Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

First 100km of the year today. First time cycling up to Dundalk. First time cycling back to Drogheda by Ballymakenny Road instead of Clogherhead route. Bit windy, liitle bit rainy, little bit hail stoney. Enjoyed every minute if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Went down to Nenagh to ride with the other lads from the club in the Team Time Trial, only one of us has ridden in an open race this year so we had no expectations of anything except an opportunity to push our limits and have a bit of a day out.

I was only confirmed as a starter yesterday afternoon when the rain stopped work at home and last evening was spent begging the loan of and fitting a set of aero bars, I'd ridden a gentlemans TTT going on two years ago so had a little experience but a few of the lads had none apart from a short spin thursday evening.

Our plan was to wing it, try and keep the group together as long as possible and since the time was based on the 4th man home we couldn't afford to lose too many anyway.

After the usual period of the legs protesting for the first few minutes I felt fine out to the turnaround but on the drag back up to the 3/4 way mark I really suffered, my turns on the front weren't so bad but trying to latch back on to the back nearly killed me a couple of times but I got a little bit of recovery and came home in reasonable condition...

The good news was that we weren't last...

28.3km @39.37km/hr was our official finishing time but to give an idea of the standard the winning Dutch team did it at almost 49km/hr, it was unreal to watch them go by.

A very enjoyable experience, great day out with the lads from the club, nice to do something different, a lovely route and well organised by the Nenagh team.

https://www.strava.com/activities/547159072

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

drogdub wrote: »
    First 100km of the year today. First time cycling up to Dundalk. First time cycling back to Drogheda by Ballymakenny Road instead of Clogherhead route. Bit windy, liitle bit rainy, little bit hail stoney. Enjoyed every minute if it.

Also and more importantly saw a Cuchulain group of kids with a few adults in Castlebellingham. Always good to see kids doing sport any sport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Daroxtar wrote: »

I spun up by Lough Tay and stalled for a while having a coffee from Karl the Coffee van man. He's a mate and he does nice coffee. Stopping for 20 minutes in the cold does my legs no good though and the rest of the spin was a struggle.

https://www.strava.com/activities/547278208

I passed by lough Tay at about 11:30 and he wasn't there :(

I remember him being my saviour last summer when I did that climb as I had ran out of water at that point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Rode this route yesterday
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/691453

My second time riding it and the numbers on biker route toaster are a little off, elevation is very close to 4000m, with 4 sections of climbs that are pretty brutal; all of Priest's Leap, top of Ballaghbeama, last 2km of Ballaghisheen and fcuking Coumnaspic! Whiel it is one of the tougher audax events, it's probably the prettiest route I've ever done; it shares a lot of roads with Inner Ring 200(in opposite direction for most part) but has Borlin, Priets's Leap and the Ballinnaskellig added in.

Leaving Killarney via Muckross and onto to Molls Gap at daybreak is pretty spectacular; it's a road I'd avoid for the mos part as it's busy but on a crisp morning with sun on way open cycle through natural oak wood of National Park, with lakes to the west is really special; I've been lucky enough to do it three time at sunrise in dry weather. Managed to cross path with a few red deer and wild goats on climb up.

From to Molls Gap we dropped down to Kenmare and onto Kilagarvan for a climb up Borlin, a long very gentle climb usually car free. Really pretty. A lovely lumpy back road to Ballylickey for a light breakfast before turning around and tackling Priest's Leap. 5.3km at 8%, sure that's fine; if ever numbers lied! The ramps are a horror, and with headwind yesterday it was my slowest time climbing it. From the top and on descent it is a 360 view of mountainous wilderness and Bantry Bay to south.

Dropped down once again to Kenmare before heading towards Sneem before turning left for Blackwater and up the Lord Of the Rings like Ballaghbeama before descending down and back on up Ballaghisheen; and utterly desolate and beautiful section through the middle of Iveragh peninsula. Lovely road from top on down to Waterville for a quick refuel to get ready for Coumnaspic.

The section out around Ballinaskellig with a perfect view of the Skeilligs is a nice a section of coastal road as you'll find.

Over that pig of a thing and onto Portmagee for last control before rejoing Ring of Kerry and onto Caherciveen; Dan the organiser diverts off Ring at every opportunity; the section after Caherciveen north of the water, the drop down to Kells really add to the route. On way into Glenbeigh there was fear that Rossbeigh road was closed, which it turn out it wasn't! A DNF for me!

After Glenbeigh, a lovely lap of Caragh lake; if you are expecting a lovely flat 20-30km cycle think again. I've done it in both directions and it's lumpy with plenty of ramps, top of Devil's Elbow is over 200m.

Drop down into Killorglin before a flat 20km or so ride back to Killarney.

Up there with Antrim 300 and probably a little tougher. For guys who don't like to torture themselves on bike, it would be a lovely 2 or 3 day ride. On a 3 day maybe stay in Kenmare, Port Magee and finish in Killarney. On a two day Waterville would be a natural place to stop.

Finished by 8.20pm which was 40mins earlier than last time I did it even though I cycled a little slower and felt better at end. Keep moving is for me the best way of doing audax, after 10-15mins or so at a food stop, get back on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Charity Sportive/fundaraiser for me today.

Conditions almost perfect, wind was slight amd temperature perfect. Decided to try keep in with the first group on the road which went well for 46km or so but was dropped.

I decided to get a rhythm going to the food stop and start back with them after the grub, came in maybe 3/4 mins after the first lads so not bad.

Food stop to the finish wasnt as tough as the first 50km so was able to stay with the leaders till the end. Went for a sprint at the end which got messy as i nearly clipped a guy going through which he wasnt best pleased about but in my defence adrenalin took over....

101km at 33.7 average on a route that wasn't a climbing test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

What a difference a day makes, or in this case just a big feed, a couple of cold beers and an early night.
    Got up refreshed after being worn out yesterday and went in to the Hills have a spin with a mate. He's left me for dead a few times so I was expecting the worst but my turbo sessions since christmas have paid off. I was fresh as a daisy and well within myself all through most of the spin. Took him up Kippure for his first spin up and was a bit surprised at being stronger than him when it got tough.
    It was viciously cold up there with lumps of ice falling off the mast so we didnt hang around. Went back down the Sally to Manorkilbride and back to the car for 60km with nearly 900m in 2;47
    https://www.strava.com/activities/547942145
    I got home and the missus was away for the day so after a bit of lunch I headed out again. Longwood to Tyrellspass and back, nice and steady. A lot warmer down on the flatlands. A very flat 70km in 2;24
    https://www.strava.com/activities/548333612

So 130k for the day and 199km for the weekend. Part of me wants to go for a spin up to the shops just to cross the 200 mark but the other part of me is quite amused at leaving it there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Great metric century today in South Galway/East Clare.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/5272779
    Met two mates in Loughrea and headed south up by the windmills, down to Derrybrien, nearly as far as Tulla and back up towards Gort and back to Loughrea. The first 70km the roads were unbelievably quiet. The bit before Gort was the old Limerick-Galway road but it was fairly quiet and the route from Gort to Loughrea was busy but has a great surface.
    100km with three biggish climbs. 1000m of climbing.
    I would highly recommend this route, lovely hilly scenic route with empty roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Top spin this morning, great morning weather, legs felt great, I felt great, delighted with my speed yada yada yada........but....

About 25k from home I noticed that there was a guy right on my wheel, dunno how long he had been there, thought nothing of it. It's happened before but normally I'd get a "howya, I'm back here, nice morning..." Usual chit chat, but nothing out of this guy. Also absolutely no effort to take the front for a bit either, which I didn't really mind either as I was on a training spin and putting in some solid work was the reason I left the house... But you'd still expect the offer..... Anyway this carries on for a full 20 kilometres until we are about 200 meters from a T junction nearly back in town when all of a sudden he comes shooting past me out of the saddle and goes hell for leather as far as the junction and turns off, presumably to go home.... I was going the other way so I didn't get a chance to thank him for allowing me to play Domestique in his Mark Cavendish getting lead out into a sprint fantasy.

Are there many guys like this out on the road? I found it utterly bizarre.... Not once, not even as he was passing me did he give me the slightest acknowledgement. Is this normal behaviour or am I allowed think "what a dick"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raddaboutye

Great thread folks. Long time, first time.

Did 200km on Saturday. Was an organised event starting in Torquay, an hour or so outside Melbourne. Lovely ride with half of it being in the country and the other half coming back up the Great Ocean Road.

6.30am start which was good. Always like to get these things under way early. 300 did our ride and a couple of thousand did the smaller rides on the day, 145km and 60km respectively. Weather was lovely for the first 30 seconds then it rained on and off for the next four hours which was pretty rough. Was at it's worst at the highest point of the course, just as everyone is looking forward to the 10k downhill. Spent most of that on the brakes trying to find the next corner through the fog that covered the entire mountain.

Aid stations were well laid out and were stocked OK. Water, nuts, sugar treats etc. One even had salad sandwiches which were a welcome sight. Added to this was my two bananas, two nut bars and a packet of Haribo which meant I got round without too much trouble. A lot of electrolyte tablets in the water as well. My small group had a machine at the front which dragged us back the last 80k.

Great experience and happy to finish but will probably never do anything like that again. The time taken to train and do the actual ride is just too long and there is other things I like to do on the weekend than spend a third of it on the bike. Going to stick to the 100km spins from now on. Really admire the people who constantly do the longer spins now.

204.8km
    7hr 24m
    2,304m
    27.6km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

McTigs wrote: »

Are there many guys like this out on the road? I found it utterly bizarre.... Not once, not even as he was passing me did he give me the slightest acknowledgement. Is this normal behaviour or am I allowed think "what a dick"?

He may be shy. Did you try converse with him? 20k is a long time for him looking at your backside alright

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

He may be shy. Did you try converse with him?...
    Hardly the behavior of a shy person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ford2600 wrote: »

Epic route! I'd be chuffed enough getting it done in two days, which if I make it down to Sneem again this summer I might just do.

smacl wrote: »
    Epic route! I'd be chuffed enough getting it done in two days, which if I make it down to Sneem again this summer I might just do.
    Have you done Priest's Leap before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

80 kms up Wicklow mountains via Ballinascorney and around Blessington lakes yesterday. Beautiful day for it, although started off very cold.
    Spinning along nicely at one stage, enjoying the views, when a bird of prey swoops down into the field beside me, tackled a pheasant and flew off parallel with the road and direction I was cycling. Could see both birds clear as day, now more then 20 meters away. Awesome sight, and one you would never get from inside a car, or on a motorbike. You see, and "feel" the countryside so much more when cycling along quietly.
    I've only been cycling for 4/5 weeks, but loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

McTigs wrote: »
    Top spin this morning, great morning weather, legs felt great, I felt great, delighted with my speed yada yada yada........but....

About 25k from home I noticed that there was a guy right on my wheel, dunno how long he had been there, thought nothing of it. It's happened before but normally I'd get a "howya, I'm back here, nice morning..." Usual chit chat, but nothing out of this guy. Also absolutely no effort to take the front for a bit either, which I didn't really mind either as I was on a training spin and putting in some solid work was the reason I left the house... But you'd still expect the offer..... Anyway this carries on for a full 20 kilometres until we are about 200 meters from a T junction nearly back in town when all of a sudden he comes shooting past me out of the saddle and goes hell for leather as far as the junction and turns off, presumably to go home.... I was going the other way so I didn't get a chance to thank him for allowing me to play Domestique in his Mark Cavendish getting lead out into a sprint fantasy.

You should have blown him a kiss & asked if he liked what he was looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

T'was my first time on this route too. Unlike ford2600, it took me the full 20 hours, rolling back into Killarney at 02:00 on the button.

So, the thing about the Priest's Leap climb is not the endless really hard
    ramps interspersed by really bloody hard ramps nor the mountain goat
    nature of the road.

It's the bit where you round a bend and gaze up to the (remote) top of the
    valley and then you scan frantically for the gap that the road runs through.

And there isn't one! :eek:

cdaly_ wrote: »
    T'was my first time on this route too. Unlike ford2600, it took me the full 20 hours, rolling back into Killarney at 02:00 on the button.

So, the thing about the Priest's Leap climb is not the endless really hard
    ramps interspersed by really bloody hard ramps nor the mountain goat
    nature of the road.

It's the bit where you round a bend and gaze up to the (remote) top of the
    valley and then you scan frantically for the gap that the road runs through.

And there isn't one! :eek:
    Yes it's horrendous!

...and you didn't mention that when you remain seated, the front wheel rises, when you get out of the saddle, the rear wheel loses traction...

I've only done it once and the urge to stop was overwhelming but the only thing that kept me moving was that I'd never get unclipped in time before the bike started rolling backwards.

I haven't, but its on my bucket list. I don't doubt that it will be a truly hateful experience on one hand, but one I'm perversely looking forward to on the other. I'm thinking SPDs set to minimum tension in anticipation of the inevitable emergency stops. Toughest climb I've been up in that general area is Barley lake, which to be honest I found gruelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Got out early, quite cool at the start. Made my way up to Glencullen and through pine forrest road. Passed a guy walking his bike up towards viewing point,looked to be struggling big time. Said hello but got a grunt for a reply.
    Over the featherbeds, lovely and sunny and flew down to Glencree then up to the Sally Gap. Took the right turn for Manor Kilbride passed a few lads and lasses on the way down and the resevoir dogs near MK.
    Lake drive was pleasant enough, seemed to be a race on, lot of cyclists ramming it in TT positions. Took it handy and steady up the Wicklow Gap then hit 76kmh on the way down..which was nice. Stopped off in Laragh for a tea then onto Rathdrum and Glenealy. At this point i had an Easterly headwind, annoying as had a North Westerly at the start.
    Nice and steady up through Ashford and the N11 and hooked up with another cyclist on the home strait.

145kms with over 1900m elev, 23.3kmh avg, although there's an anomalie on Strava with this elev

Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/548140128

• Advertisement

I haven't, but its on my bucket list. I don't doubt that it will be a truly hateful experience on one hand, but one I'm perversely looking forward to on the other. I'm thinking SPDs set to minimum tension in anticipation of the inevitable emergency stops. Toughest climb I've been up in that general area is Barley lake, which to be honest I found gruelling.
    It's way more brutal than Kilmashogue Lane which I'm sure you're familiar with.

It's way more brutal than Kilmashogue Lane which I'm sure you're familiar with.

Barley Lake which he has done is no picnic either, it's 10th on this list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ElqKjY8GMgqLqbtfFJYW0lnKTf3_LgZ5r0zxwAm6wS0/edit#gid=0

As hard as Priest's Leap is, it's worth it for the view especially if taking your time on a mini tour in good weather.

I'd be very slow to do it with a wet surface, descent from both sides is pretty nasty in dry weather

ford2600 wrote: »
    Barley Lake which he has done is no picnic either, it's 10th on this list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ElqKjY8GMgqLqbtfFJYW0lnKTf3_LgZ5r0zxwAm6wS0/edit#gid=0...
    That list is kinda strange all the same as it seems to put length as a bigger factor than gradient. I suppose it's down to each persons make up but I would find a 30k climb averaging 5% much easier than a 5k climb averaging 10%.

Glassamucky and Slieve Mann for instance - I'd never really be under any pressure on those yet they rank much higher than Kilmashogue Lane which I find tough going.

For sure there is no exact science to it, some guys will fly up ramps and struggle on long draggy climbs. I think I'd rather nearly anthing on that list(except no 1) to cycling to Nad from Cork City; about 20km at 1% ish!

The figures on Priest's Leap make it sound ok, not much different to Shranrahan which is 18 on list; Shanrahan is a grand climb in comparsion. It's the 15% plus ramps when you may already be in the red that make it so hard. That and the downhill bits reminded me of the VOTT in Grand Canaria; bit of a headwrecker if you are on limit

Glassamucky and Slieve Mann for instance - I'd never really be under any pressure on those yet they rank much higher than Kilmashogue Lane which I find tough going.

Same, and Bohernabreena - Ballinscorney as tougher than either of them which is a long drag for sure but not really that punishing. Similar Coomnaspic being easier than Bohernabreena.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

North County Dublin cyclists will recognize this spot:

lissenhall%201_zpsfm31z4sj.jpg

Had a very very close shave there yesterday; I was cycling south (blue arrow) and nearly collided with a bloke heading up the wrong direction (red arrow).

lissenhall%202_zpsqnm9arcf.jpg

Only afterwards did I think I should've chased him down to give him a piece of my mind.

Watch yourselves here.

Same, and Bohernabreena - Ballinscorney as tougher than either of them which is a long drag for sure but not really that punishing. Similar Coomnaspic being easier than Bohernabreena.
    Jesus, I'd didn't spot Ballinascorney on the list - sure that's only a warm up on the way to Wicklow to do some climbing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Did 77k yesterday round Laois and a bit of Tipp. Basically, just wanted to toddle along and keep the HR below 150. Failed at that.
    Was a grand morning to be fair, with some wind in my face for the middle section.
    Started to fade a couple of times. Don't seem to have the power in the legs. Any tips to help there? Also, tips for keeping the HR low? The heart trots a long a bit higher than my buddies so I'm saying its genetics! But can I do anything to keep it a bit lower for the same effort?

https://www.strava.com/activities/548615638

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Did 77k yesterday round Laois and a bit of Tipp. Basically, just wanted to toddle along and keep the HR below 150. Failed at that.
    Was a grand morning to be fair, with some wind in my face for the middle section.
    Started to fade a couple of times. Don't seem to have the power in the legs. Any tips to help there? Also, tips for keeping the HR low? The heart trots a long a bit higher than my buddies so I'm saying its genetics! But can I do anything to keep it a bit lower for the same effort?

https://www.strava.com/activities/548615638

That's a very scientific question , what do you weight, height etc. What's your average resting heart rate!?

When I start to feel like I'm not able to keep going an ol power gel seems to keep my going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

iamtony wrote: »
    That's a very scientific question , what do you weight, height etc. What's your average resting heart rate!?

When I start to feel like I'm not able to keep going an ol power gel seems to keep my going.

88kg currently, 6'1". Resting HR ~62bpm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement