Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ouch, go that way myself in the mornings. Saw a cyclist yesterday morning take a spill in the same spot - meant to post a warning on here. Both Chesterfield and zoo roundabouts lethal. Feel guilty now. :o

I wasn't in work yesterday or I might just have taken a spill then instead! To be honest though I was probably lulled into a false sense of security by virtue of the roads up to that point seeming ok. I genuinely can't say I noticed much around the other roundabouts on the way in, which probably contributed to aforementioned sense of security. Have a fair lump coming up on my hip now, so will be playing it by ear as to whether I cycle home, or wimp out onto the train.

Only answer is clearly N+1 to a CX bike with tyres for ice :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Definitely getting older and more sensible. Walked out of the ice-rink estate down to the gritted main road.

The lad on the junker MTB with the outboard motor fitted to the rear got a new back wheel for Christmas. The old one was nearly mesmerisingly buckled in fiarness.

Found a life jacket on the way in dumped outside some flats near The Four Courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

cython wrote: »
    I wasn't in work yesterday or I might just have taken a spill then instead! To be honest though I was probably lulled into a false sense of security by virtue of the roads up to that point seeming ok. I genuinely can't say I noticed much around the other roundabouts on the way in, which probably contributed to aforementioned sense of security. Have a fair lump coming up on my hip now, so will be playing it by ear as to whether I cycle home, or wimp out onto the train.

Hope you're ok, it's to get even colder tonight and with temperatures hovering in low single digits might't even thaw out.

When I passed through Chesterfield roundabout yesterday (about 8.45am), the park rangers had temporarily closed it an were spreading salt on it. It was like an ice rink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Icy on quieter roads around Dublin this morning. Walked the bike out of my estate, and then walked through another estate that I hit on my route. Definitely icy enough to have skidded off badly. Should be grand on the cycle home I reckon... well I hope so at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

roundtrip commute report:

Likewise, took it slow and steady coming down my road towards the busier main roads. Plenty of frost and icy bits along the edge of the road and some cycling lanes so avoided, much to annoyance of drivers. Think I added about 7/8 mins to my normal 21 min commute.

Decided to head home at 2pm and work from there, as I was concerned leaving at 7pm or later might be risky ... coming around by Bus Aras there two cars decided to have little war by cutting across each other, nearly taking me out in the process. They both stop at the lights at the luas crossing at Connolly, jump out of the car and shape up to each other, finger poking, shouting ... mad stuff... (it gets better)

Anyway, they jump into their cars and drive on, I shouted at the lead driver to let him know he nearly took me out of but he is too busy eyeing his mirror at the guy he had argued with... what does he do? He slams the fecking brakes and your man behind smashes into him. So I said feck this, you nearly killed me back there trying to get at your man and now you do this, intentionally causing a rear ending. So I pulled in, happy to be the witness to the intentional rear ending, of course the two jump out and start go at each other AGAIN!

At this point i'm like f**k this I'm not hanging around here for god knows how long, they were both as bad as each other, so I shouted at them to either move the f**k on (causing a massive jam at this point) or call the Gardai because I'm not waiting here all day, although I really wanted to be a witness to the guy behind the lad that nearly hit me but sure... They drove on after both of them picking parts of their respective bumpers off the ground...crazy sh*t. It's no wonder our car insurance is so high with muppets like this on the road, though I hope they are a small minority.

Got home in one piece, no ice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

jon1981 wrote: »
    They drove on after both of them picking parts of their respective bumpers off the ground...crazy sh*t.

(snip)

It's no wonder our car insurance is so high with muppets like this on the road, though I hope they are a small minority.

They sound like they had insurance?

They sound like they had insurance?

they both displayed tax and insurance. I reckon they moved on because neither of them knew who was more wrong so were both unsure what the Gardai would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

jon1981 wrote: »
    they both displayed tax and insurance. I reckon they moved on because neither of them knew who was more wrong so were both unsure what the Gardai would think.

I suppose people are in shock after any kind of an accident; you're legally required to call the Gardaí, and it's the first thing you should do (not you personally, these drivers). It should be drilled into everyone learning to drive: "Bump = Gardaí".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cython wrote: »
    Took a spill on some black ice at the roundabout nearest the zoo in the Phoenix Park this morning myself :( Scuffing to my hip and elbow, and to the RH shifter on the bike. Pannier seems to have protected the derailleur, etc. from the ground, which is something of a saving grace.

Ouch, hope you're OK. I didn't like the look of the white sheen on road and paths this morning, so I wimped out and took the Luas.
    I suppose people are in shock after any kind of an accident; you're legally required to call the Gardaí, and it's the first thing you should do (not you personally, these drivers). It should be drilled into everyone learning to drive: "Bump = Gardaí".

That's not true, the Gardai have no role in fender benders when no-one is injured.

As I said, both thought they were more wrong than the other...so neither clearly wanted to do that (whether they should or not is totally other matter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

RainyDay wrote: »
    Ouch, hope you're OK. I didn't like the look of the white sheen on road and paths this morning, so I wimped out and took the Luas.

That's not true, the Gardai have no role in fender benders when no-one is injured.

Not quite. If an offence is alleged, the Gardai have a role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Not quite. If an offence is alleged, the Gardai have a role.

OK, so anyone can call the Gardai at any time on any issue if an offence is alleged.

But there is no general requirement to call the Gardai for any fender bender where no-one is hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Cold start rolling out and up towards Roundwood via Enniskerry,roads icy in parts but in the main ok.
    Hit -2 from there all the way to Rathdrum and gradually improved as the morning wore on.
    Sally Gap covered in cloud so swerved that.
    Back towards Glenealy and had some loons shouting out their van window passing me by,weird.
    Decided to head through Deputies Pass and onto Brittas direction.
    Surprisingly passed just 3 cyclists all morning.
    At this point i felt a twinge in the leg which got progressively worse,add in a decent headwind from Rathnew all the way back to Shankill and a slogfest ensued.
    Limped up Windgates and from there took it handy.
    Strong gusts in places and had a wobble on the boneshaker road into Newcastle.

Still thoroughly enjoyable and a small climb here and there.
    Leg is sore now so a case of Lig mo scith ar an Tolg.

101.2 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/470803862

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Hope you're ok, it's to get even colder tonight and with temperatures hovering in low single digits might't even thaw out.

When I passed through Chesterfield roundabout yesterday (about 8.45am), the park rangers had temporarily closed it an were spreading salt on it. It was like an ice rink.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    Tis_But_A_Scratch_NEW_T_SHIRT_sand.jpg

Seriously though, pride etc. is the main injury, and I've had much worse spills in the past without ice to reduce the friction for road rash :D Leaning towards getting the train home all the same though, as while I'm not so bad as to not be able to cycle, the though of coming down and landing on the same side doesn't really bear thinking about :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Surprisingly passed just 3 cyclists all morning

Why am I not surprised? (But then I wimped out and dragged the dog for a walk instead).

Well done on doing a 100+ in those temperatures. Any recommendation for good gloves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Why am I not surprised? (But then I wimped out and dragged the dog for a walk instead).

Well done on doing a 100+ in those temperatures. Any recommendation for good gloves?

Cheers,
    I've tried a pair of SealSkinz and they're no better than a pair of Alturas €30 I use. Extremities were numb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Weepsie wrote: »
    First cycle in 6 weeks that wasn't a commute today. Naul and back like the last one, but this time took the same road back as I took out and it was much better. Just shy of 52 KM at a not particularly fast 23 KPH. Had to stop to let a load of people on horses, looked like a hunting party (booo) pass safely on the other side of road, but they were all good natured and full of thanks. Was accompanied by another cyclist for about 15 mins or so between oldtown and the airport on the way back which probably helped me. We both had numb feet. Enjoyable spin all the same, and something to build on again.

Need to get beyond Naul, but not sure of good routes

https://www.strava.com/activities/471697695

Try going out to St Margarets (as above), turning left on the Glebe Road over to the R130, out through Garristown, beyond Ardcath before turning right over to Greenanstown, back to Naul (coffee at the Seamus Ennis Centre) and home as today via the R122. If that goes well, you can include Bellewstown the next time;)

Stopped to let a hunt go by a few weeks ago out towards Kilcock. They were incredibly appreciative and nearly every one of them thanked me. Beautiful sight (but not if you're a fox I suppose).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I was on the way over to Ticknock but seen the snow on Kippure so diverted up Kilbride to take a closer look...
    Roads were clear..seen some tracks heading to kippure summit half way up seen an old 70's looking Falcon hybrid locked to a post which was odd....lad on foot ahead of me.
    Eventually passed him and said he had to stop and leave the bike because he had no gloves his hands froze...he had cycled over from Bray! I had gloves on and I was freezing.... :D
    French fella if you are reading chapeau as they say... ;D
    I'll throw up a few more photos when i am at a computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out early today and enjoyed the slightly midler temperatures but headwind on way home was hard work, big error on my part but so be it.

Greag to see loads on the road, passed a couple of fellow lone cyclists but was unsure on how to apporach, sit in with them? Offer some wind resistance for a few km?

Going to try get some company soon as lone cycling with headwinds is hard work tbh.

67km with 2.5hrs on the road, 26.6km/h.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dahat wrote: »
    Out early today and enjoyed the slightly midler temperatures but headwind on way home was hard work, big error on my part but so be it.

Greag to see loads on the road, passed a couple of fellow lone cyclists but was unsure on how to apporach, sit in with them? Offer some wind resistance for a few km?

Going to try get some company soon as lone cycling with headwinds is hard work tbh.

67km with 2.5hrs on the road, 26.6km/h.

Depends. I've sat in with people before. Work for a while a long as it suits.

If some one is struggling I'll offer them a hand for a bit. Other have done this to me a few times. Can be a life saver somethings. I've paced lads back on to groups after a puncture and would sit on the group for a while if going to right way so it all depends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did 44Km around the mid lands. Got back a KOM I lost last year. Other than that I struggled around with a two day hangover a slow puncture I was to lazy to fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

godtabh wrote: »
    Depends. I've sat in with people before. Work for a while a long as it suits.

If some one is struggling I'll over them a hand for a bit. Other have done this to me a few times. Can be a life saver somethings. I've passed lads back on to groups after a puncture and would sit on the group for a while if going to right way so it all depends.

Will roll up and offer next time then if it occurs again.
    Nice to be nice i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Missed last week as I had to work so back to my usual start of the season spin
    City-St.Margret's-Kilsallaghan-Garristown-Moorepark-Curragha-Ratoath-Kilbride-Finglas-City.
    65+k, piss slow and uneventful until I got to the Industrial estates before Cappagh.
    I've been really nervous after reading about various incidents posters have experienced recently so I was taking care, particularly on roundabouts.
    However I dropped my guard when almost home, and a car drove onto a roundabout straight at me, there was nothing I could do but he/she locked up and the ABS kicked in and I'd swear I brushed the bumper with my eyes closed and both wheels locked, I dont know how it missed me.
    I got such a fright I didnt even react.
    Be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Headed for Birr today for the 200 km Audax. Was an interesting tough day but it was good to have a big turn out so we could suffer together. Weather was mixed but we managed to get around all the same. It's the toughest spin I've down since I started cycling.

205km, 29.4 km/h, 879m

https://www.strava.com/activities/472639826

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did a pathetic waddle around the Phoenix Dual carriageway today offroad, between the mud and being a coward barely broke a sweat...

Putting cable-ties on my singlespeed's wheels in the morning and going to spin over to do some trail running instead. Have some job interviews next week so can't really afford to head out for luxuriant road spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DMW22 wrote: »
    ....205km, 29.4 km/h, ..
    Very impressive average speed on that distance. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Very impressive average speed on that distance. :cool:

Thanks WA. It was a serious pace for the first 100 km with a 32km/h average. It settled down after that. The route wasn't hilly just rolling roads hence why the average is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Jaysus, can't match those figures, but I had my first (non-commuting) spin of the year yesterday.

71km at 25km/h through Phoenix Park, around Lucan/Dunboyne/Maynooth and back home to Dublin 9. Nearly half of it alone, middle 40km with a companion.

Yesterday was a good day. Seemed like the first day in ages that wasn't either freezing cold or hacking it down with rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Today, was my first day out on the bike since 16th November. I was off the bike, because of a collar bone operation. I did 33kms, absolutely delighted with myself.
    Its just great to be able to cycle again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Run plans were axed as I had to do an emergency social rescue for a mate who is pretty much trapped in Suburban hell.

On the way back I had a fit of stupidity and decided to do the Cruagh-Kilakee loop on my singlespeed beater. It wasn't that bad, but having just changed it to flat pedals for beatery reasons I found I sorely missed being clipped in.

Also I decided that my wife is far too attractive for me not to come home to for want of descending in an appropriately cowardly manner.

As it's 38x17 set up it wasn't that bad aside from the pedal choice meaning I couldn't pull up on the cranks when I was struggling to keep them turning, any sort of descending was 100% freewheeling.

All in all it was an interesting experiment, but definitely not regular training.

https://www.strava.com/activities/473091322

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement