Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out to phoenix park with the intention of doing 2 hrs this morning. Didnt realise there some lord mayors race on and half the roads are closed, plus it started pissing rain 10 mins after i left. Was soaken wet after a while and cried off home having only done 17k.
    Up earlier tomorrow to try and beat the rain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone able to confirm road conditions around, Carrick on Suir? Trying to plan a route for tomorrow's spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

33Km around Newcastle & Baldonnell.

A bit of light rain and wind but mild and enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Windy, cold, wet, flooded roads, 40 km today. Went out and finished off 2015 yesterday with short cold 30km to bring myself almost 500km over my target so delighted with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just 30k today, down to Poolbeg and back. Wad fairly nippy so was glad to see Mr.Hobbs Coffee van down on the wall. Had a coffee and a yap and sprinted for home when I spotted the rain coming down over the hills.
    Roads down there have a lot of sand on them so had to rinse off the bike as soon as I got in, might call it a day with the spins down there, serious amount of sand came off the cassette and that's just a cutting compound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

45K around Lucan-Maynooth.

Lovely and mild and roads quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

60k today first cycle in a few weeks kept it nice and flat until I get a bit of fitness back
    Tallaght, lucan, maynooth, staffan , celbridge and home . Lovely mild day a couple flooded roads along the back roads of lucan/leixslip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

jober wrote: »
    60k today first cycle in a few weeks kept it nice and flat until I get a bit of fitness back
    Tallaght, lucan, maynooth, staffan , celbridge and home . Lovely mild day a couple flooded roads along the back roads of lucan/leixslip

I did pretty much exactly the same apart from the lucan stretch. Lots of people out and about until the far side of Newcastle after which I didn't see another cyclist for the rest of the spin. Only had one light rain shower, grand day for it

Also scarred the bejaysis out of a lady on a horse. She was riding in the middle of the road taking up a primary position coming up to a bridge. I was going to hang back but decided there was more than enough room to slip passed, gave her a call to say I was passing left and gave her a shock. I'd have been better saying nothing I think and I'd have scarred her less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Crocked wrote: »

Also scarred the bejaysis out of a lady on a horse. She was riding in the middle of the road taking up a primary position coming up to a bridge. I was going to hang back but decided there was more than enough room to slip passed, gave her a call to say I was passing left and gave her a shock. I'd have been better saying nothing I think and I'd have scarred her less!

I've had this dilemma with people on foot, on a shared path or track. I'm never quite sure whether to let them know or just breeze through and get past them before they have time to react. Usually on paths, do let them know, but I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

RainyDay wrote: »
    I've had this dilemma with people on foot, on a shared path or track. I'm never quite sure whether to let them know or just breeze through and get past them before they have time to react. Usually on paths, do let them know, but I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

Was cycling the back roads of Enniskerry a while back,the Oonagh bridge one, start of the 'full wall',2 Mums out walking pushing buggies,yapping away as they do.I knew they couldnt hear me so about approx 10feet from them i said 'morning ladies' to kinda let them know and avoid startling them.......my jaysus did the one on the left jump,she freaked out,really got a fright.
    I apologised and kept going but they got a real fright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

After a busy week I was feeling a bit lazy this morning so didn't get out of bed in time for the club spin, instead took myself over to the wind farm at Mt Lucas and took the road bike down the gravel paths to the base of a couple of the turbines, I'd been there before but as part of a guided tour on a busy day, today I had the place mostly to myself, met one MTBer who had come in from the Walsh Island side.

Impressive spot, whatever your feelings towards them.

Felt abit like a turbine on the way home, seemed to be catching plenty of wind.....

https://www.strava.com/activities/462079549

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Had a 'welcome back' spin of 70k out around Wicklow / Kildare.

Had never gone past the 60k mark before and the last 10k really hurt. Lovely day though - the weather opened up just as we left, glad I got up while the rain and wind was rattling the windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

71kms this morning. Greystones Rathnew Glenealy Deputies Pass Wicklow Town Greystones. Felt really great after about 5 weeks of sickness, thought I would never feel right again! Absolutely glorious weather for a spin. Roads were wet especially around the back of Newtownmountkennedy. They were like rivers! Delighted to be back in the game!

https://www.strava.com/activities/462083538/overview

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Handy 55kms, was almost chickening out of a spin when I looked outside at 0900, glad I went out though as was lovely in the end..
    First coffee stop of 2016 too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

RobFowl wrote: »
    Handy 55kms, was almost chickening out of a spin when I looked outside at 0900, glad I went out though as was lovely in the end..
    First coffee stop of 2016 too :)

Sure what impact could outside have had on your freewheeling turbo session?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Crocked wrote: »

Make noise early so rider and horse have time to react...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055803046
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59974968

25kms of absolute sprinting for me today between the gates along the grand canal with a heavy backpack full of gym gear. About to go lift all the weights now. This fat dude is gonna smash Hell and Back on January 31st ☺

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sure what impact could outside have had on your freewheeling turbo session?

Working hard on that as we speak...

535227_10153324284383317_2594320039342439441_n.jpg?oh=c1a3dc8e7f236af8e7a40282df1c189d&oe=570CF67D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Will I won't I. Debated with myself this morning on the pros and cons of heading out for a spin. Standing on the weighing scales was the motivation and the sun was shining. Also had a job to do, parents are away for the Xmas. So I said I would check on the house. Long story short. Here I lay on a trolley in Tallaght hospital. Suspected fractured wrist and a severely bruised back. I'm in ribbons. Bike potentially write off. Helmet saved my life. Lesson today, nerver assume a driver will stop when entering a roundabout when you are on it. Be careful out there.

Dinging wrote: »
    Will I won't I. Debated with myself this morning on the pros and cons of heading out for a spin. Standing on the weighing scales was the motivation and the sun was shining. Also had a job to do, parents are away for the Xmas. So I said I would check on the house. Long story short. Here I lay on a trolley in Tallaght hospital. Suspected fractured wrist and a severely bruised back. I'm in ribbons. Bike potentially write off. Helmet saved my life. Lesson today, nerver assume a driver will stop when entering a roundabout when you are on it. Be careful out there.

Jesus, get well soon. Report to police and contact a solicitor asap. Also if a CI member report accident in case insurance needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

cdaly_ wrote: »

I thought I had, but in hindsight after I'd passed, I think I made too loud a shout to close to her.

Thanks for the links, I'll have a read through them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Christ - hope that you get well soon and also nail the driver with the cost of the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Jesus, get well soon. Report to police and contact a solicitor asap. Also if a CI member report accident in case insurance needed.

Hope you make a quick recovery Dinging. My solicitor recommended I deal directly with the Injuries Board in a similar case. They were very helpful and I was quite happy with their award. I have PMed you with more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Sorry to hear that, get well soon.

Like you I dithered this morning as the sound of lashing rain on the rooflight at 08.00 was off putting. However by 10 the sun was out so off I went.
    City-St.Margarets-Killslaghan-Garristown-Moorpark-Curragha-Ratoath-Kilbride-City.
    A lovely flat gentle 65+k ....a distance and pace that very much reflected the Christmas excess but at least it blew the cobwebs away.
    Had to stop on the drag up to Garristown, just before Fieldstown farm as there was a landrover upside down in a deep ditch, got the door open but there was no one in it.....must have been a last night event, but best to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Working hard on that as we speak...

535227_10153324284383317_2594320039342439441_n.jpg?oh=c1a3dc8e7f236af8e7a40282df1c189d&oe=570CF67D

Does that cup say ars.com?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

60km done first 2 hours on flooded roads dried up at 11am and it was actually pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

bazermc wrote: »
    Does that cup say ars.com?

Sportsdirect.com mug, I'd guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Really sorry to read about your incident, heartbreaking tbh. :( Hope you get well soon. As someone who suffered a similar incident last January, I'll send you a PM later.

Always deal with the insurance, that is why people have it, as much as that deludes them.

Jeepers hope you're recovery is speedy, doesn't sound like a nice experience at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ouch - hope you're doing OK, and I hope the driver is being decent about it. No chance you had a helmetcam running, by any chance?

I had a very pleasant 37k spin around SoCoDu and over the Wicklow border this afternoon - lovely conditions, bright and clear, though with a lot of water underfoot. I went up Herenford Lane (past Stephen Roche's old house) and over the gate to go along the forest track. I had to dismount and walk through a forest when my intended track was blocked by a large, muddy flood, ironically at the highest point of my route. But a lovely way to spend a couple of hours all the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement