Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

McTigs wrote: »

Are there many guys like this out on the road? I found it utterly bizarre.... Not once, not even as he was passing me did he give me the slightest acknowledgement. Is this normal behaviour or am I allowed think "what a dick"?

He may be shy. Did you try converse with him? 20k is a long time for him looking at your backside alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

He may be shy. Did you try converse with him?...
    Hardly the behavior of a shy person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ford2600 wrote: »

Epic route! I'd be chuffed enough getting it done in two days, which if I make it down to Sneem again this summer I might just do.

smacl wrote: »
    Epic route! I'd be chuffed enough getting it done in two days, which if I make it down to Sneem again this summer I might just do.
    Have you done Priest's Leap before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

80 kms up Wicklow mountains via Ballinascorney and around Blessington lakes yesterday. Beautiful day for it, although started off very cold.
    Spinning along nicely at one stage, enjoying the views, when a bird of prey swoops down into the field beside me, tackled a pheasant and flew off parallel with the road and direction I was cycling. Could see both birds clear as day, now more then 20 meters away. Awesome sight, and one you would never get from inside a car, or on a motorbike. You see, and "feel" the countryside so much more when cycling along quietly.
    I've only been cycling for 4/5 weeks, but loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

McTigs wrote: »
    Top spin this morning, great morning weather, legs felt great, I felt great, delighted with my speed yada yada yada........but....

About 25k from home I noticed that there was a guy right on my wheel, dunno how long he had been there, thought nothing of it. It's happened before but normally I'd get a "howya, I'm back here, nice morning..." Usual chit chat, but nothing out of this guy. Also absolutely no effort to take the front for a bit either, which I didn't really mind either as I was on a training spin and putting in some solid work was the reason I left the house... But you'd still expect the offer..... Anyway this carries on for a full 20 kilometres until we are about 200 meters from a T junction nearly back in town when all of a sudden he comes shooting past me out of the saddle and goes hell for leather as far as the junction and turns off, presumably to go home.... I was going the other way so I didn't get a chance to thank him for allowing me to play Domestique in his Mark Cavendish getting lead out into a sprint fantasy.

Are there many guys like this out on the road? I found it utterly bizarre.... Not once, not even as he was passing me did he give me the slightest acknowledgement. Is this normal behaviour or am I allowed think "what a dick"?
    You should have blown him a kiss & asked if he liked what he was looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

T'was my first time on this route too. Unlike ford2600, it took me the full 20 hours, rolling back into Killarney at 02:00 on the button.

So, the thing about the Priest's Leap climb is not the endless really hard
    ramps interspersed by really bloody hard ramps nor the mountain goat
    nature of the road.

It's the bit where you round a bend and gaze up to the (remote) top of the
    valley and then you scan frantically for the gap that the road runs through.

And there isn't one! :eek:

cdaly_ wrote: »
    T'was my first time on this route too. Unlike ford2600, it took me the full 20 hours, rolling back into Killarney at 02:00 on the button.

So, the thing about the Priest's Leap climb is not the endless really hard
    ramps interspersed by really bloody hard ramps nor the mountain goat
    nature of the road.

It's the bit where you round a bend and gaze up to the (remote) top of the
    valley and then you scan frantically for the gap that the road runs through.

And there isn't one! :eek:
    Yes it's horrendous!

...and you didn't mention that when you remain seated, the front wheel rises, when you get out of the saddle, the rear wheel loses traction...

I've only done it once and the urge to stop was overwhelming but the only thing that kept me moving was that I'd never get unclipped in time before the bike started rolling backwards.

I haven't, but its on my bucket list. I don't doubt that it will be a truly hateful experience on one hand, but one I'm perversely looking forward to on the other. I'm thinking SPDs set to minimum tension in anticipation of the inevitable emergency stops. Toughest climb I've been up in that general area is Barley lake, which to be honest I found gruelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Got out early, quite cool at the start. Made my way up to Glencullen and through pine forrest road. Passed a guy walking his bike up towards viewing point,looked to be struggling big time. Said hello but got a grunt for a reply.
    Over the featherbeds, lovely and sunny and flew down to Glencree then up to the Sally Gap. Took the right turn for Manor Kilbride passed a few lads and lasses on the way down and the resevoir dogs near MK.
    Lake drive was pleasant enough, seemed to be a race on, lot of cyclists ramming it in TT positions. Took it handy and steady up the Wicklow Gap then hit 76kmh on the way down..which was nice. Stopped off in Laragh for a tea then onto Rathdrum and Glenealy. At this point i had an Easterly headwind, annoying as had a North Westerly at the start.
    Nice and steady up through Ashford and the N11 and hooked up with another cyclist on the home strait.

145kms with over 1900m elev, 23.3kmh avg, although there's an anomalie on Strava with this elev

Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/548140128

• Advertisement

I haven't, but its on my bucket list. I don't doubt that it will be a truly hateful experience on one hand, but one I'm perversely looking forward to on the other. I'm thinking SPDs set to minimum tension in anticipation of the inevitable emergency stops. Toughest climb I've been up in that general area is Barley lake, which to be honest I found gruelling.
    It's way more brutal than Kilmashogue Lane which I'm sure you're familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It's way more brutal than Kilmashogue Lane which I'm sure you're familiar with.

Barley Lake which he has done is no picnic either, it's 10th on this list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ElqKjY8GMgqLqbtfFJYW0lnKTf3_LgZ5r0zxwAm6wS0/edit#gid=0

As hard as Priest's Leap is, it's worth it for the view especially if taking your time on a mini tour in good weather.

I'd be very slow to do it with a wet surface, descent from both sides is pretty nasty in dry weather

ford2600 wrote: »
    Barley Lake which he has done is no picnic either, it's 10th on this list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ElqKjY8GMgqLqbtfFJYW0lnKTf3_LgZ5r0zxwAm6wS0/edit#gid=0...
    That list is kinda strange all the same as it seems to put length as a bigger factor than gradient. I suppose it's down to each persons make up but I would find a 30k climb averaging 5% much easier than a 5k climb averaging 10%.

Glassamucky and Slieve Mann for instance - I'd never really be under any pressure on those yet they rank much higher than Kilmashogue Lane which I find tough going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

For sure there is no exact science to it, some guys will fly up ramps and struggle on long draggy climbs. I think I'd rather nearly anthing on that list(except no 1) to cycling to Nad from Cork City; about 20km at 1% ish!

The figures on Priest's Leap make it sound ok, not much different to Shranrahan which is 18 on list; Shanrahan is a grand climb in comparsion. It's the 15% plus ramps when you may already be in the red that make it so hard. That and the downhill bits reminded me of the VOTT in Grand Canaria; bit of a headwrecker if you are on limit

Glassamucky and Slieve Mann for instance - I'd never really be under any pressure on those yet they rank much higher than Kilmashogue Lane which I find tough going.

Same, and Bohernabreena - Ballinscorney as tougher than either of them which is a long drag for sure but not really that punishing. Similar Coomnaspic being easier than Bohernabreena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

North County Dublin cyclists will recognize this spot:

lissenhall%201_zpsfm31z4sj.jpg

Had a very very close shave there yesterday; I was cycling south (blue arrow) and nearly collided with a bloke heading up the wrong direction (red arrow).

lissenhall%202_zpsqnm9arcf.jpg

Only afterwards did I think I should've chased him down to give him a piece of my mind.

Watch yourselves here.

Same, and Bohernabreena - Ballinscorney as tougher than either of them which is a long drag for sure but not really that punishing. Similar Coomnaspic being easier than Bohernabreena.
    Jesus, I'd didn't spot Ballinascorney on the list - sure that's only a warm up on the way to Wicklow to do some climbing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Did 77k yesterday round Laois and a bit of Tipp. Basically, just wanted to toddle along and keep the HR below 150. Failed at that.
    Was a grand morning to be fair, with some wind in my face for the middle section.
    Started to fade a couple of times. Don't seem to have the power in the legs. Any tips to help there? Also, tips for keeping the HR low? The heart trots a long a bit higher than my buddies so I'm saying its genetics! But can I do anything to keep it a bit lower for the same effort?

https://www.strava.com/activities/548615638

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Did 77k yesterday round Laois and a bit of Tipp. Basically, just wanted to toddle along and keep the HR below 150. Failed at that.
    Was a grand morning to be fair, with some wind in my face for the middle section.
    Started to fade a couple of times. Don't seem to have the power in the legs. Any tips to help there? Also, tips for keeping the HR low? The heart trots a long a bit higher than my buddies so I'm saying its genetics! But can I do anything to keep it a bit lower for the same effort?

https://www.strava.com/activities/548615638

That's a very scientific question , what do you weight, height etc. What's your average resting heart rate!?

When I start to feel like I'm not able to keep going an ol power gel seems to keep my going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

iamtony wrote: »
    That's a very scientific question , what do you weight, height etc. What's your average resting heart rate!?

When I start to feel like I'm not able to keep going an ol power gel seems to keep my going.

88kg currently, 6'1". Resting HR ~62bpm

• Advertisement

T-Maxx wrote: »
    North County Dublin cyclists will recognize this spot:

Had a very very close shave there yesterday; I was cycling south (blue arrow) and nearly collided with a bloke heading up the wrong direction (red arrow).

Only afterwards did I think I should've chased him down to give him a piece of my mind.

Watch yourselves here.
    I use that sub-way several times each week and always assume I'll meet someone (and I have several times).

I'm open to correction but I don't think it's specifically marked as one way and, as it's for pedestrian use also, you can't apply 'one way' to them.

Also, there no signage as to who should yield right of way between southbound cyclists and those coming from Donabate so again, care is required. (Cyclists coming from Donabate seem to assume right of way).

It's laid out in such a way that it should really be one way traffic. The other bloke was coming from Swords heading towards Donabate (red arrow) when he should have gone across the motorway via the northbound cycle track and then across the R132 at the pedestrian lights.

It's laid out in such a way that it should really be one way traffic. The other bloke was coming from Swords heading towards Donabate (red arrow) when he should have gone across the motorway via the northbound cycle track and then across the R132 at the pedestrian lights.
    Strange that he ended up at that side as there are no lights south of the junction (unless he travelled from the Swords direction on the hard shoulder against the traffic.

If I'm coming from Swords and going to Donabate, I'll stay on the road. The alternative is a bit awkward (Although coming from Donabate and heading north by bike is even more awkward - hence the reason you'll occasionally see cyclists coming up the southbound entrance to the subway).

Strange that he ended up at that side as there are no lights south of the junction (unless he travelled from the Swords direction on the hard shoulder against the traffic.

If I'm coming from Swords and going to Donabate, I'll stay on the road. The alternative is a bit awkward (Although coming from Donabate and heading north by bike is even more awkward - hence the reason you'll occasionally see cyclists coming up the southbound entrance to the subway).
    T-Maxx - I had a look when going northbound there this morning. There is a pedestrian/cycle crossing (with lights) south of junction 4 (and I'm astounded that I never noticed it before). On the approach there are 2 brown signs with a pedestrian and a bicycle on them. One sign points westwards to the sub-way and the other eastwards via the pedestrian/cycle crossing. This would indicate that, if heading to Donabate by bicycle, it perfectly legal to cross the R132 at the lights and then cross the slip road from the M1 at the next lights and then continue northbound over the bridge and into the sub-way.

Just as well you didn't chase after the cyclist yesterday! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

0 km done at a steady pace of 0km/h...bloody rest days....

Is it Wednesday yet?

It was you Mr. Ash wasn't it?:D

I'll have a look at these signs myself next time, although I usually take both north and south tunnels, unless the traffic is light.

These signs are supposed to be blue though, not brown, which is for tourist signs AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

First time out in a week or so (was away... work...)

Turns out herself has really gotten the bug in the meantime and we decided to do a quick lap of the lakes.

First time in summer gear (ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Beautiful morning for a cycle. The sun was out, the birds where singing, I left the house in shorts and a summer top. As I was half asleep I did not notice the ice all around. I had to cycle very quickly to offset hypothermia. I did however come close to getting a personal best for the commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Beautiful morning for a cycle. The sun was out, the birds where singing, I left the house in shorts and a summer top. As I was half asleep I did not notice the ice all around. I had to cycle very quickly to offset hypothermia. I did however come close to getting a personal best for the commute.

The birds were swaying, and the trees were singing :D

Cycled into work on my new Altura Gel padded under shorts. Very very comfy, I'll have to order a couple more to get me through my week of commuting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

First post in here and first time up to Sally Gap today. I've been putting it off f for a while ai was a bit nervous about doing it, but signed up for Wicklow 200 so figured I needed a bit of training. Went up via Bohernabreena, onto the N81 and over via Kilbride. Was mostly ok except for a few climbs, particularly the last long one from the plantation to the crossroads. I also forgot the drag from Glencree to Kilakee, but that wasn't bad after what came before it.
    I'm pretty sure I saw Aidan Gillen at the viewing point talking on the phone. I don't know if he's a cyclist but was the spit of him.

69k with 800m of climbing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement