Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Headed out to Swords yesterday morning for the Touring Group spin to Tara. Damp but good fun and coffee & scones to look forward to on the way out. A great following wind to speed us back to NCD. Turned off to head home via St Margarets and stopped the Garmin as I came through the gate at home. 99.99km on the clock downgraded to 99.9 when I synced with Strava later.
    Surely I can count it as a century?

https://www.strava.com/activities/482760462

Certainly not. It was a spin in the 0-100 category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Headed out to Swords yesterday morning for the Touring Group spin to Tara. Damp but good fun and coffee & scones to look forward to on the way out. A great following wind to speed us back to NCD. Turned off to head home via St Margarets and stopped the Garmin as I came through the gate at home. 99.99km on the clock downgraded to 99.9 when I synced with Strava later.
    Surely I can count it as a century?

https://www.strava.com/activities/482760462

Go back out and repeat the whole route,only this time cycle round the block before you get home! To claim a 100kms, you must do 100kms! (Nice going though as I've yet to do my first 100 or even 99.9km spin this year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Just to be on the safe side I usually do few extra laps around the block to get some hundred meters over the goal whether it's a 10k run or 100k ride or whatever my goal is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Another cyclist decided to do a U-turn without looking at all in front of me this morning. Couple that with cycling through a business park who think that having slippy cobbles as a road surface meant that once I braked I skipped straight into the chap. Hurt my hip, I think he was relatively unscathed. Ugh, bad couple of months for spills.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another cyclist decided to do a U-turn without looking at all in front of me this morning. Couple that with cycling through a business park who think that having slippy cobbles as a road surface meant that once I braked I skipped straight into the chap. Hurt my hip, I think he was relatively unscathed. Ugh, bad couple of months for spills.

Ouch! Still you know what they say...

Nice lunchtime spin out to Kilternan, up to Foxes, and back via Cruagh for 25k in 1hr10. Windy enough with a bit of sleet on Pine forest road but still a bazillion times more enjoyable that the turbo last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Schoolboy error!
    D9Male wrote: »
    Certainly not. It was a spin in the 0-100 category.
    Domane wrote: »
    Go back out and repeat the whole route,only this time cycle round the block before you get home! To claim a 100kms, you must do 100kms! (Nice going though as I've yet to do my first 100 or even 99.9km spin this year!)

Always knew this thread attracted kind, generous and charitable posters. Going to have to settle for 425.99km for the month :) What a difference joining a good club makes - my total for the three winter months last year was 86km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

My first cycle today in well over 2 years. I've moved to a house further from college but was delighted to find out the college offers a free 'rent-a-bike' scheme. It saves me having to bring one down from Kildare, and they gave me some cool flashing lights, high-vis gear and a helmet :)

Looking forward to cycling tomorrow morning, though the cycle home proved how unfit I was :( Also, someone cut across me...Better get used to it :V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

FionnK86 wrote: »
    was delighted to find out the college offers a free 'rent-a-bike' scheme. It saves me having to bring one down from Kildare, and they gave me some cool flashing lights, high-vis gear and a helmet :)
    Sounds like a great initiative - any chance you could post more details?

A bit cloudy for the hills this lunch, so got in a few laps of Bohernabreena reservoir. Warm out for a relaxed 25k over 1hr10.

cloudy.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

first non commuting spin in about 4 months after breaking a bone in my foot and tearing ankle ligaments in november. 30k up over howth head and back into town before work, there was a nice testing headwind on the way into town but felt great to be out regardless.

then had the pleasure (albeit for only a few km) of sharing the effort along the coast path with a random commuter who was going at around my pace.

looking forward to having a tailwind blowing me home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

93k for me today. Out to Howth with a few stretches marked out for a full gas effort. A bit drizzly but not bad. Got out to Howth for a once over. Came roud to where the cycle shop used to be in the village and there was a fricking Starbucks !! Just down from my favourite coffe stop il panorama. Last 10k was a bit of a struggle but really enjoyed me scrambled eggs when I got in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Weepsie wrote: »
    7.5 k into work, fell 2 k from work, could barely grip the brakes the remainder. fracture my arm and no cycling for 2 months :(

Sh*t man, sorry to hear that. Hope it heals quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Incredibly mild today, rolled out and towards Enniskerry and was undecided whether to go left for the Old Long hill or right for Waterfall and Glencree. Decided on the latter as i haven't been up Glencree in a while.

The road down to the waterfall was as perilous as ever,loose gravel and a couple of deep pot-holes.

What turned out mild and dry soon became damp all the way up the climb,(lots of crap on the road) until the Featherbeds when the rain was coming in sideways.

Got a couple of funny looks of the local sheep down to Viewing point.
    I think it was at this point the rain started affecting the Garmin altometer.

Down Kilakeee road and back across in the scalp direction.Rain stayed up in the hills and according to the Garmin Shankill is a good 200m above Enniskerry :p and close to 300m above sea level :confused:

https://www.strava.com/activities/485738859

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... at this point the rain started affecting the Garmin altometer.

......and according to the Garmin Shankill is a good 200m above Enniskerry :p and close to 300m above sea level :confused:......
    If you use the 'Correct Elevation' feature, it will sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

A day of highs and lows for me. Averaged 27 kph on the commute into college, which I was delighted with. Then, as I went to go home, the key broke inside my beloved and faithful Kryptonite mini. Which is why I'm now suffering the indignity of a ride on the 17. Looks like the LBS is getting some more of my hard earned cash tomorrow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Weepsie wrote: »
    7.5 k into work, fell 2 k from work, could barely grip the brakes the remainder. fracture my arm and no cycling for 2 months :(

Nasty, you'll be back in no time!

Bit of exploring the backroads around the Kildare Wicklow border today. Ballyboden, Canal to Admastown, Newcastle, Athgoe, Steelstown, Punchestown, Ballymore Eustace, Poulaphouca, Blessington, Manor Kilbride, Ballinascorney and home for 105k in 4hr20. Wet and windy out there today, and my thoughts were with the crew doing the Kings Mountain 200 as I snuck home with the wind finally at my back.

Clane to Donadea to Carbury, Edenderry, Clonbullogue, Rathangan, Allenwood and home. 82kms with an average speed of just 24.5kph. My excuse? The wind, the damn blasted in my face wind. Oh and the driving rain didn't help (but stayed nice and dry and warm thanks to my Galibier Mistral jacket). God it was so bad in places that when I was going downhill, I had to pedal harder to stop myself getting blown to a standstill. Couple of nervous moments too when the wind shifted direction and gusted from the side giving me the "wobbles". Now that I'm home, showered and rested, the wind appears to be dying down. Bloody typical! Ah well, I'll just put it down to "resistance" training.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

dahat wrote: »
    Hospital appointment today so took a half day from work and managed to get in just over 30km before lunch.

I went up the Mountain rd in Clonmel for the first time to start some climbing practice and pacing. Really enjoyed it and wasn't as nasty as i had convinced myself it would be but i was fresh and likely to be a different story with 40/50km in the legs beforehand.

The Mountain Road is a grand climb, and on a clear Summer morning its really beautiful...even for a non climber like myself. If you go straight over the top and on through Rathgormack go straight across the Dungarvan road and head into Portlaw and do The Scrouty climb...you'll enjoy it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Note to self.

Pay attention.

I missed the bit on whatsapp that mentioned that this mornings 7am spin was to be fast. I had planned a fairly handy early spin and then a longer one with some other people, just to get the Strava Fondo, as I am a sap

Well holy Be jay Sus.

I did 40km this morning and my HR was through the roof :/

It's February! No one needs to be going that hard at this time of year! I've been slowly (very) climbing and tootling along since October!

:/

Joined the second group and did quite a bit at the front, into a head wind, about 20km. dear god...

I was banjaxed and quite frankly, feeling a lot of burning in my thighs :/

Both groups spins done with about 110km on the clock, I had to make my way home, which involved the gale force wind tunnel that was the belgard road.

There was quite a bit of rain then too so I don't think I cried. it was probably rain just rolling down my face.

124km done for the day and I am so going to eat loads of fat food tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Glad to see it wasn't just me then, who had "rain falling down his face" (honest I wasn't crying as well!) and burning thighs trying to power into that wind.

On the plus side, I don't think I'll be moaning about the wind (ie not as strong) for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

01Surveyor wrote: »
    The Mountain Road is a grand climb, and on a clear Summer morning its really beautiful...even for a non climber like myself. If you go straight over the top and on through Rathgormack go straight across the Dungarvan road and head into Portlaw and do The Scrouty climb...you'll enjoy it!!

One for the notebook then. Had planned to go onto Rathgormack next time to go home via Carrick as coming down the Mountain Rd is not an option anymore as the road itself is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Went around lunchtime today when the wind had supposedly died down, some laugh tjat turned out to be.

Clonmel to Carrick, up to Glenbower and back home into a headwind which was very tough and tiring.

54km at avg of 28.2km/h, happy out now.

Gotta go solo tomorrow as my comerades from last week arent going out so a tough spin into a headwind to Ballyporeen then home flat out with the wind behind me hopefully...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

First proper spin on the new bike after crashing back in August. Delighted with the build, not so much delighted with the fitness, or lack there of! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

50km up to Blessington. I knew within 5 minutes that my legs weren't really at the races today, I blame the notions I've had recently that I might actually be a runner.

Suffered through the headwinds, wet roads & the odd shower. Then on the N81 home some knob jockey of a driver driving a big lorry and who should know better passed me way to close and way to fast a speed. He's now I think turned me into a Victor Meldrew as I'm going to call his employer (a fairly large well known brand) on Monday to make a complaint about him.

Also decided as I was suffering on the way home that my short sleeve defender boards jersey and arm warmers struggle a bit at todays temps and conditions and to treat myself to a Mistral jacket that everyone has been raving about. Get on the PC as soon as I'm in the door before I have a chance to change my mind only to find they are sold out until the summer.

Thighs are still burning and I barely broke 25kph average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Crocked wrote: »
    Also decided as I was suffering on the way home that my short sleeve defender boards jersey and arm warmers struggle a bit at todays temps and conditions and to treat myself to a Mistral jacket that everyone has been raving about. Get on the PC as soon as I'm in the door before I have a chance to change my mind only to find they are sold out until the summer.

Keep an eye on their website. I thought I had left it too late to get a medium Mistral mid-week but another one showed up on Friday and I ordered it. Looking forward to trying it out next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Soaked through doing ~38k from the NAC to Phoenix park three loops and back. Discovered I had left off the GPs setting on my Garmin so no route recorded or segments. Makes the effort not worth it ;p was after my first run in 5 months and a swim so I deserved tonight's beer.

Crocked wrote: »

Try the Galibier Facebook page and send a message to them. They usually reply within 20 minutes. You could be lucky and they might have one or two Mistrals left in their stores. I sent them a message yesterday querying the sizing of their new bib tights and when they got back to me with an answer, they told me to hold off ordering as they would be giving a discount later on off these tights. Nice customer service and saved me a tenner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out this morning, intention of doing ~3 hrs and/or 70ish km. Within 15 mins of going out I knew something was wrong, was a head wind heading south to the mountains out of Dublin, legs had nothing, ploughed on regardless to try and ride into some sort of rhythm. Had to step off the bike going up stocking lane, gave up the ghost shortly after and turned for home, a measly 36k with a pretty pathetic avg speed of 20k. Disappointed.

http://www.strava.com/activities/487879548/segments/11706571455

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement