Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Had a short spin yesterday so looking at today's forecast made my mind up to stay local and try a few short hills.
    It was riciculously mild but very difficult at times to keep the bike steady, strong winds and real nasty gusts blew me practically sideways and to a standstill at times.
    Was going well up Quarry Road climb until that final ramp when the winds slowed me further..plenty of gravel and water contributing to wheel spin on the steepest section :mad:

Called it a day after 30k odd,a tad dangerous tbh

https://www.strava.com/activities/478830688

Whats that Quarry Road climb like? I keep meaning to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

A little cracker IMHO, a tight narrow road of 1.1km avg gradient 9% ... starts off grand sheltered for the most part until the last turn onto a tough incline heading in the direction of the smelter tower.
    First part starts relatively flat then has a few bends ramping up to 11%,12%,14%.....2nd part straightens out for a bit 5%, 7%,8%,9% then onto the last bit 100metres which is the killer,single lane,very narrow,poor surface hitting 15%,17%,19%,20% to the end.

Some fine houses either side on the way up 😊

A little cracker IMHO, a tight narrow road of 1.1km avg gradient 9% ... starts off grand sheltered for the most part until the last turn onto a tough incline heading in the direction of the smelter tower.
    First part starts relatively flat then has a few bends ramping up to 11%,12%,14%.....2nd part straightens out for a bit 5%, 7%,8%,9% then onto the last bit 100metres which is the killer,single lane,very narrow,poor surface hitting 15%,17%,19%,20% to the end.

Jaysus! Have to try and remember that one!

Jaysus! Have to try and remember that one!

Would be rude not to....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Im not cycling at the moment but I have taken to walking from Drumcondra train station to O'Connell st over the past couple of weeks. Each morning a very tall man on a white hybrid passes me as I ramble to work, he has some form of light on the front that flashes, it is so powerfull it actually hurts, I turned & looked behind me crossing the NCR & was blinded by it. IMHO it has to be a distraction to oncoming traffic!

I was certain that all front lights on bikes had to be contast while rear lights can flash or be constant, can my more learned boardsies advise?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Couple of laps of Bohernabreena at lunch as it was a bit blowy for me for the hills. Sun, rain, sleet, and lots of wind for a blustery and rather muddy 25k @22kph. Nice out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Im not cycling at the moment but I have taken to walking from Drumcondra train station to O'Connell st over the past couple of weeks. Each morning a very tall man on a white hybrid passes me as I ramble to work, he has some form of light on the front that flashes, it is so powerfull it actually hurts, I turned & looked behind me crossing the NCR & was blinded by it. IMHO it has to be a distraction to oncoming traffic!

I was certain that all front lights on bikes had to be contast while rear lights can flash or be constant, can my more learned boardsies advise?

Since 2009, as long as the light flashes with a frequency no less than 60Hz (i.e. at least 60 times per minute) it is fine to have either front or rear flashing lights.:
    Pedal cycles.

29. (1) Every pedal cycle shall at all times while ridden, or wheeled by a person on foot, in a public place during lighting-up hours be equipped with and, subject to sub-article (2) of this article, show duly lit a front lamp complying with the provisions of sub-article (3) of this article and a rear lamp complying with the provisions of sub-article (4) of this article.

(2) The requirement in sub-article (1) of this article that the front and rear lamps be shown duly lit shall not apply if and so long as the cycle is stopped in course of traffic or is being wheeled by a person on foot as near as possible to the left hand edge of the roadway.

(3) A front lamp fitted to a cycle shall—

(a) when lit, show to the front of the cycle a white or yellow light visible during lighting-up hours for a reasonable distance,

(b) be fitted on the centre line of the vehicle or to the right of that line,

(c) be fitted so that no part of the illuminated surface of the lamp is more than 5 feet from the ground.

(4) A rear lamp fitted to a cycle shall—

(a) when lit, show to the rear of the cycle a red light visible during lighting-up hours for a reasonable distance,

(b) have an illuminated area of at least 2 square inches and of such a shape that a circle of 1 inch in diameter may be inscribed therein,

(c) be fitted—

(i) on the centre line of the cycle or to the right of that line,

(ii) so that no part of the illuminated surface of the lamp is more than 3 feet or less than 12 inches from the ground,

(iii) so that it is not more than 20 inches from the extreme rear of the cycle.

(5) In this article, ‘lit’ means the emission of a continuous light or a light that flashes not less than 60 times in each minute.

The last line in bold was added by SI 487 of 2009, which included the below explanatory note:
    EXPLANATORY NOTE

(This note is not part of the Instrument and does not purport to be a legal interpretation.)

These Regulations make it legal for pedal cyclists to use the flashing front and rear lamps that are in common usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It was warm again this morning, although I did get caught out by a horrendous shower just as I was crossing over to the north side of the liffey. Got destroyed in a few minutes, and then it stopped. Really annoyed me that one!

It seems to have cooled quite a lot over the afternoon, I have my Gabba in my bag which I'll be wearing on the ride home! Here's hoping the wind isn't so bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

It was warm again this morning, although I did get caught out by a horrendous shower just as I was crossing over to the north side of the liffey. Got destroyed in a few minutes, and then it stopped. Really annoyed me that one!

It seems to have cooled quite a lot over the afternoon, I have my Gabba in my bag which I'll be wearing on the ride home! Here's hoping the wind isn't so bad

Its been a bad few days for anyone commuting roughly north to south. Winds southerly or SW in the morning going to west or NW in the afternoon. I have had the wind with me nearly every commute this week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Ha, I am the opposite. I have been nearly blown to a standstill going downhill on occasions this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Couple of spins this weel for me as I'm trying to hit 500km for the month, looks very likely.

55km Wednesday over some new ground, popped a spoke but all good now. Tailwind coming home whuch was very welcome.

36km early today, nice and handy after yesterday. Got bacl before any rain kicked off so bike was OK to go after a quick wipe for once...

Popped into LBS for a quick gear adjustment and got some good advice from the mechanic, JB, very nice guy and advice was taken on board. Always nice to get advice from an experienced guy.

Went for a spin up to Cruagh and decided to leave it at that when it started snowing at the top. Bitterly cold on the way down. 2 months of idleness and eating crap has taken its toll on my fitness :(

Went out for a giod workout over 50km or so but that came to a stop after 25km odd with a spoke isssue so nursed back to LBS to get replacement wheels as it was the 3rd spoke to go.

Fair play to LBS for standing over the wheels and no quibble replacement.

Hopped baxk on the bike and knocked out another few km to total 56km at 24km/h but my early work was littered with PR so have to be pleased.

I will head out tomorrow for 40km plus with bro in law but its his first outing this year so id imagine it will be a relaxed spin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First time out in two weeks. I have some sort of chest infection thats taking an age to shake but had to get out on the new bike. Got a Ribble R872. Did 37km at a very easy pace.

Lost a spoke about 5km from home. It safe to say that the stanard wheels that came with it arent up to much!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First time out in two weeks. I have some sort of chest infection thats taking an age to shake but had to get out on the new bike. Got a Ribble R872. Did 37km at a very easy pace.

Lost a spoke about 5km from home. It safe to say that the standard wheels that came with it arent up to much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

85k spin -> Tallaght, Saggart, Newcastle, Celbridge, Clane, Kilkock, Maynoot, Straffan, Ardlough, Baldonnel - Tallaght

Only heating up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

85k spin -> Tallaght, Saggart, Newcastle, Celbridge, Clane, Kilkock, Maynoot, Straffan, Ardlough, Baldonnel - Tallaght

Only heating up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Went for a 50km out and back spin with the wind on my side. Cold and windy and a few showers. The headset gave up on the winter bike last Sunday and the replacement hasn't arrived yet so took the good bike out. Felt very racy and tight compared to my old alu winter steed. Need to do 90km tomorrow to make 500km for January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

godtabh wrote: »

Lost a spoke about 5km from home. It safe to say that the stanard wheels that came with it arent up to much!

Interesting. What wheels did you get with it. I've 10k on one of these that I bought as a built bike from Ribble (Athena11 version) and it has been bombproof so far. Campag Khamsin wheels.

Plastik wrote: »
    Interesting. What wheels did you get with it. I've 10k on one of these that I bought as a built bike from Ribble (Athena11 version) and it has been bombproof so far. Campag Khamsin wheels.

Airline 5 wheels

I wasnt expecting much from them but given that I have done over 30000km and only had spokes go on my on one set of wheels 2/3 times its poor form them going after 37km.

I'll email them on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Think i over did this week short spins friday & saturday night then went out this morning planned to do a 30km to start building back up after 2 months off. Was bolloxed after 20km cycling back home into a headwind. Put on serious. Amount of weight over november and december which is no help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Short 20k spin out the coast road to Sutton and back. That headwind is something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Was going well up Quarry Road climb until that final ramp when the winds slowed me further..plenty of gravel and water contributing to wheel spin on the steepest section :mad:

Called it a day after 30k odd,a tad dangerous tbh

https://www.strava.com/activities/478830688

I was reading this and said to myself that I must give it a go. It was only when I opened the segment on the Strava link that I realised that I've already done it. It was one of the first climbs on the Boards.ie Evil 200 last year. I've no recollection of it but it's because suppose there was so much climbing that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

75k done today. Every bloody KM a wet and windy struggle.

4 of us headed out, got a little lost and managed to find a lot more hills than we expected. Also managed to add 3km despite knocking off 10k... :confused::confused::confused:

Took a spill on a roundabout; little blood, lot more bruising but the bike is fine. Sitting is going to be fun for the next week.

23 avg which given the wind, rain, hills and fall I'll take on a day like today. 300k done this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I headed off this morning with great ambitions. Gonna do some climbing. Did my usual, headed up Bohernabreena a bit too enthusiastic but feeling good all the same, turned for Ballinascorney with the intention of coming back down and doing Cunard and Piperstown. Got to the top of Ballinascorney and said Feck it, I'll head up the Gap and maybe chance Kippure. It was dull but dry, not much breeze, it'll be grand.
    Well it was until the Sally Gap crossroads and then it all went to shít. Crosswinds and headwind beat the living shíte out of me. Dull turned to drizzle and drizzle promptly to horizontal driving rain. I was flat out just trying to keep above 10kmh and the bike was all over the road. Skipped Kippure because I like life. Crawled over the featherbeds and took the shortcut down Piperstown and back to the start.

https://www.strava.com/activities/482775953

45km, 834m climbed. Took 15 minutes to get changed and another half an hour to get the feeling back in my hands and face.

First time out with other cyclists today which was great but I was quite a bit stronger and fitter than most of them as I'm on the go all winter.

50km at 26km/h, down on speed as i knocked back the pace to wait on others here n there. My new wheels felt alot better than the previous ones plus they have aero spokes or so i was told.

559km done for the month with 200 this week, really enjoying the cycling.

First 100km spin this year. Was out in Howth with my wife and daughter yesterday and the huge amount of cyclists out there gave me inspiration! Headed out there this morning. Was wet but only a drizzly rain all day so not too bad. Not a whisper of wind on the way out so I knew I would pay on the way back! Headwind from Howth to Eastpoint was horrible but then completely disappeared again the rest of the way! I will never understand this wind thing! Huge amount of cyclists around Howth again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/482670703

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Headed out to Swords yesterday morning for the Touring Group spin to Tara. Damp but good fun and coffee & scones to look forward to on the way out. A great following wind to speed us back to NCD. Turned off to head home via St Margarets and stopped the Garmin as I came through the gate at home. 99.99km on the clock downgraded to 99.9 when I synced with Strava later.
    Surely I can count it as a century?

https://www.strava.com/activities/482760462

Schoolboy error!

• Advertisement

Hospital appointment today so took a half day from work and managed to get in just over 30km before lunch.

I went up the Mountain rd in Clonmel for the first time to start some climbing practice and pacing. Really enjoyed it and wasn't as nasty as i had convinced myself it would be but i was fresh and likely to be a different story with 40/50km in the legs beforehand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement