Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the radar detector may have had trouble detecting you, being a smaller target than usual, and given an incorrect reading?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I was hoping for confirmation that I'm actually 9km/h faster than I thought...
    a double edged sword. what if you found out that you were permanently 9kph faster than expected?
    would explain why you keep falling out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/579884291

Another 40Km (ish) route and less hilly than the last 2 days. It was colder today so was glad of the arm and leg warmers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Gear cable snapped on my daily commute. I always wondered what a fixie was like...Good thing I have a spare at home (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Gear cable snapped on my daily commute. I always wondered what a fixie was like...Good thing I have a spare at home (I think)

When the cable snaps (assuming it was on the rear set), does the gear stay where it is, or does it lack of tension cause it to shift?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ezra_ wrote: »
    When the cable snaps (assuming it was on the rear set), does the gear stay where it is, or does it lack of tension cause it to shift?
    The rear mech will drop down to the smallest sprocket as the cable is no longer working against the tension of the spring in the mech. If you have a screwdriver with you, you can wind in the limit screw to move it up to a larger sprocket if necessary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I don't have the wheel magnet attached and hence rely on the GPS to determine speed. Can it be out but this much? Or does the display err on the side of caution?

Depends on a lot of different factors, but over short distances GPS speed can be very inaccurate. Don't know the location, but common interference factors are trees or being adjacent to a wall or cliff edge. The accuracy depends on the number of satellites the GPS can 'see' in clear view overhead, whether it is looking at them directly or taking in signals bounced off other objects, and whether some satellites are coming in and out of view. Properly calibrated wheel magnet will give far more accurate speed measurement over short distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

smacl wrote: »
    Depends on a lot of different factors, but over short distances GPS speed can be very inaccurate. Don't know the location, but common interference factors are trees or being adjacent to a wall or cliff edge. The accuracy depends on the number of satellites the GPS can 'see' in clear view overhead, whether it is looking at them directly or taking in signals bounced off other objects, and whether some satellites are coming in and out of view. Properly calibrated wheel magnet will give far more accurate speed measurement over short distance.

I'd imagine using a smart phone would be much more accurate than a Garmin or the likes. Take an iPhone for example. It uses GPS along with wifi hotspots and mobile phone masts.

the extra benefit a mobile phone mast would give over GPS is very, very marginal; and in fact would probably lead to greater errors, i would guess.

an error on a GPS device of say 20m would probably be dwarfed by the say 100m a lock on mobile phone masts would give, so throw in an even larger error.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

crosstownk wrote: »
    The rear mech will drop down to the smallest sprocket as the cable is no longer working against the tension of the spring in the mech. If you have a screwdriver with you, you can wind in the limit screw to move it up to a larger sprocket if necessary.

Most of my cycle is relatively flat without too much stopping and starting so I think I'll suffer it for the way home. I tend to spend most of my cycling in the outer gear anyway following starting off so I'll survive.

Must remember to chuck in a screwdriver to my mobile toolkit though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

On the iPhone the wifi hotspots really improve the accuracy. It can make the difference of a few hundred meters at times depending on sight of GPS satellites. However, there won't be as many wifi hotspots in the middle of the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

traprunner wrote: »
    On the iPhone the wifi hotspots really improve the accuracy. It can make the difference of a few hundred meters at times depending on sight of GPS satellites. However, there won't be as many wifi hotspots in the middle of the countryside.

You may also find that the GPS hardware in the iPhone (by virtue of being a jack of all trades piece of hardware) is inferior in accuracy to that in a dedicated GPS device. Even across dedicated GPS devices, the sample rate can vary significantly, e.g. a Garmin Edge will generally sample more frequently than a forerunner, because of the higher average speeds cycling than running. And that is before considering that some Garmins also support GLONASS as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Naww, you got yourself a singlespeed, not a fixie:

From bicyclehabitat.com (link)
    “Fixie" is short for “fixed gear,” which is a slang term for bicycles that have drivetrains with one gear that's fixed to the rear wheel so that you cannot coast and must continue pedaling whenever the bike's moving

<snip>

Not to be confused with singlespeeds, which allow coasting

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First day of unemployment after being made redundant after 20 years yesterday.

Decided Seskin Hill was to be my pain aftdr two failures in March. Steely determination with some anger mixed in get me up it this time which meant alot to me.

Followed road back to Clonmel via Rathgormack with a headwind to annoy me further. Road home is lumpy as well so was pretty happy to get 58km on at avg 27.8km/h.

All set for The Comeragh Tour Sunday week now with Mabon fallls & Seskin holding no fears of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

dahat wrote: »

Decided Seskin Hill was to be my pain aftdr two failures in March. Steely determination with some anger mixed in get me up it this time which meant alot to me.

Followed road back to Clonmel via Rathgormack with a headwind to annoy me further. Road home is lumpy as well so was pretty happy to get 58km on at avg 27.8km/h.

All set for The Comeragh Tour Sunday week now with Mabon fallls & Seskin holding no fears of failure.

Cycling more or less saved me after the same fate three years ago. Keep pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Luxman wrote: »
    Cycling more or less saved me after the same fate three years ago. Keep pedalling.

I will indeed, even my wife has said that she is glad I have the bike to help with the stress etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

That was 2 hard slogs home Tuesday & yesterday, I could hardly get my leg over (the bike, durty minds) when I got home yesterday. who can I write a letter of complaint to about the headwind?

Bloggsie wrote: »
    who can I write a letter of complaint to about the headwind?

I heard that Danny Healy-Rae knows this guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I heard that Danny Healy-Rae knows this guy...
    Brilliant, I will have to get onto to him.

Isnt he the one that was involved in a fender bender with a cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

smacl wrote:

Properly calibrated wheel magnet will give far more accurate speed measurement over short distance.

Just on this. Does the magnet need to be right under the wheel rim on its spoke to give the right reading?
    Or does it matter if it is a little bit further down.

• Advertisement

Just on this. Does the magnet need to be right under the wheel rim on its spoke to give the right reading?
    Or does it matter if it is a little bit further down.

It shouldn't really matter as it's simply counting revolutions. Although the closer to the rim the magnet is, the greater the distance to the pick-up which might have some implication depending on the strength of the magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

dahat wrote: »

I got redundanxy last July after 14 years in the same place. Long story, but I had to push for it, was on the union side of things, and Im telling you know it was the best thing that happened to me. Havent looked back.
    Didnt miss the place for a second, maybe miss a few of my colleagues but thats it.
    Onwards and upwards mate. Enjoy some time off to recharge and clear the head. Life's too short to jump straight back into stress.
    And cycling or whatever your posion is can only help. So long as its not drink or drugs!!
    All the best.

smacl wrote: »

Since Ive switched to the secondhand garmin edge 200 I bought, from a cateye non gps, Ive noticed speeds going up hills a lot slower reading while moving, but the times are the same or better as Id have got on the cateye. This had me thinking it was either slow to read a time and hence theres a bit of a delay, or its just not as accurate at slow speeds for some reason.
    No big deal, but nice to see I wasnt losing my mind!
    Or just getting worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

I went out for my first proper spin yesterday after swapping to a compact from a standard crankset earlier in the week. Wanted to see if the lower gears would make a difference, so I decided to tackle some hills I'm familiar with. Did Rathfarnham, out to the Blue church, up to Johnny Foxes, on to the viewing point and home. Set loads of PBs!.......on the descents (????)

My PB on the climb from the church to Johnny's as stood since September 2014, and I'm 99% the lowest gear I had at the time was 42/25. Yesterday, with a 34/28, I was 45 seconds slower. Baffled isn't the word....

I went out for my first proper spin yesterday after swapping to a compact from a standard crankset earlier in the week. Wanted to see if the lower gears would make a difference, so I decided to tackle some hills I'm familiar with. Did Rathfarnham, out to the Blue church, up to Johnny Foxes, on to the viewing point and home. Set loads of PBs!.......on the descents (????)

Have you factored in the wind today vs. the wind on your PB? You would have had a headwind today.........

Multiple factors affect each ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Killenagh to Gorey, Arklow, woodenbridge. Back to Arklow, coast road back to courtown, ballygarret, killenagh..home 84km Avg 26.2km
    Lovely morning on the bike in bright sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Garzard

Knocklyon - Sally Gap - Ballinastoe today and back - roughly 50km. Had originally planned on stopping at the gap but decided to continue onto Lough Tay, having not been there almost 2 years.

I can sum today´s cycle up in one sentence -
    Ireland, where you can go for a cycle and get a tan in the morning and pneumonia in the afternoon!

terrydel wrote: »
    where you can go for a cycle and get a tan in the morning and pneumonia in the afternoon!

Why wait that long?

I had to drive to Thurles today.
    On the spin down I used (at various stages):

Sunglasses,
    A/C
    Wipers
    Heater
    Fog Lights (as rain was so heavy)

• Advertisement

Why wait that long?