Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fair play getting up Cruagh on 38x17, I'm still struggling to get my post Christmas fat ass up that hill in the low gears of the compact! Up there yesterday lunch and Monday lunch, with a couple of pleasantly flat laps around Bohernabreena reservoir on Tuesday instead. Probably won't get out again until the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

smacl wrote: »
    Fair play getting up Cruagh on 38x17, I'm still struggling to get my post Christmas fat ass up that hill in the low gears of the compact! Up there yesterday lunch and Monday lunch, with a couple of pleasantly flat laps around Bohernabreena reservoir on Tuesday instead. Probably won't get out again until the weekend.

I suffered getting up today on my Croix de fer....but at least it was non stop to the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Quick rattle around the outskirts of town during the week(at night) on the Hybrid as i didnt want to wash the new white/black bike!

16km lap twice at 27.6 km/h, target set for 4500km for the year so every but counts in my first full year on a road bike.

Will be out this weekend both days, 40km or so Saturday with hopefully 80km Sunday, early start both days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Some wind in the way home. Took close on 50 minutes as oppose to 35-40 mins.
    Then again I did make it in to work much faster than usual this morning.

I suffered getting up today on my Croix de fer....but at least it was non stop to the top

Still have the studs on my Rose which don't make climbing any easier, but aside from ice are fantastic on muddy tracks. Downside is they're a ballache to get on and off, so seriously thinking of a spare set of wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Popped a spoke 20km or so into a spin today, abandon ship and bike in shop now for fixing so i can go again tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

85k out round north dublin this morning, nice day, not that cold at all. Longest spin i've done, however still disappointed that I didn't break 100k.
    Been a good boy all week, no sneaky snack boxes or spice bags, no pints last night, and it felt it today, felt like I could have kept going but had to be back home before 1.
    The wind between sutton and clontarf on the coast road is absolutely killer, was like I was pedalling squares.

https://www.strava.com/activities/476437384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

First decent spin on a bike. Did 2 spins in total before today, longest being 23 odd km, and managed to do 46 today in total, as I had to head home. Completely underestimated the wind factor. Segment from Naas to Blessington via Ballymore was a lot tougher than I expected due to the wind. So much easier once I made the turn towards Dublin, although the wind had sapped me by the time I had to make the climb home.
    Delighted none the less, but wrecked. Very different fitness as opposed to Football/Rugby.
    Loving it so far

https://www.strava.com/activities/476495571

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

retalivity wrote: »
    ...The wind between sutton and clontarf on the coast road is absolutely killer, was like I was pedalling squares....
    stackerman wrote: »
    ... Completely underestimated the wind factor...
    Underestimated it myself. It sucked the life out of me going to the Sally Gap earlier today. It was probably my slowest ever time getting there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/476624856

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Belting along to work this morning and decided I'd try a more aggressive position. Got out the multitool and lowered the bars by removing a spacer. But trying to hold too much in my hands I dropped the top cap, I heard a 'ping' then a 'plop' before the realisation set in that it went down the drain...:eek:

Thankfully the grate wasn't locked but still had to go fishing in a foot of water with muck, dead leaves, etc while lying on my belly (dear god the smell).

Managed to get it back though, phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

73kms yesterday morning. Greystones to Enniskerry out to Stepaside, Firhouse up Bohernabreena on to the Featherbeds and home again through Enniskerry. The climb up Bohernabreena wasn't as tough as I was expecting but the wind up on the Featherbeds was awful! Huge amount of cyclists out!

https://www.strava.com/activities/476468150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

78km loop put around kildare and Meath. 27kph average so happy with that. 2nd spin of 2016 so far so onwards and upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

70km spin with a variety of hills: sharp and steep, long and draggy and then just ****e road surface to top it all off.

Blessington -> Donard -> Glen of Imaal -> Dunlavin -> Brannockstown -> Ballymore -> Blessington.

23k average, so not great :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Belting along to work this morning and decided I'd try a more aggressive position. Got out the multitool and lowered the bars by removing a spacer....!
    Why on earth would you try that in the middle of a commute? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

80km ballitore, baltinglass, hacketstown, tullow and an awesome tailwind home. Great stop at flynns new foodhall in tullow. Average 26, happy enough great to get going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Headed out with the club this morning and did 72 km. Tagged on an extra ~60 km by cycling in and doing another loop an the way home. Tough headwinds in places but an enjoyable day all the same.

130.6km, 476m, 30.2 km/h

https://www.strava.com/activities/477391234

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Got another flat. Ditched the luganos and bought two new tyres mid cycle. Then discovered mucky crappy water coming out of my headset which then led me to discover a horrible notchiness in the steerer.... I'm just stopped for a coffee now but shall be removing the fork later to clean and grease said headset

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

City-Tallaght-Brittas-Blessington-Eadestown-Naas-Sallins-Clane-Celbridge-Lucan-City
    A little over 80k
    No average speed as my computer was dead so I took the opportunity to use Cycle Tracks GPS for windows on my phone. I forgot to turn off the voice which was a bit irritating, andyway she died of boredom or lost interest half way up Crooksling (I may have battery problems) so I cant report anything good or bad about the app, but best of all I don't have another pathetic average to report.
    Lot of people out cycling on a mild but windy morning. Big groups from Usher and Orwell and I bummed a lift with the latter from the top of Crooksling to Brittas.
    My replacement bottom bracket seems fine (€29.90 from the excellent McCormack Cycle centre in Dorset street) however there are horrible noises coming from the hub(s) looks like a rebuild during the week.

Decided to head back to the grand canal given I still have the knobbly studs on the CX bike. Mud was killer, particularly the section after Ardclough that someone seems to have been driving animals along, though no suitcases bobbing along in the water which was good ;) Left the canal at Sallins and headed Naas, old Balymore Eustace road, Glending, Blessington, Brittas, Balinscorney and home. Lot of head wind from Naas to Blessington and delighted to turn and have it on my back on the way home. Cherry on the cake was having the wind directly behind me for the climb up Balinscorney, which was much appreciated as I was a bit shattered at that point. 5hr15 at a stonking 17kph average, ah well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

60K spin around West Waterford - Dungarvan, Bunmahon, Kill, Kilmacthomas & Abbeyside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Why on earth would you try that in the middle of a commute? :confused::confused::confused:

A commute for me at 15k and most of it country roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

A solo 200km spin for me today. I have done no biking since the last 200 in mid- December. I was fecking slow, speedy at the start but then the wind and the lack of fitness kicked in and I sagged my way round. It was the Orwell 200, grim route but gets the job done. I ate my way through enough Haribo to keep going.

I see that the baggy hi vis jacket must have been given as a Christmas present to every MAMIL, "Sure they'll certainly see you in this!" It looked as if the RSA had set up its own cycling club.

https://www.strava.com/activities/477807981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^

And thus starts RRTY MkIII?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

cdaly_ wrote: »
    ^^^

And thus starts RRTY MkIII?...

Yerra sure I might as well give it a lash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bloody roasting this morning. First morning of 2016 in shorts and a t-shirt! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

got my 1st 2 spins of 2016 in Saturday & Sunday night. Same story every January, get back on the bike after 6-8 weeks off and huff and puff my way over Howth head. The whole of 32km for the weekend and feel like ive done a 150km spin

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Bit windy out there today. Nearly stacked it at a few junctions with crosswinds blasting me. Phew. Happy to get into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

Nasty cross winds cycling across phoenix park on my way on the bike. Saw one girl pushed off her bike by the wind. At one stage was swept of my feet at grand canal dock, but it's nearly always a wind tunnel around there. Very few cyclists. Don't blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

Nasty cross winds cycling across phoenix park on my way to work on the bike. Saw one girl pushed off her bike by the wind. At one stage was swept of my feet at grand canal dock, but it's nearly always a wind tunnel around there. Very few cyclists. Don't blame them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Had a short spin yesterday so looking at today's forecast made my mind up to stay local and try a few short hills.
    It was riciculously mild but very difficult at times to keep the bike steady, strong winds and real nasty gusts blew me practically sideways and to a standstill at times.
    Was going well up Quarry Road climb until that final ramp when the winds slowed me further..plenty of gravel and water contributing to wheel spin on the steepest section :mad:

Called it a day after 30k odd,a tad dangerous tbh

https://www.strava.com/activities/478830688

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement