Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Surprisingly dry today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Spin today was normal enough except for the last 3k. I had a small downhill followed by a drag. Had planned to give it welly when a tractor passed me. I thought he would accelerate too much for me to draght but I didn't. All I had to do was maintain the gap. Flew home. Tractors are cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Luxman wrote: »
    Spin today was normal enough except for the last 3k. I had a small downhill followed by a drag. Had planned to give it welly when a tractor passed me. I thought he would accelerate too much for me to draght but I didn't. All I had to do was maintain the gap. Flew home. Tractors are cool
    Can be unpleasant when the said tractor is drawing a fertilizer spreader or a large square baler on a dry breezy day - choking on the dust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Had my first morning commute from my new house (renting!). Glenageary to Fairview, 15.2km. It took me 40 minutes this morning, which was pretty decent going, but I'm dreading the cycle home. I had been covering 11.4km each way before now, but the hill all the way back isn't looking too fun now!

I ended up being quicker home, 37 minutes door to door. It's a grand stretch and the lights are in your favour for the most part. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

smacl wrote: »
    The side by the main back gate to the reservoir is fine for any bike. Mostly finely crushed stone a quite flat, about 100m of rougher gravel further on. The other side is a bit more up and down but still quite doable on a road bike. Gets a bit muddy after heavy rain though. I'd often go in via the main gate and do a few laps of the back reservoir at lunch when I'm not in the humour for climbing.

thanks for this, didn't know you could go in at all, will have look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

First puncture of the year and first puncture on my new bike this morning. Looks like I'll need a new tyre too. Nice cycle apart from that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

[url] https://www.strava.com/activities/536354490[/url]

Legs still a bit stiff aftet Sunday but had a hood spin today. Had intended on doing a steady spin but a good day lead to to a decent average with a few PR that i went after purposely.

Also joined a club today so Sunday Spin will be a rude awakening for me with some pretty decent riders in the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

First post work ride this evening. Felt great to get out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Couldn't wait to get out today, the km's went by so quickly. Went out to do the Kilmessan circuit and enjoyed it, testing in places especially the back end. Couple of pr's and 31.1kmph average

Check out my 41.3 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/536499940

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Second ever group spin tonight, beginner group 24.5 km in 56 mins starting to like this craic !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

manafana wrote: »
    thanks for this, didn't know you could go in at all, will have look

Was up there at lunch again today and they've put down some fresh gravel that still needs to be pressed. More fun on slightly wider tyres in current conditions.

Windy out there today. And wet. And cloudy. And sunny. And hailstones. Lots of weather really.

Howdy folks.

This thread seems to be the closest thing I can find to a 'general chat' thread. So I hope ye won't mind me jumping in here with my random question that I feel doesn't really warrant a thread of it's own.

I have a mountain bike, and I have a shed. Shed is after getting a few euro spent on it to make it a bit more usable. So now I want to put the bike in it. I was thinking a wall mount would be the bees knees, But I'm unsure. The bike will be used for a few weeks during the summer, and then other than that, fairly rarely, if I'm honest.

I'd like to get somethng that holds the bike on the wall, vertically (ie; the front wheel facing the roof).

Something like this:

wall-mounted-bicycle-storage-rack.jpg

I was originally thinking of something like this one:

bikeshelf1.jpg

But considering the bike still takes up the same amount of space, it seems a bit redundant.

So I Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Either on an actual bike hanger, or on an easy DIY effort (seems to be just a hook that the front weel sits into?). Anyone got any clever bike storage solutions themselves? Ideally want it to be easily accessible (to encourage me to use it) but to also be out of the way (for when I'm not using it).

But don't want something that with put strain or stress on different parts of the bike if left for a while (so I presume if I put the front wheel on a hook, to fight against gravity, I should leave the back wheel on the gorund, to take the weight, rather than floating, where the front wheel/hook are taking all the weight? Or am i just inventing problems that don't exist?)

Cheers :)

.....This thread seems to be the closest thing I can find to a 'general chat' thread. .......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057486640 ;)

I'd have thought the 'off topic' discussion was for non-bike stuff, sorry.

I'd have thought the 'off topic' discussion was for non-bike stuff, sorry.
    It's a bit of a dog's dinner or everything but usually includes bike related stuff which don't warrant their own thread. (No need to apologise!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I was originally thinking of something like this one:

bikeshelf1.jpg

But considering the bike still takes up the same amount of space, it seems a bit redundant.
    I really like this one, it is close to the wall and does not stick to space... also the weight of the bike is more evenly distributed? : )
    My bike however is in the garage but if Id keep it inside I'd do something like that, wooden "shelf" looks really cool...

Lavinia wrote: »
    I really like this one, it is close to the wall and does not stick to space... also the weight of the bike is more evenly distributed? : )
    My bike however is in the garage but if Id keep it inside I'd do something like that, wooden "shelf" looks really cool...

It is nice looking, alright, but from a pcaticality standpoint, I don't think it makes sense (at least in terms of saving space, anyway, as it seems to be the same as just leaning a bike against the wall, without a shelf).

Saving space is my primary concern.

I did just see that Amazon sell wheel hooks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Vertical-Mounted-Mountable-Storage/dp/B008U65RUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459981993&sr=8-1&keywords=bike+wall+hook

So I may well go that route. Put the bike in the corner and run it vertically up the wall. Should take up less space, that way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I tried a number of different solutions before settling on these wheel hooks - http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/bikehut-bike-wall-storage-hanger

Something different today for me, started doing hill repeats so did Hillview to Golf Club on the Mt Rd x 3.

Went faster for each repeat so i guess i did it correctly? Trying to add a little structure to training from here on if possible.

[url] https://www.strava.com/activities/538181895[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

dahat wrote: »
    Something different today for me, started doing hill repeats so did Hillview to Golf Club on the Mt Rd x 3.

Went faster for each repeat so i guess i did it correctly? Trying to add a little structure to training from here on if possible.

https://www.strava.com/activities/538181895
    Well done, you are flying.

Did you get sorted for the cleat bolt and washer?

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    Well done, you are flying.

Did you get sorted for the cleat bolt and washer?

Yeah, have one in post from a fellow Boardsie, used a bolt today just to steady it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

51k for me today, had a major fail on weather forecast homework however and went out with the wind. It really looked like I got it right as I was getting ready. Anyway did a good workout up the Summerhill road into the wind for 10k or so and got a swirly type of tail wind the last 10k. 30.3k average. Someone mentioned in a different thread about sunglasses and Oakleys I think were just out of my league price wise so I plumped for a pair of Salice ones (Iniquius was the user who referenced them?). Anyhow they got their maiden voyage today. Very impressed, they didn't move or require any adjustment on the bike, they fit straight out of the box and 'disappeared' after a short while. I have no connection with them but would now recommend. My old BBB's are gone into the car

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

tried a mixed interval session today, which i hadn't done before: 8x 15-seconds, 6x 1-minutes, and 3x 5-minutes, supposed to be max effort sustained for each interval. I prob didn't go hard enough on the sprints--not used to that kind of effort. good workout though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Sneaky 25k after I got home from work with herself. Used the opportunity to work on cardio as I kept it in the small ring and a high cadence.

25k we did, and not once did she offer to do some time in the wind.............

Passed the 5,000km year to date on today's club ride with 35,700m elevation. :)

(...although I'm 200k behind where I was this time last year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

Did Kilcullen-Naas-Newbridge-Kilcullen loop earlier in 1hr 08m, avge 25km/h...4 weeks ago average was 21km/h. Not fast by some standards but I'm happy enough with progress considering I only started cycling 2 months ago.

Clonmel ➡Dungarvan via Carrick loop for me today.

116km at 30.2 avg. Cold starting at 8am but warmed up eventually. Went today as tomorrow doesn't look great so my maiden spin with the main group of the Club will have tp wait till next week.

dahat wrote: »
    ....116km at 30.2 avg.....
    That's an impressive average for a 100k+ ride.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fist proper big spin today. 137km from Athlone to Dublin. Was tough going in parts. The first 120km i was averaging about 27.5km/h and then faded. When the sun was out it was glorious. When it went in it was cold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

That's an impressive average for a 100k+ ride.

for a lad on a road bike 2 months and who is I thunk carrying a few pounds.

I don't want to meet him on road now not to mind when he drops weight!

Former runner is my guess or maybe just an animal

That's a tough road solo, exposed as fcuk and lumpy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement