Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

How puncture proof are these against gatorskins?

Less so, but lighter, roll much better, and according to many, grippier in the wet. Probably most puncture resistant are Marathon plus, at the cost of being heavier and slower rolling. If you under inflate them, you'll always have problems, and it is well worth practising changing a tyre as punctures become a minor issue once you're equipped and easily able to fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

3 glorious days cycling from Holyhead to Shrewsbury with a few detours. Fantastic views, great weather, really fun descents and a few :eek::eek: climbs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/588938244
    https://www.strava.com/activities/589772877
    https://www.strava.com/activities/591108583

Needless to say I'm a tad shattered after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

54km Drogheda to Skerries and back. Literally nothing I'd prefer to do of a morning like that. Loads out. Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

A nice short spin this morning, from house across to ballyedmund,boolavogue, ratheenduff, oulart, out on to main road back to ballycanew, killenagh, home. 46 km Avg 26.2 kmph. Lovely warm sunshine again in sunny southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Comeragh Tour today, 112k planned with Mahon Falls & Seskin included.

As per most Sportive these days the early pace was red hot, upwards of 60km in places.

I climbed Mahon in a PB wbuch was great, cracking weather but on the descent i crashed into a wall when over shooting just after the cattle grid. I landed flat on my back thankfully and aside from road rash type from the ditches and a sore rib cage im ok physically.

My bike on the other is beat hp, front wheel is ****ed, saddle is as well but I'm concerned about the carbon fork most. Looks ok but will need to get it looked at Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

dahat wrote: »
    Comeragh Tour today, 112k planned with Mahon Falls & Seskin included.

As per most Sportive these days the early pace was red hot, upwards of 60km in places.

I climbed Mahon in a PB wbuch was great, cracking weather but on the descent i crashed into a wall when over shooting just after the cattle grid. I landed flat on my back thankfully and aside from road rash type from the ditches and a sore rib cage im ok physically.

My bike on the other is beat hp, front wheel is ****ed, saddle is as well but I'm concerned about the carbon fork most. Looks ok but will need to get it looked at Tuesday.

Sorry to hear that.

I have a free front wheel if you want it. Mavic Aksium in good shape.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.

I have a free front wheel if you want it. Mavic Aksium in good shape.

You serious? One i mashed is a Aksium Elite so ideal really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

dahat wrote: »
    You serious? One i mashed is a Aksium Elite so ideal really.

No bother.

I just checked strava I just caught you on final ramp of Mahon. A black/white Thompson?

I'll pm later about wheel. I've a collection of front wheels

ford2600 wrote: »
    No bother.

I just checked strava I just caught you on final ramp of Mahon. A black/white Thompson?

I'll pm later about wheel. I've a collection of front wheels

Yes that was me! Appreciate the offer, thanks alot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

@dahat, I was worried it was the new bike, but I guess you have not got that yet (obviously greater concern for you).

Anywho, woke up fairly early with the intention of heading out having prepped everything last night, but was quite tired. Got out and headed for Maynooth via Dunboyne, then on towards Summerhill, Dunsany and up to Tara for a wee break for some coffee and soup with delicious bread.

Thought about trying to catch the Ras in Ratoath, but thought I'd arrive too late so went towards Skryne and made a last minute decision to take in Stamullen, before turning off for Naul, Oldtown and home.

I got 126 km at 27.1 km/h. My pacing is not brilliant as I tore through the first 70 km, albeit they were quite flat, took met a bit to get back up to pace after, but but from 90-100 km and after 110 km on I was a good deal slower.

https://www.strava.com/activities/592083891

Loads of cyclists out. There seemed to be a race or a sportive passing Dunboyne and Summerhill when there as marshalls twice directed me thinking I was in it. I ended up on a part of the Ras route, and was half expecting to be enveloped by loads of professional cyclists as I hadn't been stopped at all. In Maynooth I was chatting to someone from the White River Wheelers?, they'd done 70-80 from Dunleer, and then I'm pretty sure our paths crossed on my way to Stamullen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

2 great cycles with family EDit this weekend. 30k Athlone to Moate and back yesterday and 55k Athlone to Streamstown and back today (both on new greenway). Extremely impressed with junior EDits, particularly my eldest (he's 11) who has Aspergers and usually wants to do nothing else but sit around designing Pokemon on his laptop...I could hardly keep up with him today 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Just trying to get the miles in and mostly staying local these days. The corkagh cycle track is nearby and after finding myself on it I found it difficult to leave. It's one of the finest cycling surfaces around and I ended up spinning around it for over 50km. Only did just under 60 in total but managed 28.2km/h average which is really very good for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Did the Tour de Conamara 80km yesterday.
    Fabulous day and a lovely flat course with exception of a tough climb near the end.
    Well organised with good feed stops. The medium jersey I got is lovely but a little short. I'd imagine taller guys would find it of no use.

Had a lovely bbq burger at the end with potato salad for €5. There were also masseuses on site to give a rub down.
    Fabulous scenery around there and Clifden seems like a good town for a summer weekend in the bars. Good atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Took the new bike on her maidan voyage. Killorglin through glencar through ballaghbeamer onto mollsgap , into Killarney back to killorglin , 56 miles, broke 5 of my best wimpy times which I was delighted .

Was chuffed with breaking my best time climbing ballaghbeamer because I don't have a granny wheel any more . wasn't sure if I'd miss the old girl.

The weather was bliss !!!!

The ars is a bit sore tho . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Nice 70k around Wicklow today. Started in Roundwood and took in the Wicklow Gap, Sally Gap via Glenmcnass .. Then down to Kippure estate, then back up to Sally gap and back to Rounwood via Luggala! Great day out there today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Nice 70k around Wicklow today. Started in Roundwood and took in the Wicklow Gap, Sally Gap via Glenmcnass .. Then down to Kippure estate, then back up to Sally gap and back to Rounwood via Luggala! Great day out there today.

You don't drive skoda do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Up Bohernabreena and Ballinascorney today then up Sally Gap and descended down to Laragh. That weather had me in flying form so I headed up Shay Elliot for the first time. Beautiful up there.
    Back down to Laragh for a coffee and then up the Wicklow Gap and Turlough Hill for good measure. By the time I got to Valleymount I was beginning to realise I'd been going faster than I should have been for quite a while. As I came round by the lake the headwind took its toll and I was in limp mode fighting off cramp until Blessington.
    Had a few minutes break there and as I left Blessington another cyclist overtook me but a short while later he was suffering a bit too so we helped each other out down the road. Tbh I don't know if I helped him get there any faster but I tried.
    114km, 1730m @24.9 kmh.
    Legs still sore

https://www.strava.com/activities/591849641/overview

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Up Bohernabreena and Ballinascorney today then up Sally Gap and descended down to Laragh. That weather had me in flying form so I headed up Shay Elliot for the first time. Beautiful up there.
    Back down to Laragh for a coffee and then up the Wicklow Gap and Turlough Hill for good measure. By the time I got to Valleymount I was beginning to realise I'd been going faster than I should have been for quite a while. As I came round by the lake the headwind took its toll and I was in limp mode fighting off cramp until Blessington.
    Had a few minutes break there and as I left Blessington another cyclist overtook me but a short while later he was suffering a bit too so we helped each other out down the road. Tbh I don't know if I helped him get there any faster but I tried.
    114km, 1730m @24.9 kmh.
    Legs still sore

https://www.strava.com/activities/591849641/overview

Looks like you passed me in Larragh

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

Up Kilmashogue, Ticknock into Enniskerry and onto Glencree into the Featherbeds for around 100k today. The blowout after hitting a pothole coming down Stocking Lane at speed could have been done without.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Dublin - Bray - Djouce- Sally Gap - Glendalough - Wicklow Gap - Blessington - Sally Gap - Glencree - Featherbeds - Dublin

Garmin run out of battery at Glencree, but numbers up to that point were 136k and 1780m climbing. I'm assuming that the total for the day was 165k and around 2000m of climbing. One of the the hardest if not the hardest rides to date! Was so bugged by Vivo running out of juice mid-ride that I ordered new Edge 520 and from now on I'll save the watch for running :P

Why can't the weather be like this everyday?

https://www.strava.com/activities/592167167

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

55km killiney to dollymount and back , fantastic day and the view along the coast was stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

godtabh wrote: »
    You don't drive skoda do you?

Nope!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Nope!

Was talking to a lad at Larragh who did a similar ride to you. Thought it might be you

Looks like you passed me in Larragh

I was wearing a Casco helmet with the Visor on today looking all Judge Dredd-like (in my own mind anyway)
    Broke my sunnies this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

118 km with 1100 mtr of climbing on club spin including the lacha , few fellas returning with the club so pace was handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Club lads were going out early this morning, to be home in time to see the RAS stage start in Kildare but I couldn't make it because of my Dad's anniversary mass, often if I don't get out early I don't get out at all but today the stars lined up and I got a permit for the afternoon, I even got out in time to catch the RAS coming over the Hill of Allen.

Afterwards I headed on to Naas and Eadestown, Rathmore and Kilteel where I wheeled off the main road and up over the Lamb, from the easier side admittedly but that's relative.. I think I might have been slower coming down than going up, it felt like it anyway, loads of debris and gravel on the road surface, never inspires confidence.

From the N81 I headed on for the Sally Gap, thought I had a tail wind, seemed to be flying up so was feeling a bit sorry for myself when I had to turn down to the bridge at Ballysmuttan but time wouldn't have allowed the full lap of the gaps, but I did have enough in hand to take in the lumpy road around the back of the hills to Sorrel Hill and down to the lake drive at Lacken. That road isn't in great condition, to say the least, so again I was slow coming back down, much nicer going up, and a nice quiet road that I hadn't done from that side before.

From Lacken it was around the lake to Poulaphouca, into Ballymore Eustace for a cuppa and home, I did seem to have a tailwind home because without ever seeming to push too hard I averaged 32km/hr for the last 30km.

A very pleasant 107km/1230m @26.3km/hr .

https://www.strava.com/activities/592085900

I was wearing a Casco helmet with the Visor on today looking all Judge Dredd-like (in my own mind anyway)
    Broke my sunnies this morning :(

I was in full boards gear

I was in full boards gear

I'm surprised I didn't see you so. I always keep an eye out for the Boardsie kit.

I'm surprised I didn't see you so. I always keep an eye out for the Boardsie kit.

I stopped to fill my water bottles so could have easily been missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

didnt manage to get out over the weekend, I did see a couple mooching along the canal in maynooth, one on a hybrid and the other on a road bike bike with wider tyres. the guy sitting playing his banjo at the ped bridge opposite the train station made me smile, he seemed to be the happiest wee bunny in the world sitting in the sun, picking away on his banjo!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement