Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Only had an hour and a half spare today but got out for a spin. Mad wind was taking me all over the place so I'm glad it was a short one.
    First outing with raceblades fitted and I'm impressed with them. They work better than the cruds I've used before, but might be more of a pain when it comes to getting a puncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

BrianjG wrote: »
    So today I learned,

* Weatherproof is NOT the same as waterproof, my Altura jacket was fantastic but my Lidl pants were useless!

Yes indeed, I learned that lesson about Lidl pants the hard way too. Really, they do nothing at all. Fortunately, Altura also make excellent water-proof pants, I wear them every day on my commute and I'm very very pleased with them. I've worn them in monsoon level rain and I was still bone-dry on the inside.

Also, definitely get some good overshoes! BBB are my favourite for overshoes, but Northwave look good too. Altura overshoes I find are a bit loose fitting, but they're what I'm using for commuting now and they do ok.

http://www.altura.eu/products/men/waterproof-trousers/night-vision-waterproof-trousers.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Out for a break here in Murcia Spain, just done 28KM on a suspension mountain bike thats weighs about the same as a small car! Beautiful day for a cycle, 20 degree's, and done on a deserted canal road. Oh how I miss my Forme road bike though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

went up Sally Gap. Probably shouldn't have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

elduggo wrote: »
    I'm assuming you made it back again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

elduggo wrote: »

What was it like up there? Just a little too windy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

80k through the misty rain, nice headwind on the way back, some nice little bumps and drags, miserable day for it, but really enjoyed it. Downside is I had to light a fire when I got home as I just cant seem to get warm

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

Went from Dublin to Enniskerry in cold, wet, and pretty windy conditions. Came down the Monastery Road at a ridiculous speed considering the weather. I was proud for handling the corners so well, but terrified. Looking at Google maps the descent doesn't even seem that technical, but most of the corners had a nice film of water on them, and taking them at 45-57km/hr was not a good idea in retrospect.

Briando wrote: »
    What was it like up there? Just a little too windy?

about 2 inches of snow on the ground at the very top. Could get by in the tyre tracks, but it was so wet with slush that it was just unpleasant. Think it was to snow again later on today.

Biggest problem though was the rubble on the road and all the new potholes there since the last time I was up (3 weekends ago).

I'm assuming you made it back again?

aye, I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

A nice 90km with 1,158m of climbing. Left Killarney with wind to the back, group holding a nice 40km/hr+. After Castlemaine turned into the mountains. Oh god, what a slight. About 4km climbing with gradient hitting 18% in some places. Reckon on average its over 10%.

On way down, lad in front went down, no where for me to go. Into the back wheel which lead to my first crash on the road bike. Managed to slow down a good bit before hitting. It was strange, flying through the air in slow mo. As soon as I hit the ground, I was straight up. Why? Sure it wasn't a race! Body not to bad, just a cut on the knee and hand. However the bike took the bulk of the damage. Left shifter bent and scratched.

Only a bit of metal, easy to replace.

DSCF1808_zps94bb37dd.jpg

DSCF1809_zpsaeff863b.jpg

Back on the road and that bloody headwind took its toll. Struggled all the way home. Was so happy seeing the town and the short spin back to the house.

Now off to buy new shifters, bar tape and a present to celebrat my first crash :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

okane1 wrote: »
    A nice 90km with 1,158m of climbing. Left Killarney with wind to the back, group holding a nice 40km/hr+. After Castlemaine turned into the mountains. Oh god, what a slight. About 4km climbing with gradient hitting 18% in some places. Reckon on average its over 10%.

On way down, lad in front went down, no where for me to go. Into the back wheel which lead to my first crash on the road bike. Managed to slow down a good bit before hitting. It was strange, flying through the air in slow mo. As soon as I hit the ground, I was straight up. Why? Sure it wasn't a race! Body not to bad, just a cut on the knee and hand. However the bike took the bulk of the damage. Left shifter bent and scratched.

Only a bit of metal, easy to replace.

DSCF1808_zps94bb37dd.jpg

DSCF1809_zpsaeff863b.jpg

Back on the road and that bloody headwind took its toll. Struggled all the way home. Was so happy seeing the town and the short spin back to the house.

Now off to buy new shifters, bar tape and a present to celebrat my first crash :P

Hope you are ok okane1? That sounded nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Quick 10km spin as I dont feel I have the endurance at the moment to go for a longer spin after only just comiing over a cold.
    However, I got 3rd place on a popular 2.8km segment which I'm pretty chuffed about :D Especially as I've only been cycling for 3 months now. It can only get better :)
    http://app.strava.com/segments/1958925

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Did a tough, fast 100km with the club yesterday. Averaged over 32km/h in that wind, which I was very pleased with, and had a very tasty coffee slice along the way.
    This morning's commute however, was a serious slog. Freezing headwind all the way, weary legs and at least 10 minutes slower than usual. Still though, should be at my back on the way home later. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭secman

Did a short 43km spin yesterday, twas very colddddddddddddd. tips of my toes were the coldest parts............ house - killenagh- Ballycanew- Gorey- Courtown- Balygarrett- Kilmuckridge- back to house...... on my todd.........cold turned the rest off ! Nice and dry though, delighted i got out.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Was it this one? Went up it last week into a f*cker of a headwind, hence the pitiful average.

http://app.strava.com/segments/731980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Cycled to work (ballycoolin) this morning (only 10 km) as i do everyday.When I got there, I realised I have no keys on me, so i couldn't lock my bike. Rang wife, she was already on her way to work. So had to cycle to Swords to pick up the keys from her and get back to work.
    All together 50 km I did, and wind didn't make it easier :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

cold! I thought after the des hanlon yesterday i couldnt get much colder but i was wrong. Having to change a puncture at the top of cruagh road, i really couldnt feel my fingers. They are still numb!! Lovely cycle tho.

Was it this one? Went up it last week into a f*cker of a headwind, hence the pitiful average.

http://app.strava.com/segments/731980

Thats the one. For some strange reason, I'm ranked 5th on it!!

Amprodude wrote: »
    Hope you are ok okane1? That sounded nasty.

To be honest I'm grand. Used a few cuts and a sore stiff shoulder. Lucky been a swimmer, I've plenty of padding in that area! Could have been a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

To be honest I'm grand. Used a few cuts and a sore stiff shoulder. Lucky been a swimmer, I've plenty of padding in that area! Could have been a lot worse.

Any fall from a bike can be quite nasty. Glad you are ok all the same and that it hasnt put a stop to your cycling or swimming training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Off work today and did my first non commute cycle, felt great not having my bag weighting me down. I decided to go along some routes I hadn't cycled since I was a kid. The morning sunshine was glorious however the same houses that had dogs which chased me as a kid had dogs which chased me as an adult making for some impromptu sprinting. Only did 27K but enjoyed it very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

BrianjG wrote: »
    Off work today and did my first non commute cycle, felt great not having my bag weighting me down. I decided to go along some routes I hadn't cycled since I was a kid. The morning sunshine was glorious however the same houses that had dogs which chased me as a kid had dogs which chased me as an adult making for some impromptu sprinting. Only did 27K but enjoyed it very much.

I use my second water bottle (when there is something in it) to give the doggies a drink in the eye if I deem them a threat - or they can outsprint me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

A new milestone has been reached as of a little of an hour ago :)
    I decided to hit the road this morning and try out the new Garmin + accessories which I got last week. Started cycling and kind of forgot to stop!
    My normal commute to work is approximately 16km so when I hit the 35km mark I said to myself it would be rude not to make 50km for the first time :)
    Completed a round trip from Howth -> Fairview -> Malahide -> Portmarnock -> Howth Summit climb -> Howth.
    Had to do a couple of loop backs towards the end to get my distance but managed it in the end. My only disappointment is that it took me 5mins over the 2hr mark but hey Im happy enough with my first run for a novice!
    Next week, 100KM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hatcho

Went out for a pedal around Kildare with herself who just invested in a loverly Cube hybrid. Did over 32k which is definitelty a record for her! Quick stop for a hot chocolate at the Japanese Gardens where a group of Wooden Planks were fascinated by my clipless pedals and shoes...mustn't have 'em over there!!

Up till now she's used a big California cruiser which looks savage but is for cruising the boardwalks in San Diego, not plodding about Co Kildare.

Started out nice n warm but it got progressively colder as the day went on - that headwind was pure baltic! Back in home and on with the kettle and a few waffles under the grill washed down with some alphabet noodles - yummy!!

Bring on the summer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Did a hilly 40km spin around the Dublin/Wicklow mountains earlier. I hadn't been out for 2 weeks so it was a little slow. Didn't care though because it was a lovely day out there and I had the necessary number of layers on - including 4 layers on my feet: socks, plastic bags (!), SPD shoes and over shoes; toasty.
    On my way back I was around the leadmines approaching Kiltiernan when a guy in a tractor asked me if I was timing myself. I lied and told him I wasn't - just enjoying the day. It all became clear when he then asked me if I wouldn't mind standing at the entrance to a field when he drove in - there were some horses and my job was to prevent an escape! With the horses sucessfully contained, I continued on my way. Let's just say the minor delay in no way upset any chance I might have had of a PR - never mind a KOM! It was one of those nice random encounters that makes cycling so enjoyable.
    The only negative was when I got home and uploaded my Strava. Am I the only one who hates it when my phone/Strava messes up the recording of my ride? Instead of lots of squiggles, I got a funny kind of rectangle :-(
    Mind you, if I create a segment on the route - as recorded - I bet nobody would be able to beat it ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

First time on the bike since Dubai. Decided to tackle routes I actually hate today. Up over Bohernabreena, headed towards Manor Kilbride but took a left and headed back towards the Military road that comes back towards Bohernabreena. Beautiful day out once I kept moving,stopping for pics hurt with that wind. Decent on the Military rd was sketchy enough with compacted snow still covering the road in sections,the rest was fine with two clear lines of tarmac. Pics in picture thread.
    34kms +582mtrs 1h40ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Decided to do Howth a few times rather than heading for the mountains. Stiff breeze on the way out so looking forward to rolling home. Punctured on second climb from Sutton side only to find I'd left my saddle pouch at home. Thanks to all who offered help. New tyre and tube fitted after I got a lift home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Nice 93km today, under 4 hours!

Took a different route out to Howth, first time I've done it timed, nothing too special mind you! :pac: Wind always seemed to be in my face every turn I made so now I have a nice blocked nose to try and get rid of :) Routes are starting to get a bit repetitive and lonely, still on the fence whether or not to join a club :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

4th day coming off a flu. Felt a bit better so I thought a quick 10k would pick me up. Last 5k uphill and lungs and throat on fire. Cold air like needles. Will never try it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement