Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out this morning, intention of doing ~3 hrs and/or 70ish km. Within 15 mins of going out I knew something was wrong, was a head wind heading south to the mountains out of Dublin, legs had nothing, ploughed on regardless to try and ride into some sort of rhythm. Had to step off the bike going up stocking lane, gave up the ghost shortly after and turned for home, a measly 36k with a pretty pathetic avg speed of 20k. Disappointed.

http://www.strava.com/activities/487879548/segments/11706571455

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

retalivity wrote: »
    Out this morning, intention of doing ~3 hrs and/or 70ish km. Within 15 mins of going out I knew something was wrong, was a head wind heading south to the mountains out of Dublin, legs had nothing, ploughed on regardless to try and ride into some sort of rhythm. Had to step off the bike going up stocking lane, gave up the ghost shortly after and turned for home, a measly 36k with a pretty pathetic avg speed of 20k. Disappointed.

http://www.strava.com/activities/487879548/segments/11706571455

Headwinds working against you up that way are particularly draining, mentally as well as physically.

They also seem to be increasingly common this winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Strava Fondo, complete.... (first one ever)

Off at 08.15 as my weather app reckoned it was ok till 11am or so.

Clonmel to Mitchesltown and home. Really suffered last 15-20km as i have never beem beyond 75km but i struggled on and made it.

Had 3 vels, banana and 1 water bottle whuch left me a bit short i think, lesson learned.

Really overjoyed to get over the 100km and feel wrecked but super now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

62k from town to Turvey and back, longest spin since my hip replacement in May last year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/487988726

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

Got 58km in today. Didn't really know where or how far I wanted to go when I set off and ended up leaving myself with the last leg into the wind.
    Horrible weather in the West but still met a good lot of cyclists out and about.
    My feet nearly froze off me. Rest of body toasty warm.
    Ordered overshoes from Galibier a couple of hours ago to see if they'll make a difference. My Endura ones aren't in the best of shape anymore anyway. Galibier emailed a few minutes ago to say order is on route. Some service.

https://www.strava.com/activities/487964995

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hopefully man flu is behind me. Got out for 35km spin. Got caught up in a lot of bad weather but worth it. I needed to get out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

godtabh wrote: »
    Hopefully man flu is behind me. Got out for 35km spin. Got caught up in a lot of bad weather but worth it. I needed to get out

Good to see you back on the bike, was wondering where you were.

It is always kinda cool to finish of an early morning spin and see there was another lunatic out before me :)

Bring on the spring/summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

No cycling this weekend - far too sick. :(
    Back on the bike next weekend, will have to get out on both Sat and Sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

godtabh wrote: »

bad dose going about..knocked me out for a few days aswell..have suffered like a dog since on every spin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Managed a very loopy spin this morning, tried to get a 50 km in with wind behind on the homeward . Killenagh .. courtown.. ballygarret. .kilmuckridge. . Wells.. Ratheenduff ... ballyedmund ... home...
    49.6 km. .. 22.5 average km ...headwind out was tougher than I expected.... glad to get out though..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Good to see you back on the bike, was wondering where you were.

It is always kinda cool to finish of an early morning spin and see there was another lunatic out before me :)

Bring on the spring/summer!

Over the last 4 weeks I've had flu, then man flu and then a sinus infection. Been off work for the first time in years (probably more productive at home!) and only on the bike twice in 4 weeks. It was the pits!

Hopefully back to normal now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Weirdest weather on Saturday just gone....battered by the wind and soaked through Enniskerry even considered a route change to escape the weather......
    Pitstop with "Half" a cup of tea from the MTB shop in Ballinastoe to gather the thoughts....
    As soon as we turned right heading up Lugalla no wind or rain at all just eerily calm.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Domane wrote: »
    Clane to Donadea to Carbury, Edenderry, Clonbullogue, Rathangan, Allenwood and home. 82kms with an average speed of just 24.5kph. My excuse? The wind, the damn blasted in my face wind. Oh and the driving rain didn't help (but stayed nice and dry and warm thanks to my Galibier Mistral jacket). God it was so bad in places that when I was going downhill, I had to pedal harder to stop myself getting blown to a standstill. Couple of nervous moments too when the wind shifted direction and gusted from the side giving me the "wobbles". Now that I'm home, showered and rested, the wind appears to be dying down. Bloody typical! Ah well, I'll just put it down to "resistance" training.

I rode 10k on the mtb the other day, was in bits after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Cold this morning but its fecking snowing now in Cork. Hope its gone by this evening.

Yep, it's effin cold plus got caught in a right nasty snow/sleet shower just after 9, visibility was pretty poor plus being on the road towards Fethard which isnt the je widest in places wasn't ideal.

45km done n dusted, 26.9km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

dahat wrote: »
    Yep, it's effin cold plus got caught in a right nasty snow/sleet shower just after 9, visibility was pretty poor plus being on the road towards Fethard which isnt the je widest in places wasn't ideal.

45km done n dusted, 26.9km/h.

Stop thinking like a motorist, use roads that are quiter.

Regional roads with decent traffic levels and no hard shoulder are pretty horrible cycling.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12119689

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Four degrees in South Dublin this morning, Dun Laoghaire harbour weather website saying there was a westerly Force Seven, so headwind gusts of up to 65kph - all the way into town, thereby accounting for the resulting 16km taking almost 50 minutes. Would have been a little more enjoyable if the clown in front of me at Booterstown hadn't honked both his nostrils without warning, producing a cloud of green horror flying in my direction.

Does anybody else use the DLHWeather site? It generates the current wind speed, direction and temperature every minute or so from the weather station out near the head of the east pier:

http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/

ford2600 wrote: »
    Stop thinking like a motorist, use roads that are quiter.

Regional roads with decent traffic levels and no hard shoulder are pretty horrible cycling.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12119689

Once i got down Market Hill i went out to Poulmucka and alot quiter roads. Road surfaces are quite poor locally after the floods so try to stay off back roads if i can but sometines its unavoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Originally Posted by Bolloxologyviewpost.gif
    ...Was going well up Quarry Road climb until that final ramp when the winds slowed me further..plenty of gravel and water contributing to wheel spin on the steepest section mad.png
    Called it a day after 30k odd,a tad dangerous tbh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/478830688

Quote:
    Originally Posted by black and amberviewpost.gif
    Whats that Quarry Road climb like? I keep meaning to try it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bolloxology viewpost.gif
    A little cracker IMHO, a tight narrow road of 1.1km avg gradient 9% ... starts off grand sheltered for the most part until the last turn onto a tough incline heading in the direction of the smelter tower.
    First part starts relatively flat then has a few bends ramping up to 11%,12%,14%.....2nd part straightens out for a bit 5%, 7%,8%,9% then onto the last bit 100metres which is the killer,single lane,very narrow,poor surface hitting 15%,17%,19%,20% to the end.

Some fine houses either side on the way up 😊

I was reading this and said to myself that I must give it a go. It was only when I opened the segment on the Strava link that I realised that I've already done it. It was one of the first climbs on the Boards.ie Evil 200 last year. I've no recollection of it but it's because suppose there was so much climbing that day.

So funny, I was reading this and said to myself that I must give it a go. And then I realised I was with doing Evil200 with WA and therefore.... Strava link revealed it all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

RainyDay wrote: »
    Sounds like a great initiative - any chance you could post more details?

Here's a video of what UL have done for cycling, the scheme allows you to try a bike for 1 week, but due to little demand I was told to hang onto the bike until Smarter Travel have a request. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Came face to face with a bull on the road this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

longshanks wrote: »

What did you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭josip

Did it mooove over?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus :eek:

Are you sure it was a bull though and not a bullock/heifer or cow? Extraordinarily dangerous animal to be out on the road, do you know anyone who lives out there to let them know there's a bull out on the road? Bulls are the second most common cause of death in farm accidents *I think*. You don't want one out loose and roaming amongst strangers and traffic :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

gadetra wrote: »
    Jesus :eek:

Are you sure it was a bull though and not a bullock/heifer or cow? Extraordinarily dangerous animal to be out on the road, do you know anyone who lives out there to let them know there's a bull out on the road? Bulls are the second most common cause of death in farm accidents *I think*. You don't want one out loose and roaming amongst strangers and traffic :eek:

Leave the poor bull alone, he was just going for a walk trying to clear his head and figure out how he's going to pay for the fun he had in the summer when the calving season starts..

@gadetra this is not the farming forum, what exactly is a heifer/bullock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

what exactly is a heifer/bullock?

Heifer/Cow - no plums (female of the species)

Bullock - Plums snipped.

The useless information in my head is unfathomable :)

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Heifer/Cow - no plums (female of the species)

Bullock - Plums snipped.

The useless information in my head is unfathomable :)

I think ford knows exactly what they are ;)

Bad forward slashing by me. However I'd go with a freemartin for a heifer/bull :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

gadetra wrote: »
    I think ford knows exactly what they are ;)

The name stinks of muck savage alright :D

Leave the poor bull alone, he was just going for a walk trying to clear his head and figure out how he's going to pay for the fun he had in the summer when the calving season starts..

@gadetra this is not the farming forum, what exactly is a heifer/bullock?

Pfft, he's running away from his responsibilities. The economy hasn't picked up enough to afford 30 calf families anymore

All those poor single cow families...:pac:

ETA on a serious note though poster should inform someone in the area about it. No one wants stock out on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vguKJGfki3M apparently works...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement