Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

First day back in the saddle following keyhole surgery on a hernia 4 weeks ago today. Glad to say no ill effects after 56km of Phoenix Park laps. Perfect day for it, though a little windy. Now I just need to get in plenty of km's to get the fitness level back.

http://app.strava.com/activities/46366399

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    4th day coming off a flu. Felt a bit better so I thought a quick 10k would pick me up. Last 5k uphill and lungs and throat on fire. Cold air like needles. Will never try it again.

That way lies pneumonia, speaking from recent experience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

That way lies pneumonia, speaking from recent experience...

No joke. 3am feels like I've been speared through the chest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Navan - Robinstown - Dunderry- Trim - Kilmessan - Dunsany - Hil of Tara - home. 56k. Cold headwind in the wrong places but a lovely morning for it. Just one incident. Young thug in Dunderry called me something I couldn't repeat on here and threw a stone at me. Missed. Otherwise grand, not even a noisy dog to contend with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Decided to do a quick 25km spin this afternoon. would have gone longer but want to go to some stuff at the galway food festivle from 4 onwards. checked wind direction.before leaving the house, still managed to cycle uphill into a headwind for the hardest part of the spin... stuff like that takes a special kind of gobsh*te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

Seaneh wrote: »
    Decided to do a quick 25km spin this afternoon. would have gone longer but want to go to some stuff at the galway food festivle from 4 onwards. checked wind direction.before leaving the house, still managed to cycle uphill into a headwind for the hardest part of the spin... stuff like that takes a special kind of gobsh*te

there speaks the voice of humility LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

What do you use to check the wind around Galway?

paulgalway wrote: »
    What do you use to check the wind around Galway?

weather app on.my android tells me speed (27kph, gusts of upto 47kph) and direction (south easterly).

i think its an accuweather app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Drogheda - Naul - Balbriggan - Julianstown - Drogheda

43 km in total.

Same again tomorrow with an extension. Hopefully 60km.

Maybe 80km then on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

First spin in a few weeks, out towards St Margarets, Dunshaughlin and back through Clonee, wind was a bit nippy when the sun went in, but glad to see some decent weather nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

weather app on.my android tells me speed (27kph, gusts of upto 47kph) and direction (south easterly).

i think its an accuweather app?

I use http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/galway
    I kitesurf during the summer and it works out to be pretty exact

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SpaceGerbil

Looked like a great morning so headed out through Curragha, up to skyrne, hill of Tara and over to Trim, rathmolyon, sumerhill, dunboyne and back to ratoath. around 100k, absolutely wrecked, the wind was a challenge for the last 40K and it really took it out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

First time back on the bike since a charity cycle from Maynooth to Galway and back last weekend. Went Coolmine, Lucan, Leixlip, Maynooth (meeting others here), Dunsany, Hill of Tara, Kilmessan and then (splitting from the other group) back through Batterstown and Clonee to get home. 89km all in, and barring a tough headwind on the last 30km (once we got onto the Trim-Batterstown road) it was enjoyable.

It also helped that my bike had gotten a long overdue service during the week, and so it was a joy to cycle compared to last week (thanks Holyboy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Nice easy spin with some of the beginners in the Tri club. I think 3 out of the 6 had never cycled in a group before but picked it up easy enough.

NAC-->Hollystown-->Kilbride-->Ashbourne-->Ratoath-->Kilbride-->Clonnee-->Clonsilla-->Porterstown-->Lap of the Park-->Castleknock-->NAC

Around 60km all in and all fairly low HR stuff. Wind was savage in places and looked down to see low 20's km on the clock when I was being asked to slow it down a bit as others were struggling despite the rather large wind breaker (me!) in front of them.

Enjoyed it, especialy the quick sprint round the park albeit sans Strava KOM's. Also first time out on new bike and it felt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pikefisher

68 k solo today had a brown pants moment on my first descent , front QR seems to come loose wheel started to wobble and the bike was all over the road . tough head wind for 35 k i am now wrecked and wondering do i need new skewers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭rob w

Did 20k in the phoenix park today, was lovely out but a bit windy at times! Started using strava today for the first time, had been using runkeeper before, but strava is so much better......got my name on to the leaderboards for a few segments, although im just propping up everybody else above me, will be a while before im getting any KOM's i think! Strava will make every ride a bit more interesting now though i think, trying to beat previous records and that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 High Rouleur

pikefisher wrote: »
    68 k solo today had a brown pants moment on my first descent , front QR seems to come loose wheel started to wobble and the bike was all over the road . tough head wind for 35 k i am now wrecked and wondering do i need new skewers .

Had similar speed wobble at about 50km/hr on straight downhill today. Can't figure out what caused it as this has never happened before (I have been on this route frequently). I am a poor descender at the best of times so this really doesn' t help. Checked skewers etc. after and all seemed fine. Would a crosswind have any effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Had something similar today re the wobbles. Checked the data afterwards and was doing 57kph at the time. Think it was a crosswind coupled with the crap road surface that caused mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

27km on the mountain bike - I miss my road bike. 7 more weeks to wait for my Canyon Roadlite:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

got out of work at 3 and did a bigger loop home. It's only 8 km direct but did 25 in 3 degrees and sleet, so I deserved the whiskey and beer when I got in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Got out yesterday after a 10 day break (thanks to head-cold & buckets of phlegm) for ~60km, I had 2 routes in mind but that changed as I went along.

I started off on a 2km @6% climb, just to warm me up !, then I put in a good effort on a 8km TT segment, but alas Strava didn't pick it up, doh!, then after a few kms I spot a tractor, put it in the big ring and the chase starts, big effort for 500m and mission accomplished, and I'm feeling chuffed as there's a few up-and-overs that a tow is greatly appreciated but.............he puts on his blinker and veers off left, doh!, back to meandering.

A few kms later & as I turn for home, yikes, I realize I'm gonna be into the wind for quite a few kms, doh!, mmmmmm......what's the quickest way home, legs are lifeless, chest is deflated, and then..............out from a side-road comes another tractor & his large corn-sower, and I get a tow for the next 8km (into the wind) = sweeeeeet (not that I would recommend this behaviour tho).

It's amazing because after I left him and still had 6km to go, I had fresh legs now and the body was refreshed !

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Out for about 80km yesterday - Dundrum, Bray, Kilcole, Newtownmountkennedy, Roundwood, Enniskerry, home.

Freezing, biting wind seemed to be in our faces all day except for when we headed due east to Roundwood (which was a climb -not too hard but bad surface). Legs are stiff today.

The higher part of the mountains seems to absolutely covered in thick snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

101km done today, out to castle knock - santry - loop of howth - through town to rathmines - rathfarnham - sandyford and then home :)

Hit 71km/h going down the sutton side of howth, not bad for 100kg+ :D

Brings this weeks total to 350km :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

90k odd for me today, took the backroads around NCD and got a bit lost, managed to locate every lumpy bit of road going upwards when the wind was head on. Kinda surprised myself on each hill as I expected to bonk but didn't. Even the last 15k I was waiting for Mr Bonk to tap on my shoulder but got home feeling ok. Big nosebag for dinner and a lazy afternoon , but the legs are a bit tired now

Got out yesterday after a 10 day break (thanks to head-cold & buckets of phlegm) for ~60km, I had 2 routes in mind but that changed as I went along.

I started off on a 2km @6% climb, just to warm me up !, then I put in a good effort on a 8km TT segment, but alas Strava didn't pick it up, doh!, then after a few kms I spot a tractor, put it in the big ring and the chase starts, big effort for 500m and mission accomplished, and I'm feeling chuffed as there's a few up-and-overs that a tow is greatly appreciated but.............he puts on his blinker and veers off left, doh!, back to meandering.

A few kms later & as I turn for home, yikes, I realize I'm gonna be into the wind for quite a few kms, doh!, mmmmmm......what's the quickest way home, legs are lifeless, chest is deflated, and then..............out from a side-road comes another tractor & his large corn-sower, and I get a tow for the next 8km (into the wind) = sweeeeeet (not that I would recommend this behaviour tho).

It's amazing because after I left him and still had 6km to go, I had fresh legs now and the body was refreshed !

You've been reading too many Beasty threads, he has ya drafting tractors now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Got in from work at 02.30 new time, back up at 8am and drive for an hour via a mate's house to pick up himself and his bike, then drive to Clonmel to another mate's house. Kit up, and head on a ~70km cycle, the first of the year on the road bike. Expecting cold but mostly dry conditions. House via the the bypass, past Marlfield, back in on the dungarvan road, up past the Clonmel Golf Course, into Rathgurmack, on to Carrick-on-Suir, then back to Clonmel. On the long straight from Clonmel to Rathgurmack it started to rain/sleet and it was *cold*, about 3 degrees all the way, with gusty 30-40kph headwinds from the east. Saturated and borderline hypothermic, we hammered it back to Clonmel with the wind at our backs from Carrick. It was cold enough that my fingers stopped working, and that comes from someone used to cold conditions from the kayaking..

Very tough raw day, 3h 17m for 69km, ~790m climbed in total over that distance. Runtastic suggests I burned 1800 kCal. Glad I did it, but the body feels a little broken right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Did the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge 80km in Lahinch.
    Very cold,with Headwinds, tailwinds and very dangerous crosswinds (fighting hard to keep the bike up, wind trying to kick your front wheel off !!)
    A tough course made harder by the very strong winds, Stunning scenery though!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Did the Atlantic Challenge too. Hadn't cycled for a couple of weeks and found it extremely tough. Very cold and windy (nearly got swiped a few times) as you say but the hills were a bloody killer. The first Category 2 Hill at the Cliffs was ok as it came early on but Corkscrew Hill at 60k nearly did for me ... it seemed to go on for absolutely ages ... and the two unexpected hills at the 70k mark were just bloody cruel. Still recovering this morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

another atlantic challenge particiapnt here. didn;t mind the hills, corkscrew definitely tougher, was passing a lot of people on the way up who were struggling big time

the wind was a different matter, the flat spokes on my kysriums were catching it big time, was a real battle against it. honestly thought one gust was actually going to stop me on a downhill bit. was really a day to grit the teeth and just drive it home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Myksyk wrote: »
    Did the Atlantic Challenge too. Hadn't cycled for a couple of weeks and found it extremely tough. Very cold and windy (nearly got swiped a few times) as you say but the hills were a bloody killer. The first Category 2 Hill at the Cliffs was ok as it came early on but Corkscrew Hill at 60k nearly did for me ... it seemed to go on for absolutely ages ... and the two unexpected hills at the 70k mark were just bloody cruel. Still recovering this morning.

Yep some day on the Burren, i must say considering it was a UCI sanctioned event i was underwhelmed by the organisation surrounding the day. Stewarding and signage was fine but we didn't see any mechanical support vehicle, no emergncy support number was given out, although we did see the civil defence ambulance on the route.
    The feed station was a van at the side of the road, and at the finish it was a bit of a let down. Cross the line and head off.
    As usual the An Post sets the standard for Sportives/ fun cycles, This event has a bit to go to reach that standard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement