Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Lods of cyclists out in the sunshine in Galway today, good sight! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Stunning day out there - 95k all in and didnt want to come home. Views along Clontarf and Howth were fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Did 86 km aorond lough Ree started and finished in knockcrockery that's my longest spin so far and had plenty left in the tank will try to do 70 km tomorrow around east Galway before I go back to Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

90 Km around Inishannon and onto the old head of kinsale, stunning views, had good legs today, that baltic wind was gone so loads out. More days like this please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out for a spin with my sister in absolutely glorious conditions in Wicklow. Ballyboden, Enniskerry, Old long hill, back roads to Laragh and obligatory cake stop. After asking a lad from reservoir cogs what the sally gap was like, decided to go back that way. Stunning mix of sun and snow, and roads fine until the sally gap cross roads and then very slushy / icy in the lough bray / glencree direction, so decided on luggala / lough dan route back. No ice on the roads, but the state of the roads is truly abysmal after the winter. Care advised if you're going out that way. Back to Enniskerry and home for 102k, and pretty shattered. Glad I bottled out of the Ardatting 200, don't think I've 200k in my legs this year quite yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Did 35km on my new bike today. Took it handy enough as getting used to the bike and drops. Went out towards Bray and then back via Dalkey. Stunning views and a great spin.

Saw so many cyclists, it was great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Racing every weekend since the Ned Flanagan in February til Rás Connemara last weekend....decided I'd take a mental break from racing this weekend and spin over to the club spin to catch up with lads I haven't seen since January...couldn't have asked for a nicer day for it!!

Dundrum -> Enniskerry -> Old Long Hill -> few climbs around Newtown I don't know what they're called -> Laragh for a double espresso and banana nut brownie -> Wicklow Gap -> Blessington -> Tallaght -> few random roads I got lost on -> Lambs Cross -> Dundrum.

My first time since October in the mountains and it was good to be back, though it's a lot different pushing a 39-23 as my smallest gear, compared with the 34-25 I had in October!!

Wicklow Gap is such a glorious climb of a day like today, reminds me why I took up cycling in the first place. For those 20 minutes, climbing in the sun with snow on adjacent hills, glasses in my helmet, jersey zipped fully open, a pained expression on my face as the colour slowly drained out of it, I felt as if I was somewhere a bit more exotic! Not even the countless punctures experienced by the group of us could have put a downer on the day!

Oh, and I bagged my first proper KOM on a cat 3 hill, a far cry from my usual flat segments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

:):)
    Had a lovely cycle today in near perfect weather conditions (sunny, weak variable breeze, low humidity and neither too warm or too cold).

Dunshaughlin - Tara - Bellinter - Trim - Summerhill - Kilcock - Maynooth and home to Dunshaughlin via Batterstown.

~68 km but poor average speed of only 29.3kph :o but I think I have an excuse as it was my first cycle in about a month because I've been so busy (and the weather has been utter cack). Seeing the mountains still covered in snow was impressive for April but I noticed how dry and dead the fields look; I think we need some rain and the mild damp muck we're used to.

I stopped for a nice cappuccino (yes I know I'm not supposed to stop according to the experts on here but I'm a leisure cyclist and have no interest in racing :p) in that cafe in Kilcock everyone with a bike goes to. However, I was devastated to learn that they had run out of their delightful scones because apparently 50 cyclists had cleared them out earlier in the day :mad:. Apart from that minor tragedy I had a fantastic cycle. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

colm_gti wrote: »
    though it's a lot different pushing a 39-23 as my smallest gear

Ouch! Stuff of nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Done roughly 70k today (computer fell off bike and battery came out wiping it half way) it was absolutely fabulous day out, left the house at approx 1pm and it was 9 degrees even though we had clear blue skies and bright sunshine. I had long sleeve fleece jersey and bib tights on and I was glad of them. It warmed up to16 degrees at one stage but averaged around 13 most if the way. I met at least 20 other pedalists along the way, one lad in shorts and short sleeves...hardy buck!

Route was Drumkeen (Co. Donegal) to Kilross, convoy, raphoe, St. Johnston and back and then on as far as Lurgybrack on the N13 and home again.

It was my first proper spin since last summer and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it even the long climb from the N13 stores up to drumkeen which I usually hate as its the last leg of my spins and my legs generally start to get tired but just put the head down and ploughed on today and kept going.

May go out again tomorrow....if I'm
    Allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Ha I just realised I got a qom today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Forgot to set alarm for club spin this morning:mad: Went out and did 50km. Crazy headwind heading out to Craughwell, was averaging 19km/h. Met a cyclist who gave me a tow into Craughwell (much appreciated, forgot to ask if you were a boardsie). 5min break and we flew back averaging 39km/h :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

What a crappy morning - especially after the day we had yesterday. Had a BIG plan to tackle a couple of hills but the wind out there was something else. Actually hit a Wall of Wind at one stag and nearly stopped dead as a result.

Then the rain came ..... and then the mass-goers coming home from Mass up my backside!!! Just done a circle and home.....

Disappointed !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭meercat

some morning,had a fella wheelsucking all morning
    stopped and turned and couldnt drop him even though i was averaging nearly 40kmh:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

Did the 80k Tour of Carlingford earlier.
    Good oul spin as usual apart from the headwind for the first 40k.
    Once we made the turn for Carlingford the wind eased off (which was nice as the second half is a lot more hilly than the first)
    A well attended & well run event with plenty of hot soup and sambos at the end. :)

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

3 savage days of cycling. 7 of us went to kenmare for the weekend . friday night 50km, kenmare out to Sneem and back, left at 5.30pm, great to have brightness in the evenings

saturday, 145km around the ras mumhan course from last weekend kenmare - caha pass- glengariff - castletown - healy pass - glengariff - caha pass - kenmare. 1700m of climbing. savage day for a great days riding.

this morning, just to finish it off, 20Km quick spin to the top of molls gap and back to kenmare. windy and wet. luckily the wind was pushing us up the mountain

absolutely great crack, few pints each night, and some savage cylcling with great weather to boot. first time over caha and healy, healy from north to south is a great climb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Did my biggest spin of the year at 80km. First time to Howth as well! Happy to say I didn't have to stop half way up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

A day of off-road fun in Killaloe. Put the DH tyres on the ReignX, and did one loop of the XC circuit, then the second time around descended on the "freeride" trail - this trails is so steep.. Some fun times on the old DH section as well at the northern end. "Rob's trail of death" is an amazing trail, and I wish it was longer. Much better the second time around.
    The trails were absolutely bone dry which was fantastic. The car park was a source of dust with the wind - it's not often that the windscreen wipers are used to clear the glass of dust instead of rain..

The XC circuit is certainly difficult - I didn't have the legs to clear all the climbs and ended up having to push every so often. At least the descending bits were really fun on the ReignX. Roll on getting the appropriate springs for my weight..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Went out with the club yesterday (sunday). Just shy of 80K, Navan to Athboy via the back roads and around Kells. Then loop back from Athboy to Trim and back to Navan again via back roads. Dont know the roads that well only the towns. But cycle time was 2 hours 47 mins averaging I think about 27/28 Km's which is more than I have ever done in a cycle. Wind on the way back was annoying and we were heading directly into it, sapped the energy from the legs in the last few km's. But pleased with myself to have lasted so long with the group and to have kept the pace higher than i have been doing. Just need to build on it now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Popoutman wrote: »
    A day of off-road fun in Killaloe. Put the DH tyres on the ReignX, and did one loop of the XC circuit, then the second time around descended on the "freeride" trail - this trails is so steep.. Some fun times on the old DH section as well at the northern end. "Rob's trail of death" is an amazing trail, and I wish it was longer. Much better the second time around.
    The trails were absolutely bone dry which was fantastic. The car park was a source of dust with the wind - it's not often that the windscreen wipers are used to clear the glass of dust instead of rain..

The XC circuit is certainly difficult - I didn't have the legs to clear all the climbs and ended up having to push every so often. At least the descending bits were really fun on the ReignX. Roll on getting the appropriate springs for my weight..

xc route, where is that? are you talking about the forest trails out near the activity centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Not the best day for me... My morning commute was going as usual, until the jockey wheel bearing seized up. Had to walk the last couple of kilometres.

That is the second set of jockey wheels I replaced since I started cycling. Was told by some Boardsies that these should normally never wear out, so this time I just kept on going ignoring the signs of wear after checking them last time. Anyway, my spare parts are on the way, should have the bike ready for the return journey home :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

Did 100k yesterday. Starting in Donabate, out to Naul (past all the marshalls trying to get me to join the race (not a ****ing chance lads) up out past naul, up to Stamullen, into the Wind to Man o War, up it down through lusk to Portmarnock and home. Did it all at 26 k per with a back wheel that had less than ideal pressure and 400 metres of clmbing. cold at the end but enjoyed it.

looks like the Tour of Connemara in a few weeks won't be too much for me and more importantly kilo's still droping and below 100 kilos now.
    (for the first time in about 10 years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Quick 2 hour spin today, decided it was time to start tackling the hills again after spending the last month or so doing flat routes almost exclusively. 35km with 574m elevation. Tough work with a strong wind blowing, but feeling good about myself that I did a tough route without feeling too shattered afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

My commute home was helped by a tractor drafting exercise, oh such fun. A little hump of a hill I go over about 27kph at a push was done today at 37 thanks to said tractor. I was sad to see him turn left when I went right

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

First 80k of the season today. Dublin city centre- Ballyboden road - stocking lane - sally gap (including 1/4 mile cross country with bike on my back as its still a bit blocked by snow) - Manor kilbride - Ballyknocken - Kings river - Hollywood - Ballymore eustace where the wife picked me up.
    Seemed to be a killer of a headwind most of the way.Ran out of water and food - Felt good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Te Anau to Milford Sound, tough going the other day on a hire beater MTB. Hairy descent through the tunnel too, no wonder cycling it is officially discouraged...
    YlHFP9l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

God bless the farmers!!! Struggling in this morning into a headwind hoping to get in on time, low and behold I hear a tractor come by and hop in behind and sail along at 39/40 km/h for the final 6k!! Funny looks from the Guards as they passed us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Did my longest ride yet today 106.25 km @ 25 kph.Route was Naas ,Blessington,Balltinglass,Ballytore,Kilcullen then back to Naas out the back way to Johnstown onto Kill Strafen road then cut back to Sallins around the ring road in Naas and home.Got my first puncture and talk about lucky I have all the gear for changing it except the brain local bike shop don't sell these I did ask but just where I get the puncture(Kilcullen to Naas road )what is going on the other side of the road but Naas cc are doing time trials and fair play got me sorted.Going to join the club this weekend only thing is I am a little worried about group riding and not sure weather to go out with the B's or C's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Did my longest ride yet today 106.25 km @ 25 kph.Route was Naas ,Blessington,Balltinglass,Ballytore,Kilcullen then back to Naas out the back way to Johnstown onto Kill Strafen road then cut back to Sallins around the ring road in Naas and home.Got my first puncture and talk about lucky I have all the gear for changing it except the brain local bike shop don't sell these I did ask but just where I get the puncture(Kilcullen to Naas road )what is going on the other side of the road but Naas cc are doing time trials and fair play got me sorted.Going to join the club this weekend only thing is I am a little worried about group riding and not sure weather to go out with the B's or C's

Well done badger, ye wouldn't have gotten this far if you we're still stuck
    in the chair playing Desert Operations 6 hours a day!!!

(gonna annoy ya now wondering who I am haha) :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

Drogheda-Duleek-Bellewstown-Naul-Ballyboughill-Lusk-Skerries-Balbriggan-Drogheda

About 75km in total, still a bit damp cold and misty out there.
    One heavy rain shower so ducked into the Seamus Ennis centre for a coffee.
    A few enthusiasts out today, some of them even waved back at me! :D

CPL 593H

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement