Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ford2600 wrote: »
    for a lad on a road bike 2 months and who is I thunk carrying a few pounds.

I don't want to meet him on road now not to mind when he drops weight!

Former runner is my guess or maybe just an animal

That's a tough road solo, exposed as fcuk and lumpy

It's the Carrick air...makes them hard as nails around there!

Good work! Don't discount former / current GAA player. A lot of the best athletes get swept up by it because of its local scale v's other sports. Then again, he may just be a natural athlete ..undiscovered till now...:-)

OP-you won't have much problem on a club spin wth that avg speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That's an impressive average for a 100k+ ride.

Thanks, appreciate the compliment.

In at 108 kgs currently so yes a few kgs heavy for a cyclist but its coming down.

Yes, i ran for about 1.5 years but never beyond 14k with a 50min PB for 10k so basically a ****e runner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    In at 108 kgs currently..
    :eek: - now I'm really impressed!

(And I thought my 72kgs was enough to be dragging up mountains!)

:eek: - now I'm really impressed!

(And I thought my 72kgs was enough to be dragging up mountains!)

Ah hills kill me tbh but I try to maximise descents and flat roads where possible. Working on hill repeats atm so hopefully they will help in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Did 53k around Roscrea/Rathdowney. Headed at 8 this morning. Was pretty chilly and took a while to warm the fingers (toes never warmed). As a previous poster said, it was lovely in the sun, but freezing in the shade.

Averaged a shade over 25km/h. Happy enough. Tried keeping the HR in Z2 (for me below 150bpm), and had no food before I left (fasted cycling - trying to lose some flab while upping miles).

No aches or pains 12 hours later, which is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

In at 108 kgs currently so yes a few kgs heavy for a cyclist but its coming down.

OMG...even more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil Jones

Nice cycle up through Stepaside to Enniskerry for coffee and cake with the wife. Lots of cyclists out with the Orwell Wheelers (i think?) - very friendly bunch all said hi.

Phil Jones wrote: »
    Nice cycle up through Stepaside to Enniskerry for coffee and cake with the wife. Lots of cyclists out with the Orwell Wheelers (i think?) - very friendly bunch all said hi.

You would be surprised the amount of cyclist's that don't bother saluting on the road. Always good to acknowledge a fellow pedaller imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil Jones

You would be surprised the amount of cyclist's that don't bother saluting on the road. Always good to acknowledge a fellow pedaller imo.

Well, almost everyone did today. A couple even stopped to see if we were OK when our hangovers got the better of us and we had to stop in Kilternan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

About 400 yards to check I had the new tyre on right, would have been an ace day for a spin, no wind, sunny and dry roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

First time up the wall today, I think I tasted my lungs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just some sprinting to work on my cardio today. Some feckin wind out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Popped a set of zondas on the bike yesterday, so was looking to tryout them out. PRs on some of the earlier segments from my house to Rathoath, so far so good. Then my garmin died - low battery agh!

Headed to laytown for a coffee - wind was coming eastwards so got buffeted a lot. Laytown to rathoath then back home to west Dublin - used the phone for that part and strava was reporting just over 28kph so happy with that. All in all covered about 110km today, which is my longest spin in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

65kms today on the Tour de Foothills. Wet at the start and cold all the way round!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/541267513

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

Got up at half 6 and confirmed the inevitable. Cars covered in ice. Back to bed but no sleep and up again at 7 with the youngest child!!
    So headed out at half 10 into the gale coming from the east and boy did it hammer me. It was exhausting cycling on some sh!t roads. But got to the N5 at Charlestown and hit for home. The East wind was with me now and I pushed as hard as I could. There is a long 19km segment from Charlestown to Bohola and I said I'd give it my best shot. Ended up with a 2nd place. 43.9km/hr average for the 19km segment.
    Overall got 73km in. Spent most of the day in Z3 and Z4, but so what. I enjoyed the home leg.

https://www.strava.com/activities/541140044

SERC 3 peaks - with getting there and back I did about 114km, a first for me was getting up sleive maan and shay elliot without stopping/walking.

~4hrs 45mins which I'm really happy with, bodes well for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Planned on a 100k spin about Howth, Killiney and Eniskerry, got buffetted by a headwind and soaked in Howth so ended up with a 30km drowning instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Killenagh..Gorey Arklow..woodenbridge..
    Back to Arklow.. coast road to Castletown... Ballymoney... courtown..killenagh..home.
    84km Avg 23km

On weekend..not today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Slowly starting to get back to full swing went for a 30k spin this even
    The way out was beautiful with the wind against my back.

The return was like torture

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First time in the hills for a couple of weeks after getting over a chest infection. Felt weak as a kitten crawling up from Kilternan to Johnnie Foxes, trying to remember why the hell I put myself through that torture. Hitting 65kph coming down pine forest road I remembered exactly why and hope to get a few more lunch time spins in this week. Fantastic out today, and well worth a trip to the hills for anyone thinking of heading out later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

smacl wrote: »
    First time in the hills for a couple of weeks after getting over a chest infection. Felt weak as a kitten crawling up from Kilternan to Johnnie Foxes, trying to remember why the hell I put myself through that torture. Hitting 65kph coming down pine forest road I remembered exactly why and hope to get a few more lunch time spins in this week. Fantastic out today, and well worth a trip to the hills for anyone thinking of heading out later.

Not sure if you noticed the glass on the road coming down Stocking Lane, just 100m before the turn off for Gunny Hill. It was there today when i was up there and it looks like it's been placed in a straight line, maybe on purpose so be on the look out if up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

My poor mount is not well, and she is the bike hospital, she needs new shoes & socks & she has a bit of bother with her rear end. (new tubes and tyres and issue with the back wheel)

I have to be content with 35 mins on a spinning bike at lunch time!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not sure if you noticed the glass on the road coming down Stocking Lane, just 100m before the turn off for Gunny Hill. It was there today when i was up there and it looks like it's been placed in a straight line, maybe on purpose so be on the look out if up there.

Came down Cruagh rather than Stocking lane, but good to know as I'll give Stocking lane a miss on the bike for the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Something different today for me, started doing hill repeats so did Hillview to Golf Club on the Mt Rd x 3.

Went faster for each repeat so i guess i did it correctly? Trying to add a little structure to training from here on if possible.

https://www.strava.com/activities/538181895

I like the Mountain Road but not enough to do it three times in a row! That must be about 60k with 30k of climbing...well done, but try doing it when you reach 90 killos.

Just read your later posts....disregard my 90 Killos remark...........108 Killos!! I'm impressed, hows your sprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Too true, I've died on that drag up to the sheds many times, never did it in the opposite direction though....I reckon your right he must be a bit of an animal!

01Surveyor wrote: »
    Too true, I've died on that drag up to the sheds many times, never did it in the opposite direction though....I reckon your right he must be a bit of an animal!

Far from it i tell ya....

Hill repeats for me in a bit, passing on a club spin as i need to get work on for The Comeragh Tour end of May. (Mahon falls & Seskin hopefully)

01Surveyor wrote: »
    I like the Mountain Road but not enough to do it three times in a row! That must be about 60k with 30k of climbing...well done, but try doing it when you reach 90 killos.

Just read your later posts....disregard my 90 Killos remark...........108 Killos!! I'm impressed, hows your sprint?

Never tried a proper sprint as I'm only on a road bike a while, not great id say but who knows really.

Shouldn't have rode to work today - nothing in the legs after sunday.

Ended up pootling down the Avoca valley in the sun on the way home saying hello to loads of people I've grown to know over the years of commuting.

Still basking in the glow of happiness.

Legs ache mind and I feel like a hippy which is novel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Weepsie wrote: »
    Should've taken a canoe to work, miserable

Was glad I cycled yesterday. Had I drove it would have taken 2 hours to get home.

By cycling.....home in my usual time albeit very very very wet...

But today was glorious. Lovely spin home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement