Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

T-Maxx wrote: »
    North County Dublin cyclists will recognize this spot:

Had a very very close shave there yesterday; I was cycling south (blue arrow) and nearly collided with a bloke heading up the wrong direction (red arrow).

Only afterwards did I think I should've chased him down to give him a piece of my mind.

Watch yourselves here.
    I use that sub-way several times each week and always assume I'll meet someone (and I have several times).

I'm open to correction but I don't think it's specifically marked as one way and, as it's for pedestrian use also, you can't apply 'one way' to them.

Also, there no signage as to who should yield right of way between southbound cyclists and those coming from Donabate so again, care is required. (Cyclists coming from Donabate seem to assume right of way).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It's laid out in such a way that it should really be one way traffic. The other bloke was coming from Swords heading towards Donabate (red arrow) when he should have gone across the motorway via the northbound cycle track and then across the R132 at the pedestrian lights.

It's laid out in such a way that it should really be one way traffic. The other bloke was coming from Swords heading towards Donabate (red arrow) when he should have gone across the motorway via the northbound cycle track and then across the R132 at the pedestrian lights.
    Strange that he ended up at that side as there are no lights south of the junction (unless he travelled from the Swords direction on the hard shoulder against the traffic.

If I'm coming from Swords and going to Donabate, I'll stay on the road. The alternative is a bit awkward (Although coming from Donabate and heading north by bike is even more awkward - hence the reason you'll occasionally see cyclists coming up the southbound entrance to the subway).

Strange that he ended up at that side as there are no lights south of the junction (unless he travelled from the Swords direction on the hard shoulder against the traffic.

If I'm coming from Swords and going to Donabate, I'll stay on the road. The alternative is a bit awkward (Although coming from Donabate and heading north by bike is even more awkward - hence the reason you'll occasionally see cyclists coming up the southbound entrance to the subway).
    T-Maxx - I had a look when going northbound there this morning. There is a pedestrian/cycle crossing (with lights) south of junction 4 (and I'm astounded that I never noticed it before). On the approach there are 2 brown signs with a pedestrian and a bicycle on them. One sign points westwards to the sub-way and the other eastwards via the pedestrian/cycle crossing. This would indicate that, if heading to Donabate by bicycle, it perfectly legal to cross the R132 at the lights and then cross the slip road from the M1 at the next lights and then continue northbound over the bridge and into the sub-way.

Just as well you didn't chase after the cyclist yesterday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

0 km done at a steady pace of 0km/h...bloody rest days....

Is it Wednesday yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It was you Mr. Ash wasn't it?:D

I'll have a look at these signs myself next time, although I usually take both north and south tunnels, unless the traffic is light.

These signs are supposed to be blue though, not brown, which is for tourist signs AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

First time out in a week or so (was away... work...)

Turns out herself has really gotten the bug in the meantime and we decided to do a quick lap of the lakes.

First time in summer gear (ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Beautiful morning for a cycle. The sun was out, the birds where singing, I left the house in shorts and a summer top. As I was half asleep I did not notice the ice all around. I had to cycle very quickly to offset hypothermia. I did however come close to getting a personal best for the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Beautiful morning for a cycle. The sun was out, the birds where singing, I left the house in shorts and a summer top. As I was half asleep I did not notice the ice all around. I had to cycle very quickly to offset hypothermia. I did however come close to getting a personal best for the commute.

The birds were swaying, and the trees were singing :D

Cycled into work on my new Altura Gel padded under shorts. Very very comfy, I'll have to order a couple more to get me through my week of commuting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

First post in here and first time up to Sally Gap today. I've been putting it off f for a while ai was a bit nervous about doing it, but signed up for Wicklow 200 so figured I needed a bit of training. Went up via Bohernabreena, onto the N81 and over via Kilbride. Was mostly ok except for a few climbs, particularly the last long one from the plantation to the crossroads. I also forgot the drag from Glencree to Kilakee, but that wasn't bad after what came before it.
    I'm pretty sure I saw Aidan Gillen at the viewing point talking on the phone. I don't know if he's a cyclist but was the spit of him.

69k with 800m of climbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

PaulieC wrote: »
    First post in here and first time up to Sally Gap today. I've been putting it off f for a while ai was a bit nervous about doing it, but signed up for Wicklow 200 so figured I needed a bit of training. Went up via Bohernabreena, onto the N81 and over via Kilbride. Was mostly ok except for a few climbs, particularly the last long one from the plantation to the crossroads. I also forgot the drag from Glencree to Kilakee, but that wasn't bad after what came before it.
    I'm pretty sure I saw Aidan Gillen at the viewing point talking on the phone. I don't know if he's a cyclist but was the spit of him.

69k with 800m of climbing.

It's one I plan on tackling this weekend, I got up Military Road on New Years Eve and had to turn back after I hit snow and hail.

Wanted to get out for a spin today but alas here I am in my office looking out the window at the gorgeous evening passing me by

66km with avg of 29.1, trip home wind assisted in part. ..

Clonmel to Carrick to Faugheen and went looking for a climb near Aheny which I found and did, handy tbh but still a good 6min or so effort.

Got lost coming off it and came back via the Slate Quarry which looked amazing on a fine day. Picked up a few PR along the way so was pleased with the spin.

Also it was my first time ever out in bib shorts and a ss jersey whixh felt like great as felt no restriction at all frpm clothing.

Strava:[url] https://www.strava.com/activities/551342769[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Meander around Bellewstown this evening. Loads of cyclists on the Jullianstown-Duleek Rd. Would love if they could close that road in summer months outside peek hours to traffic and leave it for cyclists, joggers and walkers. Pure fantasy but would still be great.

First post in here and first time up to Sally Gap today. I've been putting it off f for a while ai was a bit nervous about doing it, but signed up for Wicklow 200 so figured I needed a bit of training. Went up via Bohernabreena, onto the N81 and over via Kilbride. Was mostly ok except for a few climbs, particularly the last long one from the plantation to the crossroads. I also forgot the drag from Glencree to Kilakee, but that wasn't bad after what came before it.....
    I'm presuming when you say Bohernabreena, you came via Ballinascorney. That would be steeper than your route from Kilbride to the Sally Gap. Do it a few more times and it will all fall into place. Don't worry about the WW200. You'll step up a few notches on the day when you've hundreds of others around you,
    drogdub wrote: »
    ....Loads of cyclists on the Jullianstown-Duleek Rd. Would love if they could close that road in summer months outside peek hours to traffic and leave it for cyclists, joggers and walkers. Pure fantasy but would still be great.
    Perhaps it's just me but that's one of the few roads that has absolutely no appeal to me. I do it regularly, usually on a club ride but would very rarely choose it if going solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just a leisurely 12km ride to work this evening. I landed here (Zurich) around 3pm and planned to go for a longer spin into work as it was a bright and sunny 20 degrees, but after having got up at 7am and the prospect of a full night shift ahead, I snoozed for a couple of hours before rushing about to not be late for work!
    Maybe tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Perhaps it's just me but that's one of the few roads that has absolutely no appeal to me. I do it regularly, usually on a club ride but would very rarely choose it if going solo.

That's fair enough, I like it because it's usually quite and has a good surface.

I'm presuming when you say Bohernabreena, you came via Ballinascorney. That would be steeper than your route from Kilbride to the Sally Gap. Do it a few more times and it will all fall into place. Don't worry about the WW200. You'll step up a few notches on the day when you've hundreds of others around you,

Looks like that's the way I went - https://www.strava.com/activities/551144442

I'll hopefully get a few more of those in before the day. Doing the 200 with a couple of mates too which should hush the inner voices :p

I'll hopefully get a few more of those in before the day. Doing the 200 with a couple of mates too which should hush the inner voices :p
    You may need to pace yourself more effectively as it looks like you have pushed yourself too early in the ride. Your time up Ballinascorney is only a few seconds behind mine yet you're 14 minutes behind me from Kilbride to the Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Tested a set of carbon clone wheels this morning but front one went out of true quite badly almost from the start. Changed back to my normal wheels and out for 40km @30kmph.

Probably the most boring and dangerous route (n2 southbound and Ashbourne to Dunshaughlin)

Check out my 40.3 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/552218167

You may need to pace yourself more effectively as it looks like you have pushed yourself too early in the ride. Your time up Ballinascorney is only a few seconds behind mine yet you're 14 minutes behind me from Kilbride to the Sally Gap.
    I'm not sure how Strava shows the time, but I stopped at Cloghlea for a few minutes to eat and drink ( and got talking to a farmer about his sheep), but yeah, I would imagine that my pacing in general is way off. That will come with experience.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how Strava shows the time, but I stopped at Cloghlea for a few minutes to eat and drink ( and got talking to a farmer about his sheep), but yeah, I would imagine that my pacing in general is way off. That will come with experience.
    Yes, that would have affected your time alright. (In Strava segments, the clock is ticking all the time even if your Garmin/Phone is paused).

Your heart rate should be the other way round Paul, like an ascent up a hill

Borderfox wrote: »
    Your heart rate should be the other way round Paul, like an ascent up a hill

The HR graph is actually illustrated in Garmin connect I.e. it's highest when climbing and falls w when descending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The HR graph is actually illustrated in Garmin connect I.e. it's highest when climbing and falls w when descending.

Very strange reaction...😀

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Very strange reaction...😀

Doh! I meant to say illustrated more accurately

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

dahat wrote: »
    66km with avg of 29.1, trip home wind assisted in part. ..

Clonmel to Carrick to Faugheen and went looking for a climb near Aheny which I found and did, handy tbh but still a good 6min or so effort.

Got lost coming off it and came back via the Slate Quarry which looked amazing on a fine day. Picked up a few PR along the way so was pleased with the spin.

Also it was my first time ever out in bib shorts and a ss jersey whixh felt like great as felt no restriction at all frpm clothing.

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/551342769

The slate quarry is indeed amazing as is Delaneys pub. About 20 years ago the slate quarry hosted an international sculpture camp and the sculptures created over several weeks were still to be found in the quarry environs. ask John in delaneys about it and he'll show you his photo album of the event. The sculptures were amazing. delaneys has to be the most original country pub in Ireland.....note that there are 'duck racing trousers' on display and for sale.
    There's a 'whore' of a climb up to Tullahought from Moloneys at Skough on the way back to Carrick, it features in the Bobby Power challenge. Lovely area and home of George Clooney's ancestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

drogdub wrote: »
    Meander around Bellewstown this evening. Loads of cyclists on the Jullianstown-Duleek Rd. Would love if they could close that road in summer months outside peek hours to traffic and leave it for cyclists, joggers and walkers. Pure fantasy but would still be great.

Bellewstown is a lovely area but the climb up there is hard work.....who said Meath is flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

A quick 48 km taking in Kennycourt climb (Garmin read 19% at the turn!) then Ballymore Eustace, Naas, left at Two Mile House, Brannockstown, Gormanstown & home. Swirling winds were a challenge but not as much as some awful, bone shaking surfaces. Great evening for it, bright evenings are awesome.

On Strava your heart rate is at its highest at the start and gradually goes down as the ride goes on, my thinking on it should be the other way

• Advertisement

01Surveyor wrote: »
    The slate quarry is indeed amazing as is Delaneys pub. About 20 years ago the slate quarry hosted an international sculpture camp and the sculptures created over several weeks were still to be found in the quarry environs. ask John in delaneys about it and he'll show you his photo album of the event. The sculptures were amazing. delaneys has to be the most original country pub in Ireland.....note that there are 'duck racing trousers' on display and for sale.
    There's a 'whore' of a climb up to Tullahought from Moloneys at Skough on the way back to Carrick, it features in the Bobby Power challenge. Lovely area and home of George Clooney's ancestors.

Cracking info there, though will hardly be having a gargle with the bike in tow! Beautiful place tbough.

Must locate that climb as i have been told about it before but roads in around Carrick on Suir are all over the place, easy get lost i tell ya.

Tomorrow I'm nearly certain to try eradicate the demon of Seskin Hill from the failure column ofy cycling story...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement