Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Jan Laco wrote: »
    A lovely day but a bit breezy today to get back into cycling.
    A 45km route along the coast Dungarvan to Ardmore and back the n25.
    Wind at my back on the way out but a slow slog back the n25.
    Hadn't been on the bike for more than 9km at once for over a couple of years now so happy enough with that.

Was on a stretch of the N25 today, nasty headwind i tell you.

Shade over 100km done today, Clonmel-Carrick-Dungarvan-Ballymac and home. Failed on Seskin again so going to leave climbs of 20% in places alone for the time being.

38km Headwind has me broke up just now with two sore kness as well which could be the result of a cleat adjustment. Right knee seems to rotate on the down pedal which is odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Did the Audax Ireland Midleton 200 today,along with about 70 other riders. Great route taking in Cork/Tipp/Waterford,the weather was great and not a drop of rain.Thanks to the organiser for a first class day out,a really well run event.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

did a version of de ronde van cork's hill route around cork city. great route, but challenging, if any of you are familiar with it. 73km, 1300m.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

lovely spin today,did about 100 metres on my unicycle,going was tough but i made it through

going to try for more tomorrow,hopefully in my full clown gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Very enjoyable first sportif of the year this morning. The Haul d'Naul went from Swords to Rush,Skerries, Balbriggan, Naul, the back of the Airport and back to Swords. Perfect conditions, well organised and good numbers especially from Swords and Clontarf CCs. Well done to the organisers, Dave Masterson and Shane Graham, who must have raised a tidy sum for Downes Syndrome Ireland.
    Including the spin out to Swords and back home with a few diversions*, it worked out at 101k in 3:34' at 28.2kph average.

* no more 99.9s for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Very enjoyable first sportif of the year this morning. The Haul d'Naul went from Swords to Rush,Skerries, Balbriggan, Naul, the back of the Airport and back to Swords. Perfect conditions, well organised and good numbers especially from Swords and Clontarf CCs. Well done to the organisers, Dave Masterson and Shane Graham, who must have raised a tidy sum for Downes Syndrome Ireland.
    Including the spin out to Swords and back home with a few diversions*, it worked out at 101k in 3:34' at 28.2kph average.

* no more 99.9s for me.
    Kudos for holding the pace on that front group. I eased off when we got to Rush as it was a bit quick for my legs today. Ended up running out of steam at the back of the airport and I was starving at that point. I could have done with a banana or something. Great turnout for the organisers considering it didn't get much publicity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nursing the remains of a hangover today, so decided the canal would be an easier option than the hills. Bit of a mistake, as I'd slicks on and the mud was deep enough in spots. Left the canal a few kms after Ardclough after having to walk a fair bit in the mud. Wheels were spinning fine, just that no forward motion resulted. Got a bit lost and found myself in Kill looking for Sallins, and then back tracked and landed in Straffan (which seems to be my bikes ancestral home as this is the third time being lost in that area ending up in Straffan). There Sallins, Naas, backroads to Ballymore Eustace, Blessington, Manor Kilbride, Ballinascorney and home. 5hr35 for a measly 102k, and I reckon there's that much mud on the bike that its a few kg heavier. Anyhoo, hangover gone so job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gofaster

Sat 5th March
    Distance: 96km
    Climbing: 1274m
    Avg speed: 24 kph

It's been a while since I posted. Thinking of starting a training log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Kudos for holding the pace on that front group. I eased off when we got to Rush as it was a bit quick for my legs today. Ended up running out of steam at the back of the airport and I was starving at that point. I could have done with a banana or something. Great turnout for the organisers considering it didn't get much publicity.

I was similar to you. Pushed a bit to hard out of naul to catch a big group in front and ran out of steam around 15km to go. Very thankful of a lad from Ashbourne for dragging me along then for a bit, tried sharing the work with him for a bit but dropped off again nearing the end of the runway.

My first ever Sportive and really enjoyed it. 69.9km in 2:33:51 Averaged 27.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Actually looking at the flybys it was your group I was with for a good portion Wishbone Ash. You pulled ahead up the Naul and I tried bridging up but lost you coming through Ballyboughal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

KingMonkey wrote: »
    lovely spin today,did about 100 metres on my unicycle,going was tough but i made it through

going to try for more tomorrow,hopefully in my full clown gear
    if you can do it while juggling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Lovely morning for a spin. The breeze wore me down going west on the summerhill road. 10k chewing the stem had me begging for a turn down to culmullen. Hit that and kicked up the speed. Another short section of breeze and turned for home with a cross breeze and tried to give it welly all the way home. 54k avg 30.1k. Decided to bin the leftover Takeaway from last night as it just didn't look very appetising. Scrambled eggs for lunch instead. Nom.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

First A4 race - Was very nervous at the start.
    Weeks before weren't great as was organised Cycle Against Suicide spinoff, then training disappeared and I got a man flu.
    On Sunday morning I woke up chocked. But for it was hosted by my club I would have walked.
    Weather was cat, cold and raining. Went with a base layer, jersey, arms warmers and gilet.
    10km rollout and then 78 race. Around 35 did it.
    I had a target of not getting dropped and not finishing last.
    I got to where I expected to be dropped, rolling hills (I HATE HILLS) and was fine, legs felt good, back wasn't at me, heart rate seemed fine.
    I was at the front at the turn off onto the next challenge, the next climb was around 15km away. I got it in around 5th, I was happy there, go over it no bother.
    After that I wasn't sure what would happen. We had another few rolling hills, I got out front on one of them and took it well, after that pain hit me in the hip and hamstring. I thought at one stage I would have to pull out, but I said there was no way in hell in this 1st race I was pulling out.
    Last big climb, locals new this would make or break lads. I was down around 6th and we kicked hard, I was on the limit and at 97% HR, but I got to the top of it, then we powered on through the village. About 7km from home we were down to 12.
    I was struggling but I felt I had a kick in me. I stood back towards the back, around 500m from home I decided to push up, I went off the front and felt ready to kick hard, but then the quads went on me and I limped home in 12th. Was annoyed with myself but happy to "over achieve" ish!.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed 112 km yesterday on a Billy No Mates spin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/510308331

Also calculated I've ingested over 7,300 cigarettes since this time last year, and that a very conservative estimate.

Not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

About 45km yesterday out to Lucan via the park and back via the canal. Made the mistake of not eating enough before heading out so the hills/headwind combo of the park were ropey at best. Forgot about those irritating gates on the canal path.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also calculated I've ingested over 7,300 cigarettes since this time last year, and that a very conservative estimate.

No just the lungs either, top of the range new carbon road bike in fag money got away from you there. Think of the bikes for gods sake :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

smacl wrote: »
    No just the lungs either, top of the range new carbon road bike in fag money got away from you there. Think of the bikes for gods sake :pac:

meme08c0e02dad4aaef4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Took the scenic route home last night. Dawson street to Killiney via Johnie foxes. (Around 33km with 340m elevation) Building up the hills for the Wicklow200.
    A good bit of ice towards the top so take it handy going down.

Some great scenery along the way.

[url] https://www.strava.com/activities/510820598[/url]

I was pretty sore and tired after Saturday so passed on a Sunday spin altogether.

Local spin and a nice route really, windy heading out but nice on way home. I clocked a top speed of 67km/h which was a pr for me, good fast decent with a tailwind, nothing better.

Weekend looks good and mild and dare i evsn contemplate a spin with just the Summer shorts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Nearly 40 km of wind fighting today. Headed up to Balbriggsn via Man o War, back along the coast as far as Rush, then Lusk and Skerries. Saw a few signs still up from Haul d Naul, shame I was away for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I cycle about 100km every week, not sure it is at all impressive for a thread like this but I love it! It is the best thing ever - no matter the weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Lavinia wrote: »
    I cycle about 100km every week, not sure it is at all impressive for a thread like this but I love it! It is the best thing ever - no matter the weather!

The distance you cycle is irrelevant. What you have captured perfectly in your post is how it makes you feel and that's what's important here! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Nearly 40 km of wind fighting today. Headed up to Balbriggsn via Man o War, back along the coast as far as Rush, then Lusk and Skerries. Saw a few signs still up from Haul d Naul, shame I was away for that.

is it ever not windy up around there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

The distance you cycle is irrelevant. What you have captured perfectly in your post is how it makes you feel and that's what's important here! :)
    Thanks Trooper, I'm glad to hear : )

I really love it. All about it. The wind, the sun, the rain the struggle, the pain in the muscles, the "nature" on my face (I even cycled when it was minus and snowing recently : o)), the smile to other cycle-fellas on the road, cycle "with no hands", feeling of freedom (and yes, exercise), the "work" around the bike..

I think it's the best thing that happened to me in last couple of years :o :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I really love it. All about it. The wind, the sun, the rain the struggle, the pain in the muscles, the "nature" on my face (I even cycled when it was minus and snowing recently : o)), the smile to other cycle-fellas on the road, cycle "with no hands", feeling of freedom (and yes, exercise), the "work" around the bike..

I think it's the best thing that happened to me in last couple of years :o :pac:

Well, you've come to the right place so! This forum is frequented by like-minded people so you're in good company! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Cycling in the rain, horrible weather and struggling, is strangely the best cycling, in my opinion.

There is a certain element about it that makes you feel great to be alive.

I'm probably in the minority here tbh.

Well done all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... Saw a few signs still up from Haul d Naul....
    My God they had awful signage - the worst I've ever seen for any sportive - black runny handwriting scrawled on the back of election posters! And they don't seemed to have taken them down yet!

(Apologies for going off topic!)

What a morning for a cycle around S. Tipp. Far too good to pass it up.

On nights so finished work at 6am, straight to bed for a solid 4hrs kip with alarm set for 10 with the aim of being out the door at 11.

[url] https://www.strava.com/activities/513201439[/url]

Picked a flat route as i did anticipate some tiredness due to night shifts. 58km at an average of 30.5km/h which i was surprised with.

No skull cap, fingerless gloves and light layers, Spring is in the air folks. Roll on the weekend!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Drove the girlfriend into work and cycled home through town 36 leisurely km's :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement