Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

First spin in 4 weeks. Horror weather is the only way to describe it. Got absolutely soaked and was getting a little cold at the end so was glad to get back in when I did.
    Wore them Aldi lobster gloves and they kept my hands warm, even when they soaked through.
    Managed 57.5km in a tad over two hours and threw in a climb at the end, just in case what went before wasn't bad enough :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Missed several Sundays over the past 6 weeks or so I madee a special effort to get out today despite poor weather. City centre-St. Margarets- Kilsallaghan-Garristown-Four nocks- Kaboom!! The bottom bracket self destructed just at the top of the Four nocks climb. I limped and free wheeled to the Naul and established it was beyond side of the road repair so called the missus and had two coffees and two slices of tea brack (mmmmmm....) in the coffee shop before getting a lift home to a constant......'you and your f****ing cycling'.....aah well, there's always next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My day got off to a disastrous start before I got near the bike. I was in the bathroom getting ready for the usual Sunday club ride when I suddenly felt faint and collapsed whacking my forehead and nose off the shower tray. Came round when blood started running to my eye. Lovely deep cut running diagonally down from above my left eye and across my nose. I didn't bother with any medical attention - now I'm told it will leave a noticeable scar as it hasn't been sutured. :eek:
    01Surveyor wrote: »
    .. The bottom bracket self destructed...
    Very unusual for a BB to suddenly self-destruct. They usually give a bit of notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

50km on a flatish* trip around west wicklow.

Not the best of weather for it, nor a particularly noteworthy spin but every km helps, right?!

*Depends if talking to other people from Wicklow or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

My day got off to a disastrous start before I got near the bike. I was in the bathroom getting ready for the usual Sunday club ride when I suddenly felt faint and collapsed whacking my forehead and nose off the shower tray. Came round when blood started running to my eye. Lovely deep cut running diagonally down from above my left eye and across my nose. I didn't bother with any medical attention - now I'm told it will leave a noticeable scar as it hasn't been sutured. :eek:

Very unusual for a BB to suddenly self-destruct. They usually give a bit of notice.

Jaysus. Get well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Typical tough man syndrome. I did that before to a cut on the knee that ended up taking 3-4 months to heal. 14 years later and still have a scare from something that could have been treated very easily.

Get better soon. Get the fainting checked out

The fainting is worrying - get that checked out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

godtabh wrote: »
    Typical tough man syndrome. I did that before to a cut on the knee that ended up taking 3-4 months to heal. 14 years later and still have a scare from something that could have been treated very easily.

+1.

Although I checked the Audax Ireland feed to see how far his cycle was after.

I thought you had up to 24hrs for stitches/steri strips. I've had a lot of them from a previous life, but I'm no medic.

godtabh wrote: »

ezra_ wrote: »
    The fainting is worrying - get that checked out!
    ford2600 wrote: »
    +1.

Although I checked the Audax Ireland feed to see how far his cycle was after.

I thought you had up to 24hrs for stitches/steri strips. I've had a lot of them from a previous life, but I'm no medic.
    At Mrs WA's insistence, I contacted D Doc this evening. They said that after a few hours stitching is not done as it will only lead to infection. Will go to a GP during the week and get a full NCT done. Thanks lads. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It probably hasn't healed fully if you clean it out again and get yourself a set of paper stitches they'll do a grand job. I've used them on many a cut and so far all bar one (the one the wife did) has turned out very neat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

At Mrs WA's insistence, I contacted D Doc this evening. They said that after a few hours stitching is not done as it will only lead to infection. Will go to a GP during the week and get a full NCT done. Thanks lads. :)

Are you sure the fainting wasn't caused my Mrs WA hitting you over the head with a frying pan, cause you woke her up at 0 dark hundred to go for cycle.

bazermc wrote: »
    Are you sure the fainting wasn't caused my Mrs WA hitting you over the head with a frying pan, cause you woke her up at 0 dark hundred to go for cycle.
    She slept through it all (as usual). Had to wake her with my face covered in blood! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Did the Gheimhridh 200 audax today. It was damp and mucky but the bacon sandwiches at the end were fantastic.

That caps off 24 audax rides of 200km or more in 24 months, one a month for two years!

Hi to ford2600 and thanks to _cdaly for the lift out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Jeez fella take it handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

She slept through it all (as usual). Had to wake her with my face covered in blood! :D

Lucky her :eek: I suppose there was no fear of her nodding off again anyway!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bazermc wrote: »

I usually get things thrown at me when I do that in the morning. A phone had to be retired after one instance

It did.... chain rubbing against the front mech. I just figured it needed adjusting as I hadnt used the bike since last winter, it was a thread-less unit that just came apart.

Ouch that sound bad, hope you're OK and don't end up with Blind Eye..........geddit?
    Twin lead guitars.....great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

My day got off to a disastrous start before I got near the bike. I was in the bathroom getting ready for the usual Sunday club ride when I suddenly felt faint and collapsed whacking my forehead and nose off the shower tray.

Nasty. Blood pressure ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Did 50km from Dundrum - Glencree and back over Military Road. It was only with I got to Kilternan and it started raining I realised I didn't have my waterproof gloves on.

I was really enjoying the cycle in the wet on the way out, then the gloves got saturated and the hands started to get cold. Had no choice but to take the gloves off on the road back towards Foxes pub.

Hands got numb with the cold and the rain got heavier. Was really dodgy on the descent back into Kilternan. By the time I got back to Dundrum I was shivering with the cold and my hands were in pain!

The hot shower was probably the nicest I've ever had. Tips of fingers were still a bit sore late last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

The first 5k was dryish. Then it started to lash good and proper. Got soaked but I stayed warm and did 58k. Got home and had the most delicious shower and cuppa ever. Glad to be out as I missed weekend spins. I am sure every driver that saw me probably thought I was completely cracked in the head. (Sorry WA, bad pun)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sorry to hear about your woes, and hope you've a speedy recovery. Nothing like a nice scar to complete the rugged look, just tell anyone who asks that the other guy looked much worse :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time spin up Cruagh to Foxes, Kilternan and back for 26k with 440m climbing. Incredibly mild out there for December and really struggled up Cruagh with too many layers on. A bit blowy with lots of surface water, but all things considered, fantastic cycling weather for this time of year. Seriously need to lose some poundage and Christmas hasn't even started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

smacl wrote: »
    Lunch time spin up Cruagh to Foxes, Kilternan and back for 26k with 440m climbing. Incredibly mild out there for December and really struggled up Cruagh with too many layers on. A bit blowy with lots of surface water, but all things considered, fantastic cycling weather for this time of year. Seriously need to lose some poundage and Christmas hasn't even started!

Very hard to dress correctly for this weather. I was sweating going to work with a short sleeve base lase layer and a windproof cycling jacket but i'd reckon the wind is too strong to just use a cycling jersey since i'm carrying a cold the last while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Jumped at the chance to get out in decent weather for a change and headed for the mountains. Tackled Three Rock and Kilmashogue, both for the first time. Like many first timers, I thought I had broken the back of Kilmashogue once I got a few hundred metres past the car park but kept going just to see where the road went. J*sus, that last bit is tough - shows as 18% on Strava but felt worse. Cruagh nearly felt flat after that so I headed for the Feather Beds with Kippure in mind.

By the time I finished lunch in Glencree, the wind had come up and the rain was starting to come down so I headed down the south side of the Glencree valley instead. As smacl says, there was plenty of surface water but the surface isn't too bad (yet). Decided to add the Wall to the day's climbs (must have been the delayed effect of the tea brack). Found the lower section not too bad but struggled on the upper bit. Glad to head down the Old Long Hill and into Enniskerry before heading back cross town.

80k in 4:09' = 19.3kph but with 1572m of climbing. https://www.strava.com/activities/451179209/overview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Very hard to judge what to wear today it was so mild. A lot of surface water on the North Wicklow roads. They were cleaning an oil spill off the N11 southbound at Glen O'Downs but beware there's still plenty of oil on the hard shoulder just south of the Delgany off ramp.

65km Bray, Ashford, Glenealy, Coyne's Cross and several criss crosses under the N11 back to Bray.

Passed over the 4000km barrier for the year (3200km was the target) and I'm now at 48km of climbing (40km was the target).

Very happy all round. This global warming lark is great stuff altogether (sometimes)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Headed up the Blooms today. The wind was a bitch. Beautiful part of the country but almost no shelter on the way up The Cut and Wolftrap. I'd say the wind was worth about another 3% on the climbs. Wasn't cold though, not summer or anything but still lovely for December.
    I had great notions of doing a big spin but the wind, lack of form and a horrible noise that started coming from the BB near the top of the Wolftrap put paid to that so I turned in Kinnity and spun back to the start. Took off the cranks when I got home - BB bearings not healthy at all. I'll be doing a bit of secret spending this week I think. On a plus, my arm was pain free for the first time since October

A slow enough 48km, 635m climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/453447668

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cross race at Punchestown today, great circuit with nice mix of mud and technical sections.
    Fun, fun fun (now to clean the bike !)

60 odd k spin around West wicklow, took in the lakes and punchestown.

Roads were filthy, I was filthy and the bike is very, very filthy.

Nice last spin before Christmas though - but really not looking forward to the one after Christmas...

Honorable mention to the wind who managed to be a headwind for 2/3 of a circular route :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

City Centre-Brittas-Blessington - murderous head wind must have averaged about 10k.
    Blessington-Eadestown-Naas-Sallins-Clane-Celbridge-Lucan-City Centre.
    80+k completely knackered.
    The traffic was terrible. Despite the wind it was mild.
    One of the hardest spins I've done for a while, all due to the wind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement