Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

longshanks wrote: »
    Came face to face with a bull on the road this morning.

Out munching some grass this am and some 2 legged thing in Lycra appeared out of no where
    Moooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

On speaking to herself, a farmers daughter, she reckons it was a bullock.
    I came down the hill after going up over Ballyscanlon, and was taking the turn at the bottom towards Fenor when the bullock came running up the side road. It stopped 10 metres or so from me, did that snorting thing and just stared. I was stopped at this stage wondering should I shout or wave my arms.
    Then the farmer drove up in his car, gave me a 'what are you doing to my cow' look, the animal ran back down the road and the farmer reversed down after it, shaking his head at me. It was all over in a few seconds.
    Amen.
    Go in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Lots of black ice about this morning and an angry swan but no bullocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A chilly 27k this evening. I think I need a pair of gloves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

P_1 wrote: »
    A chilly 27k this evening. I think I need a pair of gloves

That is indeed chilly. 27k equates to about -246.15C. Where do you live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    That is indeed chilly. 27k equates to about -246.15C. Where do you live?

HL7Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Just an absolute glorious Winters day to be out on the bike. What's seldom is wonderful.

Clear blue skies,brilliant sunshine,some lovely scenery and very little traffic about this morning en route.

Shankill-Bray-Greystones along the coast road down to Brittas and then across to Redcross and back on the N11 via Wicklow and home.

103.2 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/490222419

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A group of us on a club ride to a Ras stage last year encountered a Charlaois bull on a narrow road near Drogheda. We just went by slowly.

(It was definitely a bull. I know the difference between a bull and a bullock and the large nose ring and the enhanced equipment is usually a give away)
    ... when the bullock came running up the side road. It stopped 10 metres or so from me, did that snorting thing and just stared. I was stopped at this stage wondering should I shout or wave my arms.
    Then the farmer drove up in his car, gave me a 'what are you doing to my cow' look...
    Why would he give you a "what are you doing looking at my cow" look if it was a bullock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

A group of us on a club ride to a Ras stage last year encountered a Charlaois bull on a narrow road near Drogheda. We just went by slowly.

Met a stag on barnaslingan Road at end of summer, cycled slowly past but he ran at a gate an clattered hooves/antlers off it, didn't hang around in case he jumped back into Road (called park ranger but don't think they did anything)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I always pitied bullocks. Hated watching that being done. Using a nut cracking type tool to crush their ball sack veins always seemed kind of cruel to me.

Dehorning with cheese wire was a lot worse though :( and ended my farming career... first time I really stood up for myself as a young adult too.

Anyways...

The sort of usual up at 4:45am this morning, faffed a lot and checked the condition of my car via ice etc at about 5:15 and it was still water droplets, so a couple of Tassimo Costa Americanos later. I was good to go at 6am.

I faff a lot. An awful "a lot"

I had just planned a few hill repeats on a road I knew to have a good anti ice surface, no way I was doing the full Stocking Lane gig.

I'm quite fond of my skin being currently attached to me and my face.

'Twas grand! Minus 1.5 degrees for most of it, warm ascents and cold descents!

16.5km done with 272m of climbing which I was happy with as it beats doing nothing! the hard part is getting out of bed tbh.

For the record, the freezing and ice etc didn't start till 7'ish. I had to de-ice my car at 7:30 when I left for work.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the first glimmers of Dawn at about 6:50'ish too.

Spring is coming...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I always pitied bullocks. Hated watching that being done. Using a nut cracking type tool to crush their ball sack veins always seemed kind of cruel to me.

Burdizzo. :cool:
    It's not the worst providing it's done early enough. Same with skulking cattle, they want to be done young. Both absolutely necessary though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

gadetra wrote: »
    Burdizzo. :cool:
    It's not the worst providing it's done early enough. Same with skulking cattle, they want to be done young. Both absolutely necessary though!

I once heard a bullock make a noise that was one of fear and terror, I'll never forgot it.

It's scream of pain and anguish made me stop everyone that day and say what the fuk are you all doing?

i have issues:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I once heard a bullock make a noise that was one of fear and terror, I'll never forgot it.

It's scream of pain and anguish made me stop everyone that day and say what the fuk are you all doing?

i have issues:)

Fair enough. Although I wouldn't wish fields full of young bulls on my worst enemy. They end up living inside most of their lives, pumped full of meal for export usually, they get slaughtered much younger than bullocks too I think. We never had no will we ever have them, as the father is largely on his own and you absolutely cannot trust them.

Vegetarianism is the only way for you I think Unknown Soldier! :P

Why would he give you a "what are you doing looking at my cow" look if it was a bullock?

Cows, bulls, bullocks, they stand in fields and eat grass, they're all the one to me son.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cows, bulls, bullocks, they stand in fields and eat grass, they're all the one to me son.

Are you Welsh??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mornings like this remind me not to grumble about wind, rain and concrete streets.

Beautiful morning for a spin. Cool, crisp, barely a breeze to be felt... Glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Agree with posters above, beautiful morning for a spin it was, went put for over two hours, 65km odd. Loved it.

Cannot wait for proper decent dry weather.

Cold, crisp, gloriously sunny and no real wind. Spun up to Drogheda and back along coast.
    Simply stunning day for a spin.
    Makes you feel good to be alive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

RobFowl wrote: »
    Cold, crisp, gloriously sunny and no real wind. Spun up to Drogheda and back along coast.
    Simply stunning day for a spin.
    Makes you feel good to be alive :)

Was it that nice that you did it twice ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lovely out ok, cool, no wind, reasonably dry. Did my usual Cruagh - Foxes - Kilternan run. Still the odd bit of snow on pine forest road, might stick if we get more at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

I should have dumped the winter bike it was so nice out. 36k loop for me at 30.4kph. Roll on spring and bib "shorts"

Started out with a bit of drizzle so put the rain jacket on. And then left it on the whole time. On top of a winter jersey and base layer. IT was cold. Dunsany summerhill. Kilcock. Lucan and home. 80k at 28.2 avg as I won't make club spins at the weekend. Enjoyable once I kept the body temp out of danger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did a proper FTP test on the turbo today. Followed the instructions on the laptop to a tee. Nice steady warm up then absolutely balls out in a fairly big gear for 2 minutes, 2 minutes recovery and the 20 minutes at as close to full pelt as I could maintain. I really went for it towards the end, the computer egging me on "Go on, Go on.... Faster Faster...Harder... That's it" like some kind of Nympho Mrs Doyle. My heart rate went higher than I've ever seen it just before the finish, gasping for breath and leaking sweat, spit and snot all over the place. Nearly threw up. 5 minutes cool down was more like 5 minute just trying to stay on the saddle.
    I hit finish on the laptop, my results flashed up on screen. I hit "save" but the big blob of sweat on the touch pad wasn't playing ball and the bastard cursor shot over to the "Don't Save" and discarded my spin.
    My legs are still sore an hour later. I'm fked if I'm doing that again anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

60 odd km from Tallaght and around Blessington. Nice and mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Did a proper FTP test on the turbo today. Followed the instructions on the laptop to a tee. Nice steady warm up then absolutely balls out in a fairly big gear for 2 minutes, 2 minutes recovery and the 20 minutes at as close to full pelt as I could maintain. I really went for it towards the end, the computer egging me on "Go on, Go on.... Faster Faster...Harder... That's it" like osome kind of Nympho Mrs Doyle. My heart rate went higher than I've ever seen it just before the finish, gasping for breath and leaking sweat, spit and snot all over the place. Nearly threw up. 5 minutes cool down was more like 5 minute just trying to stay on the saddle.
    I hit finish on the laptop, my results flashed up on screen. I hit "save" but the big blob of sweat on the touch pad wasn't playing ball and the bastard cursor shot over to the "Don't Save" and discarded my spin.
    My legs are still sore an hour later. I'm fked if I'm doing that again anytime soon.

Hehe ðŸ˜

Ton up today, over 29kph average once stops taken out, PB's on climbs and a Strava top 10 ...

Missed calls from An Post, Qick Step and even Sky .......

Ton up today, over 29kph average once stops taken out, PB's on climbs and a Strava top 10 ...

RobFowl wrote: »

Wrong number probably. They called me too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Headed out into the rain today: fine.
    Then came the sleet: fine.
    The came the snow: ...

20 mins later, the road was white, visibility was crap, speed was down and clouds were in. Temp was very cold.
    Headed for home.

Not worth going out when the best you hope for is an injury free ride and you don't get a chill.

1 hour in total, 20odd k. Right decision but feels wrong :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement