Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

50km today, first proper spin since October. Rathfarnham - Enniskerry - Kilmac - Bray - Shankill - Home via Dundrum. A fair number of very wet patches - the Scalp was flooded but not impassable. Cycling kit and bike are now filthy, but it wasn't cold outside, so a nice spin. Also got to test out my new Castelli kit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Dinging wrote: »
    Will I won't I. Debated with myself this morning on the pros and cons of heading out for a spin. Standing on the weighing scales was the motivation and the sun was shining. Also had a job to do, parents are away for the Xmas. So I said I would check on the house. Long story short. Here I lay on a trolley in Tallaght hospital. Suspected fractured wrist and a severely bruised back. I'm in ribbons. Bike potentially write off. Helmet saved my life. Lesson today, nerver assume a driver will stop when entering a roundabout when you are on it. Be careful out there.

Literally the exact same thing happened to me at a roundabout a couple of years ago. As above contact AGS but DO NOT waste your money on a solicitor. Absolutely unnecessary at this stage. If you need assistance or advice at ANY time don't hesitate to contact me via PM and I'll give you a dig out in complete confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

Get well soon, Dining. The feeling of disbelief in other people actions is all to familiar. I have this particular T intersection on my commute, where people try to overtake me on the turn, going to same direction. close calls every week. Noise, lights and eye contact somehow doesn't work on idiocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Update in my little knock yesterday afternoon. No cycling today, no cycling for a while. Fractured wrist, in a cast for 6 weeks. More serious is a compressed L1 lumbar on my back. I am now wearing a full back brace and looks like wil be doing so for up to 12 weeks. No driving, cycling, very little activity, this thing is like body armour but fitted very tightly to the body. Will be off work for at minimum 3 weeks. Disastrous start to the new year. Pain is manageable but constant. Be careful out there. Dinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

And a whole in the sleeve of my coveted Castelli Gabba 2 jacket. So peed of about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Update in my little knock yesterday afternoon. No cycling today, no cycling for a while. Fractured wrist, in a cast for 6 weeks. More serious is a compressed L1 lumbar on my back. I am now wearing a full back brace and looks like wil be doing so for up to 12 weeks. No driving, cycling, very little activity, this thing is like body armour but fitted very tightly to the body. Will be off work for at minimum 3 weeks. Disastrous start to the new year. Pain is manageable but constant. Be careful out there. Dinging.

Get well soon fella!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Spin around Wicklow taking in Slieve Mann & Shay Elliot.
    Very mild,lovely and sunny until Aughrim,rain from there to Mann then cleared up down in Glenmalure.
    Love the scenery around that neck of the woods spoiled somewhat by the amount of rubbish dumped on the roadsides and down the ravines.
    Some filthy barstewards out there!!
    Shameful.

76.1 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/462882991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Man, that's tough going, particularly the spinal injury. Does it look like the driver will be covering your costs (including the beloved Gabba jacket).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

RainyDay wrote: »
    Man, that's tough going, particularly the spinal injury. Does it look like the driver will be covering your costs (including the beloved Gabba jacket).

Her/His insurance company will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

And a whole in the sleeve of my coveted Castelli Gabba 2 jacket. So peed of about that.

Well at least you have your priorities right though. That's something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When I was hit by a motorist doing a right turn in 2012, her insurance company divided the claim into two sections, the first of which was material damages. These included my bike, clothing, helmet etc. and they paid out within a few weeks. It was a nice bit of peace of mind while the rest of me was under repair! :) Get well soon.

(Also note that if the insurance company 'writes off' your bike, they may offer to sell it back to you as they have no use for it. I was offered mine for €50. Even if the bike is badly damaged, many of the components will be intact and useful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

When I was hit by a motorist doing a right turn in 2012, her insurance company divided the claim into two sections, the first of which was material damages. These included my bike, clothing, helmet etc. and they paid out within a few weeks. It was a nice bit of peace of mind while the rest of me was under repair! :) Get well soon.

(Also note that if the insurance company 'writes off' your bike, they may offer to sell it back to you as they have no use for it. I was offered mine for €50. Even if the bike is badly damaged, many of the components will be intact and useful).

Same as that pretty much. Also remember OP, that if you had a GPS working, it will remove any ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Update in my little knock yesterday afternoon. No cycling today, no cycling for a while. Fractured wrist, in a cast for 6 weeks. More serious is a compressed L1 lumbar on my back. I am now wearing a full back brace and looks like will be doing so for up to 12 weeks. No driving, cycling, very little activity, this thing is like body armour but fitted very tightly to the body. Will be off work for at minimum 3 weeks. Disastrous start to the new year. Pain is manageable but constant. Be careful out there. Dinging.

It sounds like 'little knock' is something of an understatement, the important thing is that you recover now so take it easy.
    I'm sure we'd all love to hear the details of your accident so that we can learn from your misfortune....however the usual advice seems to be not to discuss details of accidents on line.......Big Brother may be watching!!

If you are 'blessed' with a loving better half for God's sake don't spurn the opportunity by downplaying your suffering, exploit the circumstances fully.....
    I got a sympathy pass to the Tour De France under somewhat similar circumstances in the 80's..........aaaaaah the memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Why would they sell you back your own property?
    Her/His insurance company will.
    I hope so, but it generally depends on a whole pile of things, including driver attitude, witnesses, helmetcam, gps etc etc - which is why I asked the question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

RainyDay wrote: »
    Why would they sell you back your own property?

I hope so, but it generally depends on a whole pile of things, including driver attitude, witnesses, helmetcam, gps etc etc - which is why I asked the question.

If it's written off, they pay you the insured price, the remnants then become their property as you have been reimbursed your insured losses, they can then try to mitigate their losses by selling it as scrap, usually with the previous owner having first refusal. They are however, not obligated to sell it to you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

56k with good lads today.
    Makes you appreciate where we live and the fact that we are lucky to be in good health :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time scoot up by Johnny Foxes and really feeling the climbing with the extra Christmas poundage. 22k at a lamentable 20kph with 430m climbing. Not good, but a nice low base line to improve on over the coming weeks and months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

RobFowl wrote: »
    56k with good lads today.
    Makes you appreciate where we live and the fact that we are lucky to be in good health :)

Think I preferred the Rob ' grumpy auld bollix ' Fowl ' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Twas a bit nippy out there. I was well wrapped up but started to feel the cold for the last 15k or so. I had also forgotten how long that draggy road from Tara to Dunshaughlin is, almost 5k of grinding. Happy to get home but took ages to heat up even after a shower and a cuppa. Bike needs a good wash now but tomorrow is another day. Someone in our club posted the 30minute GCN bike wash video, Simon makes it look all so easy and almost enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Luxman wrote: »
    Twas a bit nippy out there. I was well wrapped up but started to feel the cold for the last 15k or so. I had also forgotten how long that draggy road from Tara to Dunshaughlin is, almost 5k of grinding. Happy to get home but took ages to heat up even after a shower and a cuppa. Bike needs a good wash now but tomorrow is another day. Someone in our club posted the 30minute GCN bike wash video, Simon makes it look all so easy and almost enjoyable.

Headed out to Tara via Kilcock and Trim but only really warmed up after a great bowl of soup at Maguire's in Tara. Don't remember the road to Dunshaughlin being too bad (I went around by Kileen Castle) but I thought from there into Clonee seemed to go on forever. I think there was a slight southerly breeze too which didn't help. That old Navan Road (R147) has joined the old North Road (R132) on my list of routes to be avoided on solo spins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Work from home at the min so thought I'd go for a sneaky MTB spin down the woods for lunch, as it was fairly nice out at that stage, and needed to stretch the legs, got kitted out helmet, pads, dog in tow on lead etc etc, all super excited to be going on a sneaky spin, out of the office, into freedom and the wilds of Wicklow, went to shed and discovered I had a pinch flat.

The dog was so disappointed.

Trying to adjust the body clock back to pre work/breakfast spins. Not easy when you look out the window these days, though this morning was fine tbh. I seem to have the base layer/Jacket/glove combo sussed for the time being too.

21km done with 366m of climbing. Kind of nice watching Dublin "wake up" via lights/brightness between 6-7am as you get to the top of Stocking Ave, which I did x 3.

Every little counts! Plus I have about 1.5kg of Cheese'mas Cheese to lose.

I like cheese, not that smelly stuff, just cheddar with "mature" or "Vintage" written on it.

Or in a Black packet.

Those cheese marketing people have me nailed, b'stards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I like cheese, not that smelly stuff,

You can't beat a decent bit of Cashel Blue.

I've SuperValu cheese selection box in the fridge that I need to turn my attention to before it expires but I need to shake this poxy head cold first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Had to spin out to Bray for a meeting...weather was challenging.

The dry socks I though I'd left at the location do not exist.

Trying not to shiver visibly, still have to make the return leg....yr.no says it will be raining even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

yr.no says it will be raining even more.

And windier but hopefully somewhat behind you which may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

crosstownk wrote: »
    And windier but hopefully somewhat behind you which may help.

Well then some weather happened.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Usual lunch time up Cruagh to Foxes and back down, cold and windy but otherwise nice out with plenty of cyclists on the road. Great fun ripping through the big puddles at speed on pine forest road however childish that may seem, but still struggling going up the hills. Hopefully a couple of weeks of regular climbs along removal of beer from the diet will sort this. Hopefully....

smacl wrote: »
    Usual lunch time up Cruagh to Foxes and back down, cold and windy but otherwise nice out with plenty of cyclists on the road. Great fun ripping through the big puddles at speed on pine forest road however childish that may seem, but still struggling going up the hills. Hopefully a couple of weeks of regular climbs along removal of beer from the diet will sort this. Hopefully....

Why would you remove beer? That's just silly talk

Why would you remove beer? That's just silly talk

My cycling is actually fuelled by Tyskie Beer, believe it or not.

Great beer!

• Advertisement

My cycling is actually fuelled by Tyskie Beer, believe it or not.

Great beer!

Wind assistance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement