Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Phil Jones wrote: »
    Did my first commute with SPD's - didn't fall off :)

There's always tomorrow though... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil Jones

cdaly_ wrote: »
    There's always tomorrow though... ;)

Or tonight on the way home!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Phil Jones wrote: »
    Or tonight on the way home!

Only happens when you've got an audience. Watch out for good looking girls with pretty smiles. Bloody death traps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

smacl wrote: »
    Only happens when you've got an audience. Watch out for good looking girls with pretty smiles. Bloody death traps :)

Pretty smiles.... Yep, that's what will distract you..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

50km around Ratoath, curragha, Garristown and back in by Kilbride. Lots of nice old memories up around Garristown

Felt the benefit of the low cadence strength training today, able to push hard in a higher cadence. 30.5kmph average so happy with that

https://www.strava.com/activities/588718817

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Takes me 50 mins just to do 15 km ...envy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Cycled into work for the second time today, seemed to hit every. single. red. light. on the N11 from Cherrywood on, then had a car pull out in front of me on Leeson St at the junction of Hatch Street, so felt like I never had any momentum. Still though, five minutes faster than first time.

As LeMond said, it never gets easier, you just go faster - not that 22.8kmh is fast, but you take my point!

https://www.strava.com/activities/589412418

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Puncture on my way into work this morning. It's the first time I've had to change a tire on a commute to work in 3 years so I was feeling the pressure when I pulled over at great gas 24/7 in Dardistown to change the tube.

All went well except I couldn't properly fasten my hand pump to the valve so I ended doing the last 5km on a half inflated tire, absolutely petrified something else would go wrong!

Not sure if I should replace the tires, they look fairly wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Oymyakon wrote: »

Replace the tires. You'll be kicking yourself when you have a series of punctures because the tires are worn.

Replace the tires. You'll be kicking yourself when you have a series of punctures because the tires are worn.

Any guidelines as to when tires should be replaced? Like any telltale visible signs or if I've cycled x amount of kilometres on them?

It's a cheap Carrera with the stick tires still on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Puncture on my way into work this morning. It's the first time I've had to change a tire on a commute to work in 3 years so I was feeling the pressure when I pulled over at great gas 24/7 in Dardistown to change the tube.

All went well except I couldn't properly fasten my hand pump to the valve so I ended doing the last 5km on a half inflated tire, absolutely petrified something else would go wrong!

replace, i cant remember it (just now) but there is a online store in Germany that has 2 conti GP's & tubes for about 75-80 yo-yo's

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Any guidelines as to when tires should be replaced? Like any telltale visible signs or if I've cycled x amount of kilometres on them?

Depends on the tires, some have wear indicators on them. But if they're badly cut up and you've had them 3 years it's probably not a bad idea to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

if they begin to look like sh1te/start getting a few punctures, get them off. I was also advised on here to help maintain tyres, to deflate the tyre every few weeks to make sure that there is nothing(stones/glass) in there and to keep the pumped to the correct pressure.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was considering changing them anyway so I think I'll go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Been doing quick 25km spins in the morning before work but today decided I needed to go a bit further for stamina instead of speed. So,Clane to Allenwood to Rathangan to Naas and home, 61kms in fairly warm weather. However instead of a nice leisurely spin, I was more than a bit surprised when my cycling app said I was averaging 30kph with the last split at 34kph. I felt good and the short morning spins have helped up my speed but I was surprised how fast I was going regardless. Now 30kph might not be too much to,crow about for younger guys but I'm 47 with a bit of weight to,lose and I was booting it. I thought I might blow up somewhere but apart from the Hill of Allen where I had a bit of a dead legs moment, I kept pushing hard for the full cycle. Very happy with the spin today and looking forward to seeing if my morning spins help me keep the higher speeds up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Only 12.5km, and only at 15m/h, but it there was 150m of climbing involved:P

More importantly I was accompanied by my 2 youngest - 11yo and 12yo, their first road spins on their new Islabikes

They enjoyed it. Suspect I may have an outlet for a couple of spare Garmins, and in a few years time I reckon I'll also be able to pffload a few wheels and other parts as they start their upgrade process....

Also reckon they'll have their club gear on tomorrow and will be waving red flags helping me marshal whichever corner I get in the Ras stage end in Skerries

Got 1.5 km and got a flat. Nothing with me so ended up walking home.
    Ordering some gatorskins during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Passed the 75,000k mark today since getting a Garmin and registering with Strava in 2012. :)

(The Veloviewer figure in my sig below indicates a slightly higher figure as it includes the occasional run/walk - don't know how to get it to show cycles only).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Bike in the shop.

I need a second bike :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Up to Ballygarrett, courtown, Ballymoney, Tara hill, coast road around to Arklow, back old n11 to inch, Gorey, courtown, ballygarret, killenagh..home. 71km Avg 26kmph.
    Best Avg so far this year was just over 27kmph.. would love to get back to near 30 kmph.. I'm hitting 59 though.. doable ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Passed the 75,000k mark today since getting a Garmin and registering with Strava in 2012.

Wow that's some achievement fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My cycle story today goes

Im 40 years old and have cycled since school , absolutely love it. Cycled from my home in mid wales to cork and back in 1999 and loved country so much I decided to move over to Kerry .
    Ive only ever had 2 racers, cheap and fairly cheerfull , bought both second hand. My last one pretty much fell apart at the seams and cost me 400 in 2010 . sold it last Monday for 350 after seeing a fairly good one on done deal for 495 . Only to find guy sold it .

1st time since kid had no racer at all !!!!

Today I said feck it and went all ballsy and bought a brand new bike for 1300. To a lot of you on here that wouldn't be a huge deal but to me it was.

Merida ride 400 105 groupset . 22 gear

So how was my cycle today .... Surely that's the whole point of the post .

6 miles of absolute bliss . life don't get any better than that!!!!

Tomorrow I'm really gona put her to go....if I can get bloody used to where my dam gears are !!!! ;)

My bike cost €1200 n I'm burning road up at 38 yrs old. Get out there and enjoy it as much as you can.

(say bye bye to those notes in your wallet)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

dahat wrote: »
    My bike cost €1200 n I'm burning road up at 38 yrs old. Get out there and enjoy it as much as you can.

(say bye bye to those notes in your wallet)

Notes are overrated anyway ;)

Notes are overrated anyway ;)

Undervalued as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm down with the mammy this weekend in Waterford so brought the bike down.

Every intention of doing a big spin this morning, but after a few too many bottles of Guinness the previous night, I got up anyway and after a bowl of cornflakes got on my way. In my target was Seskin hill, coming out of carrick on suir.

So did well on the road to carrick - headed up what I thought was the prelude to seskin, no it took me up to the top around by carrick golf club.

So quick check of google maps put me right. Unfortunately I had to descend seskin before turning around and climbing it- I think the descent, although great fun, broke me mentally as climbing it I knew it was going to hurt.

Anyway, that out of the way I continued towards rathgormack then onwards towards Mahon cross - my bale put point - left a reasonably easy ride back on the n25 to Waterford, right took me up the climb to the falls. Being the day that was in it I decided to feck it and head up to the falls, up and over then decended precariously into kilrossanty. Had the mother of all bonks there and limped into lemybrian for some much needed sustenance at the petrol station. Spin towards Waterford uneventful, all in all 107km, 1200 climbed at 25kph, which was slower than I had expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Bloggsie wrote: »
    replace, i cant remember it (just now) but there is a online store in Germany that has 2 conti GP's & tubes for about 75-80 yo-yo's

This is it: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/continental-grand-prix-4000-s-ii-set-of-2-tube-race-28-530164

Just ordered a set myself for €75.90 delivered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had a planned 186k yesterday with some hills thrown in, but thanks to getting lost twice manage to add another 20k or so. Major monsoon weather between Holywood and Donard had me squinting with eyes full of suncream, but I seemed to be following the planned route I'd put together on map my ride. Following the course found myself heading off road somewhere around Glen of Imaal. Fine thinks I, I'm on a CX bike, and continues onward. 10 minutes later, I come across a sign saying firing range closed and think the better of continuing. Double back as far as the paved road, take a turn onto another side road and about 45 minutes later find myself back where I'd started! Back to the nearest cross roads, take the garmin off and figure out a better route, and end up in Rathdangan and roads I know. Ring home to say I'll be a couple of hours later than expected, and must've sounded pretty awful as offered a pick up by my lovely wife. Decided against, actually feeling pretty good by Aughavannagh but being all climbed out headed back via Aughrim, Rathdrum, and Laragh, just in time to miss the last coffee. Glenmacnass, Sallygap and home was fantastic catching the last of the sunshine and long shadows on empty roads. Came home after being out for about 11 hours, and Garmin hadn't recorded anything. Don't know if this is because I'd selected a course to follow, but still not impressed. Guessing ~200k-~210k with 2.5k up given planned route was 186k with 2.4k up.

Need to spend more time exploring the backroads around Donard and Glen of Imaal, really beautiful part of Wicklow for cycling. First time past the Balinabarny gap, didn't even know there was one!

387225.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

First spin yesterday on the new bike. 83k and averaged 28.9. Pretty happy with that now, one of my fasted averages on my own.

Knees a bit tender today though. I guess I need to be fitted properly. Also, my arse is rebelling at the new saddle!

https://www.strava.com/activities/590664617

• Advertisement

MrSkinny wrote: »

How puncture proof are these against gatorskins?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement