Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dazguy2000

SERC 13km TT - God I'd forgotten how hard short TT's were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

RobFowl wrote: »
    Drove over to Summerhil, warmed up for 8kms then started race.
    800m later (while still neutralised) bang and blow-out with wrecked tyre.
    Walk back to car and coffee while watching team-mate finish 8th in A4...

Heard that! Sucks. Your man was very strong for the bits of the race I was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Lovely spin this morning. Delighted not get soaked. Cold out, but definitely a feeling of spring in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Lovely and fresh out today. Managed 82.5km @ 31.5 kmph with 850m of climbing. Pretty pleased I'm finally getting some form back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/504382512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

62kms this morning. Greystones out to Kilmashoge Lane and back. Only my second time on Kilmashoge and the first time to do it without stopping so delighted with that! When i got home my wife was outside the apartment with my daughter playing on her scooter so i went over to them. I then could not unclip and keeled over right in front of them! Actually think I sprained my wrist as it's very sore now but my wife thought it was hilarious!

https://www.strava.com/activities/504406410

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

70k out around Wexford today. tagged along with a local club.

Fantastic day, blue sky, high temps and good craic.
    Wind was a bit shi*e but can't have it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

ezra_ wrote: »
    70k out around Wexford today. tagged along with a local club.

Fantastic day, blue sky, high temps and good craic.
    Wind was a bit shi*e but can't have it all!

glad you enjoyed it . hope to see you again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Absolutely beautiful, if chilly, morning in Sligo. Had a big feed and a nice few pints last night so I took a little while to get going but I headed to Truskmore early enough for some penance. About 30 km of flattish road and then the first section from the base of the Horseshoe kicked right up beyond 10% for a kilometer to teach me a lesson.
    Got up to the gate, lifted the bike over and off I went up to the mast. I did it last year but obviously I hadn't taught myself enough of a lesson.
    It's brutal. 4 km @10% but that doesn't really convey the false flats and savagery of the ramps. For the first km or so you can kind of pace yourself but then the kicks come and they just keep coming. Every time I looked at the garmin it was 15%, then you get a little break of 20 m at 8% and then right back up to 15 again. At one stage it was reading 25%. I know this because I was chewing the handlebar and doing 45 rpm in the 32 cog so I could see the screen.
    Then there's the downhill section followed by pure torture of nearly a km well into double figures before the last 500m where it drops to 6-8% and you can actually accelerate for the first time.
    There was still some snow at the top and it was bitter enough but the views spectacular. I was on a bit of a mission though so after a very quick stop I hurtled down again.
    It's a very technical descent. I'm not a bad descender but this was close to the limit of sensibility. The road was lovely and dry though so at least that took a little bit of the danger out.
    Got to the bottom and decided "Feck it, I'm going again" and off up I headed but at a much slower pace, stopping to take a few pics and admire the scenery.
    Back down again and headed for home but when I got out from under the mountain and onto the main road my legs were completely shot. Had a tough 30 km home into a slight headwind and was very glad to get in the door.

88km, 1400m climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/504825746

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

What a cracking day for a spin today was!

Went off on the Charity spin with a mate, club cyclist, all was fine and dandy till Seskin Hill, my that was tough and as i went at it too hard I had to walk for a bit. Sickened but so be it.

Decided to pass on Powers the Pot as had good work done to that point.

Rest of the spin was great and kept up a good pace thanks to a friend i met on the road. Really got a good feel for desending today as we cut loose down the Mountain Road.

Really enjoyable spin if a little sore this evening.

https://www.strava.com/activities/504430298

Edit : When you hear someone commenting on how nice your bike brand is in white it's feels good!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Very enjoyable club spin this morning from Swords to Oldbridge (good tea brack & coffee) to Bettystown and back to Swords. Great not to have to worry about floods or ice. Cool easterly breeze that seemed to be NE on the way out and SE on the way back.
    122km in 5:10' incl home to Swords and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Very enjoyable club spin this morning from Swords to Oldbridge (good tea brack & coffee) to Bettystown and back to Swords. Great not to have to worry about floods or ice. Cool easterly breeze that seemed to be NE on the way out and SE on the way back.
    122km in 5:10' incl home to Swords and back.
    Did you replace that rear tyre? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Did you replace that rear tyre? :)

And the front - I think it might have been overdue somehow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Got out yesterday with the club for 88km with just under a 1000m of climbing with 25k average, winter training going well . Mixture of mobility ,strength and kettle bell training with club spin on a Sunday..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Yesterday, Sunday. 75 km with 1,267m of climbing.

I'm all about the climbing, even though I am brutal at it. Like really brutal. tough too :/

Makes me happy, so meh! :)

Great views to be had from heights!

Noted that those bleedin' yellow lenes on my glasses are very deceiving, you'd think it was a grand day out till you take them off (for photos... ala #iminstagramingthecrapoutofeverything) and then realise it's 2-3 degrees out.

That aside, Butter mountain is a right See you next Tuesday and well done to the sap who has a whole pile of flat after it, as a segment on Strava. Due to my stop on the "segment" my Strava time is brutal.

I pulled into the front of a house to do a few checks as I had no HRM activity, which meant A: I died coming up Butter Mountain or B: My HRM was borked.

I think I died, but have yet to maximise my Ghosty stuff.

Recovery spin this morning... (don't even know what that really is, bar a short spin after a tough one) was grand. 18.3 and HRM confirmed I have Ghost status.

Changed battery on HRM this afternoon, Ghost status to be confirmed.

Booo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Shame I missed out on the better weather yesterday. Only had enough time for 40K out towards Malahide and back. Lashing rain and 3 degrees. Great craic!

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1068101341

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

I got 33k into a pre-brekky spin before the rear tire gave up existing (I really should check tires more carefully when cleaning). Nice hole in the tire, so replaced the tube and stuffed a bit of plastic in to cover the hole. I only got about 40 psi into it and limped home. I was only 8k from home when it happened and had a nice tailwind all the way home. I was enroute to collect my car from the garage but now SWMBO has to drop me down. Best laid plans and all that, eh.

What with my now working/new battery HRM, it appears I am not a Ghosty (well in not this dimension), but my missus does think I am dead inside, which is kind of close. Apparently all Nordies over 40 have "issues", apparently...

Having left the gaff slightly before 6 am this morning I went into a mini hell. Why that weather didn't have a "Storm" name is beyond me. I nearly had to put my foot down going up Stocking lane at one point.

'Twas tough!

20km done with 363m of climbing by doing Stocking Ave/lane x 3

It's better that having to go to a gym or use a Turbo as far as I am concerned.

Great to see daylight kicking in at about 6:35, makes a huge difference on many levels.

Roll on better mornings and days. My urge to do my Tallaght reservoirs loop/spin in the mornings is strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I left work in Swords this afternoon just after 1730 to head home to Terenure.

The wind was strong. I use the Aero Weather app to get the current weather at Dublin Airport to give me an indication of what to expect. It told me the wind was gusting at 40kts from the west (well 250 degrees).

All went well for the first 3km then I reached the point on the R132 where it passes the approach lights of the runway. Fcuk me, the wind was strong. I decided to use the cycle path for safety. I had to drop into the small ring to keep a decent cadence. As I passed an intersection, I heard a mechanical roar from my left which startled me, no, frightened me into expecting a large vehicle approaching - nothing to worry about it was just an Aer Lingus A320 on short finals. Silly me. No doubt the pilot was struggling with the wind as I was. As the pilot touched down and engaged reverse, I discovered that my front derailleur wouldn't shift back to the big ring so I was stuck in the small the whole way home.

As I reached Santry there was an incident with ambulances and Garda vehicles. I didn't look at it in case it was something that would bother me.

So I carried on through Whitehall and Drumcondra. On Dorset St. as I was stopped at traffic lights, a man stepped into the cycle lane and asked me for directions to Phibsboro, to which I obliged. The lights went green and he remained in the cycle lane....... "Eh, mate...."

Not to far on, I had to swerve to avoid a pedestrian who sauntered on to cycle lane in Caple Street. Less than a minute later I had to let a roar at a lad who was about to door me.

All the while I had to deal with the wind and dodge fallen/discarded/abandoned election poster cable ties.

But I got home safe and sound to a nice warm shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Absolutely beautiful, if chilly, morning in Sligo. Had a big feed and a nice few pints last night so I took a little while to get going but I headed to Truskmore early enough for some penance. About 30 km of flattish road and then the first section from the base of the Horseshoe kicked right up beyond 10% for a kilometer to teach me a lesson.
    Got up to the gate, lifted the bike over and off I went up to the mast. I did it last year but obviously I hadn't taught myself enough of a lesson.
    It's brutal. 4 km @10% but that doesn't really convey the false flats and savagery of the ramps. For the first km or so you can kind of pace yourself but then the kicks come and they just keep coming. Every time I looked at the garmin it was 15%, then you get a little break of 20 m at 8% and then right back up to 15 again. At one stage it was reading 25%. I know this because I was chewing the handlebar and doing 45 rpm in the 32 cog so I could see the screen.
    Then there's the downhill section followed by pure torture of nearly a km well into double figures before the last 500m where it drops to 6-8% and you can actually accelerate for the first time.
    There was still some snow at the top and it was bitter enough but the views spectacular. I was on a bit of a mission though so after a very quick stop I hurtled down again.
    It's a very technical descent. I'm not a bad descender but this was close to the limit of sensibility. The road was lovely and dry though so at least that took a little bit of the danger out.
    Got to the bottom and decided "Feck it, I'm going again" and off up I headed but at a much slower pace, stopping to take a few pics and admire the scenery.
    Back down again and headed for home but when I got out from under the mountain and onto the main road my legs were completely shot. Had a tough 30 km home into a slight headwind and was very glad to get in the door.

88km, 1400m climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/504825746

Haven't been up there in a while, true torture though, the scenery makes it worth it!

Bo9fQsUIQAAAbRU.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

The Worst, most soul destroying cycle of my life, headwind for 15km had me questioning why anyone cycles in this country. 2nd day of spring, my god this winter seems like it's been here for last 8 months. Fried from it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Dazguy2000

Ah Man... Sufferfest "A very Dark Place" with trainerroad keeping me honest! Nearly killed myself but no better way to push yourself beyond the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Mountain Road spin, and Seskin Hill.....as a sprinter I hate it and have burst tyres and broken a chain on it...........but never walked it!!
    Did you notice the memorial to Joe kelly at the top just before the Dungarvan road junction. Sad day Joe was killed after climbing Seskin on the Comeragh 100.
    Never climbed the Pot and hardly likely to now.
    Try the Scrouty, the old road near the Curraghmore wall is steep.

dahat wrote: »
    What a cracking day for a spin today was!

Went off on the Charity spin with a mate, club cyclist, all was fine and dandy till Seskin Hill, my that was tough and as i went at it too hard I had to walk for a bit. Sickened but so be it.

Decided to pass on Powers the Pot as had good work done to that point.

Rest of the spin was great and kept up a good pace thanks to a friend i met on the road. Really got a good feel for desending today as we cut loose down the Mountain Road.

Really enjoyable spin if a little sore this evening.

https://www.strava.com/activities/504430298

Edit : When you hear someone commenting on how nice your bike brand is in white it's feels good!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Non eventful really, fell outside guinesses after avoiding the known pothole then got knocked down 500 meters from the house.. nightmare of a day really...

Brainz wrote: »
    Non eventful really, fell outside guinesses after avoiding the known pothole then got knocked down 500 meters from the house.. nightmare of a day really...

Sorry to read about that. Hope you are OK.

Had a lovely spin out this morning. Only 1.5 degrees but the roads were dry and there was only a bit of wind. Good to see dawn at about 6:30 or 6:24 if you're anal, like myself.

Went for a bit of a wander around roads I wouldn't usually do and finished it off with heading up Stocking lane and down Gunney hill, going down it in daylight was just great tbh. makes a huge difference. I kind of no longer have to "not look at the grave yard" in case I see a ghost. :o

23km done giving me 61km since Monday.

Early morning cycling just rocks IMO. There is something just beautiful about it, very peaceful, and seeing your world at that time of the morning, seeing Dublin "Wake up" is wonderful too.

Gas really.

Plus I've only about 5 smokes in me at that stage of the day, which probably helps, sap that I am.

dawn this morning..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCe3WSOy8oT/?taken-by=david_r72

I give up trying to embed it/instagram, prick of a thing tbh.

Pointers would be appreciated!

Hash tag!!! #iminstagramingthecrapoutofeverything

Sorry to read about that. Hope you are OK.

Had a lovely spin out this morning. Only 1.5 degrees but the roads were dry and there was only a bit of wind. Good to see dawn at about 6:30 or 6:24 if you're anal, like myself.

Went for a bit of a wander around roads I wouldn't usually do and finished it off with heading up Stocking lane and down Gunney hill, going down it in daylight was just great tbh. makes a huge difference. I kind of no longer have to "not look at the grave yard" in case I see a ghost. :o

23km done giving me 61km since Monday.

Early morning cycling just rocks IMO. There is something just beautiful about it, very peaceful, and seeing your world at that time of the morning, seeing Dublin "Wake up" is wonderful too.

Gas really.

Plus I've only about 5 smokes in me at that stage of the day, which probably helps, sap that I am.

dawn this morning..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCe3WSOy8oT/?taken-by=david_r72

I give up trying to embed it/instagram, prick of a thing tbh.

Pointers would be appreciated!

Hash tag!!! #iminstagramingthecrapoutofeverything

Some great pics. #needtoridemybikemore

ronoc wrote: »
    Some great pics. #needtoridemybikemore

Cheers :)

I give up on anonymity. The FBI know, damn smart phones.

Self Compliant barcoding FTW!

I think this is the first time I've posted my Strava.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2505511

I'm far from a cyclist, I just got addicted to cycling around on a bike and am still loving it :)

Probably more so cos I'm real nosey and suffer from serious house envy!

I like looking at peoples houses.

This was me a few years ago too.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87772887&postcount=2240

I'll post this for those who think that it can't be done, who read here and find it tough.

You've done 5km, well done, every little counts. Don't mind people here doing huge KMs. Every KM is a moment outside and not sitting on your ass.

You'd be surprised by yourself.

Cheers :)

I give up on anonymity. The FBI know, damn smart phones.

Self Compliant barcoding FTW!

I think this is the first time I've posted my Strava.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2505511

I'm far from a cyclist, I just got addicted to cycling around on a bike and am still loving it :)

Probably more so cos I'm real nosey and suffer from serious house envy!

I like looking at peoples houses.

This was me a few years ago too.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87772887&postcount=2240

I'll post this for those who think that it can't be done, who read here and find it tough.

You've done 5km, well done, every little counts. Don't mind people here doing huge KMs. Every KM is a moment outside and not sitting on your ass.

You'd be surprised by yourself.

:) Mileage has been crap so far this year, was much better last year. I blame the weather. I dare say we've crossed paths without knowing a few times up stocking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

A lovely day but a bit breezy today to get back into cycling.
    A 45km route along the coast Dungarvan to Ardmore and back the n25.
    Wind at my back on the way out but a slow slog back the n25.
    Hadn't been on the bike for more than 9km at once for over a couple of years now so happy enough with that.

Went to Enniskerry and back. The weather was good but on the chilly side. Loads of people out for a spin.

All the adjustments Ive made to my bike, new lower and longer stem, changed seat position and new cleats seem to be working well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

Clondalkin-Phoenix Park-Castleknock-Clonsilla-Dunboyne-Maynooth-Kilkock-Clane-Celbridge-Clondalkin

91km @ 25.8km/h average - mild this morning - very cold on the way home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement