Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Today around 8am I passed a cyclist laid out on Clonskeagh road with an ambulance and quite a crowd of rubber-neckers in cars all in the cycle lane trying to catch a look. The irony was they were all in the cycle lane trying to get a good look.

Be careful out there people!!!

Ice maybe? I wimped out today, but I'd often go along Clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dazguy2000

Up an hour early and on the turbo for an hour using trainer road... Becoming much easier to get up early but sessions are never as good #coldmuscles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

RainyDay wrote: »
    Ice maybe? I wimped out today, but I'd often go along Clonskeagh.

Definitely possible, although it wasn't too bad when I was passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Stunning morning today and not one to be wasted.

Did Clonmel to Carrick via Mountain Rd onto Rathgormack into Carrick and up to N76 then home.

Some beautiful views to be had, really enjoyed the spin.

65km at 27km/h average with 683m elevation. Check out my 65.1 km Ride on Strava: [url] https://www.strava.com/activities/501887513[/url]

Feel free fo follow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

@dahat,

You should do the Sarah Dillon cycle on Sunday which is the same route as your cycle today, only in reverse.
    Or do the one on Saturday which is Clonmel to Kilkenny with a choice of 3 different routes.(100k,120k and 135k)
    Registration for both cycles is at the Park Hotel from 9.15 each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

I ventured out today (changed my mind from a 40K loop) to a more adventurous spin to Blessington (from Ratoath). Home via Naas/Clane/Maynooth. Lovely day albeit a bit chilly. My left hand did get very cold after a coffee in Blessington and took about 5 minutes to get normal feeling back into it. A new pair of gloves needed me thinks. Had a new merino base layer and a jacket, didn't need gilet. Merino rocks! Its my first one (all previous ones were synthetic) and was toasty all the way round and didn't get the chill you normally get restarting after coffee. Another one to be ordered. Don't know the roads well around Naas but found my way back to Maynooth. 104k at 29.5 avg with 560 metres climbed.

Vizzy wrote: »
    @dahat,

You should do the Sarah Dillon cycle on Sunday which is the same route as your cycle today, only in reverse.
    Or do the one on Saturday which is Clonmel to Kilkenny with a choice of 3 different routes.(100k,120k and 135k)
    Registration for both cycles is at the Park Hotel from 9.15 each day.

Very likely to do the Sunday spin as i wont have company for the longer Saturday spins plus they dont suit me time wise either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

dahat wrote: »
    Very likely to do the Sunday spin as i wont have company for the longer Saturday spins plus they dont suit me time wise either.

Fair play.

You can give Seskin Hill a go as well:D

Vizzy wrote: »
    Fair play.

You can give Seskin Hill a go as well:D

Oh i plan to try at least anyway plus Powers Pot as well. A shot of caffeine may help possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

Did abt 5km there on my mountain bike.im absolutley dying now.looks like its off the fags for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

~45 km today on a fairly rolling route. i got a garmin just last week and it turns out i spin a high cadence--100 rpm on average--so i tried doing some lower cadence work. feels quite different. need to work on it for when the gradient kicks up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I cycled my bike today with no mechanicals (or electricals). Thats good enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

First crash of the year. Cruising along on my commute when my front wheel slid out on a manhole cover and suddenly I was heading for the kerb. Managed to stay upright for a few seconds due to my awesome CX Skillz* before gravity got me - treating the good people of Ballsbridge to the edifying sight of me flailing about on my arse. :D

*Not an actual fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First proper spin on the new machine. Nice n smooth. Di2 will take some getting used to, especially with mitts on. Garmin sensors I bought yesterday didn't want to tell me anything so I rode to Swords and Richies sorted me out.
    Seat post keeps sinking into the frame so I need to sort that out, but an enjoyable enough 35km today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

First crash of the year.

Hope the bike is fine? Fair play for staying upright after the front wheel slip!

I had a couple of scary encounters with manhole covers recently. With wide tyres I'm recently running I learned to go straight through covers and potholes (because I can! :D) and had a few minor wheel slips when going along their metal edge...

Bike is grand. On wider tyres I think I would have had a chance of pulling back out of the slide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

daragh_ wrote: »
    First crash of the year. Cruising along on my commute when my front wheel slid out on a manhole cover and suddenly I was heading for the kerb. Managed to stay upright for a few seconds due to my awesome CX Skillz* before gravity got me - treating the good people of Ballsbridge to the edifying sight of me flailing about on my arse. :D

*Not an actual fact

I hope there were at least a few cries of dismay? Along the lines of won't somebody do something to help that older hipster gentleman?!

;p

I hope there were at least a few cries of dismay? Along the lines of won't somebody do something to help that older hipster gentleman?!

;p

Why you young whippersnapper!
    250px-That's_a_paddlin'.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

78k on a very enjoyable spin with a class mate from college and fellow boardsie, Fantastic day for a cycle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Post remembering that one should never "argue"* with people over the interminets....Had a lovely tootle out this afternoon.

Managed a few early morning spins at the start of the week but due to having to take the morning off unexpectedly, I got out this afternoon and the weather was great, kind of like "early" cold but nice sort of sunny but not, spring.

I was just after some fresh air tbh so I just did a spin around the Tallaght reservoirs. Managed to climb 424m for 29km.

Also saw some wonderful views and some lovely foals too.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BCQY59HS8qK/

If you don't think that is a super cute foal you have no soul!

FYI... I can't recommend those Aldi Pro bib long legged shorts enough. thier wind stopping panel is worth 10 times the money I paid.

*I was doing so well avoiding it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Decided that I really had to get some practice for tour de foothills after signing up for the 110. 54km/500m in a shade under two hours, twenty - I was hopeing to be a touch quicker, but it gives me hope if I can do that solo with no stops, then I'll manage twice that on the day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/502842683

Paddy

PS man alive I felt cold, thermal tights, base layer, thermal jersey and a windstopper jacket not withstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Was expecting rain,according to all the forecasts but very little came my way.
    Enniskerry-Roundwood-Glendalough-Wicklow Gap-Blessington-Manor Kilbride-Sally Gap and mostly downhill from there home.

Decent amount of cyclists out too.

A word of caution..the road from the Sally Gap junction to Glencree has really deteriorated...some huge potholes along it and lot of loose chippings.

120.1 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/502756122

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

An easy 75km today. The inside of my legs got real sore from what I through was chafing. Turns out I'd worn two holes through the padding on a pair of Castelli bib tights. Not impressed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Stillorgan to Summerhill,

to see a bit of racing, didn't go to the finish or anything but just loitered on one of the corners and went up the course a bit for a goo.
    Stayed for a couple of laps. Chatted with a few DW marshalls......

Nice day, dry, fingers got a tad cold in the end. Still not warm weather.
    Did a few detours off my planned route around a few lanes. Nice roads, dead flat, change of scenery does no harm.

Now, am I up to going out on the club spin tomo. :D
    Doubt it. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

101km @ 25km avg

Clondalkin-Phoenix pk-Leixlip-Clondalkin-Brittas-Blessington-Saggart-Clondalkin

Lovely day for it aside from a quick shower.

Pre Breakfast spin of 50km at a steady 24.9km/h, stayed locally but finished with my first puncture.

A very nice morning even if it was a little cold, plenty snow on the hills which made for some lovely views of the mountains.

It's a toss up for tomorrow, 65km Charity Spin or go for a 100k spin with a club rider who is pretty quick, decisions......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Drove over to Summerhil, warmed up for 8kms then started race.
    800m later (while still neutralised) bang and blow-out with wrecked tyre.
    Walk back to car and coffee while watching team-mate finish 8th in A4...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So last week you were in the mix throughout and it was chaos with crashes everywhere. This week you lasted a minute and no incidents to report.....

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

46km @27.5 kmph Dunshaughlin to Leixlip onto Lucan and straight up the old N3 to home.

Did some changes to amounts of my Asthma meds and working a lot better now.

Had windproof tights, Castelli Alpha jacket and flanders baselayer and didnt really feel the cold that much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Cycled to a rugby match today. Cold but the cycle kept me warm. Actual nice day to cycle, might sound strange with the coldness it was however good day maybe the election and Rugby match and GAA match meant everyone was busy but going around the roads nice and calm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement