 degrees according to garmin.

I however did get caught when the rain started at about 6:45 and did get a tad wet but nothing that would leave puddles in the hall, thankfully.

Still 20km done with 354 meters climbed. Better than using a turbo!

It was lovely out this morning @ 6am. No one in work believed me! There was no wind and dry roads. It really was lovely, like an April morning. 4 degrees according to garmin.

I however did get caught when the rain started at about 6:45 and did get a tad wet but nothing that would leave puddles in the hall, thankfully.

Still 20km done with 354 meters climbed. Better than using a turbo!

6 am? you should have seen 5am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

retalivity wrote: »
    Just the 7k commute home, but there is some lunatic going up the grand canal in dublin about 10k/hr with everything covered in plastic bags - body, head, arms, fronts basket, panniers, handlebars pedals, the lot. Git stuck behind them for a few hundred metres and a few times they were nearly blown away with all the bags acting as sails!

I think I've seen the yer man with the plastic fetish around Dundrum - is he a Chinese or Asian guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

50kms this morning from Greystones out to Cornelscourt and back. Pretty wet n windy! Was thinking of heading up the Glenamuck road to Kilternan but it was getting really wild up there. A few hairy moments going back the n11 and that's where the rain really started! Still, nice to be out though. First night out in about six months tonight too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Just under two hours on the turbo. We're being hit really hard by that Desmond fella up here in Kendal. A lot of places are under a serious amount of water. Didn't mind the two hours on the turbo as much as the last time I did but even still it's pretty dull.

Well that was wet and windy 85km. Was worth it because I need to burn off the excess of a one year olds birthday party

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭YungKeo

80km done today, first time out for a proper spin in about 2 weeks. It's getting more and more difficult to get out between studying for the Leaving Cert and the horrendous weather we are having.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just under 80k with 1k climbing, Rathfarnham, Ballinscorney, Blessington, Poulaphuca, Lake drive and back home via Ballinscorney. Lovely day out, but my feet were freezing by the end of it. Lot of water on the back roads and a fair few trees down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Had a short 20km bolt around town at night during the week but my €20 front light failed me then fell off to be flattened by a car wheel.

Got out this morning for a decent spin of 65km at 28km/h average around the Clonmel - Carrick area, legs were lazy after a period of inactivity due to the weather but I did PR the pull up to Kilkenny Rd./Glenbower.

Forecast looks OK during the week and with a 2 - 10 shift I'm good for 2 spins at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Did the wicklow gap for the first time - very cold on the descent! Need proper winter gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ezra_ wrote: »
    Did the wicklow gap for the first time - very cold on the descent! Need proper winter gear

I was trying out a "new to me" but old'ish 2012/3 Pearl iZumi top, that I picked up for next to nothing, this morning and that was foremost in my mind.

Nice top and warm when you are cycling but I was not so sure when descending. But I didn't get cold as such, it was more a cooling feeling. or was I getting cold?

I wouldn't be so sure about it on a long descent but maybe it would be OK.

ehh... so 31km with 500m of climbing.

Fek your turbo trainer honda, I've a bike, somewhere!

ezra_ wrote: »

My feet were purple after this morning. It was a cold one with the wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Managed to get out this afternoon for a spin. From house a loop around coast road to Ballygarrett, killenagh, Gorey , Ballymoney ..courtown ,ballygarret ...home. 56km 24kmh average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Short and sweet up to Glencree, down to Enniskerry and back home. Lot of surface water and debris as expected in certain parts,treachorous on descents.
    Echo the comments above,my toes were freezing,even with overshoes.

First time using a Garmin this morning,really enjoyable(if a tad distracting) taking in the info whilst riding.

42k. 22kmh avg speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ticknock, Kilmashogue, Tibradden Lane, Cruagh, Bohernabreena / Friarstown. 60 km, 1450m.
    Tried to climb slowly and keep the HR in Z3. I achieved the slowly!!
    There was an awful lot of debris on the road surfaces in places, the descents were slow enough.
    First proper outing for the Boardsie hat. Ears warm and no sweat running into my eyes on the climbs - Great piece of kit.

https://www.strava.com/activities/445426442

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Ticknock, Kilmashogue, Tibradden Lane, Cruagh, Bohernabreena / Friarstown. 60 km, 1450m.
    Tried to climb slowly and keep the HR in Z3. I achieved the slowly!!
    There was an awful lot of debris on the road surfaces in places, the descents were slow enough.
    First proper outing for the Boardsie hat. Ears warm and no sweat running into my eyes on the climbs - Great piece of kit.

https://www.strava.com/activities/445426442

Z3?

Boardsie hat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

Z3?

Boardsie hat?

Z3 - Heart rate zone 3
    Boardsie hat - Just like it says on the tin I guess!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

G1032 wrote: »
    Z3 - Heart rate zone 3

Ah, thanks.
    Boardsie hat - Just like it says on the tin I guess!!

I have not seen this tin; a search on the site for "boardsie hat" doesn't bring any helpful results.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement